CinematicFusion

I agree. I think over the last few years Lucas' mentality has changed because of the negative reaction from the public to the prequels and to his tinkering with the original films to such an extent that now he is happy to sign off on things that not so long ago he might have wanted a lot of involvement in.

Lucas changed after his divorce when Return of the Jedi completed. He was never the same. Before the divorce, he put his heart and soul into all his projects. After that, he creates Temple of Doom, and has a scene where someone's heart is ripped out...because that was how he was feeling at the time.

He adopted kids and was never the same filmmaker. Willow, Radioland Murders, Red tails, Crystal Skull, Star Wars Prequels never had that same magic as the original Raiders, Star Wars trilogy, American graffitti or even his art house THX-1138.
He balanced his personal life with filmmaking and the movies after the divorce while still solid with moments of greatness... never captured the magic. It is hard to do both in this world.
Phantom menace would be a different movie if Lucas at age 30 wrote and directed as opposed to Lucas at age 50 with a 5 year old son.
My opinion only, but the divorce really changed his direction and how much time he devoted to making a movie.

Jim Possible

Did you see the last Indy movie? (Crystal Skull)
Should be last in more ways than one, do not see movies that bad too often.

Well, OK, I'll give you that one. Crystal Skull wasn't so hot. ;)

Still, those franchises have stood the test of time. Not sure if Avatar will as well, or if it'll go the way of The Matrix -- a popular first entry followed up with two [unnecessary IMHO] franchise killing sequels.

I think Disney would be better served to spend billions having Imagineering build a time machine, then go back and nab Potter. ;)

PirateFrank

Lucas changed after his divorce when Return of the Jedi completed. He was never the same. Before the divorce, he put his heart and soul into all his projects. After that, he creates Temple of Doom, and has a scene where someone's heart is ripped out...because that was how he was feeling at the time.

He adopted kids and was never the same filmmaker. Willow, Radioland Murders, Red tails, Crystal Skull, Star Wars Prequels never had that same magic as the original Raiders, Star Wars trilogy, American graffitti or even his art house THX-1138.
He balanced his personal life with filmmaking and the movies after the divorce while still solid with moments of greatness... never captured the magic. It is hard to do both in this world.
Phantom menace would be a different movie if Lucas at age 30 wrote and directed as opposed to Lucas at age 50 with a 5 year old son.
My opinion only, but the divorce really changed his direction and how much time he devoted to making a movie.

Wow...well said. Never thought of it in those terms..,and it makes a great deal of sense.

WDWFREAK53

Well, OK, I'll give you that one. Crystal Skull wasn't so hot. ;)

Still, those franchises have stood the test of time. Not sure if Avatar will as well, or if it'll go the way of The Matrix -- a popular first entry followed up with two [unnecessary IMHO] franchise killing sequels.

I think Disney would be better served to spend billions having Imagineering build a time machine, then go back and nab Potter. ;)

I see people saying that they want Mysterious Island now that Avatar is "on hold."
On the flipside, I see people saying that they don't want Carsland in DHS because they want it unique to DCA.

Why is it ok for MI to be cloned but not Carsland?

I, personally, would like to see DAK get a new land that the Imagineers can really flex their imagination with much like they did with Mysterious Island. I don't want Mysterious Island, but I'd like them to go through the same steps that created Mysterious Island and give us something completely new and unique.

Why can't they do something similar to Avatar but have it Earth based?

A mythological land doesn't just need to be dragons and unicorns. Why not have the glowing plants, "living" environment with mythological creatures. Dragons can still be there, living in caves...just not ravaging a castle. I'd prefer to have a group of dragons that live in a volcano and as you venture through this horrific ride, at the end you find out that the entire time, they were just protecting a group of babies. (Showcasing that even the most ferocious of animals only due so because of their instincts). I'd also love an attraction/show that involves the Phoenix and how it can rise from the ashes...and a gryphon. Even have an undersea area with Atlantis and some of the "mythological creatures of the deep." Could be a twist on the 20K ride at TDS (without a 20K overlay). I don't mind cloning ride technologies as long as the experiences are completely different.

WDWFREAK53

I say go for it.
As does my avatar.

Do anyone but internet fanboys actually care about similar ride systems existing in adjacent parks?

What about in adjacent lands? LOL
I mean, Pirates and IASW basically have the same ride system, as did Snow White and Toad.
It seems that it's ok as long as it's not NEW ride technology hehe.

Jim Possible

I, personally, would like to see DAK get a new land that the Imagineers can really flex their imagination with much like they did with Mysterious Island. I don't want Mysterious Island, but I'd like them to go through the same steps that created Mysterious Island and give us something completely new and unique.

Why can't they do something similar to Avatar but have it Earth based?

A mythological land doesn't just need to be dragons and unicorns. Why not have the glowing plants, "living" environment with mythological creatures.

But that would be an original Imagineering creation, and I've heard those are frowned upon. It needs to be based on an existing IP to be successful. ;) </sarcasm>

Actually -- I'm with you 110%. I'd like to see Disney try out some new, original concepts and characters exclusive to the parks, and not just slap on some Pixar window dressing or whatnot. Disney doesn't need James Cameron's blessing to transport guests to another world -- they can do it now. They've done it successfully in the past.

Ignohippo

I would disagree with that since he has brought on a very competant successor in Kathleen Kennedy.

And he's never going to truly step away. He just wants to get out of the day to day operations of LucasFilm. Trust me, he's still in charge.

Kathleen Kennedy actually has the smarts to take LucasFilm to an entirely different level. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see her build LF into a very successful film studio.

Btw, Lucas was at Celebration VI last weekend for a brief time. Doesn't sound to me like someone who's really 100% retired.

TikiTorch

If Avatar is really on indefinite hold, would they still shut down that entire area of the park? Posters on this and other threads have been saying recently that CMs have been telling them that those plans are still going forward. But for what reason?

tomman710

It would be pretty funny if they put in JTTCotE and RSR

Could they save money on a two for the price of one ride system?

Ooo I hear TDO's brains working ... wait nevermind, that wasn't it ... that was their inner office shredder shredding through WDI attraction proposals.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
And he's never going to truly step away. He just wants to get out of the day to day operations of LucasFilm. Trust me, he's still in charge.

Kathleen Kennedy actually has the smarts to take LucasFilm to an entirely different level. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see her build LF into a very successful film studio.

Btw, Lucas was at Celebration VI last weekend for a brief time. Doesn't sound to me like someone who's really 100% retired.

I agree Lucas will always have some involvement in LucasFilm, but I doubt Kennedy would have taken the position to just be a "yes woman" for Lucas. I am actually curious why she took this position when she already had a production company that she founded and ran with her husband which has had some pretty successful movies.

Ignohippo

I agree Lucas will always have some involvement in LucasFilm, but I doubt Kennedy would have taken the position to just be a "yes woman" for Lucas. I am actually curious why she took this position when she already had a production company that she founded and ran with her husband which has had some pretty successful movies.

She's actually co-chair WITH Lucas. She's definitely not a yes woman, but George will always have the final say.

I'm sure the opportunity to basically be able to start a new studio with the cash behind it of LucasFilm has to be pretty appealing.

Interesting that she was the producer of the Studio Ghibli films. Could the Disney connection have something to do with it? Time will tell.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
She's actually co-chair WITH Lucas. She's definitely not a yes woman, but George will always have the final say.

I'm sure the opportunity to basically be able to start a new studio with the cash behind it of LucasFilm has to be pretty appealing.

Interesting that she was the producer of the Studio Ghibli films. Could the Disney connection have something to do with it? Time will tell.

She is co-chair at the moment, but the intention is that she will take over the position eventually.

Kuhio

Lucas changed after his divorce when Return of the Jedi completed. He was never the same. Before the divorce, he put his heart and soul into all his projects. After that, he creates Temple of Doom, and has a scene where someone's heart is ripped out...because that was how he was feeling at the time. ...
I think we all would be better served for Disney to spend billions having Imagineering build a time machine, then go back and prevent George Lucas from getting divorced.

Kuhio

Actually -- I'm with you 110%. I'd like to see Disney try out some new, original concepts and characters exclusive to the parks, and not just slap on some Pixar window dressing or whatnot. Disney doesn't need James Cameron's blessing to transport guests to another world -- they can do it now. They've done it successfully in the past.

They're doing it successfully now... just not in the U.S. parks, unfortunately. (Have you seen the plans and models for Mystic Manor, coming to HKDL next year?)

doctornick

Wouldn't it be cheaper and better received to put in JTTCotE? It just seems like such a no brainer to go in DAK.

Question: I know a lot of people are pulling for JttCotE (and Mysterious Island in general) for DAK -- and they look great so I'm down with it -- but how does it really fit into the theme of DAK? I haven't been to Tokyo, only read the descriptions, but it doesn't seem like a great fit to me, but people talk about it like it is.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Question: I know a lot of people are pulling for JttCotE (and Mysterious Island in general) for DAK -- and they look great so I'm down with it -- but how does it really fit into the theme of DAK? I haven't been to Tokyo, only read the descriptions, but it doesn't seem like a great fit to me, but people talk about it like it is.
It isn't. What was proposed was a clone of the ride system and layout with an alternate theme more suited to DAK. 20k would have been very similar to TDS and possibly not rideable from day one.

The MyI name really is just used in lieu of a proper description.

jt04

Sorry Lee, spirit and unthinking pessimists but its 'game over' for your hustle.....

(from Screamscape)

2015/2016 - PANDORA - The World of Avatar - Confirmed - (9/7/12) Despite the rumor from IGN claiming that the Avatar project may have hit a speed bump, local sources say that the early prep work projects are moving full steam ahead, with deadlines to keep.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

~and light years to go before they sleep~

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom