Anyone else hate what they did to "Pirates of the Caribbean"

disney dharling

I like the ride both ways. I think it was a bit more subtle than The Enchanted Tiki Room. Now that one can change back any time. Zazu and Iago get annoying.

Kev1417

I think if it was up to some people we would still be left with the exact same park that opened such a long time ago, but then would complain Disney has all this new technology at their hands and doesn't want to use it. I don't think everyone LOVES the originals rides as much as they think. I think most people are in love with the memories those original rides gave them.

Who cares how many Capt'n Jacks there are? The movies were a HUGE hit, and Disney owns the rights to do whatever they want to their rides. You are on vacation so enjoy it. Don't stress about being at Disney. Would you rather be stuck at work behind the desk or riding the rides? And if you will never ride the ride again because of a few extra robots, then the line is shorter for me! :wave:

erasure fan1

For those who like the change, read that post, ponder it, and really decide if adding those new figures makes the ride "better".
(also note, when she talks about the "original" attraction vs the "remake", she's referring to the DL vs MK versions, not the pre and post Bruckheimer versions)
Read it, pondered it, and my decision is I still really like the changes. The article was very good though.

Crazy Harry

Well, I do and don't like the changes. I will preface my comments by saying that what I like and what I would prefer them to do are not suggestions that they should do or should have done anything different, simply my preference. That being said...

My main issues with the changes are that they do not all fit with the ride. For example, the new queue music does not fit at all IMO. Every other element of the attraction creates a spooky and mysterious ambiance, while the new music is too fast paced, suggesting a much more obvious and action packed adventure than what you are getting. I do like the projection of Davy Jones, but it too feels very out of place. I am not suggesting the movie elements have no part in the ride, but am suggesting that I would much prefer to see a new ride which fully utilizes the story of the movies rather than transposing an essentially new story to an existing attraction.

What I would have preferred to see is the movie characters fit to the story of the ride and not the ride fit to the story of the characters. What I mean by that is that I would have preferred it if the movie characters were now involved in the original story and not making the new story all about the new characters, mainly Jack Sparrow. For one, I think it would have been fun if Captain Jack was trapped in the dungeon in the queue area, and was interacting with the guests. He could have attempted to persuade a guest to help free him, and then you would see him in a few of the show scenes as an indication that someone did help him. He then could have been a part of the piratey shenanigans without being the center of them.

One more small gripe about the current version, I wish that the skeleton pirate was a little more visible. Every time I ride, it seems as though I have to concentrate really hard to see him because the lighting is too low. However, I definitely like the new sign out front. I do however miss the talking parrot.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
When we rode last year, it had a health warning sign posted. Also on the WDW website, it states: "Certain rides, such as Buzz Lightyear's Astroblasters, CyberSpace Mountain, and Pirates of the Caribbean could pose risks for certain health conditions. For safety and comfort, you should be in good health and free from heart, back or neck problems, motion sickness, or other conditions that could be aggravated by these adventure. Check all games for health considerations before you participate." I don't remember any part of the ride being jerked around or intense drops.

That's not referring to the MK ride, it's referring to the DisneyQuest attraction, like the other 2 mentioned, all are located in DisneyQuest

lazyboy97o

Who cares how many Capt'n Jacks there are? The movies were a HUGE hit, and Disney owns the rights to do whatever they want to their rides. You are on vacation so enjoy it. Don't stress about being at Disney. Would you rather be stuck at work behind the desk or riding the rides? And if you will never ride the ride again because of a few extra robots, then the line is shorter for me! :wave:
There are plenty of amusement parks around the country that are much cheaper to visit if I just want mindless distraction.

Lee

Adventurer
I love the changes.:D
Other than the A+ job they did with Mansion, Pirates is the best refurbishment ever done on property.

CoffeeJedi said:
The upgraded sound and lighting of course are fantastic
In Disneyland, yeah.
At MK, the sound and lighting were barely even touched.

Courtney1188

There are plenty of amusement parks around the country that are much cheaper to visit if I just want mindless distraction.

...not what they said at all. Yep, re-reading their post and don't see the words 'mindless distraction' in there anywhere. They were pretty much just saying that people complain too much about Disney and they should lighten up. It's fine if you want to argue with that point, but your response seemingly had nothing to do with what they actually said.

stlbobby

...not what they said at all. Yep, re-reading their post and don't see the words 'mindless distraction' in there anywhere. They were pretty much just saying that people complain too much about Disney and they should lighten up. It's fine if you want to argue with that point, but your response seemingly had nothing to do with what they actually said.

Are you saying that somebody didn't carefully read a post or thread before responding and their point wasn't really salient to the original argument? On an internet forum? Really? No? Not Possible!:lol:

BTW, I like how the incorporated Jack into the ride. I was skeptical, but I think they did a great job of updating it while keeping the spirit of the original version.

Kev1417

Thank You!!!! Geesh for being the Happiest Place on Earth people do get cranky thinking about it.

mp2bill

I'm sorry if this has already been covered...

Pirates has always been one of my favorite rides, but for some reason, they had to replace the original ride with one based on the movie which was based on the ride. Confusing, isn't it?

They added too many anamatronic Johnny Depp figures, I counted about 3-4 of them. They also had new voice recordings, such as "hand over cap'n Jack Sparrow" and a hologram of Davey Jones.

It was just really upsetting seeing the king tied to the throne at the end of the rid replaced with a drunken Johnny Depp. One or two Johnny Depp figures/references would have been fine, but this was too much. I will probably never ride again.

Didn't bother to read all 7 pages of posts, but here's my opinion. I don't like the ride any more than I used to (although I do like the projection of Davy Jones and the cannon blasts that go overhead in the battle scene...which I don't believe were there before), but the changes didn't make the ride any worse. I think you need the 4 Jack Sparrow AA's because there are 4 different scenes that require him to complete the story.

My wife does not like the ride now because of the drops...but that's just because she's a wuss. She wouldn't even like the last "drop" on SM (before the flumes get to the offload area) if that's all the ride was. Other than the drops though, she likes POTW.

Lastly, they changed the ride to include scenes from the movie because most young children don't know that the movie was based on the ride. They think it's the other way around.

lazyboy97o

The comment was to not think and just ride. That would be engaging in mindlessness. Disney has spent years setting itself apart from places where one just goes to ride the rides. Even today, with the emphasis on synergy and franchises, to just ride the rides would not be what Disney wants. They would like you to leave thinking positively about the franchises you encountered so as to continue to buy products with which it is associated.

Thank You!!!! Geesh for being the Happiest Place on Earth people do get cranky thinking about it.
Disneyland is the Happiest Place on Earth...

HMF

Point-by-point
changes to the plaza-I am OK with the POTC movie music. The sail marquee is cool but I think there should still be marquees on the actual building. Cloth banners look tacky and temporary. If they were going to replace Peg-Leg Pete they should have replaced him with something more impressive than just the movie logo with a banner saying
"Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates life for me" on it.
Queue-I think the POTC overture music from the Disneyland queue was not in Florida before so I like it.
Davy Jones-Neat effect- no real problem.
Dead Mans Cove-needs to be refurbished
No Talking Skull- an iconic piece of the ride, dumb idea to remove him.
Removal of dialogue after waterfall-Never really made much sense in WDW any way. DL on the other hand.
Bombarding the Fort-Okay with Barbossa but I think they should have kept the original Captain. Barbossa's dialogue is terrible How many times do you need to say Captain Jack Sparrow? the ship is thankfully still the Wicked Wench.
The Well-Seriously the new plot makes no sense they are dunking the mayor to find out where Captain Jack Sparrow is instead of treasure. A. Why would the mayor be hiding Captain Jack Sparrow if Jack wants to steal the town treasure. B. Why would a lawfully elected official be hiding a pirate and why would he risk his life by refusing to tell another pirate where the other pirate is. Captain Jack Animatronic is pretty cool
Chase- should be Pirates chasing women again. Jack Sparrow in a barrel gag is cool but Pooped Pirate exposits about Captain Jack Sparrow too much. (BTW' Don't the Imagineers realize that the running gag in the movie is that Jack is the only person to refer to himself as "Captain Jack Sparrow".
Burning City- needs more realistic flames.
Treasure Room-fine with current scene but Jack talking about how great piracy is is a bad example for kids.
Upramp/Davy Jones narration. WE GET IT YOU ARE DAVY JONES. PLEASE SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!
Overall ride needs a more extensive refurb like Disneyland got
Mixed bag but I have to prefer the pre-2006 ride.

HMF

Personally, I'm not really a fan, the story changes detract from the original ride. The upgraded sound and lighting of course are fantastic, but I would have been much happier if WDI installed a single Jack Sparrow AA in the jail scene and left it at that.
That would not have worked because he would have no context.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom