DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

Thanks phoenicians

Except the budget for Hollywood has been rumored to be around 2 billion if I remember. I billion is the price of just Toys and Star Wars. Which is what? 4 Attractions? I don't know where you are getting 5 new rides. Star Wars has 2 e's, and toys story is getting 2 new attractions one a c and the other in a state of limbo between d and nonexistent. The mickey ride and everything else that you are including is apart of the 2 BILLION price tag if my understanding is correct. And given marni's comment on how he was amazed that the construction area of Toy's and Star Wars costed around 1 billion that seems to cement that argument.
The mickey attraction is the 5th new "experience". On the budget that's my bad I thought it had been lowered a bit. Still though if its 1 billion for TSL and SWL my big question is can the access road and parking garage(s) cost 1.3 billion?

Sped2424

The mickey attraction is the 5th new "experience". On the budget that's my bad I thought it had been lowered a bit. Still though if its 1 billion for TSL and SWL my big question is can the access road and parking garage(s) cost 1.3 billion?
The mickey may be the 5th but again that's not included in the 1 billion for TSL SWL like you said. As for the access road and parking garage that I have no clue. Last I checked the parking plans are still up for consideration with they know they are expanding but for what that is it's still being debated upon. But the rest of the money is going to things like the mickey attraction and possible other upgrades and changes. Let's hope they know how to actually spend it this time round..

Thanks phoenicians

I think it's a little over 2 billion if I remember right. 2.3 sticks out in my head. But the 350k to both Epcot & MK was also approved at that time, speaking of which does anyone know what that money was allotted for?
I think Epcot has been given a bigger budget at least I thought i read that in one of the Epcot threads. MK the only thing I can think of is whatever is replacing Stitch. Not sure if the 50th celebration is included in that.

MagicHappens1971

I think Epcot has been given a bigger budget at least I thought i read that in one of the Epcot threads. MK the only thing I can think of is whatever is replacing Stitch. Not sure if the 50th celebration is included in that.
Yeah I believe after the Future World revamp plans they are planning on giving Epcot a bigger budget, unless they're reallocating funds from the original approved budget for DHS, MK & Epcot. I doubt the 50th is included because if we get a new parade and a new firework show id imagine it cost more than that, especially with the hopeful "extra pixie dust" like DL did to their classic attractions for their 60th.

Thanks phoenicians

The mickey may be the 5th but again that's not included in the 1 billion for TSL SWL like you said. As for the access road and parking garage that I have no clue. Last I checked the parking plans are still up for consideration with they know they are expanding but for what that is it's still being debated upon. But the rest of the money is going to things like the mickey attraction and possible other upgrades and changes. Let's hope they know how to actually spend it this time round..
I feel that the whole parking situation could end up being a little overkill kind of like how DAK is on most days a concrete jungle in the parking lot. Either way once the dust settles I really hope they come back around like they are going to do at DCA and put a lot of money into Animation and Echo and don't just let the park rot again. I will admit though with those numbers DCA most definitely got the better deal unless we're missing something.

Sped2424

I feel that the whole parking situation could end up being a little overkill kind of like how DAK is on most days a concrete jungle in the parking lot. Either way once the dust settles I really hope they come back around like they are going to do at DCA and put a lot of money into Animation and Echo and don't just let the park rot again. I will admit though with those numbers DCA most definitely got the better deal unless we're missing something.
To be fair DAK still hasn't opened avatar land yet! And given the immense popularity of Star Wars and how full the parking lot gets even now with almost nothing to boast at DHS I would say an expansion is sorely needed. I'd prefer a garage but let's see if that comes to fruition vs a parking lot expansion. Something desperately needs to be done with animation and the empty building behind it as the space is huge and it's just so wasted as is atm. And I did the reading DCA definitly got more bang for the buck for the 1 billion mark imo.

MagicHappens1971

I'd love to see them connect Sunset to Animation some how and make an awesome expansion there. They could make more Hollywood themed attractions? I saw someone mentioned bringing back Snow Whites Scary Adventures and putting it in Carthay Circle. I can't ever see that happening but still. Although with the rumors of Tangled replacing VOTLM, I don't see how they'd replace the land. It would be nice if they started building backwards behind Launch Bay and once it closes install all the stuff for the new attraction and have it ready really quickly. Although we know that's not happening

Thanks phoenicians

To be fair DAK still hasn't opened avatar land yet! And given the immense popularity of Star Wars and how full the parking lot gets even now with almost nothing to boast at DHS I would say an expansion is sorely needed. I'd prefer a garage but let's see if that comes to fruition vs a parking lot expansion. Something desperately needs to be done with animation and the empty building behind it as the space is huge and it's just so wasted as is atm. And I did the reading DCA definitly got more bang for the buck for the 1 billion mark imo.
True though who knows how much of an attendance boast it'll get. I'm thinking it won't be nearly as big of a boast as when Potter opened and when SWL will open. DHS definitely needs parking expansion I'm just worried we'll get endless miles of parking that'll just look ridiculous 20+ years out so I'd much prefer a garage(s). Agreed Animation is going to be completely deserted once SWL opens. Either gut the building and re use it or knock it down for a connection to Sunset and expansion. DCA got the better bang for their buck but at least we didn't get stuck with GOTG tower (knock on wood).

roj2323

Disney uses union construction workers, Universal does not. Not that it justifies the glacial pace of Disney's construction.
It shouldn't explain the glacial pace but it unfortunately does. Having been a union worker speed is not typically the top priority. Getting your break on schedule seems to be the most important thing to a lot of workers. (Safety is also a high priority) It's quite frustrating to have to slow down to match the lazy guys who are obviously just there for the paycheck yet have so much seniority they could get you fired for looking at them the wrong way. In some ways this issue could be addressed with payout incentives that are basically bonuses for the construction company for getting the project completed ahead of schedule but I don't think Disney does this mostly for monetary reasons.

Mike S

I'd take a Volcano Bay, Transformers, Reign of Kong, Diagon Alley, Hogsmeade, and Despicable Me for roughly the same price of Star Wars, Avatar, and Toy Story Land.

Disney's budgets are out of control.
That would be more accurate if including VB. At least I think. Have we even gotten a budget for SWL yet? I don't think we have.
Right now DHS is at DCA circa 2007-2008 with a major expansion looming.
Just focusing on this one part DCA had way more attractions than DHS at this point before the expansion. DHS needed a much more aggressive plan.

roj2323

Just focusing on this one part DCA had way more attractions than DHS at this point before the expansion. DHS needed a much more aggressive plan.

I absolutely agree. We needed to see an increase in total rides and attractions and while what we are getting with Star wars land in particular is a step in the right direction it's only one step in what needs to be a staircase.

JUFL2019

That "empty building" contains a rather large number of offices and cast members. It's quite the opposite of empty.

Sped2424

That "empty building" contains a rather large number of offices and cast members. It's quite the opposite of empty.
The giant structure that was once an animation department and is now used for backstage cast offices which can be moved literally anywhere is a giant waste of space given it's previous use which again as I said might as well be an empty building.

Sped2424

That would be more accurate if including VB. At least I think. Have we even gotten a budget for SWL yet? I don't think we have.

What he said DHS WISHES it was DCA circa 2007. DHS is DCA But like during it's actual construction specifically the halfway point.

Mike S

I absolutely agree. We needed to see an increase in total rides and attractions and while what we are getting with Star wars land in particular is a step in the right direction it's only one step in what needs to be a staircase.
In the end we'll have 9 rides when we started with 6 before BLT closed. They needed to finally bring that number above 10.

Matt_Black

There's more to a Disney park then rides, especially, in my opinion, DHS. Entertainment has always been an integral part of DHS, with all the live shows on property. While we might not be getting as many rides as some would like, I'd wager that the entertainment offerings would also increase.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom