Breaking News: Space Mountain Rehab

burninup4nick

i dont ride SM so this refurb isnt that exciting to me. but i know many of u on here have been anxiously awaiting a refurb so im happy for all of u!!!! :)

Buried20KLeague

Any word on a new lift scene? Or better yet, enclosed lift tunnels with effects like a few other SM's around the world?

That would fix the light bleed issue from the lift area too... But it would clash with the way the TTA currently can see that quick portion of the ride.

WDW1974

In Paris' case, new trains/restraints would mostly do the job.
Vekoma has some new trains that are supposed to greatly reduce the head-bang that their coasters get after a few years.
Odd how RnRC is holding up so well.

I don't know much about the mechanics of coasters ... but that thing needs something major. If it were running in the US parks there would be lawsuits left and right.

As to RnRC, it isn't nearly as bad as DLP's SM ... but it is still pushing my limits for head banging. Also, FWIW, the DSP version is much, much smoother ... of course, it's also three years newer and runs for considerably fewer hours annually.

hemloc

Breaking news: New theme and sponsor teaser poster found!!!

xenuescape.jpg

jt04

Original Poster
I don't know much about the mechanics of coasters ... but that thing needs something major. If it were running in the US parks there would be lawsuits left and right.

As to RnRC, it isn't nearly as bad as DLP's SM ... but it is still pushing my limits for head banging. Also, FWIW, the DSP version is much, much smoother ... of course, it's also three years newer and runs for considerably fewer hours annually.

I don't know. I rode RnRC about 5 years ago and it was VERY rough but the last couple times (after the latest refurb) it was smooth as glass and very enjoyable. I'm not even sure if they did anything with the track but something was different. It moved way up on my list of favorite rides at WDW.

mcjaco

The problem with Vekoma tends to be their wheels. You can often slip your fingers between the wheels and the track. That's a lot of play for the trains to bang around.

B&M's wheels are always in contact with the track on all sides. I have no idea why Vekoma can't figure this out.

Lee

Adventurer
I don't know much about the mechanics of coasters ... but that thing needs something major.
Basically, the better the wheels grip the track, the smoother the ride. The track itself doesn't really change much over the years, but the way the trains run on them does. If the wheels are gripping well...ride won't head bang too much.
Out at Central Shops they have (or did have) a HUGE supply of wheels for RnRC, so there's no real need for them to run with worn out wheels.

Lee

Adventurer
B&M's wheels are always in contact with the track on all sides. I have no idea why Vekoma can't figure this out.

Oh, they've figured it out. It's just up to the park to keep the wheels changed out. For some reason, Vekomas just wear down quicker. I've been on B&Ms that rattled around pretty good...like Scream at Magic Mountain. Very Vekoma-like the day I rode it. You can also really tell when Hulk needs new wheels.

Brian Noble

Vekoma has some new trains that are supposed to greatly reduce the head-bang that their coasters get after a few years.
There's a really large variance in how well Vekomas track after a few years. For example, Kong, a Vekoma SLC at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, is just a notoriously awful headbanger. I rode it in 2004ish, and it was awful.

Thunderhawk, exactly the same model coaster, built in exactly the same year, had a much better reputation, and indeed, when I rode it in 2007, it was actually quite a lot of fun. The ride has been relocated to Michigan's Adventure, and was reported to be relatively smooth there as well.

I don't think it's the track so much as it is the wheels and undercarriage of the car. My guess is that a park has to be really on top of wheel/assembly replacement to keep those running well.

Edited to add: wow, I must be a really slow typist. What those guys all said---it's gotta be the wheels.

mcjaco

Oh, they've figured it out. It's just up to the park to keep the wheels changed out. For some reason, Vekomas just wear down quicker. I've been on B&Ms that rattled around pretty good...like Scream at Magic Mountain. Very Vekoma-like the day I rode it. You can also really tell when Hulk needs new wheels.

B&M rattle is hardly as bad as Vekoma.

I've seen new Vekoma's that you can literally spin the top wheel. That's just not a good design.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
New track? Yes. New support system? Debatable. New cars and audio? Depends who you ask.
see below

Debatable and depends who you ask isn't no I guess.

Any word on TTA upgrades? Or is that just getting cleaned?
to quote Jim Carrey in Dumb and Dumber:

Lloyd: What are the chances of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?
Mary: Well, that's pretty difficult to say.
Lloyd: Hit me with it! I've come a long way to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.
[pause]
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance.

:D

Nope, Disneyland's was always planned to be a full gut and rebuild. Likewise, at MK, they have crawled all over that mountain and know full well what shape it's in, and what it needs.

With MK's, it's been hard to put it all together. For a while there, they were seriously thinking of only replacing certain segments of the track (if that much). This opened up the possibility of just retrofitting the existing support structure.
However, with the recent information about a full track replacement, I would seem logical that they would replace the suppert structure as well. I imagine that putting all new track onto those rickety, flimsy 1975 supports would not be a good idea.
Based on my info...my money's on a full track/support replacement...at least for today...
if only real gambling were like that.... :D

hokielutz

Nope, Disneyland's was always planned to be a full gut and rebuild. Likewise, at MK, they have crawled all over that mountain and know full well what shape it's in, and what it needs.

With MK's, it's been hard to put it all together. For a while there, they were seriously thinking of only replacing certain segments of the track (if that much). This opened up the possibility of just retrofitting the existing support structure.
However, with the recent information about a full track replacement, I would seem logical that they would replace the suppert structure as well. I imagine that putting all new track onto those rickety, flimsy 1975 supports would not be a good idea.
Based on my info...my money's on a full track/support replacement...at least for today...

This is all great news if it does turn out to be true!!

Also, its not rocket science to understand that replacing the supports now while replacing the track will benefit the attraction in the long run. Better to replace them now and get 40+ years out of it, than to not replace the supports and have to redo them in 7-15 at a much higher cost.

RSoxNo1

In Paris' case, new trains/restraints would mostly do the job.

It's true, I've probably been on RnRC 20+ times, and only remember one particular rough ride on the head banging.

mcjaco

It's true, I've probably been on RnRC 20+ times, and only remember one particular rough ride on the head banging.

I think some Vekoma's are cursed to a life of headbanging. Others are acceptable with the right amount of love.

RnRC at DHS gets lots of love so, it's behaved better. I understand that isn't the case at DLP.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Also, its not rocket science to understand that replacing the supports now while replacing the track will benefit the attraction in the long run.
Indeed, but bean counters don`t think like that. Remember SSEs ride system is irreparably damaged since they wouldn`t spend a couple of thousand on some bearings. The prime example however has to be Rocket Rods, and how Harris wouldn`t spend and extra $5m on a $60m project despite being told the consequences. I really hope they have learnt, but a lot of the forthcoming Orlando track replacement wasn`t TDOs decision; it came from outside the company and they had no choice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom