luv

Land was Prepped in part for MI. Won't mean a thing until things go vertical.

Still expect FOTLK to close though.
Close or relocate? Why close the best show in all of WDW if you don't have to do it?

I just don't see why they'd do that.

yensidtlaw1969

It isn't. What was proposed was a clone of the ride system and layout with an alternate theme more suited to DAK. 20k would have been very similar to TDS and possibly not rideable from day one.

The MyI name really is just used in lieu of a proper description.
Any word on what that more suitable theme would have been? This expansion idea is one we've never heard that much about besides that it was being considered for Camp Minnie Mickey. I'd love to know more about what they had up their sleeves (and whether it's still under consideration at all!). Anything you can share, Martin?

AndyMagic

Depends on your definition of relocate if it means having a new home that isn't built yet.

Not that I'm a huge fan of FOTLK but why would they close it without having a new location built and ready to go? The park has few attractions as it is. Unless a project is fast tracked and they need the land it currently occupies right away, I don't see why they would be so foolish.

AndyMagic

Any word on what that more suitable theme would have been? This expansion idea is one we've never heard that much about besides that it was being considered for Camp Minnie Mickey. I'd love to know more about what they had up their sleeves (and whether it's still under consideration at all!). Anything you can share, Martin?
I know this has nothing to do with reality but I've always secretly hoped the next land to be built at Animal Kingdom would be Australia. It fits with Africa and Asia perfectly since it is an exotic location that few people in the United States get to visit. It also has its own distinct culture with animals that people recognize and associate with the continent. The possibilities are endless. Was this ever actually considered or was it just baseless rumors back in the day that brought up Australia?

djlaosc

I don't know if this is what would have actually happened, or whether this is what people just thought would happen, but was at least one of the changes that the "lava monster" would be replaced by a dragon? I would guess that some of the other creatures in the ride would also be replaced by other "mythical creatures"

yensidtlaw1969

Not that I'm a huge fan of FOTLK but why would they close it without having a new location built and ready to go? The park has few attractions as it is. Unless a project is fast tracked and they need the land it currently occupies right away, I don't see why they would be so foolish.
The only reason I can think of is that you can save a couple bucks by not playing the show at all for a little while . . . actors, technicians, gymnasts can all be off your payroll for a little while. But that can't actually be why they're doing that, right?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don't know if this is what would have actually happened, or whether this is what people just thought would happen, but was at least one of the changes that the "lava monster" would be replaced by a dragon? I would guess that some of the other creatures in the ride would also be replaced by other "mythical creatures"
I don't know if it was Dragons, but the monster would have been unique to DAK and it's mythical third that is still on park logos but not actually represented. No lava monster, no mountain range like TDS has.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I agree. I have no idea ATM.

djlaosc

I don't know if it was Dragons, but the monster would have been unique to DAK and it's mythical third that is still on park logos but not actually represented. No lava monster, no mountain range like TDS has.

As I said, I couldn't remember whether someone said that it "would" be a dragon, "should" be a dragon, or "could" be a dragon! It would have been a while ago that it was said - back when I was still lurking!

That's another thing that I couldn't remember - whether it would be in a "mountain", a "volcano" or something else...

Whatever it would be, I'm sure that I would have enjoyed it!

luv

Depends on your definition of relocate if it means having a new home that isn't built yet.
Not my definition.

I could see shutting in down in one spot to re-open immediately (or very quickly) in another. But just shutting it down because there are plans to open somewhere else at some nebulous point in the future...

Sounds more like a cutback than a relocation.

I hope they don't do that. I hope they're going to build it a home before they shut it down. There is still time for that.

RSoxNo1

It isn't. What was proposed was a clone of the ride system and layout with an alternate theme more suited to DAK. 20k would have been very similar to TDS and possibly not rideable from day one.

The MyI name really is just used in lieu of a proper description.
Possibly not rideable from day one? What do you mean by this?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Not to be the eternal pessimist, but I feel it's safe to assume that a ride system would never come later.
There was always that worry. As I understood, JTTCOTE would open with theme changes. 20k may have come cloned, may have come with shows scenes cloned to walk through, or have just been left as empty space for a phase two.

jt04

i love your optimism but my only concern would be with disney...wouldnt you think they would come out and refute all the internet rumor

That is what all this uproar from some is designed to do. At least that is part of it. If Disney started reacting to every dust up on WDWMagic that is all they would be doing. The mouse is smart. Personally I think we will see more info AFTER Uni releases Potter 2 info. The two resorts seem locked in a stand-off and neither seems inclined to blink.

I have another theory about all the controversy. I think there are certain individuals who are on the inside of this project looking out. And others (represented heavily here) who are on the outside looking in. What we are seeing is a turf war played out with hidden agendas and motivations.

IMO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom