All Epcot, All the Time (aka Has Disney given up on SSE?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EPCOT Explorer

Looking at all the photographs of the triangles, it appears as though they are wrapped in a covering, to keep dust and scratches off of them. That is, they seem to be unevenly finished, and somewhat ugly to boot. It looks like they're covered, either to keep the surface smooth and clean for projections, or because they're actually video displays themselves and will be revealed as such when the descent is finally finished.

That, or that they have internal lighting. This is getting odd.:lol:

SirNim

That, or that they have internal lighting. This is getting odd.:lol:
I think it would be difficult to project video onto something that is internally lit -- you would require as dark a screen surface as possible for contrast. If there is internal lighting at all (notwithstanding special strobe or flash effects which would not disrupt video projection), it would be in the form of a LED or LCD video display, I would think.

hpyhnt 1000

Well, that kinda throws a wrench into our little theory. :lol: Interesting statement there, Martin, but I gues when you think about it, it does make more sense for the triangles to be screens rather than just projection surfaces, given the amount (or lack) of space in the descent. :shrug:

SirNim

Well, that kinda throws a wrench into our little theory. :lol: Interesting statement there, Martin, but I gues when you think about it, it does make more sense for the triangles to be screens rather than just projection surfaces, given the amount (or lack) of space in the descent. :shrug:
Setting up projectors would require some intensive calibration to keep the image squarely on the irregularly-shaped screen onto which it is intended to projected. Seems much more desirable to skip projectors all together and just use new flat-panel screens, customized as triangles rather than, say, 16:9 rectangles.

hpyhnt 1000

Setting up projectors would require some intensive calibration to keep the image squarely on the irregularly-shaped screen onto which it is intended to projected. Seems much more desirable to skip projectors all together and just use new flat-panel screens, customized as triangles rather than, say, 16:9 rectangles.

Yep, I would agree with that. You're right about the calibration part. 5:12:13 flat panel triangles would seem to be a better fit.

EPCOT Explorer

GETTING odd? Seriously. It's been 16 months and it's just getting odd for you now?:lol:
Once agian...True.:lol:
I think it would be difficult to project video onto something that is internally lit -- you would require as dark a screen surface as possible for contrast. If there is internal lighting at all (notwithstanding special strobe or flash effects which would not disrupt video projection), it would be in the form of a LED or LCD video display, I would think.
Right, I was thinking one or the other. Or maybe a mix of the two.

On that note...Think they are flat panels then?

SirNim

Right, I was thinking one or the other. Or maybe a mix of the two.
If projectors were involved, it would not rule out some other internal lighting. For example, video from the projector could be synchronized with strobe-like flashes originating from the triangle screen itself that could add a dramatic flair to the presentation. I'm thinking, here, of the Magic Mirror on Cinderella Castle and how it had all the embedded strobes in it. That was a cool effect.

On that note...Think they are flat panels then?
Based on some "testimony" in this thread... probably. When I first saw the triangles a few months ago... they looked a bit too flat to be electronic... looked more like cardboard than anything... But seeing some other pictures... the closeups reveal that the triangles cannot possibly be intended to look as they currently look--- they are covered by something, and I'm thinking of all the flat panel TVs and computer monitors that are covered in the same way to protect the LCD or LED components in the screen before being placed in their cardboard boxes and shipped to electronics retailers.

EPCOT Explorer

If projectors were involved, it would not rule out some other internal lighting. For example, video from the projector could be synchronized with strobe-like flashes originating from the triangle screen itself that could add a dramatic flair to the presentation. I'm thinking, here, of the Magic Mirror on Cinderella Castle and how it had all the embedded strobes in it. That was a cool effect.

Based on some "testimony" in this thread... probably. When I first saw the triangles a few months ago... they looked a bit too flat to be electronic... looked more like cardboard than anything... But seeing some other pictures... the closeups reveal that the triangles cannot possibly be intended to look as they currently look--- they are covered by something, and I'm thinking of all the flat panel TVs and computer monitors that are covered in the same way to protect the LCD or LED components in the screen before being placed in their cardboard boxes and shipped to electronics retailers.
That's what I was thinking...And yes, very cool effect.

However...Hope you are right about the screens, that sounds much more efficient.

Disneyson 1

Didn't we already establish this flat screen thing??? AHH!! The commercials were wrong, it's not hulu that rots your brain, it's this thread!

gustaftp

I looked at the pictures, and those definitely do not look like LCDs or anything of the sort. They look like they are simply triangle-shaped canvases that are painted black and hung from the ceiling.

I could be wrong about this, but the size and shape of those circles on a couple of the triangles look more like recessed fire sprinklers to me -- the kind that pop out when they need to.

bbsh_2.jpg

I could be wrong... but I doubt it. :(

TinkerBell9988

I looked at the pictures, and those definitely do not look like LCDs or anything of the sort. They look like they are simply triangle-shaped canvases that are painted black and hung from the ceiling.

I could be wrong about this, but the size and shape of those circles on a couple of the triangles look more like recessed fire sprinklers to me -- the kind that pop out when they need to.

bbsh_2.jpg

If it helps, I don't recall seeing any kind of sprinkler system, etc, attatched to any of the triangles, or to the backsides of them. The triangles just appeared attached to the large-and-in-charge metal structure. :shrug:

Maybe I need to take a better look at my pictures again... I can definitely be wrong here.

calicommando

bbsh_2.jpg

I thought the same thing when I first saw them, BUT. . .

1) if the LCD/LED screen theory holds up, they couldn't be sprinkler heads
2) why wouldn't they have just moved the triangles so that they would miss the sprinkler heads? :shrug:

EPCOT Explorer

bbsh_2.jpg

Why would they add more sprinklers? SSE already has a fire prevention program...:shrug:

gustaftp

Why would they add more sprinklers? SSE already has a fire prevention program...:shrug:
It might not necessarily be "more", the triangles might've been covering a couple up, and a fire inspection could've required that this change be made.

I wouldn't be too surprised if they beefed up the fire prevention in there, seeing as it looks like there is a rather new Fire Horn & Strobe on the wall in that Picasa album.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom