DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

doctornick

I've been to both the original Sound Show (in fact I got chosen to go up and participate in that) and Sounds Dangerous. I liked them both. The Sound Show was fun and interesting and I marveled at the originality of S.D. in how it attempted to show, in darkness, the significance of proper sound effects. Unfortunately, most could not get past the darkness and understand what they were attempting to do. Oh, well... not everything works. I admire their courage in trying though.

I liked Sounds Dangerous well enough and don't think it deserves the hate it gets on these pages.

Goofyernmost

I liked Sounds Dangerous well enough and don't think it deserves the hate it gets on these pages.
I agree... the hate comes from people not understanding the point of the whole thing. Disney didn't help by not explaining what was happening and why, but, I guess they just felt that most would get it. Most didn't!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I was looking at this image and it really hit home. How are only 3 new rides and a flat ride the net result of it?

Not to mention a little over $ 1.3 billion. Which is more than double in today's money what the park cost to open in 1989.

image.jpeg

I'm sure people will no doubt counter this. That's fine. It took a photo like this to bring it home to Michelle and I.

Last edited:

po1998

I was looking at this image and it really hit home. How are only 3 new rides and a flat ride the net result of it?

Not to mention a little over $ 1.3 billion. Which is more than double in today's money what the park cost to open in 1989.

View attachment 157792

I'm sure people will no doubt counter this. That's fine. It took a photo like this to bring it home to Michelle.
Equally bad Avatar Land and its 1billion(or more) land with two attractions. I'm sticking to my guns, the rockwork of SWL, the trees/floating mountains of Avatar Land, and theming in general only goes so far. I'm not saying don't theme, or do a really crappy job at it, but don't go overboard. While it will be fun to look at for all of 10 minutes, the question then becomes, "okay what are we going to do next?".

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Is there any chance (I know I'm just trying to hope and be an optimist) that there's another part of this expansion that will be announced maybe once SWL is up and running? I just feel like parts of this park will feel so out of place especially Animation and IJ stunt show. Not to mention the park needs more.
Not that I know of. I'd love to be wrong but nothing substantial has been budgeted for to date until well into the next decade.

Thanks phoenicians

Not that I know of. I'd love to be wrong but nothing substantial has been budgeted for to date until well into the next decade.
Interesting that you say well in to next decade. If SWL opens late 19 or early 20 what I think could happen, and this is just a guess, they finish up the Epcot revamp and whatever MK has for the 50th then maybe in the mid 2020's announce something again for DHS. I realize that isn't ideal but its better then leaving the park to rot with no expansion for many decades. Once Epcot and MK get their stuff by 2021 I'd assume DAK and DHS would be up next in the queue for expansion.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Equally bad Avatar Land and its 1billion(or more) land with two attractions. I'm sticking to my guns, the rockwork of SWL, the trees/floating mountains of Avatar Land, and theming in general only goes so far. I'm not saying don't theme, or do a really crappy job at it, but don't go overboard. While it will be fun to look at for all of 10 minutes, the question then becomes, "okay what are we going to do next?".

Avatar land is not equally bad. Not even close. Pandora is being built at a level far superior to TSL. 2 rides or not.

po1998

Avatar land is not equally bad. Not even close. Pandora is being built at a level far superior to TSL. 2 rides or not.
I was commenting on a post that stated the ridiculous cost of two lands(TSL AND SWL) that is netting the park 3 new attractions and a flat ride, and I replied that Avatar Land and its 1 billion dollar cost which also has a WHOPPING two attractions is equally bad in that regard. I was not comparing the theming of TSL to Avatar Land. Not sure where you got that from.

cheezbat

I'd take a Volcano Bay, Transformers, Reign of Kong, Diagon Alley, Hogsmeade, and Despicable Me for roughly the same price of Star Wars and Toy Story Land.

Disney's budgets are out of control.

djkidkaz

View attachment 157792

I'm sure people will no doubt counter this. That's fine. It took a photo like this to bring it home to Michelle and I.

I think it's just the way theme parks have changed over the years. People love to toot Universals horn right now but what is happening to the theme parks is because of them. It all goes back to Potter and the theming of the land, the special merchandise, the specific food. They see it as not just about rides anymore, it's the experience. I don't think they see it as SWL has only two rides, they see it as it has numerous experiences. 2 attractions, meet and greets, the cantina, blue milk, photo ops with the falcon, etc.

#ThanksPotter

dm11

I think it's just the way theme parks have changed over the years. People love to toot Universals horn right now but what is happening to the theme parks is because of them. It all goes back to Potter and the theming of the land, the special merchandise, the specific food. They see it as not just about rides anymore, it's the experience. I don't think they see it as SWL has only two rides, they see it as it has numerous experiences. 2 attractions, meet and greets, the cantina, blue milk, photo ops with the falcon, etc.

#ThanksPotter

I think that's a fair statement. And as much as I like the Potter lands, they do lack rides, especially DA. But on the other hand, Disney's investment money-wise is way higher than Uni's, with very similar end result (from what we now know)? Theming or not, the land(s) will exist because of the rides, not rides because of theming. If you look at it that way, Pandora will come with a price tag of $500m per ride! SWL and TSL are a bit better - $325m per ride :). That is just mind boggling. I simply do not get what that money is going to. And yes, I know it is not my money but Disney's and they are perfectly within their rights to spend it any way they want but I am just dumbfounded. Simply do not get it.

Sped2424

View attachment 157792

I just don't get how budgeting goes so far out with these projects. It just baffles me I mean let's even compare dcas redo which for 1 billion got them a bit more than just the attractions we are getting.

I think it may have something to do with the same reason that uni can build so much more stuff in less time than what Disney can! I'm kinda wondering if they have a good ole boys system going for getting the people to do the work!

MagicHappens1971

I think it may have something to do with the same reason that uni can build so much more stuff in less time than what Disney can! I'm kinda wondering if they have a good ole boys system going for getting the people to do the work!
Disney uses union construction workers, Universal does not. Not that it justifies the glacial pace of Disney's construction.

Thanks phoenicians

I just don't get how budgeting goes so far out with these projects. It just baffles me I mean let's even compare dcas redo which for 1 billion got them a bit more than just the attractions we are getting.
Actually I'd say it's pretty equal I mean here you're getting 2 new lands/5 new rides now I do get that capacity will not go up much and neither will the overall all attraction count, but that is a decent amount of new experiences. They got new mermaid, TSMM, World of Color, Radiator springs, Luigi's, a mater's whip ride, and a new entrance area/buena vista street. We'll get what could be two e tickets in SWL, a coaster, a flat ride, and a mickey dark ride that'll probably be a solid D ticket. This isn't including new shows, dining, and a new access road/parking into the park as well. Now all that being said at both places the money should be able to get you a lot more than what we got. I actually think DHS and DCA are in a very similar place. Right now DHS is at DCA circa 2007-2008 with a major expansion looming. Its now been 4 years since Carsland opened and by the time all of the Marvel stuff is complete it'll probably have been about 7 or so. Kind of like how I think SWL (park headliner like Cars) will open then in 7-10 years maybe the come back and focus on Animation and Echo.

Sped2424

Actually I'd say it's pretty equal I mean here you're getting 2 new lands/5 new rides now I do get that capacity will not go up much and neither will the overall all attraction count, but that is a decent amount of new experiences. They got new mermaid, TSMM, World of Color, Radiator springs, Luigi's, a mater's whip ride, and a new entrance area/buena vista street. We'll get what could be two e tickets in SWL, a coaster, a flat ride, and a mickey dark ride that'll probably be a solid D ticket. This isn't including new shows, dining, and a new access road/parking into the park as well. Now all that being said at both places the money should be able to get you a lot more than what we got. I actually think DHS and DCA are in a very similar place. Right now DHS is at DCA circa 2007-2008 with a major expansion looming. Its now been 4 years since Carsland opened and by the time all of the Marvel stuff is complete it'll probably have been about 7 or so. Kind of like how I think SWL (park headliner like Cars) will open then in 7-10 years maybe the come back and focus on Animation and Echo.
Except the budget for Hollywood has been rumored to be around 2 billion if I remember. 1 billion is the price of just Toys and Star Wars. Which is what? 4 Attractions? Star Wars has 2 e's, and toys story is getting 2 new attractions one a c and the other in a state of limbo between d and nonexistent. The mickey ride and everything else that you are including is apart of the 2 BILLION price tag if my understanding is correct. And given Marni's comment on how he was amazed that the construction area of Toy's and Star Wars costed around 1 billion that seems to cement that argument.

MagicHappens1971

Except the budget for Hollywood has been rumored to be around 2 billion if I remember. I billion is the price of just Toys and Star Wars. Which is what? 4 Attractions? I don't know where you are getting 5 new rides. Star Wars has 2 e's, and toys story is getting 2 new attractions one a c and the other in a state of limbo between d and nonexistent. The mickey ride and everything else that you are including is apart of the 2 BILLION price tag if my understanding is correct. And given marni's comment on how he was amazed that the construction area of Toy's and Star Wars cost around 1 billion that seems to cement that argument.
I think it's a little over 2 billion if I remember right. 2.3 sticks out in my head. But the 350k to both Epcot & MK was also approved at that time, speaking of which does anyone know what that money was allotted for?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom