Changes at DTD

jt04

That's opposite of what they should be doing. FLE takes care of that miserable, yet rich segment.

Ohhhhh, I'm sorry, that's the wrong answer. The actual answer is that Disney will use new additions at DTD to grab locals who might otherwise head off to Legoland. And to provide another option for out-of-state visitors.

Expect things like a push to upgrade and sell Disney Quest, more shopping options to draw kids (Muppets, Marvel stores?) and smaller attractions like the balloon ride.

IMO.

EPCOT Explorer

Ohhhhh, I'm sorry, that's the wrong answer. The actual answer is that Disney will use new additions at DTD to grab locals who might otherwise head off to Legoland. And to provide another option for out-of-state visitors.

Expect things like a push to upgrade and sell Disney Quest, more shopping options to draw kids (Muppets, Marvel stores?) and smaller attractions like the balloon ride.

IMO.

Bold New Vision! There it is!

:hurl:

jt04

Bold New Vision! There it is!

:hurl:

You have to admit the style of the old record store would be a great venue for a Marvel store. The amazing entrance and large billboards on the outside would be perfect for massive classic comic book covers.

Not that that is what they will do. I wouldn't mind an ESPNZone.

jt04

You do realize that ESPNZone appeals en masse to only 2 demos: Single 20/30 males, and all married males.

And only 1 of those 2 demos would be allowed to go.

:lol:

I went to the one in Denver and that wasn't the case. ESPNZones are more family oriented than you would think. They aren't "sports bars" per se.

KevinYee

And I can find a web based blog where the poster beleives Elvis shot JFK while riding Shergar before returning to their Volcano base on Atlantis.

Maybe he hasnt read the financial pages. :shrug:

In the case of this particular Legoland story, I was aware of the Blackstone legacy (they seldom build up parks) and their exploration of new directions, but I was advancing an argument for why they would be smart to go the other direction, and actually take on Disney in a full-scale way. And I still think that if they did so, it could have a significant impact on Disney's bottom line.

There's a flexpass now, but it lasts too long (14 days) and costs too much. Bring the cost and the duration down, add Legoland, add an equivalent to DME, and you've got a real fight on your hands. "Destination Disney" could be rivaled by "Destination Blackstone"... if they wanted to go that way.

Edit: had to look up "Shergar"... I must be slipping! I like to stay current on cultural touchstones but had no clue on this one.

EPCOT Explorer

In the case of this particular Legoland story, I was aware of the Blackstone legacy (they seldom build up parks) and their exploration of new directions, but I was advancing an argument for why they would be smart to go the other direction, and actually take on Disney in a full-scale way. And I still think that if they did so, it could have a significant impact on Disney's bottom line.

There's a flexpass now, but it lasts too long (14 days) and costs too much. Bring the cost and the duration down, add Legoland, add an equivalent to DME, and you've got a real fight on your hands. "Destination Disney" could be rivaled by "Destination Blackstone"... if they wanted to go that way.

Edit: had to look up "Shergar"... I must be slipping! I like to stay current on cultural touchstones but had no clue on this one.
Do you really expect them to do something like that? Although it's very possible, that kind of investment has be be backed up by constant quality and a very "high end" park. As much as Legoland is great, and all, I don't see that, seeing how the Cali one is described.

However, the Florida Park might be different.

AndrewRnR

Legoland won't be owned by Blackstone by the time it opens up so I don't see the point of comparing it with Blackstone's past or how it helps Blackstone's fight against Disney.

SirGoofy

Do you really expect them to do something like that? Although it's very possible, that kind of investment has be be backed up by constant quality and a very "high end" park. As much as Legoland is great, and all, I don't see that, seeing how the Cali one is described.

However, the Florida Park might be different.

Yea, I see them doing that. And while Legoland may not be considered "Disney quality", it certainly is a quality park, and will draw visitors, not to mention having US, IoA, SW, and BGT on the ticket? You've got MORE parks than Disney, and quality ones at that. It would be an incredible undertaking, and I think would put a fairly sizable dent in the mouse.

EPCOT Explorer

Yea, I see them doing that. And while Legoland may not be considered "Disney quality", it certainly is a quality park, and will draw visitors, not to mention having US, IoA, SW, and BGT on the ticket? You've got MORE parks than Disney, and quality ones at that. It would be an incredible undertaking, and I think would put a fairly sizable dent in the mouse.

If that is the case, then by all means, dent away! :D

And Disney, respond in turn, please. :lol:

jt04

Legoland won't be owned by Blackstone by the time it opens up so I don't see the point of comparing it with Blackstone's past or how it helps Blackstone's fight against Disney.

Could you link to your source. Because I think it may be the exact opposite.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Could you link to your source. Because I think it may be the exact opposite.

I think thats his point, people have expressed opinion and speculation based on their own perspective rather than established fact.

The multi ticket covering the non Disney parks is currently £50 more than a Universal only ticket, now that to me is hardly a show stopping price difference, so why doesnt that have the Mouse Poohing its pants already.

DisneyMusician2

I think thats his point, people have expressed opinion and speculation based on their own perspective rather than established fact.

The multi ticket covering the non Disney parks is currently £50 more than a Universal only ticket, now that to me is hardly a show stopping price difference, so why doesnt that have the Mouse Poohing its pants already.

Let's face it, the people who come down to Disney are coming down FOR DISNEY. As much of a discriminating audience as we are, many in the world are not. Disney is a brand name, and it draws all by itself.

And Disney does a better job than any of the other parks mentioned at keeping you trapped on the property, or at least making it 8 times as inconvenient to leave as to stay.

The yearly attendance figures can attest to that fact that Disney isn't real worried about it.

I'm not bashing other parks, as I frequently visit them on trips down. I'm just pointing out that until attendance figures drastically change Disney corporate has no reason to react.

jt04

Let's face it, the people who come down to Disney are coming down FOR DISNEY. As much of a discriminating audience as we are, many in the world are not. Disney is a brand name, and it draws all by itself.

And Disney does a better job than any of the other parks mentioned at keeping you trapped on the property, or at least making it 8 times as inconvenient to leave as to stay.

The yearly attendance figures can attest to that fact that Disney isn't real worried about it.

I'm not bashing other parks, as I frequently visit them on trips down. I'm just pointing out that until attendance figures drastically change Disney corporate has no reason to react.

If I may...

It seems to me TWWoHP, Legoland, and major adds coming to Sea World and Busch Gardens changes the paradigm. Disney has never faced this many quality new attractions occuring all at once. It is a very real challange to WDW's dominence and I believe the mouse will respond with more than the FLE and RFID. I'm not even convinced the FLE is the potter swatter. I think it is the Lego swatter. It's possible we haven't seen the potter swatter yet.:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom