D23 Expo Theme Park News and Announcements

MerlinTheGoat

Beautiful pictures, thanks! Especially adore the Land pavilion that never was, a work of art. I love the final product as well, but it looks like they had even more ambitious plans initially.

I do have to say that Spaceship Earth seemed to turn out really well in the final version, seemed like they went pretty ambitious by actually building the entire thing inside the globe itself.

Also, is it just me or does the purple base here look kind of like a hidden Mickey?-
IMG_2834-L.jpg

Black Pearl

Not gonna lie, the only thing I was bummed about was the lack of the words "Wreck It Ralph" with a number 2 in there somewhere.

I didn't expect them to say anything clearly on Star Wars or Avatar and would have been surprised if it happened. It was very tongue in cheek.

PhotoDave219

Not gonna lie, the only thing I was bummed about was the lack of the words "Wreck It Ralph" with a number 2 in there somewhere.

I didn't expect them to say anything clearly on Star Wars or Avatar and would have been surprised if it happened. It was very tongue in cheek.

Im pretty sure Star Wars is a train that cant be derailed. Gonna guess that DisneyLAND gets it first and DHS gets it AFTER the springs are finished... which fits with the speculated timeline for a new victory way entrance.

Black Pearl

Im pretty sure Star Wars is a train that cant be derailed. Gonna guess that DisneyLAND gets it first and DHS gets it AFTER the springs are finished... which fits with the speculated timeline for a new victory way entrance.

When I think about it, it seems so simple yet at the same time it could also be surprisingly easy to screw up from a guest perspective ala the majority view of the prequels. I'm not a diehard but I like it enough to want it done right, so I'm more concerned with that over when. As for Avatar... I think it could be pretty, and I'll check it out of course, but it just doesn't do much for me. The park isn't open late so the awesome nighttime look with the lights shining is out of the question I imagine.

alissafalco

I wouldn't be surprised if Mission: Space was helpful in convincing folks with a preexisting condition that they shouldn't go on it. For years no one took those warning signs seriously or even read them. Maybe that helped prevent someone from buying the farm on FJ.

Have I missed something? Did someone get hurt on one of those rides? What happened?

TP2000

I've come across more of Bob Iger's comments on building Star Wars rides, although so far Iger has only talked about building it at Disneyland. You just have to believe that WDW factors in there somehow too however. But what a wasted opportunity to NOT announce anything about this stuff at D23 Expo, especially if announcements on new Disneyland rides are just a "couple of months" away according to Iger.

Here's a quote from the Boston Globe this morning, mentioning the "hints" of Star Wars attractions at D23 Expo's WDI Pavilion...

The hints followed comments by chairman and CEO Robert Iger, who said on a conference call Tuesday that the Burbank, Calif.-based company plans to announce new attractions in Disneyland, the original park in Anaheim opened by the founder of Walt Disney in 1955. Disney acquired ‘‘Star Wars’’ maker Lucasfilm last year for $4.1 billion.

‘‘We’re going to continue to invest in Disneyland,’’ Iger said. ‘‘We’ve got some pretty exciting things that we’ll be announcing over the next couple of months.’’
http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...-attraction/pyipJNRQOVZEDXSQUIF7XP/story.html

So if a Star Wars announcement is coming this fall, and many of these plans have been leaked on Micechat recently anyway, why not use D23 Expo to show something more than wooden crates?!? And I assume the "things" plural that Iger mentioned also include the Door Coaster E Ticket for DCA, aside from Star Wars next door in Tomorrowland. The corporate strategy behind D23 Expo and what it could do for Disney, but what they didn't let it do at least this time, just completely baffles me. What am I missing here??? o_O

Disneyfanman

Ummmmmm..................I've in hospitality and restaurant service my whole life. Good service is the objective of any decent restaurant. Guest satisfaction ratings are a fine tool but trends and averages can mask the fact that anyone can have a bad experience, tell a ton of people about it, and cost you in reputation and future business.

Last edited by a moderator:

WDWFREAK53

When I think about it, it seems so simple yet at the same time it could also be surprisingly easy to screw up from a guest perspective ala the majority view of the prequels. I'm not a diehard but I like it enough to want it done right, so I'm more concerned with that over when. As for Avatar... I think it could be pretty, and I'll check it out of course, but it just doesn't do much for me. The park isn't open late so the awesome nighttime look with the lights shining is out of the question I imagine.

I wouldn't say that... I think one of the main purposes of the new Avatarland expansion is to keep people in the parks later and having it at the front of the park keeps the guests away from the animals. Avatarland at night should be as big of a draw as a nighttime show for a lot of people. (I prefer riding Thunder Mountain at night so we save that for later in the day...I'm sure many will do the same with Avatarland...or maybe visit it twice to get both experiences).

TRONorail10

Spirit ate there for dinner, he didn't eat there during lunch/QS. He had a bad experience both times, I don't know why you are taking that so personally.

I've eaten there 4 times for dinner and the shrimp and scallops is one of the best tasting meals I've ever had at Disney. I don't know about him, but my service has been great each time. We know it's not signature dining, so we don't expect the most formal dining experience of our life, we just enjoy a nice meal in a themed restaurant. One of my worst dining experiences was at the Blue Bayou at Disneyland, my food was awful, the chicken I ordered wasn't even fully cooked. Will I ever go back? No. But, I don't go around telling others not to eat there, I let people make their own decisions. If he had an issue with a server specifically, then tough. You can have a bad server at any restaurant in the world, that doesn't mean the restaurant is necessarily bad, it just means that you should probably ask to speak with a manager and individual server should get disciplined.

With that said, I am highly looking forward to a Star Wars restaurant at Hollywood Studios. I could careless about the food and the service, I would still pay money because it's themed to Star Wars and that's what I want to experience.

SSE

I attended the D23 Expo and had a good time but I thought there could have been more. After seeing Bob Iger speak in person, I wish he was leaving sooner. He seemed very uninterested in being there and during the legends ceremony he looked uncomfortable at some moments.

I ended up buying some merchandise but there was not much I was interested in. I came with my father and we waited an hour and a half to get in the Disney store and didn't see a single thing we were interested in as other people were walking out with multiple bags. I also can't believe how much merchandise is already on eBay with people bidding over $100 on some of the vinylmations.

One main thing I though while I was there was I hope @WDW1974 writes his book on mental illness in the fan community. I thought he was exaggerating the type of fan that Disney has but I saw so many people that were extremely obese, arrested development or just seemed to have a mental disorder. At the end of the animation presentation as we were exiting I passed a man who was crying about what he just saw.

I also have a new disdain for many of the bloggers that were there. I don't follow any bloggers or sites, except for this and one or two others and very rarely read postings on twitter (I don't and will never have a twitter). But if I was Disney, I would be ashamed to have them at something this large associated with the company. Many waved their press badges and whined if they weren't given immediate attention or not treated like a celebrity. I also think many people here wouldn't know who Walt Disney was if he were still alive and they walked right into him.

I hope I don't come across as too negative about the whole experience. I did have a good time, and came just to have the experience and see what it was all about. My fiancée wanted to come so I may try to come to the next expo so she can experience it but after that I think I'll just stick with reading about what's going on from here.

I also probably could have met with Bob Gurr and Tony Baxter if I wanted, they were within arms reach, but they were surrounded by others and I don't think this is the venue I would want to meet with them in since I feel I wouldn't be able to ask the questions I would want or have the time. If anyone else attended I hope they had a good time.

I have one day left here and am getting ready to head to Disneyland and California Adventure.

Travel Junkie

Looking ahead now, the 2015 Expo could set up pretty well. A lot could be announced between now and then but nothing big will have opened. If they are vague on details about assumed announcements of Star War, Avatar and anything else, the 2015 expo would be a great opportunity to have a big reveal of what's coming.

Add Disneylands 60th is that year, there could be a little more emphasis on the parks next time around.

lebeau

Wow ... who else is going to have to take some time to recoup after being at such dizzying heights after all the D23 excitement?!

Said No One (Except Lou)

After the disappointment of the 2011 presentation, I was angry. This year, I just don't care anymore. They made it clear ahead of time they weren't going to try and they didn't. Based on the last few years, I just don't expect Disney to do anything in Orlando any more.

I figure I've got one more family trip before my girls are old enough to appreciate Universal. I expect that will be my last WDW trip until Disney turns things around. If that ever happens.

lebeau

Looking ahead now, the 2015 Expo could set up pretty well. A lot could be announced between now and then but nothing big will have opened. If they are vague on details about assumed announcements of Star War, Avatar and anything else, the 2015 expo would be a great opportunity to have a big reveal of what's coming.

Add Disneylands 60th is that year, there could be a little more emphasis on the parks next time around.

I'm looking forward to the 2032 convention when Disney will finally announce plans to move forward on the Monsters Inc coaster.

GLaDOS

I wonder if they will have started Avatar construction by 2015.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom