D23 Expo Theme Park News and Announcements

Captain Chaos

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.

Its a fantastic attraction that people with any sort of preexisting condition shouldnt ride. Its very thrilling and a fantastic use of the technology.

Hopefully you'll be able to experience Gringotts... Sounds thrilling but not in that thrill kind of way, unlike FJ...

WeLComeHomE OKW

Okay, I have a question for you.

Which is more important from your perspective: Short term profits or Long term investments?

Thats what most of our root core issues come down to. Theres a group of us being vocal about Disney's lack of foresight and investing in a long term strategy when it comes to the theme park.

Personally, I dont think its good for the long term health of the company for the CEO to be paid in stock options; it allows for shortsightedness and fuels a quarterly, miopic view of things rather than a long term plan.
I think it's somewhat ironic that you're putting yourself in his camp yet suggesting that your argument is about long term investments. I think if anything Disney has been proving that they are only about long-term investments right now not short-term gains. I think that, you will see in the future, not too far from now, that they are going to be making some changes. But, you have to remember, They've invested $1 billion into California adventure, into their cruise lines, into the infrastructure for Disney World and the system on how to guess interact with it. This is now the time, in the near future, when they can start making changes to the attractions again and entertainment value in our parks. I think these are the long-term investments that I am talking about and why I just don't really understand how a big fan of Disney World's cannot see what I see and go from 100% in 0% in so fast. I am among the voices that are in disdain over how to Disney has treated Disney World over the past five years. But, I also understand that life is longer than five years and I want to give one of my favorite places a chance to improve over a longer time. Instead of realizing what a terrible place it is all of a sudden.

Goofyernmost

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.

Its a fantastic attraction that people with any sort of preexisting condition shouldnt ride. Its very thrilling and a fantastic use of the technology.
I wouldn't be surprised if Mission: Space was helpful in convincing folks with a preexisting condition that they shouldn't go on it. For years no one took those warning signs seriously or even read them. Maybe that helped prevent someone from buying the farm on FJ.

PhotoDave219

I think it's somewhat ironic that you're putting yourself in his camp yet suggesting that your argument is about long term investments. I think if anything Disney has been proving that they are only about long-term investments right now not short-term gains. I think that, you will see in the future, not too far from now, that they are going to be making some changes. But, you have to remember, They've invested $1 billion into California adventure, into their cruise lines, into the infrastructure for Disney World and the system on how to guess interact with it. This is now the time, in the near future, when they can start making changes to the attractions again and entertainment value in our parks. I think these are the long-term investments that I am talking about and why I just don't really understand how a big fan of Disney World's cannot see what I see and go from 100% in 0% in so fast. I am among the voices that are in disdain over how to Disney has treated Disney World over the past five years. But, I also understand that life is longer than five years and I want to give one of my favorite places a chance to improve over a longer time. Instead of realizing what a terrible place it is all of a sudden.

Okay.

I respectfully disagree.

I dont feel that Disney is continuing to reinvest in the parks. And by "the parks" I'm specifically talking about the Walt Disney World Resort.

DCA, cruise line, thats all nice but no, thats not the topic at hand. You are citing examples of how the company is making long term investments in other parts of the company, same division.

No one is saying is has gone to 0. No one is saying its a terrible place.

What we are saying is that they are not producing the cutting edge attractions in Orlando. They're not the trend setters anymore and they're losing market share in Orlando.

And we want that to change.

WeLComeHomE OKW

Okay.

I respectfully disagree.

I dont feel that Disney is continuing to reinvest in the parks. And by "the parks" I'm specifically talking about the Walt Disney World Resort.

DCA, cruise line, thats all nice but no, thats not the topic at hand. You are citing examples of how the company is making long term investments in other parts of the company, same division.

No one is saying is has gone to 0. No one is saying its a terrible place.

What we are saying is that they are not producing the cutting edge attractions in Orlando. They're not the trend setters anymore and they're losing market share in Orlando.

And we want that to change.
I don't disagree. I just think the company is bigger than wdw and we need some perspective to understand it will come, We just happen to be in line and I think our time is coming soon. You have to realize that universal only has Three parks in the United States and they have a brand-new owner that realizes that theme parks have giant profit margins and that their investments have been paying off. This is something Disney knows too which is why they developed cars land in Disney's California adventure. I also think that that is why they're going to make investments in Hollywood studios very soon that will try and recoup some of what many consider to be a lackluster effort. Overall, I have very similar feelings to you. I just know that right now there's no point in crying about spilled milk when I see that Disney is investing billions of dollars every year to their themepark division and I know that that money will see our parks soon but right now is maybe not that time. I agree that that sentiment is what Disney wants me to think and that it is still unacceptable but I look forward to seeing the changes that will be coming to Disney World soon and I really honestly don't think they are that far away. I think in five years we will have a very different perspective on the type of investments Disney is making our parks

Last edited:

WeLComeHomE OKW

If you don't want it censored, why are you making a big deal over '74's posts? I'm not trying to be snarky or smart, I'm honestly wondering?
I think a healthy debate is important but I also think reasonable heads should prevail. I don't use the ignore function. Varied opinions are important to me and I never want to whitewash my feelings on one of my favorite places in the world. If there are negative reactions to things I still want to know about it and read it to try and understand how other people are feeling. I don't come here just to feel nostalgic and enjoy myself, I come here to be a part of the conversation and to read everything about this place and that includes negative posts but that also doesn't mean I have to like them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Californian Elitist

I think a healthy debate is important but I also think reasonable heads should prevail. I don't use the ignore function . Varied opinions are important to me and I never want to whitewash my feelings on one of my favorite places in the world. If there are negative reactions to things I still want to know about it and read it to try and understand how other people are feeling. I don't come here just to feel nostalgic and enjoy myself, I come here to be a part of the conversation and to read everything about this place and that includes negative posts but that also doesn't mean I have to like them.

Thank you for your honest response.

Last edited by a moderator:

PhotoDave219

I

I don't disagree. I just think the company is bigger than wdw and we need some perspective to understand it will come, We just happen to be in line and I think our time is coming soon. You have to realize that universal only has Three parks in the United States and they have a brand-new owner that realizes that theme parks have giant profit margins and that their investments have been paying off. This is something Disney knows to which is why they developed cars land in Disney's California adventure. I also think that that is why they're going to make investments in Hollywood studios very soon that will try and recoup some of what many consider to be a lackluster effort. Overall, I have very similar feelings to you. I just know that right now there's no point in crying about stilted milk when I see that Disney is investing billions of dollars every year to their themepark division and I know that that money will see carparks soon but right now is maybe not that time. I agree that that sentiment is what Disney wants me to think and that it is still unacceptable but I look forward to seeing the changes that will be coming to Disney World soon and I really honestly don't think they are that far away. I think in five years we will have a very different perspective on the type of investments Disney is making carparks

We're not far off from each other, but I just don't feel investing $2B+ in a "magicband" that (among other things) is a giant datamining and guest behavior science experiment attracts new business and growth.

Star Wars will happen. Just not soon enough for my or others tastes.

Disneyfan_76

I found them unable to find medium rare for a steak. I'm one of those picky people that insists on a warm red center being exactly that. I found them unable to serve hot fries with my steak. I'm one of those picky people that insists on hot food when paying more than $40/entree.

I felt rushed both times I ate there. I found the cut of the meat significantly better and cooked properly at Citricos, Yachtsman and The Wave, not to mention Shula's.

I think this is true of any of the 'fine' dinning experiences, and I would be mad as well. A number of years ago, my wife and I had a nice early dinner planned at the Yachtsman for our wedding anniversery. It was my first time eating there and I was really excited to check it off my list. The food was horrible. My wife's steak was bloody (she asked for well-done), and my steak was cold in the middle (supposed to be medium). Not only was it cooked poorly, but it was way overseasoned with pepper. The service was also terrible and we were one of only 3 couples in the dinning area at the time. The rest of the food was just ok, but nothing special that I couldn't get anywhere else. I was so disappointed.

I think that I expected better not only because of the pricepoint of the establishment, but also because of its reputation and the fact that on vacation I expect something a little better than what I can get in my own back yard. Ten years prior to that vacation, during our honeymoon at Disney, we did not have a single issue with any meal. In fact, the service and quality of the meals were so outstanding that we really expected the same thing when we returned years later. Now, part of that may have had to do with the fact that we were two poorly fed medical students, at the time, who had been living off of hospital food for quite a while, so really anything would have probably tasted amazing. However, there were some changes that really shocked me. Every time we have come to WDW, I have noticed a general decline in the service and food. The one I was most disappointed with was cinderella's castle. You used to be able to get a great meal there for two without having to have the meet-n-greet dinner show crammed down your throat. They went from having amazing food in a beautiful setting to serving chicken nuggets while you got bibby-bobbity-ripped off.

I have never eaten at the wave or shula's but I hope to during our next trip. There are some great dinning experiences at WDW and I would hate to see much of that decline any further than it already has.

bhg469

We're not far off from each other, but I just don't feel investing $2B+ in a "magicband" that (among other things) is a giant datamining and guest behavior science experiment attracts new business and growth.

Star Wars will happen. Just not soon enough for my or others tastes.

A star wars announcement is loooooong overdue my friend. I'm not sold that they will even do it half as well as uni is handling potter.

Admiral01

Premium Member
No offense, but have you ever been to Florida? I lived there 30 years and the weather was great most of the year. Lots of snowbirds agree too. ;)

California (Anaheim) "great" in August means 80 degrees and 60% humidity, with zero chance of rain.

Florida (Orlando) "great" in August means 95 degrees, like 80% humidity, and a good chance of afternoon showers.

I would choose California weather over Florida weather in the summer. This coming from an unbiased Chicagoan who now lives in Washington, D.C. (possible two of the most disgustingly humid places to spend a summer).

PhotoDave219

California (Anaheim) "great" in August means 80 degrees and 60% humidity, with zero chance of rain.

Florida (Orlando) "great" in August means 95 degrees, like 80% humidity, and a good chance of afternoon showers.

I would choose California weather over Florida weather in the summer. This coming from an unbiased Chicagoan who now lives in Washington, D.C. (possible two of the most disgustingly humid places to spend a summer).

DC Weather (I grew up near Dulles) is very much like Orlando's. Horribly disgusting.

tare

I thought I read that d23 was going to have two ride through experiences of two upcoming attractions.... Did I imagine this? Haven't seen anything posted anywhere.... Was hoping for more Snow White info for wdw and some ratatouille info for Paris.
Now that would have been really cool.

ThemeParkJunkee

Sort of skimmed the entire thread after being gone for the weekend and it is kind of sad that a large number of D23 discussions are about where we should have it based on weather and where a good steak house is in the vacinity. Sigh...

JWG

Well, we did learn what Iger considers to be longer than "anytime soon". Given the growing rumors that Imagination will be shuttered in January and Iger's statement (during Baxter's introduction) that Figment isn't going anywhere anytime soon... Five months until anytime soon expires.

TP2000

Sort of skimmed the entire thread after being gone for the weekend and it is kind of sad that a large number of D23 discussions are about where we should have it based on weather and where a good steak house is in the vacinity. Sigh...

What else was there to talk about? They didn't announce anything at D23 Expo and just rehashed old stuff.

One cool thing they did have in the WDI Pavilion was a couple of models of EPCOT Center pavilions. One was a 1978 concept for what would become The Land pavilion, but it had lots of groovy jewel-like greenhouses out front that led to a revolving carousel theater show and a suspended hot-air balloon ride attraction through various greenhouses and biospheres.

IMG_2571-L.jpg

IMG_2595-M.jpg

IMG_2607-M.jpg

They also had an early concept model from 1978 for Spaceship Earth, where the geodesic dome was smaller and most of the Omnimover dark ride took place in a separate building nearby. Although it looks like the Space Age grand finale to the ride would take place inside the dome.
IMG_2834-L.jpg

IMG_2860-M.jpg

IMG_2875-M.jpg

IMG_2883-M.jpg

IMG_2893-M.jpg

As a big Epcot fan, I found these models to be very interesting and spent several minutes looking at them. Unfortunately I'm afraid their uniqueness was lost on the majority of the California crowd at the Expo, as they seemed to be the least popular offerings in the WDI Pavilion. There was also a giant model of the Disney Springs mall for WDW, but that was even less popular and no one in the crowded exhibit area appeared to even glance at it when I was there looking it over.

These exhibits would be great to see in an Epcot display of some sort though. Pictures courtesy of tomorrow's Dateline Disneyland report on Micechat. http://datelinedisneyland.smugmug.com/DisneylandResort/2013

Last edited:

ThemeParkJunkee

Thank you TP2000 for the great pictures of "what might have been". I was at WDW for the "soft opening" of AK and was excited by the CM's descriptions of what would soon be added to the new park. Sadly, one of three ideas came to fruition.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom