A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

FigmentJedi

jaa7pj5.jpg
Those CG Star Wars cartoons are some of the major backbones of continuity now, like 'em or not.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I really feel ill now. Thanks for the heads up Spirit.

Every time I post something that upsets me that hasn't happened yet, I so want to be wrong. But I very rarely am. And Disney can say whatever it will, but (yes, as of this moment in time) it is very, very, very likely to happen. I wouldn't have posted this otherwise.

And to echo an answer to a friend's question from a few hours ago, no, I absolutely don't think there is anything the fan community can/will do to stop this. WDW Co simply doesn't give a damn what you want, what you like, what you care about. It is all about their executives and their egos and their paychecks. They'll do whatever they please and if you give them your money, they'll take it and if you don't, then some rube will.

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 any more dirt on Universe of Energy's fate / general Epcot musings?

No. Beyond it won't likely be open more than another 12-15 months tops and there are multiple concepts for replacing it. None that I am aware of that are remotely consistent with FW's ethos.

But the world has changed, WFTV *ABC's affiliate in O-Town* thinks manchild Tom 'Amity' Corless is a go-to source for reporting a very serious piece on the terrorist threat to WDW and Disney's security theater answer/response ... so, yeah, the world is upside down.

PiratesoftheHM

Hey @WDW1974, seems like you're suggesting the Mickey Mouse ride might not happen. Any idea on what will take that spot if so...? Surely, unfortunately, it would not be what is already there if the new park's new theme is IGERland.

Also, more so, it seems like an Imagineer behind the project left, but why would it be abandoned? Seems like a good way to tie Marvel, Lucasfilm, Pixar etc all together - the Mouse owns them all.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Sounds like they did not do their homework with the project... I figure checking the local construction code and loads for a project is a basic early step, no? I am curious about what it means for Walt Disney Studios Paris TOT though... Rumors over there have been pointing toward the "Backlot" (Rock n Roller Coaster, Armageddon, Moteurs Actions stunt show) being transformed into a Marvel Land, but no concrete evidence so far.

I wonder that as well. But 25th Anniversary plans were scaled back and it would seem the level of investment in the resort going forward in the next 2-3 years would indicate that ToT will remain as is. Look at Star Tours ... by the time 2.0 version opens it will almost be time to close the Anaheim original.

There have been lots of Marvel plans for that park, but nothing ever seems to be approved beyond the Spidey meet-greet-and-pull-a-Donald-Trump. This also was location No. 2 for Pandora-based IP and also supposed to get Soarin five years ago. Things just work at a different pace over there sadly ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I know you are framing this as a negative, but I for one am thrilled over this tidbit, at least. If Disney is so serious about an immersive experience that they are willing to send millions to their corporate partners to make it happen, then it can only mean good things for how the Star Wars area is developed.

It'll be interesting to see how Disney handles the food for SW. Since they seem to be going for totally in theme, it will provide a neat opportunity for WDI to get really creative with novel concepts.

I am not framing it as a negative, although I have all sorts of concerns and I am blunt about them. When one IP is selected as special and bigger than DL itself, how should a Disney fan feel? SW is something I enjoy to some degree ... but not nearly as much as Star Trek or even the James Bond films. I still wouldn't want any of them in DL.

Disney is clearly attempting to stick a Hogsmeade/Diagon Alley type bubble around an area that will be part of DL. Again, it doesn't fit. I am not talking about the quality of the area because I am expecting it to be top notch. It's about sticking a round peg into a square hole and demanding it fit because of the ego of a CEO. I find it troubling.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Let's see how long this takes to be picked up, reworded, and published on every website and blog out there. Because as you know, NONE of them read the WDWMAGIC forums.

C'mon, we both know that no one reads here and no one Tweets or sub-tweets or sub-sub-hoagie tweets about what is posted here. And certainly no one ever feels the need to credit me, my information or the site when news is broken here. Much better to Tweet in a vacuum with people who always agree with you. The fan community is truly its own worse enemy and I have been told this by a few big 'names' in the biz.

PiratesoftheHM

When one IP is selected as special and bigger than DL itself, how should a Disney fan feel?

It really bothers me that Disney is going for the small theme-park-within-a-theme-park type feel for SWL. I know so many people that not only go to Universal solely for WWOHP but refer to Uni as a whole simply as "Harry Potter World". Will newbs and young people be referring to DL as Star Wars Land? Is that the new definition of DL? That element bothers me almost more than the placement of the IP itself and the amount of real estate being used.

Absimilliard

I wonder that as well. But 25th Anniversary plans were scaled back and it would seem the level of investment in the resort going forward in the next 2-3 years would indicate that ToT will remain as is. Look at Star Tours ... by the time 2.0 version opens it will almost be time to close the Anaheim original.

There have been lots of Marvel plans for that park, but nothing ever seems to be approved beyond the Spidey meet-greet-and-pull-a-Donald-Trump. This also was location No. 2 for Pandora-based IP and also supposed to get Soarin five years ago. Things just work at a different pace over there sadly ...

The French Disney fans have always been in the wrong regarding Soarin' over there. They always claimed "it was coming to Adventureland", but the location has always been to the right of Cinemagique in the Walt Disney Studios. I do think that Soarin' is dead in the water there as next year, three "Flying Theater" (the generic term I created to describe that type of attraction) are coming to Disneyland Paris rivals: a Dynamic Attractions Flying Theater opening in December at the Futuroscope (think of a park filled with pavilions, movies and theaters) and two Brogent Technologies i-Ride installations: one at the brand new Ferrari World third gate at Port Aventura and two theaters at Europa Park. Opening Soarin' now in Europe would have zero impact and worst, Disney could even be seen as "copying" Futuroscope and Europa Park.

Over in Japan, I am wondering how Oriental Land Co. will pull off the marketing for the new Soarin' coming to Tokyo Disney Sea. Fuji-Q Highland, then known as the thrill seeker paradise in Japan, opened a few years ago "Fuji Airways", a Brogent Technologies i-Ride. The film is beautiful and the Brogent i-Ride is capable of 6 degrees of Freedom... meaning it can move as much as a Star Tours simulator. I hope they can make Soarin' Around the World feel special and it works out for them.

Magenta Panther

Well, I can't really add much to the disgust already expressed here. All I can say is this: when I first read WDW1974's revelation of the horrible plans for the Tower, I think I came as close to a panic attack as I've ever come. What hurt the most was not just the loss of the Tower - one of the best attractions ever built ANYWHERE (and I'm no stranger to theme parks overall, at least in the States) - but what its loss said about the mentality running The Walt Disney Company right now. What it said about the obliviousness, the greed, the shallowness, the puerile desire to milk an acquisition at the expense of a work of theme park art...I wondered then, why do I still care? Why should I continue to patronize parks that are now being desecrated for the sake of a dollar? That violate the philosophy that built them and made them successful in the first place? I'm not kidding, I was sick FOR DAYS over the news of the destruction of the Tower for a stupid Marvel overlay involving minor Marvel characters that had ONE movie do well. Wow, that's a GREAT reason to destroy one of the best things the Disney Imagineers ever created! And my dismay over its possible demise is not because I'm a huge fan of the Twilight Zone show. I'm aware of it, I think I've watched one episode (the one where the guy lost his glasses) - it's because when I first rode the Tower, I was frickin' blown away by it like no ride I've experienced before or since. It is NOTE PERFECT. There's not a weak spot in any part of it. In terms of storytelling, theme, effects and overall guest experience, it has few rivals. It's a peer of rides like Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Splash Mountain. To destroy something so well-done just to sell a few more raccoon dolls is an offense to ANYONE who appreciates the Disney parks.

And if anyone from TDO reads this...guess what... maybe you old farts don't really understand the power of the internet. But you WILL. Wasn't the DCA Tower-Marvel overlay BOOED at Comic-Con, of all places? Why yes, I believe it was! http://www.bostonherald.com/lifesty...tower_of_terror_making_way_for_guardians_ride Do you really think you can keep doing STUPID things like this and get away with it forever? You and your pathetic broken yeti you haven't even TRIED to fix? Do you think you can keep violating Walt's intent and philosophy and then try to mask it with that same philosophy? Do you really think people are STUPID? Universal is catching up to you, and FAST, and stuff like the destruction of the Tower and forcing purchased IP into places where they don't belong WILL take its toll. Your prices are too high and your corner-cutting too obvious and there are OTHER PLACES TO GO. If you do this to the Tower, I will never set foot in DHS again and maybe never in WDW ever again. I'll give my dollars to Disneyland as long as it's still got enough of its original character and magic to make the cost worthwhile. Otherwise, I'll spend time I used to spend on Disney parks at Universal because at least Universal doesn't have a beloved founder whose well-known and cherished ideals it's trying to violate.

To you guys here who are also appalled by this: Thank you. Thank you for restoring my faith in the true fans of Walt's parks. You rock.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom