DCA Setting Records and WDW

Californian Elitist

In 6 days I will finally be taking my first Disneyland trip. I'm really eager to experience the original Disneyland in all its glory and see the incredible Cars Land at DCA after so many years of hard work. I really hope the momentum of this epic expansion continues so that the message is clear to all the other Disney parks that investing in these expansions will truly be worth it for the company and most importantly the guests who are guaranteed to keep coming back as long as the magic is alive and well. With talks of a possible third gate being kicked around due to DCA's recent success, do you think most guests would prefer that or taking the capital to just expand Disneyland itself even more?

First of all, an early welcome to California and Disneyland! Disneyland is my home away from home and it's been my playground since babyhood.

I can't speak for other Disneylanders, but I would much rather the company invest more in the two parks we already have. IMO, we don't need a third park. The Disneyland Resort is doing fine with just two. I bet we will see a third park though, maybe within the next ten to fifteen years. Then again, that's a lot of time to add some things to both DL and DCA. I'm really anxious to know if anything's planned for the 60th.

El Grupo

I agree that Marvel is not enough to support a whole park, but with that being said, which direction do they go for a theme? Is the strawberry field area large enough to support something on the scale of DisneySea?
I also don't see Marvel products carrying a park. However, I could picture a dedicated land in a larger Villains and Heroes park.

If Disney can acquire the land surrounding the strawberry field area (mainly apartment complexes), plus construct parking decks in the existing Pinocchio, Simba and/or Pumbaa lots, it appears they could build a 3rd gate equal in size to either DL or CA.

The question is whether another park is really needed.

Mike K

First of all, an early welcome to California and Disneyland! Disneyland is my home away from home and it's been my playground since babyhood.

I can't speak for other Disneylanders, but I would much rather the company invest more in the two parks we already have. IMO, we don't need a third park. The Disneyland Resort is doing fine with just two. I bet we will see a third park though, maybe within the next ten to fifteen years. Then again, that's a lot of time to add some things to both DL and DCA. I'm really anxious to know if anything's planned for the 60th.

Thanks a lot! I haven't even arrived yet and I already know this won't be my last trip there, it all looks incredible there. I'm very open minded to seeing more gates open up and any of the parks but after I see DL and DCA in person and take it in for 10 days, I'm sure I'll have a much clearer idea if a third gate is something the resort actually needs sooner rather than later. Based on pictures and videos, they certainly seem to be in a great place right now. Although, if DCA continues to pack the crowds in and profits remain high, I'm those third gate ideas will definitely start to take a little more shape.

Mike K

I also don't see Marvel products carrying a park. However, I could picture a dedicated land in a larger Villains and Heroes park.

If Disney can acquire the land surrounding the strawberry field area (mainly apartment complexes), plus construct parking decks in the existing Pinocchio, Simba and/or Pumbaa lots, it appears they could build a 3rd gate equal in size to either DL or CA.

The question is whether another park is really needed.

I'm open to seeing what Disney can do with the Marvel characters attraction wise. I've already stated it before, but I also don't think they warrant a whole park let alone a land dedicated to them. A few attractions scattered I think would suit well. While, the Marvel properties are hands off in Orlando, the way I envision seeing those characters in a park setting would be placing them on Sunset Blvd in Hollywood Studios right with Tower of Terror and Rock 'n' Roller Coaster. Something in the vein of that I think would work incredibly well. Even, if they expanded DCA right near Tower of Terror to make room for an Avengers attraction would look great I think.

Californian Elitist

Thanks a lot! I haven't even arrived yet and I already know this won't be my last trip there, it all looks incredible there. I'm very open minded to seeing more gates open up and any of the parks but after I see DL and DCA in person and take it in for 10 days, I'm sure I'll have a much clearer idea if a third gate is something the resort actually needs sooner rather than later. Based on pictures and videos, they certainly seem to be in a great place right now. Although, if DCA continues to pack the crowds in and profits remain high, I'm those third gate ideas will definitely start to take a little more shape.

Oh, you are gonna have a ball. Especially if you're going to be there for ten whole days. That's a lot. Let me know if you plan on visiting other places within those ten days, I have a list. Quick California tip, there's an In-N-Out Burger that's fairly close to the resort. Give it a try!

That's what I'm thinking. If DCA continues to hold its own, then I can definitely see the third park on its way. According to some people here, there are ideas going on for the third gate as we speak.

Mike K

Oh, you are gonna have a ball. Especially if you're going to be there for ten whole days. That's a lot. Let me know if you plan on visiting other places within those ten days, I have a list. Quick California tip, there's an In-N-Out Burger that's fairly close to the resort. Give it a try!

That's what I'm thinking. If DCA continues to hold its own, then I can definitely see the third park on its way. According to some people here, there are ideas going on for the third gate as we speak.

In-N-Out Burger... Yum! I've always wanted to try that place. Thanks for the tip! In regards to the third gate talk, regardless of how differently we all feel about new parks being possibly opened when many feel there is plenty of work to be done in existing parks, it's still incredibly exciting to think of the possibility of it happening. I'm not too concerned about the idea this early in the game especially with so much to take in at DL and DCA right now, but the second actual plans are revealed, count me in!

Californian Elitist

In-N-Out Burger... Yum! I've always wanted to try that place. Thanks for the tip! In regards to the third gate talk, regardless of how differently we all feel about new parks being possibly opened when many feel there is plenty of work to be done in existing parks, it's still incredibly exciting to think of the possibility of it happening. I'm not too concerned about the idea this early in the game especially with so much to take in at DL and DCA right now, but the second actual plans are revealed, count me in!

Welcome! That is very true, the thought of an entirely new gate is really intriguing and exciting! Hopefully it's original. That's why I'm glad we never got WestCOT. I like originality. I myselff can't think of any ideas for a third gate, but that's what the Imagineers are for. I don't want Marvel to be the theme though. I'm sure they can think of something else.

TP2000

No, the lines for HoP, Mickey Mouse Review, CBJ, and Mansion (the first three of those being totally new shows for WDW) proved nothing. Nor did the massive crowds flooding into WDW in Nov 1971.

20LutS also had large lines, though that's a capacity thing... Much like how people love to say things like Horizons or WoM never had a line. That's exactly right, by nature of the attraction.

Minor point of correction from a crazy history buff...

Disneyland's Haunted Mansion opened two years before WDW's Haunted Mansion.
Disneyland Haunted Mansion - August 9th, 1969
WDW Haunted Mansion - October 1st, 1971

But the point is well taken regarding the number of E Tickets at Magic Kingdom Park on opening day in '71. They had plenty, especially for the more gentle expectations of the circa 1970 audience when thrill rides and height requirements were not yet an expected part of the Disney experience.

The Country Bear Jamboree was an immediate hit at WDW, and when it opened in Disneyland in '72 the attraction had two separate theaters and double the capacity of the WDW version. Ironically, it was never quite the huge hit in SoCal as it was in Florida due to the Southern and Midwest tourist demographic that it resonated better with in WDW. It should have had the two-theater version built for WDW, and Disneyland would have been fine with the single-theater version. Oh well.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
That doesn't really make a lot of sense. If they were able to fix the yeti without closing the ride, they would have done it by now. Obviously, they can't fix it with the ride still in operation, which is what I said before. If people are frustrated that an arm doesn't swing down at them and that mist doesn't come at them during the ride, then people should stop riding the attraction. Then maybe the Standby-line won't be an hour.
It'd cost a sum of money for no perceivable return.

jt04

Original Poster
So... You're a "self taught expert" then.

Explains a lot.

It certainly explains why I have my own opinions and why I am not tied to any certain "school of thought" or part of any clique with an agenda which this forum has plenty of. I am a completely independent of such snares.

jt04

Original Poster
Disneyland help build Disney World.... It could happen again!

Yep Yep. Although I think we have now reached the point where WDW will not have to subsidize the DLR and WDW can buy its own new stuff. Metaphorically speaking.

jt04

Original Poster
How is this? 20LutS was an addition for the MK very early on and was an extension of the original version in Disneyland. Goff imported his aesthetic for the subs from the film, something DL dien't have, and made the ride much more based in the fantasy of the film.

Given the fact that, back then, that edge of FL was right next to Tomorrowland, it did fit. Not exactly smoothly, but it was planned to exist in that regard for some time.

Also, the claims of there not being enough to do are a very large stretch... the resort was overflowing at that time with recreation and venues outside of the park, too. It was a very different place. The park usually closed at 6. Guests went back to their resorts for nights of dancing, drinks, and fireworks over the lagoon.

This, usually after a packed day at a new theme park already Disneyland's equal in 1975.

The history of the park's and resort's operations are quite different from what you are insinuating.

Um, I said I heard guest complaints about not enough attractions. There was doom and gloom from the start. That is just the fact. And of course I knew even at that time there was more content to come. Phase 2 was green lit fairly quickly. Possibly because of guest complaints. Possibly even before phase 2 was really ready for prime time. Martin would know that.

OrangeTree

Um, I said I heard guest complaints about not enough attractions. There was doom and gloom from the start. That is just the fact. And of course I knew even at that time there was more content to come. Phase 2 was green lit fairly quickly. Possibly because of guest complaints. Possibly even before phase 2 was really ready for prime time. Martin would know that.
What are you referring to? The fact that Walt Disney World was born with a 5 year plan in mind to have it operating at the same level of Disneyland by 1976? Meanwhile, after Tomorrowland's expansion and PoC, it made those numbers in 4 years instead of 5?

The only doom and gloom (oh, that term... ) that surrounded Disney in its early years would be the boom and bust of hotels and real estate in the area. But by 1975, that was all over.

Buried20KLeague

It certainly explains why I have my own opinions and why I am not tied to any certain "school of thought" or part of any clique with an agenda which this forum has plenty of. I am a completely independent of such snares.

As am I. I believe myself to be objective on nearly every topic. You'll find positive posts from me on many topics.

That being said... Sharing similar views with a seemingly growing group of people doesn't make those views wrong... And it doesn't make that person a "follower".

Just like going against the grain to the point of being irrational doesn't make one right.

jt04

Original Poster
What are you referring to? The fact that Walt Disney World was born with a 5 year plan in mind to have it operating at the same level of Disneyland by 1976? Meanwhile, after Tomorrowland's expansion and PoC, it made those numbers in 4 years instead of 5?

The only doom and gloom (oh, that term... ) that surrounded Disney in its early years would be the boom and bust of hotels and real estate in the area. But by 1975, that was all over.

Thanks to SM and PotC etc. Again I was very pleased with the place I just remember complaints that there was not enough attractions in 1971. And they sounded quite similar to what we here from people today about DAK and DHS. Almost exactly the same. I advise patience so they do not rush through improperly financed and half-baked concepts.

jt04

Original Poster
As am I. I believe myself to be objective on nearly every topic. You'll find positive posts from me on many topics.

That being said... Sharing similar views with a seemingly growing group of people doesn't make those views wrong... And it doesn't make that person a "follower".

Just like going against the grain to the point of being irrational doesn't make one right.

Being right makes me right. Group think is for those who don't think. Have fun living there.

TP2000

Thanks to SM and PotC etc. Again I was very pleased with the place I just remember complaints that there was not enough attractions in 1971. And they sounded quite similar to what we here from people today about DAK and DHS. Almost exactly the same. I advise patience so they do not rush through improperly financed and half-baked concepts.

But DHS is almost 25 years old now. DAK is closing in on 15 years old.

I think folks have been patient enough with those two half-day parks, don't you?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom