WDWFREAK53

Okay, I've only seen Avatar once and don't plan on watching it again...but I don't remember anything in it that looks like those giant ribs/bones that they have as a mountain in this model. I remember floating mountains that had waterfalls falling down and the mountains were held together with vines. The mountains floated because they had the magical element "unobtanium" in them.

Was there a part of Avatar that had a giant rib cage/bones area? This reminds me of the elephant graveyard the hyenas lived in for Lion King.

Not sure what to make of any of this.

But, James Cameron is a perfectionist. He will go to court and use loopholes in the contract to stop construction if he thinks what Disney is building is not his "vision". From what I understand Cameron gets into lawsuits a lot and is very perfectionist in things he does...so that does not add-up if people think he's suddenly going to allow something lackluster to be built with his "Avatar" brand.

Cameron has been obsessed with Avatar for many years. I don't think he'll just let Disney do what they want with it and make a giant ribcage/boneyard mountain thing.

That "ribcage" is in the movie.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Are they supposed to be bones from a giant monster or are they rocks?

They appear towards the end of the movie, here is a piece of artwork from the movie that someone posted earlier. They are supposed to be rock formed by the strong magnetic fields of the planet. They appear to be designed to look like magnetic flux lines.

2457.jpg

Clamman73

Speaking of scale models.... I saw the New Fantasyland model the other day in One Man's Dream...it was nice, but I noticed they're all in sections about 1x1 meter.

I've also been researching 3D Printing lately and found there is now a large format 3D printer that could print out some really nice models....the Objet 1000 (Prints 1000mmx 800mm x 650mm)

Objet1000.jpg

This won't do full color I don't believe, but the models could be really in-depth and detailed, and printed within a day for each section.

It's the new Tomorrowland Speedway car!

phi2134

If I am seeing this correctly it looks like there is a suspended bridge with people crossing it and the back right seems to be a large pit. If I remember the movie the giant rib cage rock structure was at the bottom of a canyon. Could the feasibly create something like this? Instead of building up on land, they decide to dig down?

doctornick

If I am seeing this correctly it looks like there is a suspended bridge with people crossing it and the back right seems to be a large pit. If I remember the movie the giant rib cage rock structure was at the bottom of a canyon. Could the feasibly create something like this? Instead of building up on land, they decide to dig down?

Don't know about the land at DAK specifically, but in general the land at WDW is swampy with a shallow water table and can not be dug into. That's why when they built the Utilidors at MK, they actually build a "first floor" for the park of the Utilidors and covered them and basically made a second floor for the entire park that is ground level to guests.

My guess is that building a pit in DAK probably is not a realistic option.

doctornick

They appear towards the end of the movie, here is a piece of artwork from the movie that someone posted earlier. They are supposed to be rock formed by the strong magnetic fields of the planet. They appear to be designed to look like magnetic flux lines.

2457.jpg

Images like this -- which looks possible to reproduce in DAK -- are things that get me excited for Pandora. A well designed Pandora land would be very interesting to "visit".

wedenterprises

True. But all of the guys who built Disneyland were movie guys, and they took that movie perspective into building the park for Walt.

That's why Disneyland was so wildly successful; it was designed by movie guys, not amusement park guys.

Well yes, but the parks are no longer built by film guys they are built by theme park guys who must abide by code, modern techniques, next gen, marketing requests etc. James Cameron will have to be told in a gentle tone that human toilets and AED units will have to be located inside the world of pandora. I'm sure he will have some amazing ideas and input though.

lazyboy97o

Well yes, but the parks are no longer built by film guys they are built by theme park guys who must abide by code, modern techniques, next gen, marketing requests etc. James Cameron will have to be told in a gentle tone that human toilets and AED units will have to be located inside the world of pandora. I'm sure he will have some amazing ideas and input though.
The film guys who rode helm on the Wizarding World of Harry Potter seem to have done just fine.

articos

If Jim doesn't like where things are going, he doesn't need to do anything other than make a phone call and say "Stop." With someone of his stature, a la J.K. Rowling, and it's their property, you want to make them happy, while they want to make sure it gets built. It's always a give and take, but there is a mutual goal that everyone's working towards.

In the case of HP, the film's production designer led the team of themed entertainment designers. It was a team effort, where the movie folks designed what they knew, and the theme park folks came in and fleshed out what they knew. For HP, the theme park guys had to add more dimension to the drawings, as the film guys are used to only designing what the camera sees and nothing more. There are some spectacular vista shots that are the equivalent of "long shots" or establishing shots as you walk in to the land - try to walk in to WW at dusk or dark and round that corner to see Hogwarts and NOT have your breath taken away, I dare you. That's Stuart Craig's influence, seeing the shot from the eye of a tracking camera and getting a reveal that the theme park guys wouldn't normally think of. And all that wonderful detail and seeing the sides and backs of the buildings along with the scale of the village is the theme park designers at their best. It's the combination of the two that made magic. Imagineering and WED were originally all film guys. Now, there's still some cross-over between film and theme park in the California crowd, less so in the Florida teams. But when you have the top people in each coming together, it creates magic.

Scale models are part of the process in creating a working medium to show what is to be built. It's physical, cost-effective and malleable. Carsland had both a CGI pre-viz and a scale model built. Each serves a purpose. Imagineering and Universal Creative have the latest tech at their disposal, like 3D printers, and also more traditional methods: model makers, artists and CGI. WDI actually showed the DISH in one of the DisneyParks blogs recently. It's one of the more advanced ways of visualizing places, attractions or lands in a 3D virtual environment. It started as an R&D experiment that you may recognize yielded an attraction at DisneyQuest in the early days, and has been worked on more and more to become the CAVE environment it is today, with help from Pixar, R&D, the studio and Digital group, among others.

Bairstow

i hope so...LOTR is a home run franchise to model a theme park land

Is it though?
I think about the iconic parts of the movie series and the most iconic parts are either character based, huge vistas of New Zealand, or really unpleasant (Battle of the Hornburg, Mines of Moria, etc) to the extent that either they wouldn't work on a theme park scale or if they did they would be confined to specific sequences of intense dark rides. Would building a version of Rivendell or Lothlórien even be feasible on the scale they have to work with?

WED99

Speaking of scale models.... I saw the New Fantasyland model the other day in One Man's Dream...it was nice, but I noticed they're all in sections about 1x1 meter.

I've also been researching 3D Printing lately and found there is now a large format 3D printer that could print out some really nice models....the Objet 1000 (Prints 1000mmx 800mm x 650mm)

Objet1000.jpg

This won't do full color I don't believe, but the models could be really in-depth and detailed, and printed within a day for each section.
I'm not sure what your implying by mentioning the printer but I assume you mean WDI should use it for models. The thing is, they already do :p ALOT of the new models are done this way!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm not sure what your implying by mentioning the printer but I assume you mean WDI should use it for models. The thing is, they already do :p ALOT of the new models are done this way!

Ah, well the fantasyland model didn't appear to be, with the flat trees, etc.

twebber55

Is it though?
I think about the iconic parts of the movie series and the most iconic parts are either character based, huge vistas of New Zealand, or really unpleasant (Battle of the Hornburg, Mines of Moria, etc) to the extent that either they wouldn't work on a theme park scale or if they did they would be confined to specific sequences of intense dark rides. Would building a version of Rivendell or Lothlórien even be feasible on the scale they have to work with?
the shire and mordor would be pretty easy to create

thats one of the reasons why im a huge fan of an avatar land because i think it translates incredibly well into a theme park

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom