D23 Expo Theme Park News and Announcements

PeterAlt

If they're going to announce nothing, at least hold the convention in Orlando that way you don't have to fly out to Cali to be disappointed and those flying in from Cali will know what it feels like!

Bolna

I wonder if they will have started Avatar construction by 2015.

I personally wonder whether they will start Avatar construction before they open WWOHP Part 2 over at Universal. I still remember quite well that Avatar was announced shortly before my trip to WDW in October 2011 - I missed James Cameron's visit to AK by just one day. And during that trip I learned that @WDW1974 had brought up a rumour that Jaws would be closed and that area would be the phase two for Harry Potter. So to me these two plans were always kind of connected in my mind. And if one opens before the other starts construction, what better illustration could there be for different speeds in development?

Black Pearl

I wouldn't say that... I think one of the main purposes of the new Avatarland expansion is to keep people in the parks later and having it at the front of the park keeps the guests away from the animals. Avatarland at night should be as big of a draw as a nighttime show for a lot of people. (I prefer riding Thunder Mountain at night so we save that for later in the day...I'm sure many will do the same with Avatarland...or maybe visit it twice to get both experiences).

If it keeps the park open later and can utilize the natural lighting mixed with show lighting that could be awesome.

Cmdr_Crimson

OK. How did/do they do that? Pick up the recording from other films, with the same words? Just wondering.

While I have not seen the short yet..I'm sure it has to be somewhere along the lines..But, They did reuse archival recordings from various Donald Shorts to make it sound like an all new track. With the exception of five lines Tony Anselmo does (Humming Be out guest, Where's my hat?, A Pie?..Etc)

TP2000

One main thing I thought while I was there was I hope @WDW1974 writes his book on mental illness in the fan community. I thought he was exaggerating the type of fan that Disney has but I saw so many people that were extremely obese, arrested development or just seemed to have a mental disorder. At the end of the animation presentation as we were exiting I passed a man who was crying about what he just saw. ....

I have one day left here and am getting ready to head to Disneyland and California Adventure.

Treading lightly here, but you hit the nail on the head of an important element of the D23 Expo.

I went to D23 Expo this weekend for exactly one hour, and I spent about 35 minutes of that in the WDI Pavilion. Then cruised quickly through the rest of the exhibit halls, and I have to be honest and say I became uncomfortable with so many of the, um... unique adults that were there.

It is disheartening to see so many of Disney's most passionate fans who were as you described. It's not attractive, nor does it make one comfortable to be around. I simply had to walk away and drive home. It was easier to leave with nothing of any real substance displayed anywhere at D23 Expo this year. But still.

Thank you for broaching a subject that many of us observe and that makes many of us uncomfortable to be around. It's just a shame it has to be like this, that's all.

The good news is that as I type this you are somewhere inside Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom or next door at Cars Land and you are likely enjoying your day in those marvelous theme parks. Aside from D23 Expo, I hope your visit to Southern California was an enjoyable one! :)

Last edited:

willtravel

Oh please. I'm too bored to even give this a proper response.

We went to the FLE when it opened. A whole lot of nothing is what that was. A family coaster, no matter how nice it may turn out to be, isn't going to turn that project around. It took too long to build, cost too much money and in the end didn't amount to much at all.

Take a longer view. Aside from an over-hyped revamp of Toon Town that has yet to net a single ride, Disney has two refurbs and no major new attractions since... Toy Story Mania in 2008?

And now, they aren't even announcing things. Used to be they would at least announce things and not build them. Now, they hint at things they may or may not ever build. Yippee?

Keep snorting the Pixie Dust. Eventually, you'll build up a tolerance.
BBBBBBAAAAAHHHHH... I had to laugh at that one. That was good.:hilarious:

Captain Chaos

Actually they decided to cut back on the snow because they tried it in other areas and it was not as big a hit as they thought it would be.

Did they get that information by data mining the residents in the north? Those bands northerners are forced to wear I guess helped in determining the reduction of the snow. of course, the cities and states are still going to charge residents for the right to live there while providing and cutting services... Wait, WDW sounds like a real city/state after all LOL...

majortom1981

Oh please. I'm too bored to even give this a proper response.

We went to the FLE when it opened. A whole lot of nothing is what that was. A family coaster, no matter how nice it may turn out to be, isn't going to turn that project around. It took too long to build, cost too much money and in the end didn't amount to much at all.

Take a longer view. Aside from an over-hyped revamp of Toon Town that has yet to net a single ride, Disney has two refurbs and no major new attractions since... Toy Story Mania in 2008?

And now, they aren't even announcing things. Used to be they would at least announce things and not build them. Now, they hint at things they may or may not ever build. Yippee?

Keep snorting the Pixie Dust. Eventually, you'll build up a tolerance.

How is the little mermaid not a new ride?

Bocabear

Little Mermaid seems like such a "meh" new attraction...Especially if you have already been to Disneyland. The Queue really is quite wonderful, but the ride itself being a direct lift from DCA is still very short and disappointing that they did not come up with a little originality for this "ground up" attraction...an extra scene? a little deviation from the DCA version would have been nice.

lebeau

Little Mermaid seems like such a "meh" new attraction...Especially if you have already been to Disneyland. The Queue really is quite wonderful, but the ride itself being a direct lift from DCA is still very short and disappointing that they did not come up with a little originality for this "ground up" attraction...an extra scene? a little deviation from the DCA version would have been nice.

I'd say it's ho-hum, but I'm not sure it's exciting enough to qualify. It's just ho.

Wait... that's not right...

Great queue. Shame about the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom