DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

Sped2424

There's more to a Disney park then rides, especially, in my opinion, DHS. Entertainment has always been an integral part of DHS, with all the live shows on property. While we might not be getting as many rides as some would like, I'd wager that the entertainment offerings would also increase.
Seems more like replacing what's already there than an increase. No one is saying there isn't more to a disney park than attractions, but gosh doesn't it help when they are more of them in terms of capacity. The point is when comparing DHS to almost every other Disney park it pales when it comes to things to do especially attraction wise. I am all for new additional entertainment but that doesn't seem to be happening. Also for a park dedicated to showmanship it's a bit odd that the Disney park with an actual theater dedicated to amazing productions is DCA.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There's more to a Disney park then rides, especially, in my opinion, DHS. Entertainment has always been an integral part of DHS, with all the live shows on property. While we might not be getting as many rides as some would like, I'd wager that the entertainment offerings would also increase.
Like Streetmosphere?

There is a planned Disney Jr update next year though.

Next Big Thing

Like Streetmosphere?

There is a planned Disney Jr update next year though.
And we all know that Disney doesn't even pay for those updates, the network does.

BTW, whatever happened to the Fantasmic area rumors? Daytime show? Update to main show? I would think this would be a prime time to update Fant! sometime over the next few years. The park isn't drawing the numbers to fill the park even with 1/3 of it closed off and the SW Fireworks still would allow the park to have a nighttime show during a potential Fant! refurbishment.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
And we all know that Disney doesn't even pay for those updates, the network does.

BTW, whatever happened to the Fantasmic area rumors? Daytime show? Update to main show? I would think this would be a prime time to update Fant! sometime over the next few years. The park isn't drawing the numbers to fill the park even with 1/3 of it closed off and the SW Fireworks still would allow the park to have a nighttime show during a potential Fant! refurbishment.
Fant, Theatre of the Stars, Mermaid.... I have no solid info for the mid term. I hope they all happen though.

Next Big Thing

Fant, Theatre of the Stars, Mermaid.... I have no solid info for the mid term. I hope they all happen though.
Out of all of those I really want something like an enclosure of TotS and a port of the Tangled Musical from the cruise ship (or something to that effect). BatB is an embarrassment imo and that theatre could be something special if enclosed. The problem with Mermaid is it's more of a black box setting in comparison. Nothing too grand can happen there.

More of a reason just to get rid of it along with the rest of animation if you ask me. Start from scratch.

djkidkaz

But look at what Universal is building. Transformers for example uses the Spider-Man ride system so little had to be spent on R&D, the building has minimal theming on the exterior and the queue is just a bunch of boxes screwed to the wall with switches you can press and some flat screen TV's.

It shouldn't explain the glacial pace but it unfortunately does. Having been a union worker speed is not typically the top priority. Getting your break on schedule seems to be the most important thing to a lot of workers. (Safety is also a high priority) It's quite frustrating to have to slow down to match the lazy guys who are obviously just there for the paycheck yet have so much seniority they could get you fired for looking at them the wrong way. In some ways this issue could be addressed with payout incentives that are basically bonuses for the construction company for getting the project completed ahead of schedule but I don't think Disney does this mostly for monetary reasons.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Mike S

But look at what Universal is building. Transformers for example uses the Spider-Man ride system so little had to be spent on R&D, the building has minimal theming on the exterior and the queue is just a bunch of boxes screwed to the wall with switches you can press and some flat screen TV's.
Still better than anything in TSL and it took much shorter. It was also being built in the middle of the park vs. TSL which is completely away from all guests.

Goofyernmost

Could we please stop quoting the $100.00 a day ticket price when almost no one ever pays that amount. The average is about $60.00 per day and there still is $60.00 worth of stuff to do. No one is forced, at gunpoint, to pay a nickel to go there. If we don't think it is worth the entrance price, all we simply have to do is not to go there. See how simple that was. Now lets move on and try and keep the drama down.

Dice50

Could we please stop quoting the $100.00 a day ticket price when almost no one ever pays that amount. The average is about $60.00 per day and there still is $60.00 worth of stuff to do. No one is forced, at gunpoint, to pay a nickel to go there. If we don't think it is worth the entrance price, all we simply have to do is not to go there. See how simple that was. Now lets move on and try and keep the drama down.

While I agree, no one is forcing people to go to DHS, the problem to me is a lot of people plan vacations and think "cool let's go to this Disney theme park" expecting it to have 20+ rides like you know, a theme park is supposed to do. I believe DHS might have 5 rides at this point? Seems almost like fraud at this point if they're advertising it like a regular theme park.

They should either charge $30 to come in and have fun exploring a half functioning theme park with 5 great rides or just shut it down till TSL and SWL are finished and then add 2-3 more E-tickets. Then you can re-open it, charge $100, and you'll have a theme park with 12-15 rides. People are mistaken if they think most people care about shows or walk through attractions. Rides are what 95% of people care about.

Goofyernmost

While I agree, no one is forcing people to go to DHS, the problem to me is a lot of people plan vacations and think "cool let's go to this Disney theme park" expecting it to have 20+ rides like you know, a theme park is supposed to do. I believe DHS might have 5 rides at this point? Seems almost like fraud at this point if they're advertising it like a regular theme park.

They should either charge $30 to come in and have fun exploring a half functioning theme park with 5 great rides or just shut it down till TSL and SWL are finished and then add 2-3 more E-tickets. Then you can re-open it, charge $100, and you'll have a theme park with 12-15 rides. People are mistaken if they think most people care about shows or walk through attractions. Rides are what 95% of people care about.
Well then they need to look at the list of attractions don't they? Besides not everyone is looking for rides constantly. If, like when it first opened, if you like shows and other things there is plenty to do in DHS even in it's present state. I don't understand an overwhelming desire to go someplace if you don't even know what is there to be seen. Explain that to me please.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

You are absolutely everything that's wrong with the themed entertainment industry today, congratulations.

The over-medicated ADD generation needs RIDESRIDESRIDES!!!!!!11!!!1! or they're not happy. DHS has never been about rides, nor should it be. It has a lot of problems in its current state, but an increase in the number of non-ride "attractions" would be just as valuable to help solve those problems as new rides would be.

I don't go to the parks just for the rides, it is the all over experience I want. Sometimes it is nice just to wander round take in the sights and sounds or grab a drink and something to eat and pass the time people watching.
This guy gets it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom