Changes at DTD

Rob562

If you find a date, let me know, would love to try to crash... :animwink:

But I've heard from two solid sources now that the stuff ships in October...with no reservations being taken past end of September, I wonder if your friend got their lines crossed.

Nope, no crossed lines. I'm the one who posted about going, and it's a private event after Congaloosh's night in the AC, but still in September.

And sorry, but I doubt you'd be able to crash the party. :)

-Rob

jt04

Interesting. I got the impression they were pretty gung-ho to get a move on this...and it seems odd to wait until the start of the next busy Summer season to undertake what sounds like a pretty massive effort. But i've heard nothing "official" on the date, so I defer to the blog poster.

I'm not sure "behind" Motion is different from what I heard...I assume it would still be on the waterfront (it is a lighthouse), so in the general vicinity where the path will curve there.

Sad to see Ad Club go, but a blind man could have seen this coming once they announced the artifacts were leaving. You just can't use those buildings for anything else, they are too uniquely designed. This will leave a pretty steep drop-off by the side of the walkway, tho; remember you entered both of those clubs on the second floor.

I'd be suprised if stuff doesn't start happening around the beginning of October. So if indeed Motion/BC/AC/BET are removed it really will open up the views. I am extremely pleased with this idea and the possibilities are really interesting.

wdwfan100

Was there ever a press release on the changes coming as was indicated in the earlier posts? If so could someone put a link up please, I have missed it entirely. Thanks.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Was there ever a press release on the changes coming as was indicated in the earlier posts? If so could someone put a link up please, I have missed it entirely. Thanks.
no, the only press release was for the new VP of DTD.

As for hte ideas, I personally don't care about that side of the island. Motion and Soundstage can go and I didn't visit AC much anyway. CW, 8-trax, and mannequins on the other hand, I will be very upset when the buildings go. It seems as though right now they are safe

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
manager on the island reports hearing 2 weeks ago that 2 clubs are to reopen. Throw in news that mannequins/8-trax is staying and you do have to wonder. Is there still hope?

overdrive

The nightclub era is gone. 2 clubs would be more than enough.

Yes because DTD has been doing so well without the clubs. Its become pathetic without the clubs, closing the clubs started DTD slipping down a slippery slope. I think we have yet to see all the carnage that closing the clubs will create. Im sure it won't be long and we will hear about another business closing up shop in DTD. Such poor management and forsight.

Hrudey3032

Yes because DTD has been doing so well without the clubs. Its become pathetic without the clubs, closing the clubs started DTD slipping down a slippery slope. I think we have yet to see all the carnage that closing the clubs will create. Im sure it won't be long and we will hear about another business closing up shop in DTD. Such poor management and forsight.

Not that the poor economy has any affect though right? :shrug:

overdrive

[/B]

Exactly, thats why management had such poor foresight, everyone knew things were going to get rocky with the economy but they went ahead and shut everything down gambling that third party vendors would save them. They should have waited to see where the economy was going and closed things a piece at a time.

Everyone knew the economy was heading for a rough patch. Closing the clubs added insult to injury and made things worse than just a down economy. There is alot less traffic coming into the stores, and every business that shuts down causes even more people to go spend money somewhere else. Down the slope it goes.

The economy is just the same at city walk, I don't see empty store fronts and the clubs are thriving. Last time I was there it was packed and DTD was not. City walk is teaming with life and DTD is a ghost town.

trr1

its because they closed everything on pleasure Island that the economy went bad

just my demented 2 cents

Figment1986

...The economy is just the same at city walk, I don't see empty store fronts and the clubs are thriving. Last time I was there it was packed and DTD was not. City walk is teaming with life and DTD is a ghost town.

true, though City Walk also has the advantage of foot traffic heading to and from the universal parks while without the clubs DTD does not have foot traffic from any parks outside of disney quest. if you were opening a store what would look better for a business model... the area with foot traffic and more potential customers...

71jason

[/B]

Even in the best of times, the idea that six or eight high-end restaurants were going to set up shop in the former PI was always insane. The plan shows a lack of understanding of Disney's core audience and the 20 years of marketing put into the concept of "Pleasure Island" (which still draws people looking for clubs every night, almost a year after they all closed).

But I think there can be little doubt that the closing of PI and the economy were dual blows to many of the remaining DTD tenants.

71jason

true, though City Walk also has the advantage of foot traffic heading to and from the universal parks while without the clubs DTD does not have foot traffic from any parks outside of disney quest. if you were opening a store what would look better for a business model... the area with foot traffic and more potential customers...

Two things: first, Universal park guests and CityWalk guests are largely two separate groups. The parks close hours before CW gets going.

Second, in its heyday, PI was packed even without foot traffic. This ytear, even when the rest of the area is dead, T-Rex still has a line. If you have something consumers want, they'll find you. Right now, DTD seems to have very little of interest (other than on Saturday nights, when new arrivals use it as a time-killer because they don't want to waste a park ticket on half a day).

Figment1986

Two things: first, Universal park guests and CityWalk guests are largely two separate groups. The parks close hours before CW gets going.

Second, in its heyday, PI was packed even without foot traffic. This ytear, even when the rest of the area is dead, T-Rex still has a line. If you have something consumers want, they'll find you. Right now, DTD seems to have very little of interest (other than on Saturday nights, when new arrivals use it as a time-killer because they don't want to waste a park ticket on half a day).

In it's heyday PI was the main source of foot traffic for DTD in the evening... today there is Disney Quest, random stores that are still open, and of corse cirq.... City walk has it's few clubs, select stores, select big name restaurants, and of course the theme parks... During Mardis gras they offered free admission into a club of your choice after the concert... They now have fast food restaurants at Citywalk and it;s bringing people there to see whats going on, the AMC movie theater even has Rocky horror Picture Show LIVE once a month... and ind you, they charge for parking at Citywalk into the evening now because of increased traffic.

WDW1974

I partly disagree. CityWalk certainly benefits from lots of local traffic and convention traffic ... but plenty of the guests who walk through it on their way to UNI and IOA end their days at the restaurants, shops and clubs of CW.

Others leave and come back.

Well, there was no such thing as foot traffic as you paid to get into the entire complex ... so either it was busy or it wasn't.

DD was often packed last month when I was there, but most of the traffic was either in the old marketplace area or at AMC ... PI was a ghosttown was much of Westside.

It's like any other dying mall in the country ... the more places that close, the more depressing the vibe gets, the fewer people walk through, which leads to more places closing etc ...

The one new place -- Paradiso 37 -- didn't seem to ever have more than a handful of people in it.

Thunder Kz

Today my wife and I ate at Paradiso 37, which is becoming one of our favorites at the World. Service there has been A+ so far, great menu and atmosphere, and today was no exception.

During our lunch, our waiter brought up the status of PI. He advised us that there was a meeting today (8/22), and he learned that 3 clubs would very likely be returning as early as October: Mannequins, 8 Trax, and AC. In all candor, he said that he doesn't count on anything until it's confirmed 100%, but he said that this was definitely more than speculation or rumor.

Please don't shoot the messenger. I too have read posts from people who heard something at a PI "meeting," which I've taken with huge suspicion. However, this is exciting news to hear today, and I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything more about this?

DisneyMusician2

I am just skeptical about management admitting it was a mistake to close the clubs that easily. If clubs do return, it makes little sense to return them with their original names or themes.

Just highlights a bad decision.

And where in this meeting is AC???

Thelazer

I dunno. So far, no rumblings yet and there would be ALOT of work needed in a couple of those clubs to get it ready to open by Oct. Not saying it can't be done, but it would be quite a push.

Mr.EPCOT

PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! Puh-puh-puh-PLEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

overdrive

Today my wife and I ate at Paradiso 37, which is becoming one of our favorites at the World. Service there has been A+ so far, great menu and atmosphere, and today was no exception.

During our lunch, our waiter brought up the status of PI. He advised us that there was a meeting today (8/22), and he learned that 3 clubs would very likely be returning as early as October: Mannequins, 8 Trax, and AC. In all candor, he said that he doesn't count on anything until it's confirmed 100%, but he said that this was definitely more than speculation or rumor.

Please don't shoot the messenger. I too have read posts from people who heard something at a PI "meeting," which I've taken with huge suspicion. However, this is exciting news to hear today, and I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything more about this?

That would be big news if all three would reopen, I know many people who will be overjoyed if AC opens again. Would be nice to get some confirmation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom