D23 Expo Theme Park News and Announcements

HMF

Seriously, I think it is great that you and your son can enjoy the parks together. That is what they are there for.

I do think that 10 days is a bit of OCD overkill when there are plenty of other great things to see and do in SoCal. But everyone is different.
Disneyland was the highlight of my trip to SoCal back in 2006 but it would probably not be as memorable had I not also seen some of the other things in the LA area as well.

Captain Neo

Disneyland was the highlight of my trip to SoCal back in 2006 but it would probably not be as memorable had I not also seen some of the other things in the LA area as well.

The funny thing is Disneyland has dropped in quality by quite a large margin but because it's still at a higher level than WDW people praise it. It's a far cry from the Disneyland of the Pre-1995 days. The 40th. Anniversary was really the park's final hurrah.

The Mom

Premium Member
Mom, just a question here...does that request include everybody? It would be nice if it did.

Yes, it includes everyone. I just wasted a lot of time deleting posts full of insults, snark, etc. and can't be bothered going through all of the rest to find out who started it.

Just let it stop now. There's a whole thread where you can snipe at each other - leave the rest of the forum alone.

Goofyernmost

I know it's not an E ticket, but isn't 7DMT the anchor attraction for FLE?
When all is said and specifically "done" FLE will just be a project that happened within Fantasyland. When complete Fantasyland will have Small World, Philharmagic, Pooh, Peter Pan, 7DMT, Mermaid and the rest. I wouldn't call it the anchor, so to speak, it will just be part of a much larger Fantasyland with much more to do. It isn't two different lands.

RSoxNo1

This was the DISH system. I've got video of it in the link below. The system is primarily used as an Imagineering tool, and it was explained to me that it does have the ability to have the image move with head and eye motion as well. I asked if this could be used in the theme parks at some point and it was explained that it's not easily scalable. I followed up with, "could it be used in a Galaxy Far Far Away" and the Imagineer just smiled and said not anytime soon.

http://www.wdwthemeparks.com/news/2...ust-9-2013-journey-into-imagineering-pavilion

michmousefan

To be fair, everything from doors (coaster) to imagination (pavilion's future) to Star Wars projects and Pandora were right out there under everyone's noses. There just was no substance and no artwork and no announcements ...and that doesn't even include stuff like SDL, the new Rat ride in Paris and Marvel projects.

But toying with your most loyal fans and addicts of the BRAND is just plain dumb.

Sure, the "trip to Pandora" stuff was a bit silly, but the conversations with the Imagineers I had were interesting enough... the Imagineer at the SW "crates" area told me to check for the hints on the boxes. Every one -- Banthas, Rancors, Cantina Band instruments, Podracer and/or Millennium Falcon parts... all point to a Tatooine environment of some type. Plus the "Orange Harvest" reference was a nice touch for those of us who were actually reading about Blue Harvest in Starlog magazine back in the early 80's. Chatting with Imagineers was the best part of the Expo for me, thought they were fairly forthcoming -- with the exception of the poor guys who had to work the MagicBand area; they didn't have much to say beyond the company talking points.

The Tomorrowland exhibit was also well done. Didn't have time to complete the elaborate scavenger hunt that took place in both the Expo and in Disneyland Park, though.

As for the rest of the Expo -- I really enjoyed it. The Animation and Live Action presentations had some fun nuggets to share; both The Good Dinosaur and Inside Out look very promising, as does Zootopia. If elements from Inside Out make their way into the re-do of Imagination -- there's definite potential for an attraction worthy of the first tenants of that pavilion.

I would have liked to have heard more about the SW plans, but that didn't bug me too much; JJ Abrams likes to keep things close to the vest. So be it.

Talk about icing on the cake, after the expo we got to play in the parks... and first time for me at DCA. Loved it. Had a fantastic meal at Carthay, too.

alphac2005

The funny thing is Disneyland has dropped in quality by quite a large margin but because it's still at a higher level than WDW people praise it. It's a far cry from the Disneyland of the Pre-1995 days. The 40th. Anniversary was really the park's final hurrah.

Great point. My mother was in Southern California last month and visited Disneyland for a few days. She talked about how wonderful the park looked and what a mess it is in Florida. So, we start going through all of these pictures that she took and, for example, the it's a small world's clock marquee in the front was nearly dirt black and absolutely filthy. When I last checked, when quality won out at any and all Disney properties, no marquee would ever look like that.

It's the flip of the late 90's, early 00's when Disneyland was in shambles and WDW look fantastic in comparison while WDW was already in a downward decline that has not stopped.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom