A little sad at how things are

Capt. Salty

geez...maybe someday I'll grow up and have a big post count!

Seriously, I've only been on this site a few yrs, and only post when I can help someone out - generally with driving to WDW questions. We drive
each yr from Western NY and have a great time.

I've, to this point, thoroughly enjoyed all of the info and people. It's a fantastic (pardon the pun), site.

Thank you Steve.
:wave:

pinkrose

I just came in here to thank, Erika, Marcia and Beth. I would include they are HOTT as well, but don't want to push my luck. :lol:

Oh, I'm also here to show off my post count as post count size does matter :lookaroun I really need to work on 10,000. I have been stuck in the 9,500 range for a long time and I don't even get post count credit for posting here

I don't even know what my post count is :lol:

I too would like to thank Steve and the mods for all of their hard work!!!

Shaman

as if you know what it's like to run a website :rolleyes: Until you walk in their shoes, you have no idea :lookaroun

However, I hear you do fall into the HOTT catagory ....so says Reg

:p

Ha!
:king::cool::lol:

and since the can of worms is open.....I'll tell you what is really sad.

Going to Magic thinking you are going to meet someone from the boards and they ditch you :cry: :lookaroun

You have to pick a park where Donald has close to zero presence. :lookaroun:lol:

wdwmomof3

I found this thread interesting to say the least. I started posting on here to learn as much as I can about Disney and also to help where I can and I have loved it. Your point is valid and thanks for bringing it to everyones attention. Maybe everyone will listen and be a little more careful with their words. :)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have not read all of the nearly 100 posts but this topic comes up from time to time so I will weigh in with my opinion on the matter.

I am a member of a couple of Disney forums and quite a few computer hardware and overclocking forums and I can say that WDWMagic is simply the best run and moderated forum I have ever been on and I am proud to say that I am a WDWMagic member and supporter. If you want to see hostility go into nearly any overclocking forum and you will see people berated and called names that would get a movie a R rating for simply asking about a particular video card water block. The majority of the active members at WDWMagic are kind, helpful and open minded. As in any large group of people you will find people that are lees than pleasant and feel it is their duty to point out how much more educated, cultured, moral and or Disney wise than others out there.

All I can do is make sure that I am the former. To quote ClemsonTigger "Lead by example". If I see a 5th gate thread I glance at it and if it the same old stuff I ignore it. If someone asks how to get from MK to FW I try to help out. If someone misspells a word or uses incorrect grammar I ignore if. If I find a post extremely offensive I report it and let the moderators do their jobs. Until Steve makes me a moderator I will not pretend to be one.

So who is up for Dole whips and Figaro fries?

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I have not read all of the nearly 100 posts but this topic comes up from time to time so I will weigh in with my opinion on the matter.

I am a member of a couple of Disney forums and quite a few computer hardware and overclocking forums and I can say that WDWMagic is simply the best run and moderated forum I have ever been on and I am proud to say that I am a WDWMagic member and supporter. If you want to see hostility go into nearly any overclocking forum and you will see people berated and called names that would get a movie a R rating for simply asking about a particular video card water block. The majority of the active members at WDWMagic are kind, helpful and open minded. As in any large group of people you will find people that are lees than pleasant and feel it is their duty to point out how much more educated, cultured, moral and or Disney wise than others out there.

All I can do is make sure that I am the former. To quote ClemsonTigger "Lead by example". If I see a 5th gate thread I glance at it and if it the same old stuff I ignore it. If someone asks how to get from MK to FW I try to help out. If someone misspells a word or uses incorrect grammar I ignore if. If I find a post extremely offensive I report it and let the moderators do their jobs. Until Steve makes me a moderator I will not pretend to be one.

Meet ya in Adventureland!

pinkrose

::wave:

slappy magoo

I don't know who will be reading this post now that the thread's been moved to Chit Chat, the "Island of Misfit Threads," if you will, but I wanted to add my irrelevant opinion...

I've been on this forum for about 3 years now, and in all that time, there's never been a time where I didn't think SOMEONE was an a-hole.

Some a-holes wrote like they were trying to start a fight. Others were passive-aggressive a-holes, starting a hundred threads a day, practically screaming "Notice me, notice me!" A-holes who'd get hostile, a-holes who'd wallow in self-pity. A-holes who'd ADMIT they were being a-holes: "I like stirring up s**t, and YOU'RE an idiot for falling for it" kinda a-holes. A-holes who'd suddenly spout something completely inappropriate (misogynistic, racist, xenophobic, homophobic, pro-death-of-anyone-who-bows-to-Mecca, and so on, in a Disney forum). Plenty of a-holes in my 3+ years, possibly (but not necessarily) including people who are now complaining about all the negativity on the forum now, contributing to that very negativity without knowing it or admitting it...

And I'm sure there's been plenty of times people thought *I* was an a-hole. Of course, what do I care what they think? They're a-holes :D

I kept coming back, not only because I like WDW and enjoy discussing it, but because the a-holes were markedly few and far-between, especially compared to any other forum I visit. The mods - you remember, those people who aren't doing their jobs? :rolleyes: - do a fantastic job, and they do it because THEY like the forum and like WDW. Quite frankly, I find the whole thread an insult, not to me, but for them. The mods, for free, try to keep this place an interesting and fun place. They're constantly treading that line between letting people express themselves freely without being blatant a-holes or threatening other forum members, and the fragile egos of others who always know a better way to run the forum yet seem leery of volunteering THEIR time. And instead of writing a PM to address your concerns, you decide to call them out in a thread. If you were in WDW and saw a guest telling a CM how to do his/her job, you'd want to smack that guest upside the head (or at least write a thread about it). IMHO, this is no different than that.

I'm not saying "If you don't like it, leave," but let's face it, just because you'd like this place to be run differently doesn't mean it has to be. I'm sure most of us deep down think "This place would be great if everyone were more like ME!" But that's boring. Either offer to be a mod (if they're even looking), start your OWN forum the way you think it ought to be run, or learn how to deal with a-holes better. In case you haven't noticed when you leave the computer...they're everywhere. I see a-holes...they're everywhere...but they don't they're a-holes...

lunarsquid

Also, keep in mind that the internet has never been able to communicate the tone-of-voice of someone... I constantly have to retype my comments, because I have a very dry sense of humor that just doesn't come through in a typed message. things like :D, :lookaroun, and occasionally a :hammer:can help, but not everyone can pick up on the subtlety.

That being said, you learn quickly who's usually in a grouchy mood, and you just learn to take what they say with a grain of salt.

MouseMadness

I got an "a-hole" count of 16 in slappy's post... is that what everybody else came up with? :lookaroun

Or am I the only one who counted? :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom