Changes at DTD

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
What is this about Universal and the Blackstone parks being a "family?" Blackstone only owns half of Universal. These parks are still competitors and treated as such. In fact, I've heard rumblings that Blackstone intends to sell their stake in Universal in the not-too-distant future. They might add a Legoland to the Flex Pass, but that's it. This is not a consolidated competitor to Disney.

It is, youve just missed the confirmation from the voices in Jts head confirming it.

CaptainMichael

What is this about Universal and the Blackstone parks being a "family?" Blackstone only owns half of Universal. These parks are still competitors and treated as such. In fact, I've heard rumblings that Blackstone intends to sell their stake in Universal in the not-too-distant future. They might add a Legoland to the Flex Pass, but that's it. This is not a consolidated competitor to Disney.

But it's about as much of a "consolidated competitor" Disney will ever have. I like what they are/could be doing.

SMRT-1

Either the link is broken, or the article got pulled.

http://www.newschief.com/article/20100120/NEWS/1205026

What will the new Gardens be? We'll find out Thursday

Published: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 at 4:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 at 2:09 a.m.

( page all of 2 )

Anyone who cares at all about Cypress Gardens' importance to Winter Haven and its impact on the local economy had to be thrilled with the news that "Florida's first theme park" has a willing new buyer.

Many weeks of speculation had centered on Merlin Entertainments Group, the operator of Legoland California and other amusement parks around the world, as the company with the most interest in Cypress Gardens, which has been closed for almost four months now.

That speculation turned out to be right when county and city officials on Friday finally addressed Merlin Entertainments' purchase of the park. While they didn't go into any details about the transaction or plans for the park, those officials no longer could deny something was going on; the News Chief and other media outlets had discovered and quickly published reports about public legal documents that reassigned certain rights to Cypress Gardens from Land South Adventures LLC to Merlin Entertainments Group Florida LLC.

Land South Adventures, of course, is the Cypress Gardens operating company that Lakeland real estate investors Brian Philpot and Rob Harper set up after buying the park for $16.9 million in a September 2007 bankruptcy auction.

Now, with the new ownership of Cypress Gardens settled, the new speculation becomes: What does Merlin Entertainments Group have in store for the 74-year-old local treasure?

While answers to that and other questions are expected during a Thursday morning news conference at the Gardens, Winter Haven Mayor Jeff Potter has already given us a hint of things to come.

"The plan is a two-year development, $150 million to turn it into Legoland," the mayor said Friday.

Let's put some trust in the new owners that if they do turn Cypress Gardens into a "Legoland East," they're at least wise enough to keep Cypress Gardens in the name somehow. It's a brand that's famous around the world, despite the park's recent struggles and many ownership changes since the founding ________ Pope family relinquished control in 1985.

Does "Legoland at Cypress Gardens" suit anyone?

And though it advertises itself as a family park, Legoland California immediately brings to mind children as its niche market. For many years, Cypress Gardens has been known mostly as a park for adults - seniors in particular - despite major recent investments in thrill rides and addition of the Splash Island Waterpark. (Does Splash Island stay or go?). We wonder how the new ownership will reconcile those two distinct target audiences.

From what we've heard, a quick reopening of Cypress Gardens - or whatever it will be called - isn't in the cards. Don't be surprised to find out Thursday that the park will be closed for at least a year for major remodeling and other improvements. We get the sense that Merlin Entertainments Group doesn't want to open the park to guests prematurely and have it be a work in progress for months on end.

And with an obligation to the Polk County government, the owner of the theme park's original 30 acres, to keep the botanical gardens colorful, lush and manicured to ________ and Julie Pope's standards, a lot of landscaping work lies ahead - particularly after last week's freezing weather.

We're looking forward to finding out Thursday at the Magnolia Mansion what's in the works for Cypress Gardens and just how soon folks can be put to work there.

Our hope is that soon the park will be as vibrant as it was in its heyday, that it will draw visitors from all around the world to Winter Haven, and that it will be a steady employer and consistent contributor to the local economy.

SMRT-1

Cypress Gardens announcement may draw state officials

http://www.newschief.com/article/20100119/NEWS/1195013

http://data.ad.yieldmanager.net/cli...icle/20100119/NEWS/1195013?p=all&tc=pgall, Cypress Gardens announcement may draw state officials

By Charles Gonzalez
News Chief staff

Published: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 at 4:01 a.m.
Last Modified: Tuesday, January 19, 2010 at 2:13 a.m.
( page all of 2 )
WINTER HAVEN - Cypress Gardens has a press conference set for Thursday to make a big announcement.

The historic theme park in Winter Haven has been purchased by Merlin Entertainments Group, the operator of Legoland of California and the second-largest attractions company worldwide. Confirmation of the sale came Friday after public Polk County legal documents showed a reassignment of rights to Cypress Gardens from Land South Adventures LLC to Merlin Entertainments Group Florida LLC.
A purchase price was not disclosed as of Friday.
The press conference is scheduled for 10:30 a.m., at the Cypress Gardens mansion, and multiple high-ranking Florida government officials are rumored to be attending the event. A call to Gov. Crist's office by the News Chief was not returned, but he is one official who could make an appearance at the press conference.
"I can't confirm who will be in attendance on Thursday," Polk Tourism and Sports Marketing Director Mark Jackson said.
According to two legal documents posted Tuesday to the public records section of the Polk County Clerk of Courts Web site, the land lease and development rights to Cypress Gardens were assigned to Merlin Entertainments Group from Land South Adventures the first week of January.
The 74-year-old Cypress Gardens, known as the first theme park in Florida, has changed hands several times since the founding Pope family sold it in 1985. Most recently, the Mulberry-based Land South Holdings LLC bought the park at a bankruptcy auction in 2007 for $16.9 million. Its former owner, the Adventure Parks Group, had filed for Chapter 11 protection, partly because of damage wrought in the 2004 hurricanes.
The park closed for refurbishing in fall 2008 before re-opening in March 2009. It closed about seven months later, and Land South Holdings announced its search for a buyer.

hack2112

You know what, that might be the one I'm thinking of. Whichever the wooden coaster is. Painful.
Yup, that's the one. That dueling wooden is the second most painful ride I have ever ridden. First place goes to the last time I rode the Dania Beach Hurricane. Ouch.

jt04

Source please.

jt04

And I can find a web based blog where the poster beleives Elvis shot JFK while riding Shergar before returning to their Volcano base on Atlantis.

Maybe he hasnt read the financial pages. :shrug:

He has connections. He is a professional in the Orlando community. He has credibility and he seems to value his reputation. I don't always agree with him, but I don't think he would have written the posting if he hadn't sourced it. I think you would find that Lee, WDW74 and others here will vouch for him.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Im sure hes a top notch guy, whos kind to women and animals and whose mum loves him. However I have read direct quotes from the investors.

No doubt as a fan like yourself he is posting in the hope that the potential for competition shakes WDW from its malaise, rather than any concrete buisness plan. Besides a consolidated ticket already exists, what aside from ticketing can locations so physicaly removed from each other offer?

Keepin it real

BRRAAAPPPPP! respect.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Gov. Crist to attend Cypress Gardens / Legoland news conference
News Chief staff report

Published: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 at 11:15 a.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 at 11:15 a.m.

WINTER HAVEN - Gov. Charlie Crist will be among the special guests in attendance Thursday when Merlin Entertainments Group Florida reveals its investment plans for Cypress Gardens and its intention to transform it into a Legoland amusement park.

News that Merlin had purchased the historic theme park from Lakeland real estate investors Rob Harper and Brian Philpot broke Friday.

During Wednesday morning's Polk County Commission meeting, Commissioner Randy Wilkinson congratulated Winter Haven for getting "Legoland."

An e-mailed memo to the commissioner states that Cypress Gardens will become the fifth Legoland park operated by Merlin Entertainments Group worldwide and the second Legoland in the United States. The other U.S. Legoland is in Carlsbad, Calif.

Thursday's press conference in Cypress Gardens' Magnolia Mansion will begin at 10:30 a.m.

According to a news release from Merlin Entertainments Group, the speakers for the news conference will include Crist and Nick Varney, the chief executive officer of Merlin Entertainments.

Congressman Adam Putnam of Bartow, state Sen. JD Alexander and Florida Attractions Association Executive Director Robert Skrob also are among also are among the invited guests for the news conference.

Merlin Entertainments Group is the second largest attractions company in the world. Only the Walt Disney Company is ahead of it.

http://www.newschief.com/article/20...tend-Cypress-Gardens-Legoland-news-conference

Pluto22

Cypress Gardens was a pain in the butt to get to anyways. A legoland might make a nice stop over on the way to Busch but if you're looking to just do orlando attractions I don't see many people going out of their way to get to it. If people wanted to drive to Winter Haven in the first place the Cypress Gardens wouldn't have closed down.

Mouse Detective

If people wanted to drive to Winter Haven in the first place, the Cypress Gardens wouldn't have closed down.

Cypress Gardens didn't have enough to draw people. For the target market, a Legoland definitely does! The owners of Cypress Gardens didn't have the funding for serious advertising. The new owners of Legoland do.

Thrill Seeker

Legoland will be an interesting addition, but is unlikely to draw many crowds away from Disney or Universal. I'd like to go when it opens...

jt04

Legoland will be an interesting addition, but is unlikely to draw many crowds away from Disney or Universal. I'd like to go when it opens...

It will do incredibly well especially amongst locals and is ideally located between two major and growing cities.

Legoland will be a success unlike anything Cypress Gardens has ever seen. Prepare to be suprised by how well it does.

Thrill Seeker

I'd actually like to see Legoland do well. I've seen footage from the California one and it's pretty cool. Hopefully ours will be just as cool, if not cooler...

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
sorry to sort of break what you guys are discussing, but does anyone know why the big Pleasure Island sign on top of mannequins has been off the last 2 nights?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom