Celebrate a Dream Come True Parade starts TODAY

disnyfan89

Ok, I apologize for the following but it just has to be said.

First the facts: I watched the parade today for the first time and was able to catch the whole parade once in FL and once on Main Street. I was able to watch the show stop three times. Before watching the parade today I had not viewed any photos or video of the parade and only knew some of the new changes included in the parade.

I personally hope whoever the designer, show director, and anyone else involved in the creative process of this parade including who gave it the green light is smacked or fired! This was easily the worst parade at a Disney park I have ever seen. (Yes, includding Stars and Motor Cars) It was dull, boring, predictable and uninspired. Everything from the floats to the costumes to the music to the choreography was extremely underwhelming.

First of all the parade moves at a snails pace and takes forever to get anywhere. Second, the opening unit with the ribbon girl is extremely pointless and out of place. While I’m glad they changed the Mickey float drastically I am however disappointed overall with its appearance and it was one of the few things I liked about the new parade.

My major issue with the parade is the "party goers" between each float. They are ranked as movers for this parade and as such I expect amazing choreography from them. What we got was dumbed down movement due to the fact we over staffed this parade with movers and it shows. Each of these "party goers" show be as amazing as the opening animators from DDCT. The Mickey unit did a great job of keeping with this but all the other units after that where a dumbed down pathetic excuse of a parade mover.

As already stated the unified dancers through out the parade turned what should be a visually interesting experience into a boring experience. Please, please, please design some new costumes for the party goers. The only units that can get away with the current costumes are the Mickey and Castle Float units. Everyone else should be unique.

I also feel that they should remove the party goers from the peter pan float and add back the flood characters. The villain party goers could have had at least been dressed in the same outfits but black.

Now on to my biggest issue with the parade: the show stop! Why bother? There was no magical experienced gained from the new show stops. I found the routine to be way to similar to the travel loop so it just created a blah experience. After the show stops that we have seen in PoD and Block Party I expect a full out amazing experience that makes me say WOW. What we got was a part of the parade that is better off being cut. It served no point in the parade at all and left the characters in the parade just standing there with nothing of real importance to do.

My apologies if you are a performer in this parade but it is just simply nothing more than forgettable. What made DDCT for me is the added energy that they pumped into parade and this parade sucked all the life out of it. I, for the first time in my life, have zero intrest in ever seeing this parade again and wish it a quick and speedy death.

Also, I don't think this parade is going to be all that different from the new street celebration in terms of look and feel.

On a side note I really like the new WWYC character overlays.

Wow, such a harsh response. And I don't even want to really respond because as a performer I will just get upset...but I don't how you can say this parade has less energy than DDCT.

vickyvale

How bout you either take the time to enjoy the parade - it's not my favorite but it's not my least favorite & I think they dancers do a really nice job - OR you skip the parade and catch a place in line at an attraction of your choice.

30+ thousand people a day watch that parade and most of them really enjoy it. Just because you don't doesn't mean anyone should be fired or that the performers aren't hard at work.

Vent ended.

ToTBellHop

How bout you either take the time to enjoy the parade - it's not my favorite but it's not my least favorite & I think they dancers do a really nice job - OR you skip the parade and catch a place in line at an attraction of your choice.

30+ thousand people a day watch that parade and most of them really enjoy it. Just because you don't doesn't mean anyone should be fired or that the performers aren't hard at work.

Vent ended.
This is a discussion board...all he was doing is sharing his opinion. That's a bad thing?

Azerin

Thank you vickyvale! I can definetly say that us dancers work our butt off in this parade. And going down the street guests seem to really enjoy it!

I think the dancers were doing a great job... I basically just don't like the floats and lack of characters... things completely outside of the control of anyone in the parade... you all always do an insanely awesome job and it amazes me that you can keep doing it over and over and over... I think most of the criticism people have about this parade are NOT in any way a reflection of the job you and everyone else in the parade does but about the job the people that made the decisions about this parade and what changes would be made.

I know a few of the performers and I know the insane hours they work and how much effort they give day after day and I have nothing but respect and admiration for them (and you)... the person/people that decided that they should just reuse all the floats, get rid of all the ground characters, and have all the dancers throughout the parade in the exact same outfits... they are the ones I have an issue with :p

Spyne

Have to say, I really like it! The music is darn catchy! :lol: Hopefully I can see it in person soon! (Hopefully if things work out this year...:lookaroun) It may not have as many characters as DDCT, but I still think it has quite a bit of the charm. :)

disnyfan89

Wow, such a harsh response. And I don't even want to really respond because as a performer I will just get upset...but I don't how you can say this parade has less energy than DDCT.
As I said in my original post I apologize for my harsh criticism. I know several individuals in this parade and know all the hard work that you as performers put into this parade. However, when it comes to the parade in the Magic Kingdom I have very high expectations.

As for less energy than DDCT, that is not any of the performers' fault. That is IMO the fault of the designers. The Mickey unit met my expectations in terms of quality and energy but every unit after that falls flat IMO, despite the fantastic job of the parade performers. For me it's a combination of the music (which for me is extremely slow compared to the energetic music from DDCT) and the dumbed down choreography. The party goers are ranked as movers and as movers I expect a mover quality performance in terms of choreography. Each unit should be as impressive as opening animators from DDCT! But because the designers of this parade cut ground characters from the parade and added tons of movers, entertainment was unable to get enough high quality movers to staff this parade and because of that we have a lessened experience in terms of movement.

Once again I apologize for my "harsh" criticism but this is my opinion of the new parade. As a performer in this parade you should be proud of your hard work.

dazzer68

i didnt want to upset any performers, with my comment , just said the costumes were very dated.:lookaroun, so the only people who should be upset at that are the costume department.the dancers are doing a great job, just theres so many of them

disnyfan89

i didnt want to upset any performers, with my comment , just said the costumes were very dated.:lookaroun, so the only people who should be upset at that are the costume department.the dancers are doing a great job, just theres so many of them
I don't think any of those commets where directed at you dazzer. ;)

haveyoumetmark

I am dumbfounded. I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer here, but this entire celebration is too much for me. It's garish and tasteless. They crippled SADCT with every revamp they've done, they killed it with this one. I think the kiddies will be bored and this will be the most shortlived of the parades.

The performers are wonderful, given what they have to work with.

DisneyDellsDude

Original Poster
I like the costumes being from the 70's. Goes along with the fact that WDW opened in 1971. Anyone think that is the reason for the outfits?

And just interested, but what were you guys thinking the outfits should look like?

NMBC1993

I just wish we'd get a new parade sometime soon. It'd been 8 years, I think we're overdue. Since Tokyo seems to get a new parade every month it seems, why can't they chuck one of those our way....

Tip Top Club

I'm just wondering what factors led to them not sending PoD over to Florida? It's not like they are making a whole new parade, just new to Florida, and It would have been easy to add little balloons and such to those floats to go along with the celebration theme, and that parade is designed to have show stops as well, perfect for the celebration song. It was rumored for so long, and now that PoD has been retired...why not send it to wdw guys?

Chape19714

I'm just wondering what factors led to them not sending PoD over to Florida? It's not like they are making a whole new parade, just new to Florida, and It would have been easy to add little balloons and such to those floats to go along with the celebration theme, and that parade is designed to have show stops as well, perfect for the celebration song. It was rumored for so long, and now that PoD has been retired...why not send it to wdw guys?
Because the PoD retirement decision came too late...CDCT parade was already in the planning stages when DL said that PoD would no longer perform. DL originally planned to run PoD another few years, but that changed after the Christmas parade finished up.

spectropluto

as always, it comes down to economics. VERY long story short, it was much more than simply "sending PoD over to Florida". (I am not mocking your question at all, I promise). There are WAY too many factors that go into something like that than can be described, I assure you.

Also, (and this is NOT directed at you Tip Top Club), many of the MK performers were kinda jazzed about the idea of doing PoD... but, in the long run, this thread would have been filled with so many people saying, "Why can't WDW MK come up with something new?... Just re-using old floats... Tokyo would never do such a thing (hee hee)..."

Did we end up re-using floats? Yes.
Did we please everyone? No.
Did we do the best with what we were given (and, in all honesty, I don't know who I mean exactly when I say "we")? I guess.
The team who physically put this all together did the best with what they were given.

True, everyone won't be happy. This thread shows proof of that. BUT had we brought PoD over... we'd be hearing the same kind of commets. I have read some amazing points of view on this thread. Most comments (though not exactly music to my ears) all hold some sort of merit or insight.

We'll do our best to keep making magic! Promise!

Thank you vickyvale! I can definetly say that us dancers work our butt off in this parade. And going down the street guests seem to really enjoy it!

I thought the dancing was amazing. As I said before, you guys put your heart and soul into this and it really shows. I could only imagine how much practice and hard work went into making it look effortless. This is my favorite version of the SADCT parade. I think the music is much livelier and it just brings this magical atmosphere to the parade. I liked the energy of the DDCT parade, but it lacked that magic in the soundtrack. What’s great about this soundtrack is that it immerses you into the different worlds of the floats. I just wish that the characters would come down and mingle during the show-stop.

I’m hoping they release a new CD with all the music from the ‘Celebrate’ theme. It could have this parade, the upcoming street party, and the ‘Celebrate You’ theme. I’m still in shock of the ‘Event Party Music’ CD release, so hopefully this will come out too.

spectropluto

i’m hoping they release a new cd with all the music from the ‘celebrate’ theme. It could have this parade, the upcoming street party, and the ‘celebrate you’ theme. I’m still in shock of the ‘event party music’ cd release, so hopefully this will come out too.

you and me both! Lol :roflol:

WDW1974

I haven't seen this parade, so I'll refrain from judging it fully here ... that said, it is more than disingenuous to call this parade new.

It isn't.

It's a 2001 parade (with some floats dating back to 1981) that's been redressed to fit the latest marketing scheme/campaign.

It's supposed to appear fresh ... but to me it's largely akin to supermarkets that repackage meat and pump it with CO2 to make it look red and fresh that is passed off as something that isn't long past its expiration date.

In the last year plus I've seen parades at DL, DCA, DLP and HKDL ... a total of five in all, and they all (with the exception of DL's PoD, a wonderful parade but one that is getting tired) had a freshness about them.

This doesn't. And it all comes down to management and money.

jt04

I thought the dancing was amazing. As I said before, you guys put your heart and soul into this and it really shows. I could only imagine how much practice and hard work went into making it look effortless. This is my favorite version of the SADCT parade. I think the music is much livelier and it just brings this magical atmosphere to the parade. I liked the energy of the DDCT parade, but it lacked that magic in the soundtrack. What’s great about this soundtrack is that it immerses you into the different worlds of the floats. I just wish that the characters would come down and mingle during the show-stop.

I’m hoping they release a new CD with all the music from the ‘Celebrate’ theme. It could have this parade, the upcoming street party, and the ‘Celebrate You’ theme. I’m still in shock of the ‘Event Party Music’ CD release, so hopefully this will come out too.

I heard it is really good too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom