Did I Really Just See That.....in Disney World?????

Scooter

Wow...that story with the Mom beating her son with the belt made me sick.

I am no Tree Hugger but my wife and I DO NOT believe in hitting.
My daughter is 13 and son is 10 and we have NEVER hit them in anger.

They both are very well behaved and respectful.

I am sorry there is NEVER an excuse to BEAT your kid if they are bad.
That is a lazy way out of discipline.

I "Beat" my kids when they did something stupid that endangered their lives.
Now let me define "Beat"...... I spanked their behinds until they cried.
When my daughter ran in front of a car without looking, I spanked her. I did not spank her if she told a lie or stole a cookie.

To this day, my kids, who are now 30, 28, and 25 years old, still look both ways before crossing a street.

I would rather spank my kids for almost running in front of a car, than let them get hit by a car and then tell them that " I told you not to do that"

Most annoying thing we saw on our last trip was a 40-something yuppie dad, about 50 pounds overweight, with the dreaded goat-tee beard, baseball cap on backwards, and Bono-style fly sunglasses, take a cell phone call while he was boarding Splash Mountain. He continued to talk throughout the entire ride (he was in front of us). His son (around 10 yrs old) was so excited to be on the ride. The child kept bouncing up and down in his seat, pointing at all the characters, saying things like, "Look dad! There's a bear! Look dad, there's a rabbit hopping by!" He seemed like such a nice kid. But the father stayed on his cell phone, ignoring his child the whole time. Even when we were going over the big drop, the guy says to whomever was on the cell phone, "Hang on a second..." We go down the drop, and sure enough, the guy continues back on the cell phone, talking about trading some stock.

The boy was so excited after the drop. He got a little wet, and he just loved the ride. He was still bouncing up and down when we exited the log, and yep, dad was still on his cell phone. The poor kid's enthusiasm seemed to die off once he realized the ride was over. He now looked depressed. We got to the photo area, and he was excited to see his picture. "Dad! Dad! Look, there we are!" But his dad was still on the cell phone, and walked right by.

And yet parents like to call childless couples (like us) "selfish"? :veryconfu

This to me is almost as sad as the OP's account :(

the-reason14

Yea, personally I havent seen many things like some of the stories here. But I do know that growing up me and my brother got a lot of spankings, the same with my dad when he was growing up. The situation about the mom whipping her child may not have been appropriate, but I know that when I have children of my own, or I should say if I have children of my own, I will def. bring them up the way I was. And that is, if they do somethin that deserves a spanking they sure will get it. Coming up, I never was asked to stop doing something, I was told. And if I was hard headed and didnt listen, out came the belt. What Im trying to say is, everyone disciplines in there own way. And all I know is, maybe 10 to 15 yrs down the road, if I have kids, and am able to bring them to WDW, if they act up like I used to, being verbal wont always cut it.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

Wow how wonderful are you, have you considered writing a coaching book?

Grim Grinner

It seems that on every trip, at some point while walking through Fantasyland, some kid ends up pulling down his mom's tube-style shirt, granting a view at the flesh beneath.

Fantasyland indeed... (or perhaps not, considering some of the specimens.)

The clothing worn in the Florida heat, plus kids who will do anything to scramble up into mom's arms is the culprit behind this reoccurring scenario.

In any case, I get a good laugh, jabs from the wife and yet another tale of tell of my trip.

Scott951

Original Poster
Some kids only learn with corporal punishment. I was brought up with similar punishment and (belts and wooden spoons etc) as were my brothers and sister, And we all turned out fine. If you ask me for to often children aren't punished enough now. Kids seem to get away with anything now talking back hitting the parents, never listening. I've seen it again and again and all I can ever think of is wow I would never have been able to get away with that, but it worked it taught me at a young age how to behave. And I know it was only out of Love that parents administer discipline. Perhaps in this instance the mother may have acted quickly but not knowing the circumstances it's hard to say. Perhaps the child was being terrible all morning and he finally got what was coming to him. I think people are to quick to call 911 or react negatively to corporate punishment. All of that being said though that is just my opinion and I know different things work for different people.

Sorry, I have to disagree in this situation. There is no excuse, and I repeat, no excuse what-so-ever for the Mom to behave the way she did in this situation. I do not like placing judgement on other people's parenting, but to take a belt off in full view of a lot of people and whack your kid repeatedly? She has some serious issues.

Scott951

Original Poster
Most annoying thing we saw on our last trip was a 40-something yuppie dad, about 50 pounds overweight, with the dreaded goat-tee beard, baseball cap on backwards, and Bono-style fly sunglasses, take a cell phone call while he was boarding Splash Mountain. He continued to talk throughout the entire ride (he was in front of us). His son (around 10 yrs old) was so excited to be on the ride. The child kept bouncing up and down in his seat, pointing at all the characters, saying things like, "Look dad! There's a bear! Look dad, there's a rabbit hopping by!" He seemed like such a nice kid. But the father stayed on his cell phone, ignoring his child the whole time. Even when we were going over the big drop, the guy says to whomever was on the cell phone, "Hang on a second..." We go down the drop, and sure enough, the guy continues back on the cell phone, talking about trading some stock.

The boy was so excited after the drop. He got a little wet, and he just loved the ride. He was still bouncing up and down when we exited the log, and yep, dad was still on his cell phone. The poor kid's enthusiasm seemed to die off once he realized the ride was over. He now looked depressed. We got to the photo area, and he was excited to see his picture. "Dad! Dad! Look, there we are!" But his dad was still on the cell phone, and walked right by.

As a parent of 3 kids, this story sickened me. The guy was in Disney World. Having fun with your kids should be your job at the moment. That is what vacations are for, to get away from the office.

I am in Management in a large corporate environment. When I go away on vacation, I do not even think of work and everyone knows better than to call me on my cell phone.

kimmychad

so spanking a misbehaved child is never allowed?

The Mom

Premium Member
Rather than continue an argument, perhaps we can concede that the majority of us can justify a swat on the bottom when a child must be stopped instantly from doing something dangerous, and the danger of an action must be spelled out in no uncertain terms so that the child will always remember it. My children remember the rare instances when I've swatted them, and as a teenager & adult agree that I was justified. Interestingly, both of them involved climbing to reach something in a cabinet, which is a personal "issue" with me as I remember a neighbor's child dying as a result of this when I was around 10 or 11.

But the majority of us agree that hitting a child with a belt for a trivial offense is not acceptable!

There are people who will disagree with both of the above statements, but, IMO, they are in the minority.

Uponastar

Rather than continue an argument, perhaps we can concede that the majority of us can justify a swat on the bottom when a child must be stopped instantly from doing something dangerous, and the danger of an action must be spelled out in no uncertain terms so that the child will always remember it. My children remember the rare instances when I've swatted them, and as a teenager & adult agree that I was justified. Interestingly, both of them involved climbing to reach something in a cabinet, which is a personal "issue" with me as I remember a neighbor's child dying as a result of this when I was around 10 or 11.

But the majority of us agree that hitting a child with a belt for a trivial offense is not acceptable!

There are people who will disagree with both of the above statements, but, IMO, they are in the minority.

Well put.
And I'm in total agreement.

eliezrah

I hope that was a generalized statement about parents! LOL

As a parent of 3 kids, this story sickened me. The guy was in Disney World. Having fun with your kids should be your job at the moment. That is what vacations are for, to get away from the office.

I am in Management in a large corporate environment. When I go away on vacation, I do not even think of work and everyone knows better than to call me on my cell phone.
And if you ever even thought of taking a work related call during a family vacation, I'd take your phone and throw it off ToT!!! LOL

eliezrah

Ohhh, I just remembered another moment that I couldn't believe we saw at WDW! Scott, I can't believe we forgot this one!!!

While we were there on our Disneymoon back in '02, we were having dinner at Cinderella's Castle. We had the best table, right in front of the windows in the center, perfect for viewing the fireworks and seeing Peter Pan chase Captain Hook across the outside of the castle, right in front of us.

Anyway, this family charges into the restaurant (they weren't eating there so we're not sure how they got upstairs) and pushes their way in between our table and the one next to us. The mom tells her kids to go to the window (remember our table was RIGHT THERE) and the kids proceeded to shove their way into the less than 1 foot space between me and the window. Then the same kids reached over to the table next to us and took food off their table!! When the people at that table said something to the mother, she went off on them about not being "very Disney-like" to her kids!! ?! They barged into the restaurant, shoved their way practically on our laps while we were eating and took food off a stranger's plate and they were saying WE weren't Disney-like?!

That's when the CMs working there realized what happened and asked them to leave. I'm not sure if they were kicked out of the park or just the restaurant, but the mom was grumbling the whole time, and making a scene, about how she was just trying to let her kids see the fireworks.

Scott951

Original Poster
Ohhh, I just remembered another moment that I couldn't believe we saw at WDW! Scott, I can't believe we forgot this one!!!

While we were there on our Disneymoon back in '02, we were having dinner at Cinderella's Castle. We had the best table, right in front of the windows in the center, perfect for viewing the fireworks and seeing Peter Pan chase Captain Hook across the outside of the castle, right in front of us.

Anyway, this family charges into the restaurant (they weren't eating there so we're not sure how they got upstairs) and pushes their way in between our table and the one next to us. The mom tells her kids to go to the window (remember our table was RIGHT THERE) and the kids proceeded to shove their way into the less than 1 foot space between me and the window. Then the same kids reached over to the table next to us and took food off their table!! When the people at that table said something to the mother, she went off on them about not being "very Disney-like" to her kids!! ?! They barged into the restaurant, shoved their way practically on our laps while we were eating and took food off a stranger's plate and they were saying WE weren't Disney-like?!

That's when the CMs working there realized what happened and asked them to leave. I'm not sure if they were kicked out of the park or just the restaurant, but the mom was grumbling the whole time, and making a scene, about how she was just trying to let her kids see the fireworks.

Ahhhh...I remember that well. That Mom didn't even ask if it was OK for her kids to stand by the window right in front of you. She was a real piece of work.

I also remember that a few minutes after they were kicked out, another Mom came to you all timid (after seeing what just happened) and asked nicely if her two kids could stand by the window as they were eating in the back and could not see the fireworks. Of course you said yes and those two kids were very polite and even thanked you when they left.

Talk about a contrast in upbringings.

eliezrah

That's right! And that second mom told her kids to stay away from our table so they wouldn't bother us. Since they were so sweet and polite about it, we told them to move closer to the window. See, it pays to be polite!!

JustPlainBill

Luckily, I haven't had many "OMG" moments, if any, at WDW as described here on this thread. Wow..and what stories! Only once did something happen that I thought was more disturbing or odd than epic as some of the stories have been so far. I was in a men's room in fantasyland last summer, I forget the exact location. It was crowded as men's rooms go. I was washing my hands and just about to leave when a middled-aged man burst in with two young girls in-tow, about 11 and 13 years old and pulled them past the line of men and boys standing at the urinals with their businesses out for any and all to see. Some guys aren't as discrete as others and and don't always have all their "gear stowed" before turning away from the wall. These young girls looked mortified, in fact, they were pulling away and clearly not wanting to be there by the look on their faces. I was observing as they were waiting for the next available stall, the father didn't go in the stall with the girls, which was my main concern, not knowing if this man really was their father, he waited outside. I don't know what the circumstance was but I felt bad for them and angry at their father for being irresponsible. These girls were plenty old enough to use the women's washroom by themselves and I noticed after leaving, the women's washroom didn't look to be more busier than the men's. I've been to large public events (state fairs, concerts) where "en masse" women have taken over the men's room. I understand and accepted it, I have seen the lines outside some women's restrooms and I'm glad I don't have to wait as long. I have a wife and two daughters, I understand the circumstance. This didn't seem to apply in this case. I was baffled as to why any father would to subject their daughters to such an experience. It's different with men than it is with women when it comes to locker rooms and restrooms, I was not observing this occurrence as a man, as much as I was as a father.

eliezrah

OMG 11 & 13 year old girls in the men's room? Poor girls!! You're right, they are plenty old enough to go into the women's room by themselves. And if they were there alone with their father and he was nervous, he could always wait by the door so he's close enough to call out to them if need be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom