Did I Really Just See That.....in Disney World?????

Karolena

My story is a little different from the other ones that have been posted so far. And I would be shocked by this if I heard it anywhere.

So, I was waiting for Dream Along with Mickey all by myself on our last trip. My parents were of on their own, because they weren't interested in the show. And I got their pretty early and I'm sitting toward the front. (I try not to block the views of any children). And their is a family, mom, dad, and two kids who come over next to me. Well, at the time the father wasn't there. A few minutes later he comes over and is putting on a new sweatshirt. It was really cold that week (30's at night) and I guess they had bought sweatshirts because they were not expecting the cold weather, just like my family. And this is what I hear:

"So, you found it?" (Father clearly lost his shirt somewhere)

"No, I just got a new one." And he goes on to explain that he stole the new shirt, because he figured it didn't matter since he already bought one.

I was 18 and I knew this was wrong. I understand that Disney prices can be high, but stealing is wrong and a crime. Plus, what kind of example are you setting for your children? I still think about this and they way some people can act.

In response to some of all of your embarassing/funny moments: At least some good things have come from them. I love that some of you go back to the park and still talk about it. Especially, the person who has done recreations of throwing up in a trash can. It's always great when you can laugh about things like that.

wedway71

so spanking a misbehaved child is never allowed?

In my opinion,a swat on the butt is not what I was talking about .I am talking about taking off a belt and beating a kid for minutes like that lady did.
I am not claiming to be Mr. Perfect parent.I am not, but I dont hit my kids... sorry if that upsets anyone.

eliezrah

In my opinion,a swat on the butt is not what I was talking about .I am talking about taking off a belt and beating a kid for minutes like that lady did.
I am not claiming to be Mr. Perfect parent.I am not, but I dont hit my kids... sorry if that upsets anyone.
Doesn't upset me!

WildLodgeFan

And yet parents like to call childless couples (like us) "selfish"? :veryconfu

This sentence struck me most - though I agree with you on the annoying cell phone guy - why oh why do we feel we need to be in contact every moment on the phone?!?

I wouldn't begin to think childless people are selfish. Having children is a choice and as we seen through this board, there are many who should NEVER become parents. I would much rather have a couple who isn't interested in having children than a couple with children who are disinterested in the children they have - there is simply enough as there is. Okay, end soap box. :)

WildLodgeFan

Yea, personally I havent seen many things like some of the stories here. But I do know that growing up me and my brother got a lot of spankings, the same with my dad when he was growing up. The situation about the mom whipping her child may not have been appropriate, but I know that when I have children of my own, or I should say if I have children of my own, I will def. bring them up the way I was. And that is, if they do somethin that deserves a spanking they sure will get it. Coming up, I never was asked to stop doing something, I was told. And if I was hard headed and didnt listen, out came the belt. What Im trying to say is, everyone disciplines in there own way. And all I know is, maybe 10 to 15 yrs down the road, if I have kids, and am able to bring them to WDW, if they act up like I used to, being verbal wont always cut it.

I hear what your saying, but there's a difference between a quick swat or two on the butt and an extended beating with a belt. I think that's what most people are objecting to.

the-reason14

I hear what your saying, but there's a difference between a quick swat or two on the butt and an extended beating with a belt. I think that's what most people are objecting to.

Well I never got any beatings. Beatings to me would be my dad throwing me around the room and kicking me and stuff, leaving bruises on my body. That never happend. I was always smacked on the butt, either with a board, belt, or hand. And I will raise my kids the same way. Most parents seem like they are too scared to whip their kids, and I think thats sad, because those are the types of parents that end up on those nanny shows, where they have to get someone from across the world to come and tell them how to raise their kids. Its like no, just get ya belt and spank them and make them stop, dont ask. They are the child, you are the adult. If they cry for no reason after you repeatedly tell them to stop, give them a reason to cry. Thats how I look at it.

Kelsybelle

Well I never got any beatings. Beatings to me would be my dad throwing me around the room and kicking me and stuff, leaving bruises on my body. That never happend. I was always smacked on the butt, either with a board, belt, or hand. And I will raise my kids the same way. Most parents seem like they are too scared to whip their kids, and I think thats sad, because those are the types of parents that end up on those nanny shows, where they have to get someone from across the world to come and tell them how to raise their kids. Its like no, just get ya belt and spank them and make them stop, dont ask. They are the child, you are the adult. If they cry for no reason after you repeatedly tell them to stop, give them a reason to cry. Thats how I look at it.

With all due respect and I really mean it, do you have children? I agree that children need discipline but I could never take a belt, board or any object and hit my daughter with it. I feel there are other ways without using physical force in anyway shape or form. I was never spanked by either of my parents and I turned out fine! :p That being said, I think I'll take my leave of this thread and go find some happy Disney things to "talk" about!

Eyorefan

Why I don't agree with his evil sentiment, I have to agree that I dislike them. I have come across many inconsiderate children wearing these and maneuvering wherever they like, with no consideration, who they ram or cutoff as they will around. Of course, part of that is parent's not followingup with them that it's not proper to mow people down. :drevil:

Just the other day we were at the mall and my Daughter whoes 9 saw a boy with Heelies on. She asked me why I would never let her get a pair. I told her, "Because they are dangerous and obnoixous". Right after I said that the boy plowed right into a teenage boy and they were both knocked to the groud. They both got right back up, the teenager was mad and the boy was embarssed. Just imagine if that teenage boy had been someone older. That kind of fall would have really messed them up.

It proved my point though.

JenLUVSmickey

:eek: I just read this and nearly choked to death! ( I was eating!) I think you win this round!

Can you believe it? At Disney? These weren't young kids either. Must have been late 20's earlier 30's. Other people witnessed this too and they were making comments and they didn't even care.

KingStefan

OK, I wasn't going to post this, because I find it a bit sad, but what the heck.

It was late afternoon - I think a bit after the parade. I was standing in front of the emporium on Main St. in MK, reading the windows on the second floor across the street, seeing if I can remember who everybody was, etc. DW and DDs then 13 and 9 are shopping. There's this family next to me, Mom, Dad, two DSs, about 4 and 3, and Mom's Mom (I could tell by the conversation that ensued). Mom and Dad 30-ish, Mom-mom 50-ish.

DSs are in each their own umberella stroller. Dad had his face painted but the kids didn't, which I thought was odd. Not just a cheek figure, but a full-faced tiger.

So, anyway, DS3 drops a little toy of some kind and he leans forward to pick it up. He's not strapped in, and so he does a belly flop, almost right in front of me. The grups were distracted and so didn't see what happened until the kid hit the ground.

I was startled a bit, and my first reaction was to think to bend over and pick the kid up, and ask if he was OK - did he hurt himself, etc. Been there done that many times, so it was just a reflex.

Well, before I can do anything, dad bends over and picks up the kid and slams him hard down into the stroller, saying in an angry voice something like "how many times have I told you not to be more careful! If you lean over like that you're gonna fall out. Now sit there and be quiet, and don't get out of the stroller until I tell you to."

He never asked the kid if he was hurt or anything like that. The kid rubbed his knees and his hands a little bit, and I could see that he was OK, but had skinned them just a little - no blood. He just made a moony face but didn't cry, although it seemed like he wanted to. His brother just sat there looking away the whole time with an expression on his face, half like "this happens all the time", and half like "I'm going to try and ignore this so that I don't catch any flak from dad".

I just stood there with my jaw hitting the ground. I wanted to say something to the dad, but what the heck can you say?

Then he turned quickly to mom, and said (right in front of the kids, loud enough for them to hear) "hey look, I've had about enough of these guys, I've got to get away from them for a while. Do you remember earlier we talked about going to PI and let your mom stay with them at the hotel?"

Mom looked at him with a sad face, and said something like "but.. but I thought we were going to Epcot (or somewhere - idr) first" in a very small voice. Dad came back and said "look, I really need a break, OK, we TALKED about this ALREADY", and started going on, and mom said "ok, ok, calm down".

Then my DW and DDs came out, and we left. I had the urge to go over there now that the initial shock had worn off and just say to the guy calmly, "Hey, I just wanted to let you know that you're a real a$$hole!" and walk away, but he was young and athletic looking, and angry, and I didn't want to start trouble with my ladies there, so I didn't.

One of the things that killed me about the whole thing is that the two boys (beautiful little boys, btw) were just sitting there being well behaved the whole time. Now maybe earlier they were wild or whiney when I didn't see, but all I could think of was "he's had enough of THESE kids? What exactly has he had enough? SMELLING them or what." They were just two little angels. As I said, maybe they were devils a few minutes earlier or even the whole day when I didn't see. I know kids can be that way sometimes.

As I said when I started, it would have been funny if it wasn't so sad. Sorry for the depressing story.

Elonwy

^^^ You know what really bugs me Stefan...I know couples who would love to have children but can't and there are people out there like this who have them and just don't appreciate them at all

O'Malley

Back on the cell phone issue, my wife just reminded me (I completely forgot about this!) that on a recent Kilamanjaro Safari, we had another ridiculous cell phone situation. A European family (man, woman, 12-13 year old girl, I think they were Polish judging by their accent) were sitting in the back row, we were in the second from the back. The woman was on the cell phone the entire ride. Whenever people would "ooohhh" and "ahhh" when they saw an animal (we had an excellent driver/host, one of the best!), the woman would tap the husband's arm, and say, "Photo! Photo!", and the man would take a picture. She remained on the cell phone the entire ride. What killed me was that she was hardly talking at all. The other person was doing all the talking, or maybe it was a really boring conversation, not sure.

Also had this happen on Toy Story Mania. A man and his son walked onto the ride (we were next in line), and I watched as he remained on the cell phone (he was talking business) until their little car ran around the bend. The woman NEXT to us (she had her daughter with her) looked at us and said, "How can someone be on the cell phone during this ride?"

I said, "I hope he scores 200", and we all laughed.

Raven66

^^^ You know what really bugs me Stefan...I know couples who would love to have children but can't and there are people out there like this who have them and just don't appreciate them at all

I was thinking the same thing. It took us 8 yrs to have our beautiful DD. She is 11 now. But I remember thinking when I saw parents be so indifferent to their children that I would gladly take them. We've just been blessed with the one but she is a great one. It just breaks my heart when people treat their children so bad.:(

eliezrah

I know what you mean. :(:( I have so many online friends who have tried IVF over and over or who decided to adopt since they could not get PG or had multiple miscarriages, etc. They want a child so bad and can't get one and would be the best parents, then there are these people we're reading about.

rbrower

I know what you mean. :(:( I have so many online friends who have tried IVF over and over or who decided to adopt since they could not get PG or had multiple miscarriages, etc. They want a child so bad and can't get one and would be the best parents, then there are these people we're reading about.
Yeah, it's very sad.:(:(:(

Swood35

My moment happened last November. My family and I were at the Osborne Lights, and I had sat down on a bench, to try and soak everything in. The snow had started, and a group of little kids were spinning around, trying to catch the flakes. Well, one of them wasn't paying attention, and then, WHAM! :hammer:A little girl had popped me across the face! I was very close to yelling something that sounds like, "What the duck!" :zipit: I knew she did it on accident, and I had a big red mark across my face for the rest of the night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom