D23 Expo Theme Park News and Announcements

TP2000

To be fair, everything from doors (coaster) to imagination (pavilion's future) to Star Wars projects and Pandora were right out there under everyone's noses. There just was no substance and no artwork and no announcements ...

True. I just got back from my trip to the D23 Expo, where I spent all of 60 minutes browsing the exhibit floor, with 35 of those minutes spent in the big WDI Pavilion. The clever pre-show at the WDI Pavilion, while not as epic or moving as '11 or '09, was still very well done and offered hints on the Door Coaster for DCA. The 45 to 75 second mark in this video holds the key to those new doors.

The MagicBand exhibit was splashy and sleek looking, but dumb and vapid. Which might sum up the entire MagicBand concept anyway.

The references about Avatar were painful to look at. Just empty fluff about absolutely nothing, and only served as a reminder that they probably shouldn't have even announced it two years ago because it hasn't impressed anyone or created any real buzz. If they really need to do AvatarLand for whatever reason, when they are two months away from the bulldozers is when they should have announced it. What was the point of announcing it back in 2011? Perhaps one of Disney's biggest blunders of the decade.

Last edited:

Captain Neo

To be fair, everything from doors (coaster) to imagination (pavilion's future) to Star Wars projects and Pandora were right out there under everyone's noses. There just was no substance and no artwork and no announcements ...and that doesn't even include stuff like SDL, the new Rat ride in Paris and Marvel projects.

But toying with your most loyal fans and addicts of the BRAND is just plain dumb.

Where exactly was the monsters inc stuff? The boxes were obvious for star wars and the pandora thing, dreamfinder and all the journey into imagination references and Bob Igers comments strongly hinted at Imagination but I didnt really see or notice any acknowledgement of Monsters Inc.

Goofyernmost

Like! (Except for the killed people part, true but sad)
Maybe so, but people tend to take the warnings a lot more serious don't they. Those deaths were unfortunate, but they were all traced to preexisting conditions. Neither Disney nor themselves had any reason to think that anything bad would happen. But, still, there is no end to the demand for thrill rides. What's more thrilling than a ride that has killed before. It is the ultimate in trill rides. :jawdrop:

GLaDOS

The Dragon Attack and whomping willow is literally a slow AA figure with lights on it in a pitch black room. There isn't really alot of theming around it. The Great Hall is not half real lmao its just themed borders around the screen.

The dragon is perched on the bridge structure. No worse than the Yeti scene in EE. The Willow has rockwork around it and a smashed enchanted bench at its base.

WDW1974

Harry Potter still has way too many video screen projections for my taste. Where are the actual themed environments with audio animatronics? There are like 2 real scenes in the ride and the rest is just staring at blurry dark screens.

They aren't blurry
any longer. They are crystal clear, and I won't argue the sets or environments. Potter is regarded by most in the industry as the best attraction in O-Town (many feel the world).

PhotoDave219

While BOG may have those high rankings, its not the end-all, be all of the Disney Dining letalone dining on property or dining in Orlando.

I found it loud - far louder than any signature dining restaurant or any restaurant that charges that much per entree. It had an almost cafeteria like feeling.

I found them unable to find medium rare for a steak. I'm one of those picky people that insists on a warm red center being exactly that. I found them unable to serve hot fries with my steak. I'm one of those picky people that insists on hot food when paying more than $40/entree.

I felt rushed both times I ate there. I found the cut of the meat significantly better and cooked properly at Citricos, Yachtsman and The Wave, not to mention Shula's.

I feel I get better for my money elsewhere on disney property and off property.

It was pretty... but is not my cup of tea for anything resembling fine dining.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nemo14

We ate there once and vowed never again. My husband's steak was ice cold, and I thought the place was noisy and way over-priced. It was neat to see inside, but once was far more than enough.

PhotoDave219

Too much? Nope... How many people with pre-existing conditions have died from riding FJ? None... Now compare that to how many people have died from riding Mission Space... It isn't too much... it is a sad but true fact...

Well Im pretty sure I could be the first on FJ but I'd much rather skip the ride and continue living thankyouverymuch.....

Seriously, thats one very violent ride.

Captain Chaos

Well Im pretty sure I could be the first on FJ but I'd much rather skip the ride and continue living thankyouverymuch.....

We don't want you to be a statistic Dave... Who else will liven this place up when the asylum is taken over by the inmates? LOL...

TalkingHead

Wait, are you implying that FJ could kill you?

Talk about hyperbole. It's as likely to kill you as Star Tours is.

WeLComeHomE OKW

His voice is helpful to our community. If '74 goes, I'm sure lots would continue to follow his wonderful posts, including me. He speaks the truth, unlike a lot of people here, who are in complete denial.
Sure, I agree that unique perspectives are important. I think the truth is a very subjective topic and I think the notion that you can go from 100% in 0% in no time flat is more ridiculous than you are suggesting here.

DizFiz

Well I was not disappointed with the Expo as I never had high hopes of major park related announcements.... besides that I from the coverage posted online it looked like a great Expo. I can't wait for the release of the movies that were shown. I will have a good weeks worth of wonderful videos posted to watch. If all my cards line up just right for once I hope to attend the 2015 expo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom