Anyone else hate what they did to "Pirates of the Caribbean"

cmatt

how long IS pirates marni - obviously not the 60 - 80 ft reported by op... but out of curiosity and al all that..

imagineer boy

I absolutly love the update! I think they did the movie tie-ins very tastefully without dirupting the classic feel of the attraction.

Besides, with today's management be thankful it wasn't a whole lot worse.

I was actually surprised that they were as subtle with the new POTC as they are being. Look at the popularity of the movies. There was a huge chance that they were going to completely overhaul the ride and kill it with movie stuff, but they didn't. A few new figures, some new audio, and a bit of a plot twist. Almost all of the iconic scenes are still there.

The skeleton captain at the wheel during the storm. The pirates attacking the fort. The 'mayor' (or whoever) being almost drowned in the well. The "Buy a Bride" wench auction. Very few of the scenes seem that different, really. I was thrilled by the changes.

sweetpee_1993

Initially I had some mixed feelings on POTC following the updates to incorporate Cap'n Jack. I walked into it on a tainted note. I noticed right away as we entered that the "barker" parrot out front was removed. Big **ouch** for me because standing beneath the parrot for a pic was one of those sentimental things that we did every trip for posterity starting when I was a toddler. The ride itself with the additional AAs I liked because it brought more relevance to another generation. I could appreciate that as well as the quality of said AAs. Also, I like that where they added them they are closer to where the boats pass so you really do get a good look at them while the other less-technical AAs aren't detracted from. Overall I feel they were a good addition.

I think I was more irked by the parrot being relocated and the politically correct corrections that previously took place. Anything being changed just to be more pc always rubs my rebel side the wrong way. LOL!

-----

And, hey gang! Try to take it a little easy on someone who speaks figuratively. It's not the end of the world. I, personally, say stuff all the time like "for the bazillionth time" etc. knowing full well whatever it was hasn't occurred that many times. Just sayin.... :wave:

The Empress Lilly

I'm sorry if this has already been covered...

Pirates has always been one of my favorite rides, but for some reason, they had to replace the original ride with one based on the movie which was based on the ride. Confusing, isn't it?

They added too many anamatronic Johnny Depp figures, I counted about 3-4 of them. They also had new voice recordings, such as "hand over cap'n Jack Sparrow" and a hologram of Davey Jones.

It was just really upsetting seeing the king tied to the throne at the end of the rid replaced with a drunken Johnny Depp. One or two Johnny Depp figures/references would have been fine, but this was too much. I will probably never ride again.
I know exactly what you mean and I fully agree.

A classic, original attraction that transported guests into an imaginary world is now about celebrity spotting.

I thought the movies were okay. But they didn't really excite me either. Most worrying, was that the movies and ride feel like different worlds to me. The two clash when combined, a bit like putting a Star Wars X-wing spacecraft in space Mountain. Yes both are spaceships and an x-wing is excting to see, but the magic spell of the imaginary world is broken.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
No, I'm not trolling. I'm voicing my opinion on a ride in a theme park that my family has spent thousands of dollars at. If you like the ride, good for you. This is a thread for people that miss the old one.
I thought it was tastefully done.

Welcome to the 21st century PotC with your new AA's. Sorry, totally disagree with you.

PirateFrank

I will probably never ride again.

Your loss. The 3 (soon to be 4) pirates movies are one of disney's most successful action franchises...and frankly, the best of the 're-imagined' attractions in the parks. They've left enough of the original, but injected some great new animatronics.....

In fact, the Barbosa figure on the pirate ship (the one you complain about) is my favorite part of the new ride. My favorite character in the potc movies and they did a fantastic job of slipping him into the ride without ruining it.

Want to complain about a change that ruined things, complain about HISTA.....I couldn't imagine that they could make that attraction worse, until they replaced it with EO.
vomit-smiley-31.gif

Mr Toad

I don't like Capt Jack in the ride personally (I don't like the movies either for that matter), but it doesn't stop me from riding PoTC and enjoying it :lol:!!!

mike10

I could be wrong here but wasn't it like 20 or 30 years ago they had to change the POTC because it had women being hung or traded or something like that.

Well from the story I heard woman's groups made a complaint about it and Disney ended up changing it to where it was women outsmarting men or something like that. Then no one complaint about it.

Anyways that's how I heard the story went wither it's true or not is a different story I just know I've heard of people on here going since the 80s and was wondering if they knew the whole story behind it or was it all BS.

voodoo321

I know exactly what you mean and I fully agree.

A classic, original attraction that transported guests into an imaginary world is now about celebrity spotting.

I thought the movies were okay. But they didn't really excite me either. Most worrying, was that the movies and ride feel like different worlds to me. The two clash when combined, a bit like putting a Star Wars X-wing spacecraft in space Mountain. Yes both are spaceships and an x-wing is excting to see, but the magic spell of the imaginary world is broken.

very well said! My favorite elements of a theme park are to transport me to another world. I'm finding less of that these days, though Disney keeps me coming back. Cartoon tie-ins don't usually conflict with that(unless they are shoehorned in) but putting a likeness of an actor in a ride that used to epitomise the afore mentioned transportation, shatters the whole feeling/illusion. That would be fine in DHS but not in the MK. I don't hate it but it's not the same to me on that level.

I think everyone is being a little harsh with the attacks on the OP. Who exactly is being the troll here.

Animaniac93-98

I prefer the ride now.

7 A100 figures, better chase scene, music in the bombardment, improved music in the cavers, no talking skull, better lighting and audio, Davy Jones projection etc. Along with Auction, Old Bill, Burning Town and Jail scenes remaining unchanged.

Only two criticisms are the captain's dialogue in the well scene and not having the Wicked Wench be the Black Pearl (and that's one thing you apparently can't blame on TDO).

gwhb75

I could be wrong here but wasn't it like 20 or 30 years ago they had to change the POTC because it had women being hung or traded or something like that.

Well from the story I heard woman's groups made a complaint about it and Disney ended up changing it to where it was women outsmarting men or something like that. Then no one complaint about it.

Anyways that's how I heard the story went wither it's true or not is a different story I just know I've heard of people on here going since the 80s and was wondering if they knew the whole story behind it or was it all BS.

While I'm sure some groups have complained, the scene with the women being "traded" is still there, so that wasn't the reason for the refurb/upgrade.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

No, it was in the burning village scene...it used to be the men chasing the women, and some stupid women's groups with nothing better to do, decided to complain about it...so Disney decided to put the women chasing the men with brooms, etc.

As far as the changes, I don't mind Jack Sparrow showing up, as much as the audio through much of it that only refers to finding "Captain Jack Sparrow"...they could have made it a bit more subtle.

Other than that, no problems...when all of the effects work (Davy Jones)

lazyboy97o

I was very excited about the changes, and ultimately very disappointed. Three jack Sparrow's are two too many. Why is the town helping Sparrow steal their treasure? It could have been so nicely done, with the crew of the Black Pearl stealing the cursed treasure in a series of vignettes, but no, it now all focuses on Sparrow and makes no sense in the meantime.

blm07

I don't care much for it either. The changes I think are fine: the new cave music (though I miss the original music), and Jack at the dunking scene. I don't like how they changed the dialog of the ship captain and the dunking scene. The foggy octopus guy effect is cool, but I can't understand a blasted word it says.... so yay? I don't like Jack at the end cause I'm not a fan of removing something and putting in less. I don't like how they removed the bird and skull, just classic MK stuff is now gone.... replaced with nothing.

The things I'm impartial too: new lighting (I can't tell a difference), Jack in the barrel (that doesn't bother me), new music at the ship battle (nothing was there before, so that's fine).

And don't hate on the OP just because he doesn't know how many Jacks there are, he was obviously disgusted with the changes, why should he keep track of them?

MillerPoppins

Being a HUGE fan of POTC since my first trip at the age of 7, I was also skeptical of the changes. However, I am a fan of what they did. As others have said, they left so much of the original ride and just added Johnny in. They could have redone the entire story and change the layout. But they didn't and I love that. Davy Jones is awesome to see and it's just enough of the movie tied in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom