Changes at DTD

NMBC1993

....and Ghirardellis, but that is it.........

......and maybe Wolfgangs but that is all I need....

.....oh and maybe that balloon ride thing but thats all....

.....and the lego store and that HoB place but nothing more.....

.....oh and maybe the Gloria Estefan restaurant and Planet Hollywood but that is it..... and......

Idk I have to agree with zulemara it's been almost a year since PI closed and I have spent a total of $20 at DTD. I went to three movies at AMC and bought 1 sandwich at Earl. Oh well I guess I can look at this like a Disney stimulus package, with all this money I've saved I have been able to buy a PS3....but still not as good as a trip to AC.

jt04

Idk I have to agree with zulemara it's been almost a year since PI closed and I have spent a total of $20 at DTD. I went to three movies at AMC and bought 1 sandwich at Earl. Oh well I guess I can look at this like a Disney stimulus package, with all this money I've saved I have been able to buy a PS3....but still not as good as a trip to AC.

I still don't know why all the AC folks/fans don't create something different but similar off site. Other dinner theater interactive type shows have done well so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I'm just glad PI is getting turned into something new and improved. IMHO.

NMBC1993

I still don't know why all the AC folks/fans don't create something different but similar off site. Other dinner theater interactive type shows have done well so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I think it would be because they could create something like AC but it wouldn't be the same thing. We all have fond memories of the club that could never be re-created. It would be like Disney closing down Haunted Mansion then Universal builds their own type of ride and its suppose to be just as good.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Someone already did. It is called Jekel and Hyde in New York and from my understanding Disney sued them for their efforts. If someone attempted to open an AC clone in Orlando the Disney lawyers would attack the place like starving wolves.

jt04

Someone already did. It is called Jekel and Hyde in New York and from my understanding Disney sued them for their efforts. If someone attempted to open an AC clone in Orlando the Disney lawyers would attack the place like starving wolves.

Exactly what I'm talking about. That type show would work perfectly in Orlando. They should clone that near Universal. So I take it the lawsuit failed because it is still open. I really don't think Disney could shut it down if it didn't directly lift any characters or content from the show.

Odd side note; I walked passed that place when it was under construction and always wondered what it was. Now I know! Thanks Yoda!

GymLeaderPhil

Exactly what I'm talking about. That type show would work perfectly in Orlando.
It already did work perfectly in Lake Buena Vista.

Until Wells died, Eisner lost his creative risk taking backbone, and the company's focus shifted from show to profit accountability that is still being observed under Iger.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Exactly what I'm talking about. That type show would work perfectly in Orlando. They should clone that near Universal. So I take it the lawsuit failed because it is still open. I really don't think Disney could shut it down if it didn't directly lift any characters or content from the show.

Odd side note; I walked passed that place when it was under construction and always wondered what it was. Now I know! Thanks Yoda!
I am not sure what the results of the lawsuit was. I was unable to even confirm that it even happened. But it is a safe assumption that Disney legal would take issue with an AC clone. It is hard to get investors to back you when you mention that they might be getting a call from a Disney lawyer.

jt04

It already did work perfectly in Lake Buena Vista.

Until Wells died, Eisner lost his creative risk taking backbone, and the company's focus shifted from show to profit accountability that is still being observed under Iger.

We have had conflicting reports about the viability of the AC and PI overall.

And that is quite a bit of "show" being installed at DCA. When that works it will be much easier to justify similar investment in the 4 WDW parks. Oh wait, they are not waiting. Stuff is coming to WDW. Announcements are pending.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes

And that is quite a bit of "show" being installed at DCA. When that works it will be much easier to justify similar investment in the 4 WDW parks. Oh wait, they are not waiting. Stuff is coming to WDW. Announcements are pending.
the leadership at DL is much better and they are willing to force things to happen. WDW has no leadership about their parks. Everytime there is a project, they slash the budget, they cut corners, and they neglect basic maintenance.

There are times Disney gets things right and there are times they don't. This is when they don't. Sometimes ppl need to take off the rose colored glasses.

jt04

the leadership at DL is much better and they are willing to force things to happen. WDW has no leadership about their parks. Everytime there is a project, they slash the budget, they cut corners, and they neglect basic maintenance.

There are times Disney gets things right and there are times they don't. This is when they don't. Sometimes ppl need to take off the rose colored glasses.

Well I see you have all your taking points down.

Sorry, I just don't buy it. The only place you hear this stuff is on anonymous posters on anonymous forums. I call shenanigans.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
Well I see you have all your taking points down.

Sorry, I just don't buy it. The only place you hear this stuff is on anonymous posters on anonymous forums. I call shenanigans.
I work at the parks. I see the lack of maintenance. I will agree that information on how a project "was supposed to be" is largely based on internet information, but the maintenance side of things is just one example of the lack of leadership at WDW.

Another example of poor planning and design: That stupid stitch show. Couldn't they have just put some kind of shade over it? Too much money, too narrow vision.

PI itself would not have died had they actually promoted it. In 2001 they slashed everything after 9/11. Then when things recovered, they didn't bring back a large amount of entertainment. The last advertising campaign they ran was in like 2002. They spent more money to tear down a stage than they did to build it. They were in the middle of refurbishing 40k worth of bar tops at Motion and had just done a refurb of 8-trax when they announced the closing. So tell me, where is the vision? Do they have any clue what they are doing long term? All signs point to no.

jt04

I work at the parks. I see the lack of maintenance. I will agree that information on how a project "was supposed to be" is largely based on internet information, but the maintenance side of things is just one example of the lack of leadership at WDW.

Another example of poor planning and design: That stupid stitch show. Couldn't they have just put some kind of shade over it? Too much money, too narrow vision.

PI itself would not have died had they actually promoted it. In 2001 they slashed everything after 9/11. Then when things recovered, they didn't bring back a large amount of entertainment. The last advertising campaign they ran was in like 2002. They spent more money to tear down a stage than they did to build it. They were in the middle of refurbishing 40k worth of bar tops at Motion and had just done a refurb of 8-trax when they announced the closing. So tell me, where is the vision? Do they have any clue what they are doing long term? All signs point to no.

You didn't have to tell me you work at the park. You have the frustrated CM spiel down pat. What bothers me is that this seems to be a place where CM's vent about the managers. Guests, for the most part, seem quite satisfied. Now I have been visiting WDW since before you were born most likely. My visits are in the triple digits. The place looks as good as ever considering the traffic it gets compared to yesteryear. I know disgruntled employee talk and this site if full of it. It's boring. :snore:

Thelazer

Must be some nice rose colored glasses you have there.

I've been to the parks myself zillions of times, going back over 25 years.
I DO see the changes and they are not all good.

Oh I'm sorry, this is WDW MAGIC the "Happy talk board only".. nothing negative here, EVER!. I'll leave now.

jt04

Must be some nice rose colored glasses you have there.

I've been to the parks myself zillions of times, going back over 25 years.
I DO see the changes and they are not all good.

Oh I'm sorry, this is WDW MAGIC the "Happy talk board only".. nothing negative here, EVER!. I'll leave now.

Specific examples might help. Who knows someone may read it and dispatch the fixers. The place looks great. Period.

SirGoofy

The place looks as good as ever considering the traffic it gets compared to yesteryear. I know disgruntled employee talk and this site if full of it. It's boring. :snore:

This post is hilarious,considering you've been saying you haven't been to WDW in a while, and don't plan on going back until things improve.

Which is it, jt?

jt04

This post is hilarious,considering you've been saying you haven't been to WDW in a while, and don't plan on going back until things improve.

Which is it, jt?

Untangle mode.

I was there in 2008. But the complaining on the forums goes wayyyyy back.

I am not going back until they earn my business back with attractions. It has nothing to do with upkeep.

Just look at epcotsevos update from last night. I never miss any updates people have posted on the web. So, I am also going by that and people's written descriptions. EE is no apologist for WDW and he says the MK looks great except for the areas the new standards have not reached yet. Namely AL (soon) and TL (underway).

And now there is a rumor Epcot is getting a tarpectomy. :cool:

SirGoofy

Untangle mode.

I was there in 2008. But the complaining on the forums goes wayyyyy back.

I am not going back until they earn my business back with attractions. It has nothing to do with upkeep.

Just look at epcotsevos update from last night. I never miss any updates people have posted on the web. So, I am also going by that and people's written descriptions. EE is no apologist for WDW and he says the MK looks great except for the areas the new standards have not reached yet. Namely AL (soon) and TL (underway).

And now there is a rumor Epcot is getting a tarpectomy. :cool:

Agreed. I was just curious.

MK looks the best it has in a LONG time JL's visits have really kicked their butts into gear over there.

EPCOT, DHS, and DAK have never had problems IMO, but MK looked like trash for a long period while I worked there, with no apparent end in sight. I just hope JL keeps his trips up to keep the pressure on Phil.

71jason

Not sure what you mean here, but the only conflict would be with reality.

Money-wise, PI overall was profitable, even after Disney stripped it of its unique show elements (live bands, Xplosion Dancers, fireworks), stopped all promotion, and failed to capitalize on potential revenue streams (e.g. merchandise). Specifically, the AC and Motion were profitable, Mannequins was very profitable, and 8-Trax was obscenely profitable.* These are facts even Kevin Lansberry admitted to the Sentinel.

Crowd-wise, a steady stream of obvious club-goers still show up every weekend, and the bartenders get asked about the clubs at least a half a dozen times a night, despite the fact they closed almost a year ago. The last time Disney DID promote PI--the "Carpe PM" promotion around Spring 2007 IIRC--the place was always packed. And that's not even including the AC, an attraction that only the Mansion and Pirates can rival for a cult following. I guarantee if the clubs re-opened tomorrow, PI would have a crowd by next weekend.

*[Of course, I would think any profit, however small, is better than letting the buildings sit there depreciating, literally rotting away, from both business and show perspectives. But I'm neither an MBA nor an Imagineer.]

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom