DCA Setting Records and WDW

Cosmic Commando

As an aside, anyone who waits six hours for a theme park attraction needs psychiatric evaluation IMHO. Hell, anyone who waits three hours needs it!!!

In 1990, I would agree with you. Nowadays, people live with the Internet always in their pocket and they feel like their "life has no meaning" when Twitter goes down, so it doesn't surprise me that people will wait six hours to get that "rode RSR before you" merit badge. If you spend your whole day with your head down in your phone, what does it really matter where you're standing?

jt04

Original Poster
So ... now it is reasonable to expect new cutting edge experiences?

Thanks, JT, I've only been saying that about the MK for a few decades now.

But I know ... they've had to 'fix' other things (that have nothing to do with WDW) first. Glad you finally see the light, Frank!

Did Soarin', Mission:Space, ToT, EE, CtE also have nothing to do with WDW? Then there are others such as the mirror effect at the end of HM, the popular interactive games and other enhancements.

I will be the first to admit Eisner pretty much did to WDI R&D what he did to the Animation division. Sad but WDI still has moments and more could, should and likely will be happening. Takes time to rebuild but I think Iger will make that happen too.

WDW1974

In

Interesting and it makes absolute sense. Where were Iger and Staggs discussing this? Would you happen to have a link?

No. But it's out there. You'll find it ...

The Avengers was a massive success and an incredibly fun flick. Marvel is under Disney's umbrella now and to just sit on there potential in the California parks wouldn't make sense. If the Avengers or other Marvel characters were going to get park treatment, I was hoping it would be in Anaheim. I think there spirit would suit a third gate incredibly well and I'm sure will give guests some quality experiences.

I really enjoyed the Avengers a lot, but I still feel the Marvel stable of characters doesn't fit the Disney UNIverse at all. But they are definitely looking to use them in Anaheim (in short order). No, they won't be using them in O-town (don't know why but I feel any Marvel post needs this repeated ad nauseum) ... I don't feel they are worthy of the third gate at all because when that land is used, it's gone. And Disney isn't going to have other options.

njDizFan

Did Soarin', Mission:Space, ToT, EE, CtE also have nothing to do with WDW? Then there are others such as the mirror effect at the end of HM, the popular interactive games and other enhancements.

I will be the first to admit Eisner pretty much did to WDI R&D what he did to the Animation division. Sad but WDI still has moments and more could, should and likely will be happening. Takes time to rebuild but I think Iger will make that happen too.

Don't think he will have time for that while campaigning

jt04

Original Poster
I wouldn't count on anything happening at any park beyond the possibility of Avatar at DAK ... I absolutely don't see them putting any more capital into the MK, regardless of what your friend said. They just don't want to spend in FLA beyond the bare minimum.

You didn't see the FLE coming either mere weeks before it was announced so.......

WDW1974

In 1990, I would agree with you. Nowadays, people live with the Internet always in their pocket and they feel like their "life has no meaning" when Twitter goes down, so it doesn't surprise me that people will wait six hours to get that "rode RSR before you" merit badge. If you spend your whole day with your head down in your phone, what does it really matter where you're standing?

I suppose that is true to a large extent. I just am not one of them. I have to spend too much time sitting behind a screen for business. I want to go to places like theme parks to shut that off.

The addiction, and that is what it is, some people have to their iPhones is scary (and dangerous!)

lazyboy97o

A lot of that breaking and destroying was done on the advice of people who still surround Igee, including your new supposed savior, Mr. Staggs.

WDW1974

Here we go with the typical JT circle (what word do I put here?) argument.

ToT was great. It was developed in the early 90s and opened 18 years ago. Sorry, that doesn't count. Soarin, while fun, isn't a bar raising experience either. It was developed in the 1990s for DCA. Let's see what else? MS ... it's not that technically advanced ... it's two large rooms with centrifuges (one turned off because it tends to make people ill) ... and EE? What a ginormous disaster that has been. What's your point here?

What you don't seem to get is Iger (who will be gone from the company far sooner than you think) is no different in his business sense from Eisner's last few years. WDI isn't being rebuilt at all. There's still talent there, no doubt. If you think Carsland looks good, you should go visit it instead of opining on Disney discussion forums and then you should send a thank you card to Bob Weis and Tom Morris since they were the ones most responsible.

WDW1974

You didn't see the FLE coming either mere weeks before it was announced so.......

No, I didn't.

I am not an all-knowing Spirit. Just a mostly-knowing one. I can live with that.

And what you don't grasp was your pals at TDO (rah-rah, whoo-hoo!!!) had to have the project forced on them, literally ... which is why so many people didn't know it was going to happen.

jt04

Original Poster
Here we go with the typical JT circle (what word do I put here?) argument.

ToT was great. It was developed in the early 90s and opened 18 years ago. Sorry, that doesn't count. Soarin, while fun, isn't a bar raising experience either. It was developed in the 1990s for DCA. Let's see what else? MS ... it's not that technically advanced ... it's two large rooms with centrifuges (one turned off because it tends to make people ill) ... and EE? What a ginormous disaster that has been. What's your point here?

What you don't seem to get is Iger (who will be gone from the company far sooner than you think) is no different in his business sense from Eisner's last few years. WDI isn't being rebuilt at all. There's still talent there, no doubt. If you think Carsland looks good, you should go visit it instead of opining on Disney discussion forums and then you should send a thank you card to Bob Weis and Tom Morris since they were the ones most responsible.

Thanks for your subjective opinion about MS, Soarin' etc but that is all it is. 1 Billion to develop NextGen and the interactive theme park games involve new never seen before in the history of the world technology. Sorry to bring facts to prove you wrong but that is my forte'.

And I understand you couldn't help but post in this thread because it disproves yourr well crafted propaganda and presents a real danger to your spin. But I will not argue with you because you are to narrow-minded to waste time on. And I know why you are trying to start up a flame war. Likely so do the mods. Adios.

OrangeTree

WDW sinks or swims based on decisions made for it. What transpires in Anaheim has little to do with how successful Carsland is ... besides, WDW DID open its own version this week too!
Not to mention that WDW makes all the money for the company and that's about it. Get that time share machine crankin'!

WDW1974

Thanks for your subjective opinion about MS, Soarin' etc but that is all it is.

Not really. We've had people who work in the business at the high levels like lightbulb come in here and 'splain why attractions like that are not pushing any envelope and are pretty simple.

1 Billion to develop NextGen and the interactive theme park games involve new never seen before in the history of the world technology. Sorry to bring facts to prove you wrong but that is my forte'.

Yes, one billion for interactive games sounds like money well spent. I'm sure most folks would agree with that.
And 'never seen in the history of the world technology'? Sure ... you push that Pixie Dust around. That doesn't sound like what it is!

And I understand you couldn't help but post in this thread because it disproves yourr well crafted propaganda and presents a real danger to your spin. But I will not argue with you because you are to narrow-minded to waste time on. And I know why you are trying to start up a flame war. Likely so do the mods. Adios.

Right. Just like you didn't start this thread with a spinning agenda and as soon as folks want to talk facts and reality you want to go hide. Hey, I'm all for you staying under rocks.

I'm leaving now ... I seriously doubt that you won't have posted by the time I'm back.

Cosmic Commando

Thanks for your subjective opinion about MS, Soarin' etc but that is all it is. 1 Billion to develop NextGen and the interactive theme park games involve new never seen before in the history of the world technology. Sorry to bring facts to prove you wrong but that is my forte'.

Giving it a fancy name like "NextGen" doesn't make it futuristic. It's like when an evil corporation makes a lobbying group to help them destroy Mother Nature and they call it "Friends of the Environment" or "Up With Trees".

Mike K

No. But it's out there. You'll find it ...

I really enjoyed the Avengers a lot, but I still feel the Marvel stable of characters doesn't fit the Disney UNIverse at all. But they are definitely looking to use them in Anaheim (in short order). No, they won't be using them in O-town (don't know why but I feel any Marvel post needs this repeated ad nauseum) ... I don't feel they are worthy of the third gate at all because when that land is used, it's gone. And Disney isn't going to have other options.

At first, while I do like the Marvel Heroes, I couldn't get my head around them appearing in a Disney park, it just seemed so out of element. But, I've certainly come around and actually find the idea of them pretty engaging in a park setting. Although, I'm not insisting Disney open a whole themed park let alone a land based on them. At best, I think 2 or 3 attractions max based on the characters would be plenty. Yes, there technically Disney property now but at the end of the day they are just that, an acquisition that wasn't created by the minds at Disney and are a property that could be sold as easily as they were purchased. Regardless, of how lucrative the Marvel deal was/is for Disney, I feel like the Disney parks should hold there own personal properties as well as completely unique Imagineer-inspired creations at the forefront of there parks in order to not back themselves into a corner. I think specifically an Avengers themed ride, if done right, could certainly be on par with popular attractions such as Space Mountain or Tower of Terror. Don't worry, 74, I'm fully aware of all the reasons behind the Marvel properties not appearing in Orlando. I can only imagine how many people must be mistaken in thinking they will come to the Orlando area but alas not happening. Thanks again for your info!

Jim Handy

Do you really want to know what the DCA records mean?

More investment in California.

New attractions in DL, maybe and addition or two in DCA (MUCH further down the road) and the third park are all viable ideas at this point both for growth of the resort and to battle it out with Universal. I had hoped once DCA's big makeover was complete, focus would shift to WDW, with an eye on DL. (Because the problem is Eisner and Iger have both chosen to pour everything in to one resort and focus on the other, but that's a story for another day.) But instead, Disney has become more eager for growth in DL and Burbank is willing to let WDW glide.

Our only hope now is Meg and Bob both leave pretty quickly and all the pieces fall in to place.

Tiggerrules

What new never seen before technology in the games have they delivered? I have worked in the tech world for years and a lot of the technology in either game they have released has been around for quite some time. They have taken several different technologies and combined them. I really have not seen anything groundbreaking in them. The one in Kim Possible was really pretty cool but it was not groundbreaking technology. SOTMK is a not all that great to me ( and yes I have played it several times), it is basically a video game that you have to walk around to get to the screen and uses prox readers and camera readers (all of which have been around for awhile). Please point out the groundbreaking technology that was used and I do not mean that as a bad as it sounds, I just do not see it as groundbreaking technology (maybe I missed something).

RSoxNo1

EE? Are you talking about Expedition Everest? The same attraction that has single handedly brought AK's attendance up by 2.1 million guests since 2005? Okay, so the yeti doesn't work the way it was originally intended to. But it's not some overnight fix like back in the good old days, where cast members could work till 3am one night have have it ready the next morning. The imagineers have tried everything they can but the yeti is too complicated. The most popular ride in AK would have to be closed for an extended period of time to fix the yeti. I think that proves how technologically advanced the yeti and the attraction is all-together.
EE increased attendance at DAK by 1 million, regular growth has brought it up an additional 500k since 2005

2005: 8,200,000
2011: 9,783,000

jt04

Original Poster
EE increased attendance at DAK by 1 million, regular growth has brought it up an additional 500k since 2005

2005: 8,200,000
2011: 9,783,000

I think they could have easily realized another 10 or 15 per cent increase by fully funding Kali and Everest.

I look at theme park attractions like motion pictures. Many are made that are successful but then fade from memory. Others succeed and become staples of pop culture and continue to provide a return for years or even decades. RSR will do this. As do standards such as the HM and the JC. How many times over have these attractions paid for themselves with no sign of a fall off. Adds like Carsland/RSR and BVS will be ringing the cash registers long after all of us. That should be the goal with every major attraction.

RSoxNo1

I think they could have easily realized another 10 or 15 per cent increase by fully funding Kali and Everest.

I look at theme park attractions like motion pictures. Many are made that are successful but then fade from memory. Others succeed and become staples of pop culture and continue to provide a return for years or even decades. RSR will do this. As do standards such as the HM and the JC. How many times over have these attractions paid for themselves with no sign of a fall off. Adds like Carsland/RSR and BVS will be ringing the cash registers long after all of us. That should be the goal with every major attraction.
I've had the fanboy wish of extending Kali River Rapids, but I don't think that would really move the needle on attendance. Even if they made the ride better than Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges I don't see it resulting in a major attendance boost unfortunately.

I can see replacing Primeval Whirl with a C/D ticket dark ride moving the needle a bit more. I'd love to see both happen, but I'd be shocked to see any new rides before Avatar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom