Celebrate a Dream Come True Parade starts TODAY

mpaul32001

Really?!? 27?!? Where did they cut? I guess lost boys, and did they have more dwarfs? But other than that, I'm baffled.

Walt Disney

3190755702_92cdbf0246.jpg

Walt's Artists

3189985389_f10c76a51a.jpg

Pinnochio Characters & The Dwarfs Afterwords

3189919873_1df4b7fcaa.jpg

Pooh Characters in front of Aladdin Float

3190803300_281e834b35.jpg

The Tweedles

3189951137_e44e9de958.jpg

Misc. Characters in front of Peter Pan

3189990421_039e29520b.jpg

It all adds up! :(

I liked this parade; for me it brought the magic back, especially with the music. This new soundtrack was amazing, and IMO on par with something from Tokyo Disneyland. I loved how each unit had its own specific music. It truly made magic.

There were too many dancers and not enough characters. Most guests go the parade to see characters, not dancers. I also didn’t like how the costumes did not match the units. As stated before, the princess unit should have had the dancers dressed in formal attire, etc. Over in Disneyland Paris, for the Once Upon A Dream Parade, the dancers are dressed in theme with each specific float. I also did not care too much for the show stop, especially after seeing the amazing show stop that was created for Disneyland’s Parade of Dreams. At least in POD the characters come off the floats, wave ribbons, and interact with the guests. That is what this show stop could have done, as opposed to using dancers. The costumes for Chip, Dale, Donald, and Goofy should have matched Mickey and Minnie’s costumes. I really liked Mickey and Minnie’s new costumes.

The dancers were amazing, you could tell they put their heart and soul into the parade and it really shows. They were amazing.

Overall, IMO this was a fin parade and my favorite f the three. Hopefully this is the last version of this parade we see.

Captain Hank

Upon further reflection, I think I identified the most lacking element in this parade--guest interaction. The dancers' choreography doesn't include any "down times" where they can break away and briefly interact with guests. Furthermore, without any characters on the street, even during the show stop, that leaves out a huge opportunity for direct interaction, even of the briefest kind.

mrtyoung

The parade looks really colourful but I am so disappointed with the lack of characters taking part. As another poster has said people go to see characters in the parade rather than dancers. The dancers were doing a great job but I know my children would prefer disney characters.

teebin

I just watched the video. Were there any characters on the ground at all??? I didn't see any. As I see it, there were dancers in the same (dreadful) outfits between each and every float. Did I see this correctly??

The dancers aren't union professionals are they?

What department designs the parades? I would imagine WDI?? What dept does the erm... choreography?

I have always found the MK parades to be really sappy but at least fun for the young ones, especially the interactions with the characters on the ground. This felt like a combo of the old donnie and marie and lawrence welk shows, very 70'ish. (that isn't a compliment)

DTM93

I definetely do like the new songs and think they are both really good.
I think that the new float is okay but like Mickey and Minnine on the float, I think it was a shame they got rid of the characters, I throught instead of getting rid they could have added more
Nice parade though. :animwink:

Captain Hank

I just watched the video. Were there any characters on the ground at all??? I didn't see any. As I see it, there were dancers in the same (dreadful) outfits between each and every float. Did I see this correctly??

The dancers aren't union professionals are they?

What department designs the parades? I would imagine WDI?? What dept does the erm... choreography?

I have always found the MK parades to be really sappy but at least fun for the young ones, especially the interactions with the characters on the ground. This felt like a combo of the old donnie and marie and lawrence welk shows, very 70'ish. (that isn't a compliment)
No characters are on street level at all. Only dancers. Walt Disney Creative Entertainment is generally in charge of parades and shows, not WDI.

kcw

Yikes.

I never really had high hopes for this revamp, but I tried to keep an open mind and wait until I saw it to post my opinions. So I saw it, and here they are. Take them as you will.....

*Ribbon dancer- :veryconfu
*Snow White finally gets to be with the Snow Prince- :sohappy:
*Bert on the float with Mary- :D
*Disney World just doesn't have that high of caliber dancers to choose from-:zipit:
*Good choreography could have masked that and made it not seem so obvious- :eek:
*Dancers behind the villain float doing "villain-y" choreography in those costumes- :ROFLOL::hurl:
*Fun chimney sweeps demoted to terrible costumes and worse choreography- :mad:

kcw

too many smilies in one post. So here's part 2

*No originality on the show stop, mimicking PoD- :rolleyes:
*Alice, Hatter, Wendy, and Pan's choreography at the end of the show stop? All they need are lighters!- :eek:
*Where did all the characters go?- :brick:
*New Fab 5 costumes- :cry:
*New soundtrack- :shrug:
*Castle float still there- :fork:
*Princess float still there- :fork::fork:

I'd rather have DDCT back... :(

and teebin- no performers in that parade are Equity

Azerin

Soo I have only seen the videos and the pictures so far.... haven't seen it in person but here are my thoughts:

First, I was not a huge fan of DDCT parade mostly because of the floats... I think most of the floats were very boring and bland especially compared to the PoD floats in Disneyland and both the new and old parades in Disneyland Paris... there floats are all very different from one another and all have kewl things like moving parts... the DDCT floats had very few "cool" factors... most of them (with the exception of the Princess Monstrosity float and the Crystal Castle) all had the same "base" with different themes on top... it didn't help that they didn't bother to dress up the bases at all and they ended up looking very dirty and badly in need of a paint job. I did like the music and the characters and basically everything other then the floats.

Before I saw the new parade I knew that they were basically taking the DDCT parade, changing the music and dancing, doing a little re-themeing of the floats, and supposedly the Mickey float was supposed to be new... knowing all this I tried to approach the new parade with a fairly open mind and try to like it just for what it was... basically DDCT with new music and some new themeing and supposedly one new float... not exactly what I would want... but it is what it is

After watching the videos here are my thoughts (for what it is worth)

I like the new music... and I like the choreography... actually overall I like both of those a lot. The dancers did a great job and I think overall the music and dancing added a lot of energy

The show stop... I like the music for it and the dancing; however, I don't like the fact that the characters basically just sit/stand on their floats and wave their hands the whole time... this looks kinda cheezy... I think the show stop and the parade as a whole would have been MUCH better if the characters came down off their floats and were part of the show stop... much like they did for Parade of Dreams and the parade in Disneyland Paris... I know there are problems with doing that for some of the characters but a lot of them could very easily walk down the steps on the front of their float or something.

Characters... what happened to all the characters?!?!?!

They got rid of:
Walt, the Brooms, Gideon, Fowlfellow, Donkey Boys, Tigger, Piglet, Eeyore, Tweedledee, Tweedledum, Captain Hook, Mr. Smee, Suzy, Perla, Flora, Fauna, Merryweather, the Dwarfs other than Dopey, Brer Bear, Brer Rabbit, Meeko, Stitch, Rafiki, Robin Hook, Friar Tuck
In their place they added: Snow Prince and Bert

They got rid of all the ground characters... which I think is crappy... which leads me to the next problem... interaction... sure characters and performers didn't and couldn't interact with every guest but I know it did make the parade extra special for a lot of people... with no ground characters and the dancers having to dance pretty much constantly a lot of guest interaction is gone.

The villains... the villains float feels completely out of place with this theme... I know I just complained about the lack of characters but I almost feel like it would have been better to remove the Villains float.

The floats... first I was expecting a new Mickey float and what it ended up being was just a repaint of the old Mickey float... so I am disappointed by that... I think the new paint job on the mickey float is a little too ummm busy or something... it kinda looks like a cheap insta party kit threw up all over the float. The only other changes to the floats were to the Crystal Castle float which for the most part isn't bad and Pooh has a new balloon... otherwise they are all EXACTLY the same... I thought they were going to so some "partyifying" of the other floats... as much as I would have loved to have them updated in some way... based on what they did to the Mickey float I am probably glad they didn't :p

The costumes... I like the new character costumes although not completely sold on Mickey's... the other ones (Chip/Dale/Pluto/Goofy/Donald) I like... and actually think they could have gone a bit further and given certain other characters party hats or something; however, the dancer costumes I don't like... well... I wouldn't mind them so much IF they were only the costumes for the dancers in front of the mickey float and maybe the crystal castle float since they go with those floats... the rest of them don't match the floats at all... I liked the different themed dancers (pirates, chimney sweeps, brides maids, etc)... having all the dancers wear the exact same thing for every part of the parade is boring and it leads to huge clashes between the dancer's outfits and the theme of the floats.

So to summarize:

The good: New music, choreography, energy, the job the cast members did, the show stop music and choreography, new character costumes

The bad: getting rid of half the characters, no real guest interaction, repetitiveness of the dancer costumes, the gaudy paint job on the Mickey float, overall theme flow (or lack thereof)

Is there no hope for this parade? wouldn't say that... I think if they added back some of the characters they dropped, did something with the characters on the floats during the show stops, and had the dancers in costumes that matched the float they were in front of it could be a decent parade... at least as good and probably at least a little better than DDCT...

Still would like a completely new parade with some new and better floats... doesnt even need to be completely new if they got the ~10 year old Wonderful World Of Disney Parade from DLP it would be a huge improvement over the SADCT Take 3... guess I will have to keep hoping that after this promotion is over they completely replace the parade.

jrh1985

Yikes.

I never really had high hopes for this revamp, but I tried to keep an open mind and wait until I saw it to post my opinions. So I saw it, and here they are. Take them as you will.....

*Ribbon dancer- :veryconfu
*Snow White finally gets to be with the Snow Prince- :sohappy:
*Bert on the float with Mary- :D
*Disney World just doesn't have that high of caliber dancers to choose from-:zipit:
*Good choreography could have masked that and made it not seem so obvious- :eek:
*Dancers behind the villain flo:ROFLOL:at doing "villain-y" choreography in those costumes- :hurl:
*Fun chimney sweeps demoted to terrible costumes and worse choreography- :mad:

Am I the only one on here that notices that the dancers for "their unit" are in front of "their unit".

TP2000

Upon reflection, I think what leaves us a bit underwhelmed with this "show stop" is the fact that these floats and parade infrastructure weren't designed with a show stop in mind. In short, these 1990's floats don't do anything besides just park there, and the Characters don't come down off the floats because the floats weren't designed with a mid-route egress/ingress in mind.

Compared to Disneyland's Parade of Dreams where the floats were designed to not only allow costumed Characters to safely step off the float and get back on during the parade, but they also do some bit of "transforming" during the purposely designed show stops; trees that grow for flying bird girls, puppet towers that telescope for marionette stunts, tea tables that have trampolines built in, etc.

What this new Celebrate parade seems to do during the "show stop" is to simply come to a stop and let the batallions of disco dancers do the same choreography while staying in place. The Characters stay on the floats, the floats stay the same, and the focus is totally on the dancers. And I think that just reinforces the image of this parade being about disco dancers in bad wigs.

A real "show stop" would have floats designed with that concept in mind, allowing for the Characters to disembark the floats and get down into the audience, and the floats to change and transform in some way to play in to the "show" and the "stop".

As it is now, this is just sort of a pause in the parade for no reason other than to reinforce the latest marketing campaign. :rolleyes:

Captain Hank

Upon reflection, I think what leaves us a bit underwhelmed with this "show stop" is the fact that these floats and parade infrastructure weren't designed with a show stop in mind. In short, these 1990's floats don't do anything besides just park there, and the Characters don't come down off the floats because the floats weren't designed with a mid-route egress/ingress in mind.

Compared to Disneyland's Parade of Dreams where the floats were designed to not only allow costumed Characters to safely step off the float and get back on during the parade, but they also do some bit of "transforming" during the purposely designed show stops; trees that grow for flying bird girls, puppet towers that telescope for marionette stunts, tea tables that have trampolines built in, etc.

What this new Celebrate parade seems to do during the "show stop" is to simply come to a stop and let the batallions of disco dancers do the same choreography while staying in place. The Characters stay on the floats, the floats stay the same, and the focus is totally on the dancers. And I think that just reinforces the image of this parade being about disco dancers in bad wigs.

A real "show stop" would have floats designed with that concept in mind, allowing for the Characters to disembark the floats and get down into the audience, and the floats to change and transform in some way to play in to the "show" and the "stop".

As it is now, this is just sort of a pause in the parade for no reason other than to reinforce the latest marketing campaign. :rolleyes:
The original version of Share a Dream Come True did have show stops, and the floats did have mechanized elements for them, primarily turntables that spun the main platform (then a snowglobe) around. Over the years, these elements were lost. IIRC, the SADCT show stops primarily involved the street-level characters, while most of the on-float characters stayed put (heck, most of the on-float characters were locked in those awful snowglobe domes).

DisneyDellsDude

Original Poster
After watching reading everyone's thoughts before watching, I thought I wouldn't mind having the same dancers inbetween the floats. I thought it would tie the parade together well - but it was just boring!:lol:

Quickly what I liked...
-regular music & show stop music
-less characters (before, it was too cluttered with characters that didn't even go with their floats. Too mish-mashed for me)
-the redo of the crystal castle float. I love the balloons for this celebration. Why couldn't they have more of those in the parade on all the floats?

What is ok...
-the redo of the opening mickey float
-same performers between all floats

What I didn't like...
-the show stop performance itself. Much more needs to happen, even if they just do confetti bursts at the end, or let balloons go. That would have been neat.
-they didn't do anything to the floats besides the mickey and castle ones.

That's my take on this.:king:

My rating
Share a Dream... (with show stops) > Celebrate a Dream... > Disney Dreams Come True

DisneyDellsDude

Original Poster
One more quick thought I just had. I think it's funny how similar the show stop is to the Parade of Dreams one - even though ours is lacking it seems a bit. You can tell where the inspiration came from.:lol:

Tip Top Club

I haven't seen this live yet, but my initial reactions were very much the same as everyone else's.

1. Lack of characters in the streets, especially during show stops, how hard would it be for non-anchored characters to just go down the stairs in front of the float to say hi to the kiddies?

2. I LOVE The new music, it's very catchy and upbeat, without being as repetitive as DDCT.

3. I honestly don't mind the dancer costumes and the "Dorothy Hamil" haircuts, I thought they brought the celebration theme to the parade. Which leads me to...

4. Besides the first and last floats, it didn't seem like anyone was celebrating anything. Just hey look at the disney characters with the celebration dancers.

Overall Good, and I think better than DDCT, I liked the small additions like Bert, and Snow White's Prince, but I'll miss the dancing brooms and chimney sweeps. I loved them, they really made that parade for me. It's a toss up between Brooms and Chimney Sweeps, or Show Stops for me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom