The Duck

I have never seen LotR but from what I can tell, it would require a ton of space! Could it fit in IOA?
No problem. Just build a Gollum M&G along with a 10,000 sq ft gift shop and you're in business! Oh... Wait a minute. You said IOA, right? Well then, Universal would probably build something really cool.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Aha! A clearer photo of the model!

image.jpg

Captain Neo

Back on topic.

I'm a bit concerned that they still are in "early" development. In general, they often claim attractions take up to 5 years from blue sky to completion. By now, I'd hope that final decisions are being made and that by middle of 2013 contract bids start going out and construction starts by end of 2013 as was first announced.

Hopefully by 2013 D23 meet something of real substance will be shown. I am intrigued that Mr. Vaughn noted "who wouldn't want to ride on a Banshee". Could that indicate that the coaster ride is in fact back in the plans. Visually, I think this land has a lot of potential. Hopefully the attraction mix they finally decide on also has a nice mix of family friendly rides and thrills.

you would be riding a banshee in the "soarin 2.0" ride

SirLink

Equitorial Africa. EPCOT Center. 1983.
Good job they kept if safely for 30 years!

So not far off what I originally stated ;)

After looking at the photo of James Cameron,is it me - or does he look really ticked off - like Joe Rohde has just told them the ambition of the original plan had been cut again.

misterID

1) Water ride overkill. 3 in a row is redundant.
2) Cheap/temporary theme. They cheaped out at the last minute and lost Looney Toons. Had to scrape up every bottom of the barrel toon they could find.
3) Dudley was not supposed to be an opening day attraction, but they thought they needed the capacity and fast-tracked it forsaking the proper theming it was due to get.
4) It's a poorly laid out land.
5) It has no business being in a Universal/Disney caliber theme park. Maybe Nara Dreamland...maybe.

There's a pretty nice Madagascar attraction that could go there. And it's a water based ride! :)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So not far off what I originally stated ;)

After looking at the photo of James Cameron,is it me - or does he look really ticked off - like Joe Rohde has just told them the ambition of the original plan had been cut again.

Could just be gas... or maybe they just went around the room and everyone else admitted they hadn't even seen Avatar;)

twebber55

to me the picture shows more than you think...those pictures in the background with the magnetic rockwork look like concept art and very well could be apart of pandora

mikeb1967

Hey Folks. It's laughable to me that Disney is making a presentation to a man who has been a trailblazer in CGI, extreme special effects and the most immerse 3D ever with a scale model. Don't get me wrong i love scale model making but is this really impressing the guy? Seems to me that you could more effectively explore development possibilities with CG 3D animation in a virtual environment than a scale model. Maybe they are further ahead than we know and this is a close-to-finished model of the land. Heck, i was hoping it was cancelled and a Lucasland project was gonna take its place. I would like to see Cameron get his land, but I dont really see the fan base to propel it into the future like the Star Wars universe. Same old discussion i guess. Maybe we will get both plus Carsland.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Speaking of scale models.... I saw the New Fantasyland model the other day in One Man's Dream...it was nice, but I noticed they're all in sections about 1x1 meter.

I've also been researching 3D Printing lately and found there is now a large format 3D printer that could print out some really nice models....the Objet 1000 (Prints 1000mmx 800mm x 650mm)

Objet1000.jpg

This won't do full color I don't believe, but the models could be really in-depth and detailed, and printed within a day for each section.

stevehousse

I'm sure they will end up doing the 3D cgi immersion model they used to create carsland that I saw in a making of video once things are more finalized to really go in depth and see the lay of the land. This photo is probably an older photo and not new...that's probably just one of the many mini models they have built for this thing.

NoChesterHester

It is an impressive green model of nothingness. This shot is obviously very deliberate and it wouldn't surprise meat all to learn that they removed the scale buildings right before this shot was taken.

RandySavage

to me the picture shows more than you think...those pictures in the background with the magnetic rockwork look like concept art and very well could be apart of pandora

Nice catch. That curving rock formation is now looking to me to be part of the model (as noted above, models are made of separable sections) and the execs are standing between two sections for the press shot. There are clearer pics on disneyandmore. The rock dome is slightly different than the version from the film and you can almost see rods holding the "floating" sections in place, and the glare on the bended edge of the painted sky background doesn't appear to be on it.

wedenterprises

Hey Folks. It's laughable to me that Disney is making a presentation to a man who has been a trailblazer in CGI, extreme special effects and the most immerse 3D ever with a scale model. Don't get me wrong i love scale model making but is this really impressing the guy? Seems to me that you could more effectively explore development possibilities with CG 3D animation in a virtual environment than a scale model. Maybe they are further ahead than we know and this is a close-to-finished model of the land. Heck, i was hoping it was cancelled and a Lucasland project was gonna take its place. I would like to see Cameron get his land, but I dont really see the fan base to propel it into the future like the Star Wars universe. Same old discussion i guess. Maybe we will get both plus Carsland.

A lot of education has to occur. James Cameron is a movie guy, not a theme park guy.

celluloid

Yeah, since this is going to have to work in a practical environment, it would not be best to view everything in CG just for the sake of it because it would not be beneficial to discover what works and does not work like a Scale Model does. Nothing beats a Scale Model still.

Patricia Melton

Okay, I've only seen Avatar once and don't plan on watching it again...but I don't remember anything in it that looks like those giant ribs/bones that they have as a mountain in this model. I remember floating mountains that had waterfalls falling down and the mountains were held together with vines. The mountains floated because they had the magical element "unobtanium" in them.

Was there a part of Avatar that had a giant rib cage/bones area? This reminds me of the elephant graveyard the hyenas lived in for Lion King.

Not sure what to make of any of this.

But, James Cameron is a perfectionist. He will go to court and use loopholes in the contract to stop construction if he thinks what Disney is building is not his "vision". From what I understand Cameron gets into lawsuits a lot and is very perfectionist in things he does...so that does not add-up if people think he's suddenly going to allow something lackluster to be built with his "Avatar" brand.

Cameron has been obsessed with Avatar for many years. I don't think he'll just let Disney do what they want with it and make a giant ribcage/boneyard mountain thing.

twebber55

Okay, I've only seen Avatar once and don't plan on watching it again...but I don't remember anything in it that looks like those giant ribs/bones that they have as a mountain in this model. I remember floating mountains that had waterfalls falling down and the mountains were held together with vines. The mountains floated because they had the magical element "unobtanium" in them.

Was there a part of Avatar that had a giant rib cage/bones area? This reminds me of the elephant graveyard the hyenas lived in for Lion King.

Not sure what to make of any of this.

But, James Cameron is a perfectionist. He will go to court and use loopholes in the contract to stop construction if he thinks what Disney is building is not his "vision". From what I understand Cameron gets into lawsuits a lot and is very perfectionist in things he does...so that does not add-up if people think he's suddenly going to allow something lackluster to be built with his "Avatar" brand.

Cameron has been obsessed with Avatar for many years. I don't think he'll just let Disney do what they want with it and make a giant ribcage/boneyard mountain thing.
yep those circular bones or whatever they are are in the movie

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom