Changes at DTD

CaptainMichael

sorry to sort of break what you guys are discussing, but does anyone know why the big Pleasure Island sign on top of mannequins has been off the last 2 nights?

Well, this is actually relevant to DTD, back to topic!

They should have turned the light off permanently when they closed the clubs. Right now, it and entrance arches are false advertisement. There is no pleasure there anymore in every sense of the word.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Well, this is actually relevant to DTD, back to topic!

They should have turned the light off permanently when they closed the clubs. Right now, it and entrance arches are false advertisement. There is no pleasure there anymore in every sense of the word.

yeah, I agree with you, and there were rumblings a while ago that DTD would simply become DTD and get rid of the individual references. However, I think the contract terms of the stores on the island indicate they have to be on Pleasure Island. Last time the sign was out, it was out for a week due to some major circuit board failure. I asked around but no one seems to know(or won't tell us) why it's out right now.

I agree they should get rid of all references because there is no pleasure anymore, but it doesn't make sense for them to turn out the big one before doing the little ones. I guess time will tell

Figment1986

yeah, I agree with you, and there were rumblings a while ago that DTD would simply become DTD and get rid of the individual references. However, I think the contract terms of the stores on the island indicate they have to be on Pleasure Island. Last time the sign was out, it was out for a week due to some major circuit board failure. I asked around but no one seems to know(or won't tell us) why it's out right now.

I agree they should get rid of all references because there is no pleasure anymore, but it doesn't make sense for them to turn out the big one before doing the little ones. I guess time will tell

Perhaps the circuit board for the sign is in the mannequins building.. and someone turned it off when they were doing work :shrug:

Thrill Seeker

I'm hoping that DTD, more specifically PI, will get the most attention this year besides the already announced major projects. DTD certainly needs it.

CaptainMichael

picture.php

:lookaroun

NewfieFan

Legoland will be an interesting addition, but is unlikely to draw many crowds away from Disney or Universal. I'd like to go when it opens...

I'm on my 4th trip (well, #4 is coming up in March) to WDW and I haven't left property yet. Haven't felt the need to. Disney does a good job at taking my money and convincing me to stay on property. I don't rent a car... which also means I don't have to deal with boosters and car seats (I still have young children). I haven't had the desire to go to Universal yet (that may change as the kids get a little older). SeaWorld is somewhat of a draw for me but I haven't wanted to spend the money yet to make a day trip out there.

But...

I would go to Legoland. I would rent a car... take a shuttle... hire a cab... whatever! Legoland would be a HUGE draw for my family. So Disney will lose us for a day. Sure they still have our money from park tickets and hotel but they're going to lose our food and souvenir budget for a day! And of course we may cut back on other areas to make up for the day trip over to Legoland!

Just sayin'

Back on topic...

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Legolands success will be relative, looking at figures for their existing parks they are going to be significant, but not in comparison with existing attractions.

So it depends on how you dress up your expectations.

Brian Noble

looking at figures for their existing parks they are going to be significant
And that's probably all they need to be. Guesstimating from 2007's attendance, plus reported increases, Legoland CA draws about 1.8M give or take---and it's open at least five days a week, year-round. Yet, that park is considered a wild success by the company. My intuition is that the capital expenditures for a legoland-style park are lower than a "big rides" park, and so they don't require as large an attendance/revenue base to be profitable.

Given that Cypress Gardens pulled 1.4M guests in Buescher's first year operating it, I'm guessing they won't have any problems to get up to CA-level attendance rather quickly given the added name recognition.

sknydave

They probably sell lego stuff by the ton and they are keeping all the profit unlike when the stuff sells at walmart or toys r us, etc

sittle

They probably sell lego stuff by the ton and they are keeping all the profit unlike when the stuff sells at walmart or toys r us, etc

I couldn't blame them... In fact, if more manufacturers would actually sell their products direct to the customer (like Lego) they could skip the mega conglomerates, not have to pay for as much shelf space in the actual stores, and still turn a tidy profit.

Lego has a good store concept, especially the giant lego stores in different urban centres... They create their own displays and they are interchangeable and unique...

I'd rather buy products direct from the customer then head out to a WalMart, Sears, Target etc... etc... I'd rather go to a Lego store any day of the week than a Walmart... I love the Lego store at downtown Disney, I'd like to go and see this Legoland, perhaps someday...

It would have been neat to see a closer partnership between Disney and Lego, but that would probably never happen...

.... *sigh*... I just want AC back at PI... I don't care what the voices in JT's head say, I think this new PI/DTD revamping sucks on ice...

scpergj

Interesting about Legoland possibly being built central Florida.

My family usually has WDW AP's every other year, so Disney wouldn't see much of a drop in our attendance, but we would visit Legoland at least once. When I met my wife, I had Lego sets all around my apartment, kind of like how some people have flowers or small figurines. She married me anyway....

Our son is 12 now, but still builds with his Lego, and really wants to go to Legoland in California - but if there is one closer, it would be so much easier! Our daughter is 8, and also builds Lego, she would probably like Legoland, too.

Don't think it would affect our Disney attendance, but add us to people that would definitly visit Legoland!

jt04

I couldn't blame them... In fact, if more manufacturers would actually sell their products direct to the customer (like Lego) they could skip the mega conglomerates, not have to pay for as much shelf space in the actual stores, and still turn a tidy profit.

Lego has a good store concept, especially the giant lego stores in different urban centres... They create their own displays and they are interchangeable and unique...

I'd rather buy products direct from the customer then head out to a WalMart, Sears, Target etc... etc... I'd rather go to a Lego store any day of the week than a Walmart... I love the Lego store at downtown Disney, I'd like to go and see this Legoland, perhaps someday...

It would have been neat to see a closer partnership between Disney and Lego, but that would probably never happen...

.... *sigh*... I just want AC back at PI... I don't care what the voices in JT's head say, I think this new PI/DTD revamping sucks on ice...

Ummm, that might be because the new DTD "revamping" has not happened yet. Legoland is going to motivate some folks. I expect the "family friendly" business model I have advocated for has now moved to the top of the list.

Thinking or hoping the AC might return is just (for lack of a better word) crazy, man. :lookaroun Ignore the voices. :lol::p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom