All Epcot, All the Time (aka Has Disney given up on SSE?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpyhnt 1000

The decoy theory could be on to something there... Still, I gotta say Lee just thickened the pot quite a bit in regards to these confounded triangles. It would also back up what Martin's been saying about the lengthy Test and Adjust period we seem to be going through.

PREMiERdrum

The decoy theory could be on to something there... Still, I gotta say Lee just thickened the pot quite a bit in regards to these confounded triangles. It would also back up what Martin's been saying about the lengthy Test and Adjust period we seem to be going through.
Agree. Some of the triangles could very well be temporary. The rest could hold the 'eyes' for the facial recognition. Maybe larger projection screens will appear in the place of the 'decoy' triangles.

TinkerBell9988

But the facial recognition would be for... what, exactly? Visions of us being Tomorrow's Children projected onto larger screens and various large triangles?

hpyhnt 1000

But the facial recognition would be for... what, exactly? Visions of us being Tomorrow's Children projected onto larger screens and various large triangles?

Thats what I would assume? I keep thinking it would be something like whats currently on our touchscreen, only now it would be up on the triangles. :shrug:

There's one other thing that still bothers me about this descent and thats what (if anything) will be to the sides of us? For at least 2/3 of the descent there are curtains strung up from floor to ceiling. Is there anything else back there that has yet to be unveiled, or is it just hiding the equipment 3rd shift is using to work on the triangles?

Lee

Adventurer
To be a little more...ummm...less vague.

From what I have heard for months now, the triangles would tie in to the facial shapshots from the ascent.
They are not cameras, your photos were taken once, no need to take it again.

Not sure about the little circles, but they could well relate to the mechanism that would allow the triangles to coordinate with the ride vehicles, so that your image would be able to meet up with you and follow you down.
Very fuzzy on the details, but it's all starting to make more sense.

Wait 'til Martin wakes up. :snore:
I'm sure he'll chime in.:wave:

hpyhnt 1000

From what I have heard for months now, the triangles would tie in to the facial shapshots from the ascent.

Not sure about the little circles, but they could well relate to the mechanism that would allow the triangles to coordinate with the ride vehicles, so that your image would be able to meet up with you and follow you down.

Ah thats true. I guess they could be sensors that would be scanning the vehicles as they go by. I guess its safe to say we have a fairly good idea about what these triangles are for, even if deatils aren't fully known. You wouldn't be able to confirm or deny about whether there's anything behind those curtains, could you Lee?

Disneyson 1

Done.

BE WARNED!! This a CONTEMPORARY take on the story of SSE, it’s not trying to be something it’s not, and it’s not “majestic” in it’s narration, but in it’s story. This is an idea IF SSE was forced to be converted into a thrill ride. Bear with me.

I’m not quite sure where this would go. For now, consider SSE “Under Perpetual Refurbishment”. The first noticeable change in the front of SSE is that the 2 gift shops on either side are now queue for the ride. The queue starts in the right side of the building, and on the side of the building are the words “Spaceship Earth: Time Racers”. Inside is a very large futuristic-looking room with 2 levels, the top is a catwalk. On the lower level are large projections and screens (in the shapes of really big triangles), big consoles and shiny buttons. There’s a “Project Tomorrow” vibe to the room and there are triangles glowing around the edges scattered about the walls and ceiling. The screens show a scanning of complete world history, as if something’s looking back in time and analyzing something. After a time period is analyzed, the screens make an “error” sound and move onto another time period. You go into one of 5 elevators, holding about the same amount as the DisneyQuest ones. You see screens in each corner of the elevator. There’s a similar scanning as in the queue, and the scan picks up a reading in prehistoric times. There’s a “DING-DING-DING!” noise and lights in the elevator turn green. You see a teenager on the screen (It can be whoever, a “relevant” tweeny-bopper fad person, son of an exec. that Imagineers are trying to impress, whatever. It doesn’t really matter.) The tween’s ecstatic that the results came back positive: He explains that he’s a scientist who’s been looking for years (it’s the future; don’t ask why he looks like/is a tween) for the perfect time to intercede with our timeline. Why? Well, the scientist has figured that at one point in time, there must have been a spot where one could interfere and change the timeline for the better, creating a perfect world that we all live in. The scientist has just found this point in the start of man, the first oral traditions could be tweaked ever so slightly that we could create a perfect world. He/she sends us into the past to create a brighter tomorrow. But we must be quick- if we stay too long in one place in time, we may be seen. And that’ll undo all of the work that he’s been trying to do as the space-time continuum’ll be busted for sure!

We are released from the elevators and we walk over bridge going from the old gift shop to the opposite gift shop. After a little bit more of a queue, we enter out time travelers, a chain of 3-4 controlled wild mouse cars (kinda like omni-movers) that are colored in chrome with blue highlights. We slowly move through a “checklist countdown” like the one on Space Mountain until we move to the old loading station. It looks similar to the old one, but shinier and with hidden lighting. The place where the “please remain seated” televisions now are (in this version) covered by a metallic door. This is now our “blasting off point”. There’s an obligatory countdown, but at the “blast-off”, we start spinning. The room is filled with fiber optics and the lights dim, leaving the blue static lights. The silver doors open and we gain a burst of speed as we (at moderate speed) blast through the fiber optic tunnel. We reach the prehistoric screen and, facing it, we feel a rush of wind and we see a portal wizzing by, strobe lighting blinds us. A computer announces our arrival at prehistoric times.

The teen chimes in and says that we’re here at the point that we have to change the great timeline, but UH-OH! Something goes horribly wrong! Our machines speed up to the next time period, forcing us to miss our opportunity to change time. The teen says that they’re trying to remotely fix the machine, but he says that we’re going on a tour through the current timeline instead of the planned time change. The ride’s “thrill” is in-between minor show scenes, like a zooming through time. It’s accomplished mainly through spinning and a slight speed boost.

At this point, the computer chimes in with the traditional “narrator” info, the actual historical figures in the ride talk much more than previously, and the teen, not really having ever seen the trials and tribulations of humankind, takes a backseat and sees the majestic story of history unfold. Over the course of the ride, he transforms from the closed-minded person that he once was, not caring to embrace our culture, general distrust of man, and wanting the world to be a bland utopia, into an understanding person, who, well embraces all that he wished to shun. This is evident through-out the ride, as his shell is cracked open through audio pieces. As he sees how man worked through problems (Burning Rome especially touches him), he figures that we don’t need a utopia to work through future problems: we can use technology to create peace. By the current “Computers” scene, he’s fixed the time machine and it stops back at a new caveman scene. He, by this time, realizes that changing our history is a BAD idea, even if that means no utopia. Here’s his speech that he says as we speed to the 180 Top:

“We just CAN’T use our seemingly… infinite technologies to do something like this! No, we have to use this awesome power to usher in a new age of understanding and co-operation! We just have to remember that we’re just passengers on this! Our Spaceship Earth!

Recognize that from somewhere? At that point we launch from a fast spinning in the speed tunnel and into the 180 top! We slow down and the spinning comes top a semi-hault. It feels like we’re suspended in mid-air. We fall back into the decent tunnel and spend the rest of the time viewing the future to a modern version of “Tomorrow’s Child”. It’s like the old decent, but with emphasis on the other pavilions. There’s no spinning, but the vehicles move backwards at a brisk pace.

So O.K, it’s not the most well thought out thing ever, but I just thought if it. And I know it kills some thing about SSE that make it so “classic”, but it’s just a fan-made thingy. By the way, there’s a non-coaster version that doesn’t spin and goes a bit slower during the fast portions!

hpyhnt 1000

^Eh, I gotta say, didn't sound half bad! If Time Racers was something like that, I think I could have almost lived with it. :lookaroun :eek: In all honesty, the one thing that really bothered me about the whole thing was the idea of having a bridge underneath SSE to connect the two queues (I know, out of everything that was there, thats the part that bothered me. :lol:)

EPCOT Explorer

;)
That's all I'm sayin'.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!! Exactly what we thought a few thousand pages ago.:D Fantastic news...It sounds very detailed.:D:sohappy:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Okay.. I`m here now :D - after a 12 hour shoot on a public holiday....

Curious, btw, since I'm not here much... am I right in thinking that the old neon lights in the communication tunnel are still there, just behind the new projection screen/Matrix stuff?
Nope, they're gone.
They gone now? I know they were still partly in place in late 2007 - after the soft openings.

Let me go see these pics.. ;)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Nice photos :wave:

Anyone see the new hole in the wall with bar sticking out in 0563? Looks like very fresh work. No idea what it`s for though.

Someone said why some triangles are on struts, and why some on wires. I`d say some of them need to remain fixed in position with no movement, and are heavier than others.

And yes, there is a lot of steelwork in there. An awful lot. Far more than this to come to nothing. 0565 has far more metal in place than I saw last July.

EPCOT Explorer

Nice photos :wave:

Anyone see the new hole in the wall with bar sticking out in 0563? Looks like very fresh work. No idea what it`s for though.

Someone said why some triangles are on struts, and why some on wires. I`d say some of them need to remain fixed in position with no movement, and are heavier than others.

And yes, there is a lot of steelwork in there
. An awful lot. Far more than this to come to nothing. 0565 has far more metal in place than I saw last July.

I'm guessing that's to reduce motion when being projected on?

Maybe the steelwork helps with wiring too.

Disneyson 1

Wait...

"Not sure about the little circles, but they could well relate to the mechanism that would allow the triangles to coordinate with the ride vehicles, so that your image would be able to meet up with you and follow you down."

I'm confused (what's new?). Are the triangles physically moving, like with a tracking mechanism, or are we talking about like how the screens in the Space Mountain queue "follow you"?

P.S. hpyhnt! Thanks for the comment! Weird that you think the bridge is the main problem... I guess that's the only place to extend the queue, though.

Mr.EPCOT

I'm confused (what's new?). Are the triangles physically moving, like with a tracking mechanism, or are we talking about like how the screens in the Space Mountain queue "follow you"?

I think the idea is that your image would move from screen to screen as your Time Machine travels down the descent. The image on each triangle would change depending on whose Time Machine is traveling under it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom