Anyone else hate what they did to "Pirates of the Caribbean"

gerryu21220

That would not have worked because he would have no context.

That's something that bothers me... Who says he (Captain Jack) has to have any context in the attraction beyond simply being a Pirate? Why does there have to be a full-blown storyline? Honestly, I never knew there was any sort of storyline. Never thought about it until recent years of reading about the POTC attraction. Just Pirates plundering a town. That's about as much of a story as I got from it. It doesn't need to make any more sense than that. Each vignette tells its own little story with no real bearing on subsequent vignettes. (Well, they were that way until the additional spiel about finding treasure and the whereabouts of Captain Jack materialized.)

Hmm, that sounds just like another very popular attraction: The Haunted Mansion.

It bothers me when people simply must find a continuous storyline or (now) add in a storyline that ties everything together in either HM or POTC. It was never necessary. What ties everything together is the theming. Everything needs to fit within the theme. Nothing more than that. Just sit back and enjoy!

Krack

I neither like nor dislike the Johnny Depp changes. Generally I dislike (aka "hate vehemently") the "characterization" of a ride (Nemo, Small World, SGE, New Tiki Room) - but as far as changes go, this one was relatively tame. The only part I hate is the Davy Jones projection because it adds a "supernatural" element to a ride where it doesn't exist anywhere else. It seems really out of place. It has become one of those special effects that I hope breaks because we all know they'll never get around to fixing it once it goes.

HMF

That's something that bothers me... Who says he (Captain Jack) has to have any context in the attraction beyond simply being a Pirate? Why does there have to be a full-blown storyline? Honestly, I never knew there was any sort of storyline. Never thought about it until recent years of reading about the POTC attraction. Just Pirates plundering a town. That's about as much of a story as I got from it. It doesn't need to make any more sense than that. Each vignette tells its own little story with no real bearing on subsequent vignettes. (Well, they were that way until the additional spiel about finding treasure and the whereabouts of Captain Jack materialized.)

Hmm, that sounds just like another very popular attraction: The Haunted Mansion.

It bothers me when people simply must find a continuous storyline or (now) add in a storyline that ties everything together in either HM or POTC. It was never necessary. What ties everything together is the theming. Everything needs to fit within the theme. Nothing more than that. Just sit back and enjoy!
I hear ya!:(

Wilt Dasney

Agreed in full. To me, the best attractions give you just enough details to let you make up your own story. In that sense, the Captain Jack additions do try to impose a more linear narrative on the ride than what had existed...but thankfully it's still a rather loose "story."

The Empress Lilly

There is a very elaborate story to BTMMR. I never knew about it, and never needed it.

Backstories are for the imagineers. Like Star Wars, or Lord of the Rings, you need them to create 'depth' in a fantastical setting, to have a sense of place, of identity, of purpose.

They are most often best not converted into fully explained, narrative stories in a theme park attraction.
(No, I am not trying to find some person/cartoon/elephant who's gone missing. I am not interested in helping you find him either. I am just sitting passively in a moving vehicle following a set track, thank you very much)

MarkTwain

Meh, the Pirates tie-ins don't bother me much. In fact, for what it is, I'd say the makeover was actually pretty successful. The people who don't know anything about Disney park history get to see Jack Sparrow, while I find it pretty easy to just ignore him. ;) :D

Some parts I like though. The Wicked Wench room is much improved with the soundtrack and increased water effects, although I do miss the original captain. And the Davy Jones segment is a pretty cool effect, even though it doesn't make sense in the overall story. And I really like the deeply atmospheric music in the "Dead Men Tell No Tales" caverns.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom