A Terror-rific Spirited 13th (ToT fans have lots to fear)...

Castle Cake Apologist

How does "Beauty and the Beast Live Onstage", "Rock n' Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith" or "Fantasmic" fit into Sunset Blvd? They don't. But ToT does not need Twilight Zone. They can (and will) re-theme the ToT. I would prefer a Tales From the Crypt theme but since Disney doesn't own that IP, I'd be happy with GotG. And Disney doesn't want to repeat their Alien Encounter mistake and create something that will make children cry. The smart thing to do is change the theme and let the purists cry while Disney keeps collecting money in their bank. A good team of writers can make anything fit anywhere. Look at the Muppets in Liberty Square or Frozen Ever After in the WS. The bottom line is that what you and some others think of as theme is really just banal kitsch. And kitsch is fun for both children and adults.

As usual, the point has sailed clear over your head. None of the attractions you've listed are visible while walking down Sunset Blvd. Tower is literally the anchor of the area, rooted firmly in 1930s Hollywood. A fortress/warehouse/power plant completely shatters the immersion. You cannot possibly deny this.

I don't deny that Guardians belongs in Studios. It's really the only park that it does. However, why can't a brand new attraction be built? Why insist on shoving it into an existing ride? A ride that is HUGELY popular

jt04

As usual, the point has sailed clear over your head. None of the attractions you've listed are visible while walking down Sunset Blvd. Tower is literally the anchor of the area, rooted firmly in 1930s Hollywood. A fortress/warehouse/power plant completely shatters the immersion. You cannot possibly deny this.

I don't deny that Guardians belongs in Studios. It's really the only park that it does. However, why can't a brand new attraction be built? Why insist on shoving it into an existing ride? A ride that is HUGELY popular

There are other IPs out there. As has been so skillfully demonstrated at TDS. Isn't everyone always saying we want WDW to be more like TDS?

jt04

There are indeed.

So put them in something purpose built and stop shoe horning them where they don't belong.

Why do you stay around here?

Do you consider the ToT at TDS a failure? I think it is by far the best tower out there. Doesn't look shoehorned at all.

Speedy71

1Twp4Bv.jpg

jt04

Because people still engage him. Ignore him and he will go away. Don't feed the trolls! They feed on attention!:)

The truth will remain long after I am gone. And a few will still proclaim it. For instance, they will explain that the ToT at TDS is the best and most cohesive of all the towers and it has nothing to do with the TZ IP.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Tower of Terror was meant to be the anchor of an entire expansion. It sits at the end of the street and can be seen from virtually anywhere on Hollywood Blvd and Sunset. The imagineers of that time went into great length to make sure the hotel works with its surrounding areas. It's theme on the outside is simple in that it portrays a hotel of that era, only enhancing the sense of place. It's forboding outside draws guest in and works in creating a experince that starts the moment you enter the park.

Your comments above outlined exactly what I've been thinking for days now, since I started reading this thread. Ever since the TOT opened, viewing the well-themed, scary tower from a distance (whether inside the park, or looking out the window on a Disney bus), always built up my anticipation (and a little anxiety! ;) ).

For an attraction to capture my attention--well before I even enter it--is a sign of success for these talented imagineers. It's a masterpiece as it is, and I'm not in favor of the proposed changes.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I think it's interesting how everyone in this discussion seems to be under the assumption that Sunset Blvd. will stay if ToT becomes Guardians. what's really there in Sunset Blvd?

The dated Beauty and the Beast show? That's in desperate need of some upsdates and new costumes. I love that show, but when I was there over the summer, the lack of passion in the performers was evident. Something has to be done with that show.

Rocking Rollercoaster? thats already supposed to be getting a retheme with Big hero 6 as a rumor ivr heard thrown around.

The entrance to Fantamic? Move some stuff around and maybe enter through the exit near the front of the park.

That's it. I absolutely hate the idea of ToT being rethemed, but I think we should stop thinking of how it would ruin Sunset Blvd and start picturing Sunset Blvd becoming Marvel Avenue. Replace Beauty and the Beast with a stunt show or use thay space for smaller scale attraction (a dark side or flat ride probably). Retheme the buildings and shops.

If they go with the Tower retheme, I'm almost positive it will be at least partially because Disney wants to make a Marvel land as the next big step. One ride in epcot is one thing, but there's just sooo many reasons why they could never build a whole land there. That would explain turning their attention to the tower.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The truth will remain long after I am gone. And a few will still proclaim it. For instance, they will explain that the ToT at TDS is the best and most cohesive of all the towers and it has nothing to do with the TZ IP.
So you'd be devestated if I were to say that a Guardians themed attraction was still planned to open in Epcot then and not DHS?

Mike S

I think it's interesting how everyone in this discussion seems to be under the assumption that Sunset Blvd. will stay if ToT becomes Guardians. what's really there in Sunset Blvd?

The dated Beauty and the Beast show? That's in desperate need of some upsdates and new costumes. I love that show, but when I was there over the summer, the lack of passion in the performers was evident. Something has to be done with that show.

Rocking Rollercoaster? thats already supposed to be getting a retheme with Big hero 6 as a rumor ivr heard thrown around.

The entrance to Fantamic? Move some stuff around and maybe enter through the exit near the front of the park.

That's it. I absolutely hate the idea of ToT being rethemed, but I think we should stop thinking of how it would ruin Sunset Blvd and start picturing Sunset Blvd becoming Marvel Avenue. Replace Beauty and the Beast with a stunt show or use thay space for smaller scale attraction (a dark side or flat ride probably). Retheme the buildings and shops.

If they go with the Tower retheme, I'm almost positive it will be at least partially because Disney wants to make a Marvel land as the next big step. One ride in epcot is one thing, but there's just sooo many reasons why they could never build a whole land there. That would explain turning their attention to the tower.
tumblr_ly19a98C3Q1qduy16o1_500.gif

Sunset Blvd. is perfect in its 1930's/40's theming and sense of place. Some aspects can absolutely be changed to strengthen it but ToT is absolutely not one of those things and neither are the buildings leading up to it. Marvel could easily take over what's currently Animation Courtyard and maybe even connecting to and taking over the RnRC area. Though I wouldn't expect you to understand any of this with your "ooh, flashy flashy Marvel IP!!!" tunnel vision.

Truly a shame.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom