DCA Setting Records and WDW

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
EE? Are you talking about Expedition Everest? The same attraction that has single handedly brought AK's attendance up by 2.1 million guests since 2005? Okay, so the yeti doesn't work the way it was originally intended to. But it's not some overnight fix like back in the good old days, where cast members could work till 3am one night have have it ready the next morning. The imagineers have tried everything they can but the yeti is too complicated. The most popular ride in AK would have to be closed for an extended period of time to fix the yeti. I think that proves how technologically advanced the yeti and the attraction is all-together.
Please.... There are at least 3 proposals to fix the thing. The suits just don't see why they should so long as Standby still hits an hour. WDI have tried plenty and have plenty of answers. Without having to close the ride. But they won't be paid for taking it further.

Even funnier.... Of the few sparse effects on the ride, the top track mist was deactivated. The miser/MEE system was corroding the metalwork... So instead of working to a viable alternative they just ripped out the smoke system. Revenge of the Mummy has 13 different types of smoke effect. The supposed flagship of DAK couldn't even get one to work?

TP2000

I don't think RSR was ever supposed to be a thrill thing, but more of a visual thing, hence the backdrop and the AAs. I don't think an expensive ride means it has to go fast.

Agreed.

I just rode Radiator Springs Racers for a third time late tonight. (Only a 60 minute wait at 10PM!) It's thrilling and fun in the way Big Thunder Mountain is thrilling and fun. Radiator Springs Racers is NOT a white knuckle scare monster like the latest Hyper-Mega-Coaster at your local Six Flags or Cedar Fair park. But Radiator Springs Racers is simultaneously breathtaking and "family thrills" thrilling, in the grand tradition of Disney E Tickets with 40 inch height requirements (Space Mt., Splash Mt., Thunder Mt., Matterhorn Bobsleds, etc.)

Radiator Springs Racers slots in to that same category as Space Mt. or Thunder Mt., but has a few minutes of "dark ride" portion that sets the bar even higher with giant full-size automotive animatronics a la' Cars characters, and some nifty special effects, that traditional Disney thrill rides like Space Mt. or Thunder Mt. just don't have. Radiator Springs Racers is more like Indiana Jones Adventure; a fully immersive themed experience with modest family thrills.

But Radiator Springs Racers exceeds Anaheim's and Tokyo's Indiana Jones Adventure rides when it comes to showmanship and animatronics and the sheer grandeur of the Ornament Valley and Cadillac Range backrop. Especially on a perfectly mild and star filled early summer Anaheim evening like I experienced tonight!

7371120428_99128fe6dd_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7220/7371120428_99128fe6dd_z.jpg

And bonus points for the adorable college kids running Mater's Junkyard Jamboree tonight. The park had officially closed at 11PM, but as we walked by at 11:10PM they were still inviting people in for "one last square dance of the night!" and everyone gladly rushed in to a very short line for a last spin with Mater. The Cars Land CM's appear to be the very best of the Disneyland Resort when it comes to gracious customer service. Bravo!

Longhairbear

Agreed.

I just rode Radiator Springs Racers for a third time late tonight. (Only a 60 minute wait at 10PM!) It's thrilling and fun in the way Big Thunder Mountain is thrilling and fun. Radiator Springs Racers is NOT a white knuckle scare monster like the latest Hyper-Mega-Coaster at your local Six Flags or Cedar Fair park. But Radiator Springs Racers is simultaneously breathtaking and "family thrills" thrilling, in the grand tradition of Disney E Tickets with 40 inch height requirements (Space Mt., Splash Mt., Thunder Mt., Matterhorn Bobsleds, etc.)

Radiator Springs Racers slots in to that same category as Space Mt. or Thunder Mt., but has a few minutes of "dark ride" portion that sets the bar even higher with giant full-size automotive animatronics a la' Cars characters, and some nifty special effects, that traditional Disney thrill rides like Space Mt. or Thunder Mt. just don't have. Radiator Springs Racers is more like Indiana Jones Adventure; a fully immersive themed experience with modest family thrills.

But Radiator Springs Racers exceeds Anaheim's and Tokyo's Indiana Jones Adventure rides when it comes to showmanship and animatronics and the sheer grandeur of the Ornament Valley and Cadillac Range backrop. Especially on a perfectly mild and star filled early summer Anaheim evening like I experienced tonight!

7371120428_99128fe6dd_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7220/7371120428_99128fe6dd_z.jpg

And bonus points for the adorable college kids running Mater's Junkyard Jamboree tonight. The park had officially closed at 11PM, but as we walked by at 11:10PM they were still inviting people in for "one last square dance of the night!" and everyone gladly rushed in to a very short line for a last spin with Mater. The Cars Land CM's appear to be the very best of the Disneyland Resort when it comes to gracious customer service. Bravo!
I am so glad to read this post.
We are staying on property in a few weeks, and can't wait to do a late night last ride. We'll top it off with a few exotic cocktails at Trader Sam's at the Disneyland Hotel pool, ordering drinks that set off the bar's animatronics, and visuals. ( I have to see which drink sinks the ship in a bottle from the old Adventurer's Club in WDW." )

jt04

Original Poster
I've had the fanboy wish of extending Kali River Rapids, but I don't think that would really move the needle on attendance. Even if they made the ride better than Popeye and Bluto's Bilge Rat Barges I don't see it resulting in a major attendance boost unfortunately.

I can see replacing Primeval Whirl with a C/D ticket dark ride moving the needle a bit more. I'd love to see both happen, but I'd be shocked to see any new rides before Avatar.

You are likely right. But I have the theory that a Disney theme park has to contain a certain level of magic that then makes it click with guests.

The MK barely met this standard when it opened. In fact I believe if not for 20K it may have failed due to bad press due to guest complaints. An awsome for its day panic add (without regard to theme) is my theory. Glad Eisner saw to it that got fixed for the long term viability of the park.

DAK did not reach this standard and to the uninformed probably still doesn't. Obviously DCA didn't when it opened but I believe it now is "sustainable'.

Other parks that failed to meet the 'sustainable' level were HKDL and DHS.

What is sad is that there have been so many people at TWDC that can't see this and we still have parks like DAK and DHS that could easily be brought up to the Disney standard and made self-sustaining.

Just to define terms, by "sustainable" I mean the park does not require heavy doses of marketing tricks like "amazin' new parades" or carnival rides with silly puns pasted on. Or the worst of all, brilliant WDI concepts that end up half-baked due to accounting morons who can't see past their green eyeshades.

breakin2

Jt - not to be a jerk, but what makes you an "expert" on this matters? You speak as if you're an authority on these subjects.

Pentacat

No, I didn't.

I am not an all-knowing Spirit. Just a mostly-knowing one. I can live with that.

And what you don't grasp was your pals at TDO (rah-rah, whoo-hoo!!!) had to have the project forced on them, literally ... which is why so many people didn't know it was going to happen.

Did I miss some backstory on this one? Why wouldn't TDO want/beg for new content at this point? Was it specifically FLE they didn't want or is there a general opinion in Orlando that things are just great as they are? I know they don't like taking care of the toys they already have....

Lee

Adventurer
They didn't think MK needed it, and didn't want to endanger their bottom line (and bonuses) by taking on a large project like that.
Burbank overruled, saying that the park had to have the increased capacity.

jt04

Original Poster
Jt - not to be a jerk, but what makes you an "expert" on this matters? You speak as if you're an authority on these subjects.

Years upon years of analyzing the subject. Long before there was a WDWMagic I was fascinated by what makes a Disney park resonate with so many. And why certain elements work and others do not. And not just as it pertains to attractions but every aspect of the science and art of the business. I just find it fascinating and easy to obsess on.

WDWMagic just happened to come along so that I was able to express my thoughts with other fans. Obviously most of us are evolving and learning and this is far from my only interest but I find the subject fascinating none the less.

OrangeTree

The MK barely met this standard when it opened. In fact I believe if not for 20K it may have failed due to bad press due to guest complaints. An awsome for its day panic add (without regard to theme) is my theory. Glad Eisner saw to it that got fixed for the long term viability of the park.
No, the lines for HoP, Mickey Mouse Review, CBJ, and Mansion (the first three of those being totally new shows for WDW) proved nothing. Nor did the massive crowds flooding into WDW in Nov 1971.

20LutS also had large lines, though that's a capacity thing... Much like how people love to say things like Horizons or WoM never had a line. That's exactly right, by nature of the attraction.

jt04

Original Poster
No, the lines for HoP, Mickey Mouse Review, CBJ, and Mansion (the first three of those being totally new shows for WDW) proved nothing. Nor did the massive crowds flooding into WDW in Nov 1971.

20LutS also had large lines, though that's a capacity thing... Much like how people love to say things like Horizons or WoM never had a line. That's exactly right, by nature of the attraction.

I just know there were those who doubted the viability of the project early on. I would have disagreed with the doubters even then! LOL.

My point was there were people who were very nervous. I am not saying there was not great content but I could easily see where 20K got approved to do all they could to ensure success despite the glaring contradictions of theme.

And I remember first hand the complaints about there not being enough to do even with 20K. I have been battling the 'doomers' since day 1. And that is a fact. :)

DznyRktekt

Please.... There are at least 3 proposals to fix the thing. The suits just don't see why they should so long as Standby still hits an hour. WDI have tried plenty and have plenty of answers. Without having to close the ride. But they won't be paid for taking it further.

Even funnier.... Of the few sparse effects on the ride, the top track mist was deactivated. The miser/MEE system was corroding the metalwork... So instead of working to a viable alternative they just ripped out the smoke system. Revenge of the Mummy has 13 different types of smoke effect. The supposed flagship of DAK couldn't even get one to work?

Perhaps the bean counters have the final say, but does anyone know what Joe Rhodde thinks of the changes in Animal Kingdom such as the deactivated effects mentioned above? It was/ is his baby, and he is seen regularly visiting the park. Does he or John Lasseter have pull to get these things fixed? I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to create something as rich and immersive as DAK and see the layers of story peeling away in the Florida sun.

Buried20KLeague

Years upon years of analyzing the subject. Long before there was a WDWMagic I was fascinated by what makes a Disney park resonate with so many. And why certain elements work and others do not. And not just as it pertains to attractions but every aspect of the science and art of the business. I just find it fascinating and easy to obsess on.

WDWMagic just happened to come along so that I was able to express my thoughts with other fans. Obviously most of us are evolving and learning and this is far from my only interest but I find the subject fascinating none the less.

So... You're a "self taught expert" then.

Explains a lot.

DznyRktekt

jt04, I really like your Avitar. I know it's the LAX Theme Building, but everytime I see it when reading one of your posts, my subliminal thought is that it is a closeup of some concept car's headlight.

montyz81

So per Al Lutz DCA is setting all sorts of records while still providing guests with a great experience. In fact he also says that DCA is now outpacing DL in numbers.

Now I guess this is not suprising considering the look of the new BVS and Cars Land (with the amazing RSR). But I think there are implications far beyond Anaheim. If DCA continues to produce such amazing numbers with high guest satisfaction surveys then it will be much easier to make the case that such projects are justified. The genie has left the bottle thanks to Lasseter, Staggs etc.

Personally I think DCA will see number increases to the bottom-line similar to what Universal saw with the opening of TWWoHP. If so, we may be seeing a new Disney Decade for WDI and theme park attractions even at WDW.

The floor is open.....
Disneyland help build Disney World.... It could happen again!

I am only afraid if the project gets to a higher stage before Iger, Staggs and Rasulo exit the company.

There's plenty of time for them to go in another direction from where Iger is intent on heading.

I agree that Marvel is not enough to support a whole park, but with that being said, which direction do they go for a theme? Is the strawberry field area large enough to support something on the scale of DisneySea?

OrangeTree

I just know there were those who doubted the viability of the project early on. I would have disagreed with the doubters even then! LOL.

My point was there were people who were very nervous. I am not saying there was not great content but I could easily see where 20K got approved to do all they could to ensure success despite the glaring contradictions of theme.

And I remember first hand the complaints about there not being enough to do even with 20K. I have been battling the 'doomers' since day 1. And that is a fact. :)
How is this? 20LutS was an addition for the MK very early on and was an extension of the original version in Disneyland. Goff imported his aesthetic for the subs from the film, something DL dien't have, and made the ride much more based in the fantasy of the film.

Given the fact that, back then, that edge of FL was right next to Tomorrowland, it did fit. Not exactly smoothly, but it was planned to exist in that regard for some time.

Also, the claims of there not being enough to do are a very large stretch... the resort was overflowing at that time with recreation and venues outside of the park, too. It was a very different place. The park usually closed at 6. Guests went back to their resorts for nights of dancing, drinks, and fireworks over the lagoon.

This, usually after a packed day at a new theme park already Disneyland's equal in 1975.

The history of the park's and resort's operations are quite different from what you are insinuating.

Mike K

In 6 days I will finally be taking my first Disneyland trip. I'm really eager to experience the original Disneyland in all its glory and see the incredible Cars Land at DCA after so many years of hard work. I really hope the momentum of this epic expansion continues so that the message is clear to all the other Disney parks that investing in these expansions will truly be worth it for the company and most importantly the guests who are guaranteed to keep coming back as long as the magic is alive and well. With talks of a possible third gate being kicked around due to DCA's recent success, do you think most guests would prefer that or taking the capital to just expand Disneyland itself even more?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom