DCA Setting Records and WDW

TP2000

However, this euphoria will eventually settle and although the additions have now turned DCA into a formidable theme park, there isn't any more room to expand the park in the future.

Actually, there are six major expansion "pads" inside the existing DCA boundary for new attractions. Most of these expansion areas would not require closing any current park facilities.

Paradise Pier has three areas for new attractions that have been mentioned by WDI;
  1. Goofy's Sky School/Corn Dog Castle/Souvenir 66 land
  2. Back of House land accessed through former home of Maliboomer attraction
  3. Back of House land accessed through vacant eastern helix of Screamin'
Hollywood Land has two areas for new attractions;
  1. Currently vacant Hollywood & Dine food court and Back of House land behind it
  2. Currently vacant Stage 17 soundstage and Back of House land parallel to it
The sixth area is the vacant land around the Grizzly River Run attraction. Rumors persist this would also need to close the Challenge Trail play area to create enough land for a major attraction expansion, but the land is there to use and repurpose.

Those expansion areas are in addition to the 10 vacant acres that still exist on the southeast corner of the DCA footprint. (Cars Land was supposed to be bigger, with a Drive-In Theater restaurant, but that was cancelled in favor of dining in the Carthay Circle Theater) Assuming Disney couldn't or wouldn't buy out the adjacent motels and small businesses that still remain on the DCA perimeter, they silll have about 10 acres to use that currently sit vacant southeast of Cars Land.

jt04

Original Poster
I'm not sure that DCA has wheels. DL will always be the #1 park out west, yet the additions that have been made to DCA over the past five years give people a reason to spend a day or two there as well. I don't think that the project will justify similar projects elsewhere though. I think the reason why the attendence has soared in DCA is simply because of the publicity this project has gotten, and the pricetag it was budgeted at. However, this euphoria will eventually settle and although the additions have now turned DCA into a formidable theme park, there isn't any more room to expand the park in the future. And I was surprised they chose Cars to be an entire land, because those movies have been the worst reviewed Disney/Pixar movies to date. Either way, this park is going to be the same for a while, unlike Disney World which can always expand and doesn't need a 1.7 billion dollar budget to do so. Personally, I have not been on the ride yet, but I don't see the thrill factor I was expecting from RSR. Yes, the detail and area looks fantastic, but the ride as a whole doesn't seem to be worth the $200+ million budget it was granted. Test Track was built on a $100 million budget, and I think it has more thrills and excitement than I see with RSR. Sometimes people get too caught up on the cost of projects, and when WDW cuts expansion budgets, they feel like the people in charge have no vision. Maybe they just don't need that much money to keep people coming back to the parks. Although I enjoy new attractions, I was more thrilled with the refurbs they did at the MK to classic attractions like the Haunted Mansion and PoTC. Those projects needed modest budgets yet the enhancements, for me at least, would provide the same enjoyment that I would get from an expensive addition such as Carsland

People have the reasonable expectation that new cutting edge experiences will be added to their Disney theme park experiences as time passes. I would guess if you do not you are the exception to the rule.

spacemt354

Chili's
Actually, there are six major expansion "pads" inside the existing DCA boundary for new attractions. Most of these expansion areas would not require closing any current park facilities.
I didn't know that, thanks for your input. Although I stand by what I said before. The fact that indeed DCA has now become a formidable park, it's just I feel for the next 5 or so years, Disney is not to invest more money to expanding that park, at least not anything drastic. For right now, I would assume Disney would focus it's attention on building up other theme parks such as AK and HS, which are in need of some updates.

Californian Elitist

Song of the South is a little different than Cars. It was indeed popular when it came out in 1946, but it dealt with some controversial issues which is why future generations didn't really watch it. Disney only used the animated section of the film when developing Splash Mountain, and created a unique and fantastic attraction out of it. Also, they didn't turn Song of the South into an entire land like they did for Cars, it was for one attraction. I don't think longterm, making an entire land out of one movie was the best way to go. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would have rather seen a more diverse area, such as a pixar place type land with RSR as one of many attractions. I'm just saying that although RSR a great addition to the park, I was expecting more (thrill wise) from a project that cost so much. I was expecting this to be far superior than Test Track in that respect but I just didn't see it. This was the most expensive ride ever built for the Disneyland Resort, and with that great budget comes great expectations. And I never said DL or DCA would stay the same forever. I just said that I feel DCA is going to stay roughly the same for a while after this expensive expansion.

DCA basically already is Pixar Place; we've got A Bug's Land, Monster's Inc, Toy Story Midway Mania and now Cars Land. Not to mention the Pixar Pals Parade, which represents other Pixar characters.

I don't think RSR was ever supposed to be a thrill thing, but more of a visual thing, hence the backdrop and the AAs. I don't think an expensive ride means it has to go fast. I think it'll be okay if DCA stays the same for a while. There's nothing really wrong with that, unless you visit with the mentality that the park doesn't change.

misterID

It's Test Track with a Radiator Springs backdrop the same way Journey To The Center Of The Earth at DisneySea is "just" Test Track with a Jules Verne backdrop.

Journey To The Center Of The Earth, DisneySea - Featuring Test Track 2.0 Ride System
6769614199_d2f51103e3_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7030/6769614199_d2f51103e3_z.jpg

Or, similarly, Maelstrom is "just" Pirates of the Caribbean with a Norwegian backdrop. But it's not really, is it?

RSR uses the same basic ride system and conveyance process as Test Track, but is a very different ride experience.

This would look so good in AK.

...along with Mystic Manor.

spacemt354

Chili's
I don't think RSR was ever supposed to be a thrill thing, but more of a visual thing, hence the backdrop and the AAs. I don't think an expensive ride means it has to go fast.
No, you're right. Expensive rides do not have to be fast. There are plenty of rides that cost alot and do not go fast. But the whole theme of the Cars film is racing, going fast, and the thrill aspect. Even the main character's name is "Lightning" McQueen. I can appriciate viewing the scenery in the first half of the ride, but to have the thrilling race part of the ride top out at around 35 mph, I was expecting a lot more I guess.

WDW1974

DCA setting 'records' isn't surprising. They spent almost $2 billion there over the last 5-6 years (even predating the actual Extreme Makeover) and the locals (many of who have APs that can't be used beyond this weekend) are rushing to see what was done.

As an aside, anyone who waits six hours for a theme park attraction needs psychiatric evaluation IMHO. Hell, anyone who waits three hours needs it!!!

Some things to consider: first, the obvious, and that is DLR expansion has little to do with what gets done at WDW or what doesn't. This is simply stating how the company operates its P&R unit, it is not opinion. It isn't one resort gets something so the other doesn't, even though that has been a fan 'issue' for as long as internet discussion forums have existed.

DCA's attendance has been great, though, but it does come with one big concern. And that's that Disney did such a good job with DCA that it could create problems for DL down the road. The last attraction to open at DL that wasn't a reopening (subs) or taking the place of something else (Buzz Lightyear) or a rehash (EO) ... of substance was Indy back in 1995 (almost as bad as the MK). The reason TDA/Burbank are concerned is guests may opt to cut a day or two off their visits when Potter opens up the 101 and losing a day in Anaheim means so much more than losing a day in O-Town. And if Disney has been hurt by Potter there, and they have to some degree, things would be much worse in Anaheim.

So, you have two projects being fast-tracked for Walt's park ... and you even have legit blue sky work being done on a potential third gate in Anaheim.

And what that means to WDW is absolutely, positively nothing at all.

Just like Grizzly Gulch opening in Hong Kong shortly. Just like TSMM and all the new summer entertainment debutting in Tokyo. Hell, even the new Ratatouille: Remy's Kitchen Calamity opening in Paris means nothing in O-Town.

WDW sinks or swims based on decisions made for it. What transpires in Anaheim has little to do with how successful Carsland is ... besides, WDW DID open its own version this week too!

Californian Elitist

No, you're right. Expensive rides do not have to be fast. There are plenty of rides that cost alot and do not go fast. But the whole theme of the Cars film is racing, going fast, and the thrill aspect. Even the main character's name is "Lightning" McQueen. I can appriciate viewing the scenery in the first half of the ride, but to have the thrilling race part of the ride top out at around 35 mph, I was expecting a lot more I guess.

Oh, ok. I understand more now, what you're saying.

WDW1974

People have the reasonable expectation that new cutting edge experiences will be added to their Disney theme park experiences as time passes. I would guess if you do not you are the exception to the rule.

So ... now it is reasonable to expect new cutting edge experiences?

Thanks, JT, I've only been saying that about the MK for a few decades now.

But I know ... they've had to 'fix' other things (that have nothing to do with WDW) first. Glad you finally see the light, Frank!

WDW1974

Oh ... and doncha think you're jumping to conclusions about how successful DCA 2.0 is?

It hasn't even been open a week yet. Why don't we give it time? Why don't we let all the locals (since it is a locals park I keep being told here over and over again) have a chance to OCD visit it over and over again and then we can judge.

Personally, I think it will be quite successful. But 5-6 days proves very little ... especially since there are virtually no crowds/lines in the park beyond the new lands.

TP2000

I didn't know that, thanks for your input. Although I stand by what I said before. The fact that indeed DCA has now become a formidable park, it's just I feel for the next 5 or so years, Disney is not to invest more money to expanding that park, at least not anything drastic. For right now, I would assume Disney would focus it's attention on building up other theme parks such as AK and HS, which are in need of some updates.

Agreed!

I will be fascinated to watch what TDO takes away from this whole DCA success that TDA is now managing. Does TDO take this lesson from DCA 2.0 and run with it for DHS or Epcot, or do they stick their head in the sand and only greenlight more DVC and maybe a new parade over the next decade?

The ball is in TDO's court now, served deftly to them by the Anaheim team.

WDW1974

Really? Do you know there was supposed to be a Phase II to DCA's Extreme Makeover Theme Park Edition?

One that was supposed to address issues from PP to Hollywoodland that weren't touched in this phase ... funny how no one really talks about that. I am sure those projects will look great in a new coffee table book in 2015.

WDW1974

I was kind of afraid of this. But, I can't say I'm surprised.

I am only afraid if the project gets to a higher stage before Iger, Staggs and Rasulo exit the company.

There's plenty of time for them to go in another direction from where Iger is intent on heading.

Californian Elitist

I am only afraid if the project gets to a higher stage before Iger, Staggs and Rasulo exit the company.

There's plenty of time for them to go in another direction from where Iger is intent on heading.

I just don't want this new park, should we even get one, to be a screw up like DCA was. Not only that but there are rumors going around of the third gate being a water park and I don't really want that either. I think two parks at the DLR is just fine.

Mike K

Obviously, this must be very, very early in the game but do you have any idea what kinds of directions they may be heading as far as the theme for a third gate? Thanks in advance. Really appreciate your posts, there always informative.

WDW1974

I think once the FLE is complete at MK, the focus will turn to the little things that need to be addressed. My friend, who is a CM, told me Tomorrowland is getting completely refurbished once FLE is complete and open. I am ok with that. I wouldn't want to go to a park where expansion and refurbishments are going on all over the place that it hinders my vacation.
I understand that DHS/DAK/EPCOT all need updating. WDW is more concerned with MK because it's the big money maker.

I wouldn't count on anything happening at any park beyond the possibility of Avatar at DAK ... I absolutely don't see them putting any more capital into the MK, regardless of what your friend said. They just don't want to spend in FLA beyond the bare minimum.

WDW1974

Obviously, this must be very, very early in the game but do you have any idea what kinds of directions they may be heading as far as the theme for a third gate? Thanks in advance. Really appreciate your posts, there always informative.

Yes, I do. I can't really comment, but if you heard Iger and Staggs talking last week then you'll have a very good idea what ideas they think are MARVELous:eek::rolleyes::cool:!!!

Oh, and no water parks for Anaheim ... a Great Wolf Lodge is opening about two miles south of DL on Harbor Blvd. Knott's Soak City is just up the road too ... and there are probably 3-4 others within 90 minutes that I can think of. That was an old idea tossed around.

Mike K

In
Yes, I do. I can't really comment, but if you heard Iger and Staggs talking last week then you'll have a very good idea what ideas they think are MARVELous:eek::rolleyes::cool:!!!

Oh, and no water parks for Anaheim ... a Great Wolf Lodge is opening about two miles south of DL on Harbor Blvd. Knott's Soak City is just up the road too ... and there are probably 3-4 others within 90 minutes that I can think of. That was an old idea tossed around.

Interesting and it makes absolute sense. Where were Iger and Staggs discussing this? Would you happen to have a link?

The Avengers was a massive success and an incredibly fun flick. Marvel is under Disney's umbrella now and to just sit on there potential in the California parks wouldn't make sense. If the Avengers or other Marvel characters were going to get park treatment, I was hoping it would be in Anaheim. I think there spirit would suit a third gate incredibly well and I'm sure will give guests some quality experiences.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom