Anyone else hate what they did to "Pirates of the Caribbean"

Wilt Dasney

I'll be PO'ed when it becomes Pirates of the Mediterranean or something lol.
Imagineers might have preferred that actually. The reason PotC wasn't an opening day attraction at WDW was the fear that the Caribbean was too close to interest visitors to Florida as a ride theme. A ride about Greek pirates probably would have had a better chance of opening with the park. :lol:

erasure fan1

I think the "new" Pirates is a textbook example of how to correctly update a classic attraction. Very well done.
I agree, I was a bit concerned but as soon as I rode it I was sold. I think everything they did was very well done. The majority of the ride is the same so it still has the same overall feel to me.

Ellen Ripley

If they went back to the original ride soundtrack, I wouldn't have a problem with the changes. As it is now, I think something integral was lost in modifying the ride soundtrack.

Yankee Mouse

I don't care for the update. I'm just starting to get tired of Johnny Depp in general.

I agree. I am not a fan of the upgrade, it wasn't overkill so it won't stop me from riding and the AA look nice, but I wasn't a big fan of the movies and I certainly don't like johnny depp and I am also starting to get tired of him. Personally, I didn't even think he was the main character in the first one, he just kind of took it over. To me the main characters were Will and Elizabeth but I haven't seen it in a while. Now if they wanted to add some Keira Knightley AA I wouldn't mind.

FigmentJedi

Only thing that bugs me is how redundant the script is in places. Mostly the well, which isn't helped by how bad the new Well Captain voice is.

ddbowdoin

I just don't like the addition of jack sparrow, sure... excellent movie but no where near the types of timeless and classic items disney has created.

LaughingGravy

IMO, since WDW got the short end of the stick with the abbreviated version to begin with, it was OK to alter the ride and they did a very tasteful job.

I would have been fine with only one or two Jacks.

They should still bring back the parrot, though.

Mr. Morrow

IMO, since WDW got the short end of the stick with the abbreviated version to begin with, it was OK to alter the ride and they did a very tasteful job.

I would have been fine with only one or two Jacks.

They should still bring back the parrot, though.

Agreed I loved that parrot :D

Evil Genius

As PotC is my second favorite attraction behind the Haunted Mansion I was scared to death about the changes...

I loved them!

I think the enhanced lighting...audio, and integration of Jack Sparrow was done seamlessly! It really does meld two worlds together and I think is the best "plussing" WDW has probably ever accomplished.

whitney37354

We loved it and it was DH's favorite ride. We rode all our favorites twice. We had nothing to compare it to since it was our first trip. We all left WDW with a POTC t-shirt, DH got a cap, & DD has pirate Mickey ears & a POTC playset, so it must still be okay!

CoffeeJedi

Personally, I'm not really a fan, the story changes detract from the original ride. The upgraded sound and lighting of course are fantastic, but I would have been much happier if WDI installed a single Jack Sparrow AA in the jail scene and left it at that.

Odd that you should bring this up, Foxxfur just posted one of her always brilliant examinations, this time the WDW version of PotC.

http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/2010/06/case-for-florida-pirates.html

For those who like the change, read that post, ponder it, and really decide if adding those new figures makes the ride "better".
(also note, when she talks about the "original" attraction vs the "remake", she's referring to the DL vs MK versions, not the pre and post Bruckheimer versions)

lazyboy97o

For those who like the change, read that post, ponder it, and really decide if adding those new figures makes the ride "better".
But Jack Sparrow is "relevant" and they brought everything "full circle" with these changes.

Another issue with the Sparrow figures is their realism. Alone, they are very impressive but next to all of those caricatures, they are a stark contrast.

disneycouple07

Like what? What health restrictions?

When we rode last year, it had a health warning sign posted. Also on the WDW website, it states: "Certain rides, such as Buzz Lightyear's Astroblasters, CyberSpace Mountain, and Pirates of the Caribbean could pose risks for certain health conditions. For safety and comfort, you should be in good health and free from heart, back or neck problems, motion sickness, or other conditions that could be aggravated by these adventure. Check all games for health considerations before you participate." I don't remember any part of the ride being jerked around or intense drops.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom