D23 Expo Theme Park News and Announcements

SSE

Treading lightly here, but you hit the nail on the head of an important element of the D23 Expo.

I went to D23 Expo this weekend for exactly one hour, and I spent about 35 minutes of that in the WDI Pavilion. Then cruised quickly through the rest of the exhibit halls, and I have to be honest and say I became uncomfortable with so many of the, um... unique adults that were there.

It is disheartening to see so many of Disney's most passionate fans who were as you described. It's not attractive, nor does it make one comfortable to be around. I simply had to walk away and drive home. It was easier to leave with nothing of any real substance displayed anywhere at D23 Expo this year. But still.

Thank you for broaching a subject that many of us observe and that makes many of us uncomfortable to be around. It's just a shame it has to be like this, that's all.

The good news is that as I type this you are somewhere inside Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom or next door at Cars Land and you are likely enjoying your day in those marvelous theme parks. Aside from D23 Expo, I hope your visit to Southern California was an enjoyable one! :)

My vacation is now over and I am back home on the east coast. My father and I both agreed that we wish we had an extra day to visit the parks, but had a great time. Since we hadn't done a D23 Expo before we were under the false assumption that after the early morning presentations the other exhibits and shops wouldn't take longer than a half an hr to visit. We expected to do the Expo in the morning and Disneyland at night, but we were only able to visit the parks a couple days.

We had such a great time at the Disneyland resort for the few days we were there. My dad and I commented that we felt more relaxed at Disneyland and California Adventure than we ever do at the Walt Disney World Resort. I don't know if that is a normal feeling people have or if it was just the time of year. One thing I also loved about the parks is the amount of trees and plants that they both have. It adds a great atmosphere to the park. In my opinion the attention to detail is also more prevalent there than Florida. I thought it was great, but also made me angry because I wonder if there will ever be management in Florida that will make a difference. Since WDW is my home resort I will always have a love for it, but after this trip if I had to choose between the two. I would choose Disneyland every time over WDW.

One thing I remember from the Animation presentation was when John Lasseter began talking about the movies coming from Walt Disney Animation Studios, is that he tells everyone they need to make these movies they need to be amazing because they have Walt's name on it. Which makes me feel that the company should hold the same standard to WDW.

I also loved Southern California. The weather was really amazing every day we were there. We talked with some cast members who said this is the nicest summer they have had in awhile. Each morning it was completely cloudy, but by around 10 - 10:30 the sky was bright blue without a single cloud in sight. It was hot in some spots, but there was a nice breeze that kept us from sweating or feeling too hot. The one thing I didn't enjoy (which is unrelated to Disney) is the amount of garbage on the highways. It is like that back at home too, but anywhere I go I hate seeing the amount of garbage people just litter a long our streets. I also don't know if it is because it was my first time on the highways out there, but it just seemed like there was a lot more than I was used to.

I will definitely be back, but unless its another trip with my dad or a family trip it probably won't be for a number of years. There are so many things I want to do and right now I can't afford to do what I want and take trips to Disney every other year or more. I think my next trip will be back to California though, but this time I want to check out Northern California. I want to see Nappa Valley and the Redwoods and also take a trip to the Walt Disney Family Museum.

TP2000

We had such a great time at the Disneyland resort for the few days we were there. My dad and I commented that we felt more relaxed at Disneyland and California Adventure than we ever do at the Walt Disney World Resort. I don't know if that is a normal feeling people have or if it was just the time of year. One thing I also loved about the parks is the amount of trees and plants that they both have. It adds a great atmosphere to the park. In my opinion the attention to detail is also more prevalent there than Florida. I thought it was great, but also made me angry because I wonder if there will ever be management in Florida that will make a difference. Since WDW is my home resort I will always have a love for it, but after this trip if I had to choose between the two. I would choose Disneyland every time over WDW.

That about sums up what most WDW vets experience on their first trip to Disneyland.

Disneyland Resort just has a different vibe and feel to it, and I enjoy comparing/contrasting the way Disney operates the two American properties. Some of the differences at Disneyland are directly attributed to the very different SoCal climate and the demographic of people that visit Anaheim, and there's nothing that TDO can do to change that about WDW. But some of the differences between Anaheim and Orlando are due to purposeful differences in management and the decisions they make that impact the paying customers.

It's fascinating to think about, and it is often baffling that these two theme park properties in America are run by the same company. There's a lot of similarities obviously, but sometimes they couldn't be more different.

It's a bummer about the lines at D23 Expo. I saw the giant pen of switchbacks to get into the Disney Consumer Products exhibit for the privilege of buying stuff from the Disney Store, and I turned and walked out of the convention center and drove home. Don't worry, you'll have more opportunity to revisit California without the D23 Expo later in your life. California will still be here! :D

Last edited:

TP2000

Another question comes to mind...There is another D23 Expo coming in October in Japan...I'm wondering what's going to happen there..

Yeah, me too. Especially considering that Tokyo's Tomorrowland is even more aged, irrelevant and with fewer attractions than Anaheim's Tomorrowland. There have been rumors of big plans to redo Tokyo's Tomorrowland for the past decade, and it desperately needs it.

I think we may be forgetting that the Star Wars Tomorrowland project could be announced for two parks at the same time in October; Anaheim and Tokyo.

Last edited:

Captain Neo

Truth be told, so would they. Minor SW updates were planned for the parks until the IP was bought. It was then rushed through with the order to invent something and fast.

They have had almost a year now of design time and they already have 9 films and a rich expanded universe to pull from. The Lucasfilm acquistion was in October 2012. So i'm very excited to see what they have planned.

Magenta Panther

My vacation is now over and I am back home on the east coast. My father and I both agreed that we wish we had an extra day to visit the parks, but had a great time. Since we hadn't done a D23 Expo before we were under the false assumption that after the early morning presentations the other exhibits and shops wouldn't take longer than a half an hr to visit. We expected to do the Expo in the morning and Disneyland at night, but we were only able to visit the parks a couple days.

One thing I remember from the Animation presentation was when John Lasseter began talking about the movies coming from Walt Disney Animation Studios, is that he tells everyone they need to make these movies they need to be amazing because they have Walt's name on it. Which makes me feel that the company should hold the same standard to WDW.

I also loved Southern California. The weather was really amazing every day we were there. We talked with some cast members who said this is the nicest summer they have had in awhile. Each morning it was completely cloudy, but by around 10 - 10:30 the sky was bright blue without a single cloud in sight. It was hot in some spots, but there was a nice breeze that kept us from sweating or feeling too hot. The one thing I didn't enjoy (which is unrelated to Disney) is the amount of garbage on the highways. It is like that back at home too, but anywhere I go I hate seeing the amount of garbage people just litter a long our streets. I also don't know if it is because it was my first time on the highways out there, but it just seemed like there was a lot more than I was used to.

I will definitely be back, but unless its another trip with my dad or a family trip it probably won't be for a number of years. There are so many things I want to do and right now I can't afford to do what I want and take trips to Disney every other year or more. I think my next trip will be back to California though, but this time I want to check out Northern California. I want to see Nappa Valley and the Redwoods and also take a trip to the Walt Disney Family Museum.

If you go to Napa Valley, bring sweaters. Nice wool sweaters. Sweaters that required a whole herd of sheep to produce. It's b*tchin' cold down there.

RSoxNo1

Overuse of video screens is an issue with both modern Universal AND Disney (just look at Toy Story Mania). It's something I dislike about the newer attractions in both companies' parks. Martin confirmed recently (in one of the spirited threads I believe) that Universal was going to be stepping up and building more rides aimed towards elaborate sets and animatronics within the next few years as their apparently projects pile into the parks (I hear tell that Gringotts is going to have more physical sets and robotic elements than Forbidden Journey), so that leaves us with questioning what Disney will do to counter that.

If rumors of a Star Wars coaster with a video screen bolted to the cars as a supplement for actual sets and characters is their answer for competing with Universal's plans, you can count me out. I don't really have any clue what they're planning with Avatar, but i'm willing to guess that video screens will also be a huge part of that experience as well.

Along with Universal supposedly investing in building new rides with physical sets and animatronics, Martin also said they were going to be building rides the entire family could enjoy (slower paced ones without thrills), which makes my demographic very pleased to hear.
Between 1999 and 2012 the only attraction Disney made with more than one animatronic was Stitch's Great Escape.

MerlinTheGoat

Between 1999 and 2012 the only attraction Disney made with more than one animatronic was Stitch's Great Escape.
Yes I know, unless you count attractions at the Tokyo parks (which I gather was built by Disney imagineers but fully funded by the OLC). Sinbad has a ton, and Pooh's Hunny Hunt has a couple (though not nearly as many as Sinbad).

As I said though, it's a problem I have with both companies. It sounds like Universal now actually has a bit of an edge in that regard during that time frame (especially if you count the international resorts), and adding even more in the future if what Martin said was true. But I want both companies to strive for what was accomplished by Disney from the 1960's on through the 1980's and early 1990's. The animatronics rich attractions like Pirates and EPCOT's originals are my gold standard.

RSoxNo1

Yes I know, unless you count attractions at the Tokyo parks (which I gather was built by Disney imagineers but fully funded by the OLC). Sinbad has a ton, and Pooh's Hunny Hunt has a couple (though not nearly as many as Sinbad).

As I said though, it's a problem I have with both companies. It sounds like Universal now actually has a bit of an edge in that regard during that time frame (especially if you count the international resorts), and adding even more in the future if what Martin said was true. But I want both companies to strive for what was accomplished by Disney from the 1960's on through the 1980's and early 1990's. The animatronics rich attractions like Pirates and EPCOT's originals are my gold standard.
I'm talking Walt Disney World... this is a Disney World forum.

FigmentJedi

All right, between the Dreamfinder and Hatbox Ghost teases and this caption on the Western River Expedition model saying things in a "When it is built" tense versus a "If it was built" one, was there some internal competition at Imagineering for "Who can tease Disney park fans the hardest at the Expo"?

EDIT: I just learned it's left over from its exhibition in the Walt Disney Story years ago, but it still kinda stings that they'd leave it on there.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom