DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

doctornick

You are absolutely everything that's wrong with the themed entertainment industry today, congratulations.

The over-medicated ADD generation needs RIDESRIDESRIDES!!!!!!11!!!1! or they're not happy. DHS has never been about rides, nor should it be. It has a lot of problems in its current state, but an increase in the number of non-ride "attractions" would be just as valuable to help solve those problems as new rides would be.

While I agree with this, I also think there is some baseline number of rides a park should have. IMHO a "show heavy" park should still have something like 12-15 rides as a baseline and DHS will be quite short of that even when the current plans are complete.

I don't think anyone expects DHS or any of the non-castle parks to suddenly have 40+ rides, but asking for more than a dozen doesn't mean that it's just "RIDESRIDESRIDES!!!!!!11!!!1!" I think it is embarrassing that a park that has been open for over 25 years only has 5 rides currently opening.

DinoInstitute

I feel if they add a parade, it will boost capacity... It doesn't have to be long
Parades don't really boost capacity, people are just out on the streets watching it. But nonetheless I do very much agree with you, they really should have one to provide some sort of needed entertainment.
Wouldn't even need to build something new, don't they have the Pixar block party bash parade stored still?
Or the stars and cars one, right?

Dice50

While I agree with this, I also think there is some baseline number of rides a park should have. IMHO a "show heavy" park should still have something like 12-15 rides as a baseline and DHS will be quite short of that even when the current plans are complete.

I don't think anyone expects DHS or any of the non-castle parks to suddenly have 40+ rides, but asking for more than a dozen doesn't mean that it's just "RIDESRIDESRIDES!!!!!!11!!!1!" I think it is embarrassing that a park that has been open for over 25 years only has 5 rides currently opening.

Nailed it.

Mike S

I believe if you investigate that a little closer you will find that the vast majority of the day tickets are for MK. Almost no one buys a day ticket for DHS unless they are brain dead. (not out of the reach of possibility, but still) Before anyone would want to spend money for a day ticket for DHS they would have to have a reason for going that is important. Most will go when it is part of a multi-day ticket, but, I know I wouldn't ever think about a day ticket to there at this point in time.
Well that comment wasn't really about sane people like you and me ;)

I believe it was @ParentsOf4 who had a story about people he knew that insisted on buying a one day ticket on every day of their trip rather than just going for multi day :confused:

Agree with this 100%

12-15 ride total for DHS and DAK (for now) and at least some kind of C or D Ticket ride/attraction in each country at Epcot with maybe one E at the back to act as a weenie. Mt. Fuji? Matterhorn? Both? Something new? Idc, just get it done.

Last edited:

Thanks phoenicians

Exactly! By my count DHS will still only have 9 rides after this. A renovated animation courtyard adding maybe two rides would get us to 11 then maybe an IJ ride in Echo lake replacing the stunt show would get us to 12. If we also had a proper pixar land we probably could've had closer to 15. I saw a list somewhere of the standings of Disney ride numbers by park if I can find I'll post it though I think most know who the bottom feeders are.

Thanks phoenicians

Agree with this 100%

12-15 ride total for DHS and DAK (for now) and at least some kind of C or D Ticket ride/attraction in each country at Epcot with maybe one E at the back to act as a weenie. Mt. Fuji? Matterhorn? Both? Something new? Idc, just get it done.
Martin had said he liked the WS plans so I actually feel kinda optimistic about what could happen there. I'd like to see some new rides as well as some countries retaining an updated show.

Goofyernmost

Well that comment wasn't really about sane people like you and me ;)

I believe it was @ParentsOf4 who had a story about people he knew that insisted on buying a one day ticket on every day of their trip rather than just going for multi day :confused:
That comes under... you can't fix stupid! In my mind, I can't even consider them to be sane enough to be worried about what they do or whether or not they get their moneys worth at all. I know I'm not planning on losing any sleep about it. ;)

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

I don't see why. A park could have zero rides and still be a full park if there was enough else to do.

Thanks phoenicians

I was just thinking about what could replace Volm since I thought it was mentioned it'll go at some point (unless that's an old rumor) and was questioning what could really go in that space. Does it even have that big of a capacity? From what I remember it didn't but it's been a few years since I've taken the time to see the show. I'd rather them knock down that whole courtyard but I guess u wouldn't mind them gutting Volm in favor of a 3D or 4D show since we'll likely have live action elsewhere.

Mike S

Yeah, I don't think they'd even think about touching Indy until at least TSL is finished. It's a popular show that eats up a big chunk of people at a time; you don't want to lose that without having something else for those people to do.
When they do use it I hope they actually expand the park boundary into the parking lot like what they would've done for Star Wars in that space.

cheezbat

That would be more accurate if including VB. At least I think. Have we even gotten a budget for SWL yet? I don't think we have.
Nope. Take Avland out. That costs somewhere between $600mil-$1billion. The reported cost of JUST Star Wars and Toy Story is between $1billion-$1.3 billion.
The numbers I've heard thrown around for what I mentioned were: Diagon Alley: $265-$300 million, Hogsmeade: $265 million, Transformers: $80-$100 million, Despicable Me: $60 million, Skull Island: $140 million, and Volcano Bay $230-$270 million. If those numbers are accurate, then that all cost between $1 billion-$1.2 billion.

Way more stuff for Universals money than what you'd get from Disney. (At least they'll have pretty rock work! Lol)

Mike S

Nope. Take Avland out. That costs somewhere between $600mil-$1billion. The reported cost of JUST Star Wars and Toy Story is between $1billion-$1.3 billion.
The numbers I've heard thrown around for what I mentioned were: Diagon Alley: $265-$300 million, Hogsmeade: $265 million, Transformers: $80-$100 million, Despicable Me: $60 million, Skull Island: $140 million, and Volcano Bay $230-$270 million. If those numbers are accurate, then that all cost between $1 billion-$1.2 billion.

Way more stuff for Universals money than what you'd get from Disney. (At least they'll have pretty rock work! Lol)
Diagon was actually around $400 million. I've been corrected on that a few times. I'm really surprised at the cost of VB. I know it's mostly slides but add in all the theming and detail and I'm stunned it's that low. Meanwhile Disney can only give us TSL for that price.

*smh*

How much did TL and BB cost?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom