• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

MinnieM123

Tower of Terror was meant to be the anchor of an entire expansion. It sits at the end of the street and can be seen from virtually anywhere on Hollywood Blvd and Sunset. The imagineers of that time went into great length to make sure the hotel works with its surrounding areas. It's theme on the outside is simple in that it portrays a hotel of that era, only enhancing the sense of place. It's forboding outside draws guest in and works in creating a experince that starts the moment you enter the park.
Your comments above outlined exactly what I've been thinking for days now, since I started reading this thread. Ever since the TOT opened, viewing the well-themed, scary tower from a distance (whether inside the park, or looking out the window on a Disney bus), always built up my anticipation (and a little anxiety! ;) ).

For an attraction to capture my attention--well before I even enter it--is a sign of success for these talented imagineers. It's a masterpiece as it is, and I'm not in favor of the proposed changes.

Pionmycake

I think it's interesting how everyone in this discussion seems to be under the assumption that Sunset Blvd. will stay if ToT becomes Guardians. what's really there in Sunset Blvd?

The dated Beauty and the Beast show? That's in desperate need of some upsdates and new costumes. I love that show, but when I was there over the summer, the lack of passion in the performers was evident. Something has to be done with that show.

Rocking Rollercoaster? thats already supposed to be getting a retheme with Big hero 6 as a rumor ivr heard thrown around.

The entrance to Fantamic? Move some stuff around and maybe enter through the exit near the front of the park.

That's it. I absolutely hate the idea of ToT being rethemed, but I think we should stop thinking of how it would ruin Sunset Blvd and start picturing Sunset Blvd becoming Marvel Avenue. Replace Beauty and the Beast with a stunt show or use thay space for smaller scale attraction (a dark side or flat ride probably). Retheme the buildings and shops.

If they go with the Tower retheme, I'm almost positive it will be at least partially because Disney wants to make a Marvel land as the next big step. One ride in epcot is one thing, but there's just sooo many reasons why they could never build a whole land there. That would explain turning their attention to the tower.

marni1971

WDW History nut
Premium Member
The truth will remain long after I am gone. And a few will still proclaim it. For instance, they will explain that the ToT at TDS is the best and most cohesive of all the towers and it has nothing to do with the TZ IP.
So you'd be devestated if I were to say that a Guardians themed attraction was still planned to open in Epcot then and not DHS?

Mike S

I think it's interesting how everyone in this discussion seems to be under the assumption that Sunset Blvd. will stay if ToT becomes Guardians. what's really there in Sunset Blvd?

The dated Beauty and the Beast show? That's in desperate need of some upsdates and new costumes. I love that show, but when I was there over the summer, the lack of passion in the performers was evident. Something has to be done with that show.

Rocking Rollercoaster? thats already supposed to be getting a retheme with Big hero 6 as a rumor ivr heard thrown around.

The entrance to Fantamic? Move some stuff around and maybe enter through the exit near the front of the park.

That's it. I absolutely hate the idea of ToT being rethemed, but I think we should stop thinking of how it would ruin Sunset Blvd and start picturing Sunset Blvd becoming Marvel Avenue. Replace Beauty and the Beast with a stunt show or use thay space for smaller scale attraction (a dark side or flat ride probably). Retheme the buildings and shops.

If they go with the Tower retheme, I'm almost positive it will be at least partially because Disney wants to make a Marvel land as the next big step. One ride in epcot is one thing, but there's just sooo many reasons why they could never build a whole land there. That would explain turning their attention to the tower.

Sunset Blvd. is perfect in its 1930's/40's theming and sense of place. Some aspects can absolutely be changed to strengthen it but ToT is absolutely not one of those things and neither are the buildings leading up to it. Marvel could easily take over what's currently Animation Courtyard and maybe even connecting to and taking over the RnRC area. Though I wouldn't expect you to understand any of this with your "ooh, flashy flashy Marvel IP!!!" tunnel vision.

Truly a shame.

Sunset Blvd. is perfect in its 1930's/40's theming and sense of place. Some aspects can absolutely be changed to strengthen it but ToT is absolutely not one of those things and neither are the buildings leading up to it. Marvel could easily take over what's currently Animation Courtyard and maybe even connecting to and taking over the RnRC area. Though I wouldn't expect you to understand any of this with your "ooh, flashy flashy Marvel IP!!!" tunnel vision.

Truly a shame.
ToT is an exercise in perfection! It the best version of a great attraction. I hope WDW/TDO comes to their senses. Not only is ToT the landmark of DHS that beckons guests to move down the palm tree laden Sunset Blvd, it is the anchor of the Blvd.

I want to ask Chappie And George K. one question. How does GotG fit in with 30/40 theme of Sunset Blvd?

DisneyExpert

No, you're thinking of the Inside Out thrill ride planned to overhaul Imagination ;)
I see what you did there and I approve.

ToT is an exercise in perfection! It the best version of a great attraction. I hope WDW/TDO comes to their senses. Not only is ToT the landmark of DHS that beckons guests to move down the palm tree laden Sunset Blvd, it is the anchor of the Blvd.

I want to ask Chappie And George K. one question. How does GotG fit in with 30/40 theme of Sunset Blvd?
You don't have to ask them. Just ask any of our resident trolls!

Just how I feel too.
This is somewhat off topic, but I just finished watching all three parts of your history of the Backlot Tour and it made me weirdly emotional. MGM had such potential and it's so sad to see how it has just gotten worse and worse.

I have so many fond memories from the early years of the park.

Last edited:

Truly a shame.
There is a lot at WDW that need to be addressed. I wish that they would stop trying to "improve" already popular rides. If the ride is not broke, don't try to fix it. Especially if "fixing it" means ripping out the theme and putting in an IP that makes no sense.

I would love to see ToT updated with improved effects, but not with a new theme.

BrianLo

Do you consider the ToT at TDS a failure? I think it is by far the best tower out there. Doesn't look shoehorned at all.
Didn't @FigmentForver96 just teach you two pages ago what it actually was? Now you are throwing it back at @marni1971 and everyone else? Ignorance to the authority in half a day. :hilarious:

Florida's is the best version of the ride, Tokyo's a close second. Both are fantastic because they were actually designed for the space they occupy and not shoehorned after the fact.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Back in the United State of Brexit England.

I'm told as of very very very very very recent Guardians is green lit for the Energy building.
With cuts? Or closer to the Captain America hybrid? Or something altogether different?

I choose to believe your version of the truth because I like it a whole lot better, sorry Spirit. Ignorance is bliss after all, as clearly demonstrated.

CDavid

I'm told as of very very very very very recent Guardians is green lit for the Energy building.
So, two of our most trusted posters, and very reliable sources, with contradictory information. Plans change and sources can just be wrong, of course, but what are the chances one or both of the stories was leaked deliberately? Could Disney be playing games here to root out the origins of a leak? Didn't @WDW1974 previously touch on the fact a lot of rumors have been emerging lately (or am I losing what's left of my mind...)?

All of which means we still don't know much of anything for certain, and what little we do know could still change again.

Top Bottom