D23 Expo Theme Park News and Announcements

majortom1981

After the disappointment of the 2011 presentation, I was angry. This year, I just don't care anymore. They made it clear ahead of time they weren't going to try and they didn't. Based on the last few years, I just don't expect Disney to do anything in Orlando any more.

I figure I've got one more family trip before my girls are old enough to appreciate Universal. I expect that will be my last WDW trip until Disney turns things around. If that ever happens.

? They just opened most of the new fantasy land and next year they will open the mine train and the rest of fantasy land. The have 6 months to a 1 year to announce something else being added for 2015. Why must Disney be doing multiple additions every year? 1 really big one isn't enough?

SJN1279

IMHO, The ride that needs the most updating in all of WDW is The Great Movie Ride. They should ditch the tour guides, make the ride vehicles a little faster, and add Star Wars, Pirates, some classic Animation, Villains, Some Pixar, and update Mary Poppins and Indy. The Billboards on I4 alone would be epic! :)

lebeau

? They just opened most of the new fantasy land and next year they will open the mine train and the rest of fantasy land. The have 6 months to a 1 year to announce something else being added for 2015. Why must Disney be doing multiple additions every year? 1 really big one isn't enough?

We went to the FLE when it opened. A whole lot of nothing is what that was. A family coaster, no matter how nice it may turn out to be, isn't going to turn that project around. It took too long to build, cost too much money and in the end didn't amount to much at all.

Take a longer view. Aside from an over-hyped revamp of Toon Town that has yet to net a single ride, Disney has two refurbs and no major new attractions since... Toy Story Mania in 2008?

And now, they aren't even announcing things. Used to be they would at least announce things and not build them. Now, they hint at things they may or may not ever build. Yippee?

Last edited by a moderator:

lebeau

IMHO, The ride that needs the most updating in all of WDW is The Great Movie Ride. They should ditch the tour guides, make the ride vehicles a little faster, and add Star Wars, Pirates, some classic Animation, Villains, Some Pixar, and update Mary Poppins and Indy. The Billboards on I4 alone would be epic! :)

Nope. Wrong answer. The correct answer is that the GMR just needs some fresh AAs. The park it is in needs a lot of work.

Thanks for playing. As a consolation prize, be sure to check out the cryptic crates that hint at things we may eventually build if HP 2.0 takes too much of our market share.

NowInc

Too much? Nope... How many people with pre-existing conditions have died from riding FJ? None... Now compare that to how many people have died from riding Mission Space... It isn't too much... it is a sad but true fact...

...by that same standard...more people with pre-existing conditions on ferris wheels and merry-go-rounds than they have on FJ.

Bocabear

I am surprised to see that there really truly were NO announcements at D23...I know they said there would not be any, but kept thinking they would pull something out.
What a shame. I will not be attending D23 again. 2011 was a fiasco...was looking to see how this one went...
now I am sure.

SJN1279

Nope. Wrong answer. The correct answer is that the GMR just needs some fresh AAs. The park it is in needs a lot of work.

Thanks for playing. As a consolation prize, be sure to check out the cryptic crates that hint at things we may eventually build if HP 2.0 takes too much of our market share.

The Great Movie ride is a family ride, that puts most families to sleep. I would be happy with an indoor Jedi show, Cantina restaurant, and updated Star Wars scenes for a mini Star Wars Land at first.

PhotoDave219

I've come across more of Bob Iger's comments on building Star Wars rides, although so far Iger has only talked about building it at Disneyland. You just have to believe that WDW factors in there somehow too however. But what a wasted opportunity to NOT announce anything about this stuff at D23 Expo, especially if announcements on new Disneyland rides are just a "couple of months" away according to Iger.

Here's a quote from the Boston Globe this morning, mentioning the "hints" of Star Wars attractions at D23 Expo's WDI Pavilion...

The hints followed comments by chairman and CEO Robert Iger, who said on a conference call Tuesday that the Burbank, Calif.-based company plans to announce new attractions in Disneyland, the original park in Anaheim opened by the founder of Walt Disney in 1955. Disney acquired ‘‘Star Wars’’ maker Lucasfilm last year for $4.1 billion.

‘‘We’re going to continue to invest in Disneyland,’’ Iger said. ‘‘We’ve got some pretty exciting things that we’ll be announcing over the next couple of months.’’
http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...-attraction/pyipJNRQOVZEDXSQUIF7XP/story.html

So if a Star Wars announcement is coming this fall, and many of these plans have been leaked on Micechat recently anyway, why not use D23 Expo to show something more than wooden crates?!? And I assume the "things" plural that Iger mentioned also include the Door Coaster E Ticket for DCA, aside from Star Wars next door in Tomorrowland. The corporate strategy behind D23 Expo and what it could do for Disney, but what they didn't let it do at least this time, just completely baffles me. What am I missing here??? o_O

People are discussing Star Wars coming soon to CALIFORNIA.

It will come to Florida at some point, I just hope sooner than later. Because Iger isnt talking about Star Wars in Florida publically yet.

PhotoDave219

I also have a new disdain for many of the bloggers that were there. I don't follow any bloggers or sites, except for this and one or two others and very rarely read postings on twitter (I don't and will never have a twitter). But if I was Disney, I would be ashamed to have them at something this large associated with the company. Many waved their press badges and whined if they weren't given immediate attention or not treated like a celebrity. I also think many people here wouldn't know who Walt Disney was if he were still alive and they walked right into him.

Apparently most of them missed Tony Baxer just walking around & chilling yesterday afternoon....

Most of them are there just for the free goodie bag.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I am surprised to see that there really truly were NO announcements at D23...I know they said there would not be any, but kept thinking they would pull something out.
What a shame. I will not be attending D23 again. 2011 was a fiasco...was looking to see how this one went...
now I am sure.
Nothing's really ready to be revealed. The two large projects are still being argued... er...discussed. Two others not so much. Same for a few relatively smaller items too.

GLaDOS

Nothing's really ready to be revealed. The two large projects are still being argued... er...discussed. Two others not so much. Same for a few relatively smaller items too.

At the rate their going, or not going, is the estimated 2018 time frame for openings possibly too generous? Could it be later?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom