A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes: A March 2011 Disney Wedding/Honeymoon Trip Report

It’s official! Brett and I are finally married and I couldn’t be more excited. We had the most perfect wedding day ever, at our most favorite place in the whole entire world. And of course, as expected, it went by all too quickly. I’m not going to lie, coming down off the high that was our Disney wedding/cruise/honeymoon has been tough. In fact, I'm hoping that writing up/posting this trip report will help me work through some of that. However, I’ve spent much of my spare time in the last few weeks staring at a blank word document... writer’s block? Never heard of it! :lol:

For the first time ever, in all my trip report writing, I did a pre-trip report. It lays out most of the wedding-related details, but for those of you out there who are like me and rarely read pre-trip reports, here’s a quick rundown of events:

Wednesday, March 16, 2011: Drive down, check in offsite for the night
Thursday, March 17, 2011: Check-in, Disney’s Polynesian Resort
Friday, March 18, 2011: Wedding Day, Sunset Pointe
Sunday, March 20, 2011: Board Disney Dream for a 4 night Bahamas cruise
Thursday, March 24, 2011: Check-in, Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
Sunday, March 27, 2011: Check out and head home

We kind of saw this trip as having three legs: Wedding/Cruise/Disney!

A look back at our Disney trip reports: September 2008 (Contemporary), December 2008 (Old Key West), January 2009 (Port Orleans Riverside & Disney Marathon), July 2009 (Wilderness Lodge Villas/Animal Kingdom Lodge), December 2009 (Beach Club Villas), March 2010 (Pop Century & Princess Half), June 2010 (Coronado Springs), August 2010 (Polynesian & Engagement), December 2010 (Kidani Village)

This was our first time on DCL, however, we’ve cruised a handful of times before. So if anyone is interested, those trip reports can be found here: May 2009 (Carnival Liberty), December 2009 (Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas), May 2010 (Emerald Princess), June 2010 (Norwegian Sky)

Oh dear. I feel like I’m embarking on what will be the longest trip report EVER (and I’ve written some long ones). My apologies in advance, as it will likely take awhile to get this report up in its entirety. The good news though, is that I’ve completed the text all the way up through the wedding, so we’ll get to that part fairly quickly!

With all that said, let the memories begin...

IMG_3834.jpg

foreverbelle

Wahoo! You are finally on your honeymoon! :sohappy:

The Dream looks amazing. Seriously its gorgeous and you have dif. perked my interest in going now. So much so that we may need to book it ourselves!

I am so sorry to hear about your first night. What a bummer of a way to start out the trip but I know you, and I don't think you let this ruin your entire trip!

So did you ever find that couple?? I think that would be amazing to catch and to have it photographed!!

Can't wait to see the rest!!

Btw you know have my hubby lurking around on the boards, trying to convince him to sign up so he too can comment.

HouCuseChickie

Ugh- I was trying to catch up on your TR when a different - and highly inferior - mouse beckoned. Yes- a birthday party at Chuck E Cheese. :hurl: You guys really saw a TON of characters in such a short period of time. Love the Minnie/Mickey art. Sorry you were feeling sick. My parents are big cruise fanatics...and it's funny how some ships/some ports/certain trips end up being hard on people- never can guess which one will do that. Well, now I totally want to try DCL...we're not even big cruise people. Hope all went well with your move. Can't wait to read more! :wave:

Mickey92

Thanks Holly for the reply :) Im sure you'll find a time when you could possibly and sneekily wear that dress again!

EDIT: Stupid Question Answered by my Stupid Self :) No Worries anymore! Just had to look at your first post for your previous trip reports that are in order! :D

Ariel484

Oh yeah, and I LOVE the new avatar!

Thanks! So kind of you to notice! :D

Fabulous pictures, as usual. The Aquaduck looks like so much fun! I hope that you guys got to ride it.

Hooray for more character meets! The panorama of all of the characters at the sail away is super cute.

I'm so sorry that you didn't feel well during your first night! What crappy luck. Hopefully a good night of sleep cured all.

So how many lenses WERE you carrying with you that you needed to stop and rest?? :lol:

ETA: Forgot to add, love the piece of art that you guys picked out! It's perfect.

diddy_mouse

Imagine, a place designed for kids to climb all over the Nemo characters. :lookaroun Never seen that before. :lol: :lol:

Ha! Zing! :lol:

You have packed so many wonderful details into the part of your report it's hard to believe you've just left port! I can only imagine how Nassau is and I can't wait to see the pictures. So exciting!

sweetpee_1993

Ooooohhhh....I looooove it! I'm sooo excited for our turn to explore the Dream in September. Love love loved all your pics. Everything is so gorgeous. How sad that you got sick on your first night. I hope that was the end of the queezies. Can't wait to see more. Lovin' it! Thanks for all the fab details! :wave:

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We were on RCI. Majesty of the Seas. We had a great time. 4 night itinerary: Nassau, Coco Cay, and Key West. First cruise for both of us. And first time in the Bahamas/Caribbean for us! I am not lying when I say I have never seen such beautiful, clear, emerald green water in all my life! Coco Cay was THE ideal Caribbean island. We visited Atlantis in Nassau, snorkeled in Coco Cay (my new hobby that I didn't know I had!) and shopped in Key West. Which was probably my favorite port of all. We then stayed an extra night in Miami, which is a city I'm not too fond of.

Seriously, your stateroom looks as big as ours, and we had a Junior Suite with a balcony! (which I LOVED having btw). Overall, it was a nice ship. Small, and obviously one of their older ones, but they have everything set nice and the rooms are newly refuribushed I believe. The food, not so fabulous, but Ian thought it was great! (He has not ever eaten Disney food ). As soon as I get all my pictures uploaded, I'm going to do a TR on cruise critic. That's my plan anyway.

The same thing happened to me our first night, I got horribly sick and had to leave dinner. The water wasn't so rough, I think it was more that I wasn't used to it and they sat me going backwards during dinner (I told them the next time that i had to be sitting going the same direction of the ship haha). And the elevators were WEIRD. That feeling of moving and not being able to see yourself move when you are inside without windows bothers me. We were on deck 10 also, and when I got back to the room, I sat on the balcony and got some fresh air and didn't get sick again the rest of the trip!

Oh, and now I ABSOLUTELY have to get on that ship! I am contemplating changing our originally planned week long Disney trip the week before Christmas to a Disney cruise instead! Or at least a combo of the two! Brett and I may be going alone though, as my hubby can't keep up with my vaca style

That's a great itinerary for your first cruise. I love Key West and the private islands always make for the perfect beach day. I loved Coco Cay when I visited... we cruised on the Monarch (sister ship to the Majesty) for NYE 2009 and we had the teensiest rooms ever. I think due to it being a much older ship. So I definitely believe you when you say that the standard stateroom on Disney looks about the size of the junior suite on the Majesty. Hooray for having a balcony!!! That's something we have yet to do.

Interesting you pointed out the food, because overall I'm never very impressed with cruise ship food (DCL included). It just can't compare to what you get at WDW.

Let me know once you start your review on cruisecritic so I can check it out... I've done all my cruise reports over there and it really is a great board.

Wahoo! You are finally on your honeymoon!

The Dream looks amazing. Seriously its gorgeous and you have dif. perked my interest in going now. So much so that we may need to book it ourselves!

I am so sorry to hear about your first night. What a bummer of a way to start out the trip but I know you, and I don't think you let this ruin your entire trip!

So did you ever find that couple?? I think that would be amazing to catch and to have it photographed!!

Can't wait to see the rest!!

Btw you know have my hubby lurking around on the boards, trying to convince him to sign up so he too can comment.

I definitely felt better by the next day and I was ready to go. Unfortunately, Brett came down with a really nasty head cold for the rest of our cruise... but we still made the best of it. Spoiler alert: I did finally find the couple that got engaged. :D

Lurk away, Andy! :wave:

Ugh- I was trying to catch up on your TR when a different - and highly inferior - mouse beckoned. Yes- a birthday party at Chuck E Cheese. :hurl: You guys really saw a TON of characters in such a short period of time. Love the Minnie/Mickey art. Sorry you were feeling sick. My parents are big cruise fanatics...and it's funny how some ships/some ports/certain trips end up being hard on people- never can guess which one will do that. Well, now I totally want to try DCL...we're not even big cruise people. Hope all went well with your move. Can't wait to read more!

Ahh... Chuck E. Cheese. I remember when it used to be Showbiz Pizza! Those were the days; it was cool then, but now? Not so much. :lol:

You just wait... there's a bazillion more character pictures still to come. They were just so easy to find and we couldn't help ourselves from meeting them in all their different cruise attire!

Thanks Holly for the reply :) Im sure you'll find a time when you could possibly and sneekily wear that dress again!

EDIT: Stupid Question Answered by my Stupid Self :) No Worries anymore! Just had to look at your first post for your previous trip reports that are in order! :D

Thoughts of doing a "trash the dress" session have crept into my mind... if only to wear the dress again!!

I can't wait!!

Yay!

Thanks! So kind of you to notice!

Fabulous pictures, as usual. The Aquaduck looks like so much fun! I hope that you guys got to ride it.

Hooray for more character meets! The panorama of all of the characters at the sail away is super cute.

I'm so sorry that you didn't feel well during your first night! What crappy luck. Hopefully a good night of sleep cured all.

So how many lenses WERE you carrying with you that you needed to stop and rest??

ETA: Forgot to add, love the piece of art that you guys picked out! It's perfect.

We definitely made time for the Aquaduck... that's coming up on our Nassau day.

Let's see, we were carrying the camera, four lenses, my external flash, a video camera and laptop to dump pictures on! :eek: The video camera was Derek's and we never once pulled it out to use. Looks like we're not video camera people; although, I keep saying I want to shoot some video. iPhone video is much easier to handle and carry about so maybe I'll go that route. :D

Ha! Zing! :lol:

You have packed so many wonderful details into the part of your report it's hard to believe you've just left port! I can only imagine how Nassau is and I can't wait to see the pictures. So exciting!

I know, right?! I was a picture-takin' fool when we boarded the ship, and again on Castaway Cay. The other two days (Nassau and the sea day) are going to be much shorter in length.

Ooooohhhh....I looooove it! I'm sooo excited for our turn to explore the Dream in September. Love love loved all your pics. Everything is so gorgeous. How sad that you got sick on your first night. I hope that was the end of the queezies. Can't wait to see more. Lovin' it! Thanks for all the fab details!

You know, September is going to be here before you know it!

WDWFigment

Wow, even already, the Cruise looks awesome. I didn't realize the character photo ops were so prime! We already wanted to book one before, but now we really want to go!

Sorry to hear about the disappointing end to the first night.

MillerPoppins

Awwww Holly such a bummer to hear you got sick. But to be honest, the same thing probably would have happened to me. I always get horribly sea sick on major seas. Tim's going to have to help me with that on our first cruise together. He's got a cheating advantage...working on cruise ships for ten years!!!

Anyways, your pictures are amazing as always and you two look SO happy!!! Can't wait to read more and see more of your pictures!

disneygirl1

YAY!!! I been waiting for the Cruise portion for your trip!!! :sohappy: OMG you are getting me SO excited to cruise! I can not wait to get on that ship in April!

fractal

Holly,

Loving it, loving it, loving IT!

Thanks for giving us all a lesson on how to make a great trip report even better.

and Chip and Dale are definately "boss"!

tiaragirl

Ohhhh my goodness, love, you know that I'm sitting here (like Kelly, I imagine) drooooooling and getting so excited for my cruise! Your pictures really give me a better idea than the ones on the website do - yay!

Comments:

I'm pretty sure you said "our family" was the one of the first to be called - or something like it. Heart warming, for sureeee, you guys are the cutest little famjam.

Back to the Golden Mickeys... we were both completely geeking out over the somewhat random song choices! Seriously, “I’ll Make a Man out of You,” “Son of Man,” and “Out There!” Amazing. To see Tarzan and The Hunchback of Notre Dame get some love was pretty great, too

This. The fact that the Hunchback is in that show absolutely puts it over the top for me. It's one of my favourite animated Disneys, and when they took the show out of DHS it broke my little heart (little as I was little ;) ). Plus "I'll Make A Man Out Of You" is just epic.

PERFECT painting! I hope we hear it was purchased - though the Daisy/Donald combo would have been cute as well.

AND FINALLY: I'm sorry you got sick =( happened to me in May and missing supper was the saddest.

Can't wait to read 'da rest!

fmingo36

Sorry to hear you got sick on your first night. I hope you felt the next day.
Love the pictures from the cruise so far. Other than Disney, cruising is my second favorite vacation. I actually met my husband on a cruise:kiss:.

I would LOVE to do a Disney cruise but it's just so expensive compared to other cruise lines. Since you've traveled on a what seems like a bunch of other cruise lines, honestly is the Disney cruise line worth the extra $$$? (If you say yes and give plenty of reason why--MAYBE i can convince my hubby we should try and book one for next year. :animwink:

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Wow, even already, the Cruise looks awesome. I didn't realize the character photo ops were so prime! We already wanted to book one before, but now we really want to go!

Sorry to hear about the disappointing end to the first night.

Not only are the characters everywhere, but I swear there are less autograph books involved, because the lines don’t seem to take nearly as long. And almost any time we saw characters on the top decks during the day, there was hardly a line at all. We met Minnie Mouse at one point and then watched her spend the rest of her “set” cheering for kids as they slid down the Mickey slide. :lol:

Awwww Holly such a bummer to hear you got sick. But to be honest, the same thing probably would have happened to me. I always get horribly sea sick on major seas. Tim's going to have to help me with that on our first cruise together. He's got a cheating advantage...working on cruise ships for ten years!!!

Anyways, your pictures are amazing as always and you two look SO happy!!! Can't wait to read more and see more of your pictures!

Ooh… do you and Tim have a potential cruise booked? I’m curious about his take on things, being a former cruise line employee and all.

We were/are sooooo happy! Glad it shows. :D

YAY!!! I been waiting for the Cruise portion for your trip!!! OMG you are getting me SO excited to cruise! I can not wait to get on that ship in April!

You are going to absolutely LOVE it!

Holly,

Loving it, loving it, loving IT!

Thanks for giving us all a lesson on how to make a great trip report even better.

and Chip and Dale are definately "boss"!

Thanks, Chris. Gotta find that balance among text/photos/reviews.

Ohhhh my goodness, love, you know that I'm sitting here (like Kelly, I imagine) drooooooling and getting so excited for my cruise! Your pictures really give me a better idea than the ones on the website do - yay!

Comments:
I'm pretty sure you said "our family" was the one of the first to be called - or something like it. Heart warming, for sureeee, you guys are the cutest little famjam.

This. The fact that the Hunchback is in that show absolutely puts it over the top for me. It's one of my favourite animated Disneys, and when they took the show out of DHS it broke my little heart (little as I was little ). Plus "I'll Make A Man Out Of You" is just epic.

PERFECT painting! I hope we hear it was purchased - though the Daisy/Donald combo would have been cute as well.

AND FINALLY: I'm sorry you got sick happened to me in May and missing supper was the saddest.

Can't wait to read 'da rest!

I joked with Brett that they were going to announce us as the Hollybelle family, because I had handled our booking, but then when we were about to walk on they asked for our family name. I hesitated… Huh. What?! First time to hear it aloud. :D Although, it was a bit awkward because we were announced to an empty ship. :lookaroun

Isn’t missing dinner the worst?! Ugghh… that is the first time it has actually happened to me. It happened to my mom on the first night of our NYE cruise last year. Not fun at all. Luckily, all I needed to feel better was the heavenly interior stateroom bed!

Hunchback and Hercules are like the forgotten classics. Therefore, I was totally blown away by the fact that they were included, and so well at that!!!

Sorry to hear you got sick on your first night. I hope you felt the next day.
Love the pictures from the cruise so far. Other than Disney, cruising is my second favorite vacation. I actually met my husband on a cruise.

I would LOVE to do a Disney cruise but it's just so expensive compared to other cruise lines. Since you've traveled on a what seems like a bunch of other cruise lines, honestly is the Disney cruise line worth the extra $$$? (If you say yes and give plenty of reason why--MAYBE i can convince my hubby we should try and book one for next year.

Hmmm… this is a great question. Short answer: YES it is absolutely worth it for any Disney fan.

Long-winded Hollybelle answer… Why do you and your hubby cruise? And by the way, the fact that you actually met on a cruise is pretty fantastic! :) Personally, I like cruises for the PORTS. I’m all about the ports of call and can’t wait for the day I get on one of those 7 night Southern Caribbean cruises that stops in SIX different ports and gives me a chance to sample lots of adult beverages and local culture in each one. :wave: Cruising is kind of like the perfect mode of transportation to get to all the places I want to go. :D

Whereas, on DCL, the ship itself is the destination… does that make sense? The décor, design, ambiance, characters, theming, shows, rotational dining, and pirate night all had me wanting to spend more time on the ship then I’ve ever wanted to spend on other lines.

I’ve never cared much for the shows on any of the lines we’ve cruised, so there is one place that DCL definitely scores MAJOR points with me. We planned our evenings around the shows on DCL. On other lines we skip them altogether without a second thought. And the rotational dining is absolutely genius. You get the familiarity of having the same servers throughout the whole cruise (like on other lines), but you get to go to different dining rooms. It makes the whole dining experience so much more exciting. Like, you’re going to a different restaurant each night and not the same dining room over and over. HUGE pro for Disney.

Obviously, the characters are a huge draw for us. And if you’ve been to any of the different cruise lines private islands and enjoyed what they had to offer, then you absolutely have to try DCL even if for Castaway Cay alone. I’ve been to Coco Cay (RCI), Great Stirrup Cay (NCL), and Princess Cays (Princess), and they are each wonderful… yet none of them can match Disney. It’s Disney. And in the end, for a Disney fan who likes to cruise, you owe it to yourself to splurge and try DCL at least once.

We’ll likely book another Disney cruise (in fact, we’re looking into the Fantasy right now), but it’ll be a ways off. And in the meantime, we’ll definitely continue to cruise on other lines as well.

Thoughts? Or does the husband need more convincing?! I can always continue. :lol:

HollyBelle

Original Poster
My apologies, the next update won’t be until this weekend because I have to attend a conference beginning tomorrow and lasting through Friday. You know the kind of conference where every minute of your day is planned from 8am to 9pm? :rolleyes: Yeah - it’s one of those. Not the cool kind where you can bail out of sessions here and there to do something fun, like update a trip report. :lookaroun :lol:

Now... time to go pack. Booo.

plaz10

This is probably the only time I will EVER say this...but I'm glad your update won't be until the weekend:eek:

I just started a new job today and Bill started his medical rotations today...so crazy busy day in our house. This is also why I have not posted a TR yet...I have started the text but it's nowhere near complete. But yes, I do have something to report on:animwink:my way of letting you know...without giving you the detail and making you wait!!:lol:muwahaha!

But seriously I was almost late for my first day of work today because I was reading up on the cruise portion while eating breakfast. Yikes. Don't think they'd understand I was late due to a Hollybelle TR update - unless they read them because then they'd TOTALLY understand!

Love the hula time art! So perfect for you guys. Hope it was a purchase.

The TR is phenomenal by the way - keep up the good work. Sorry to hear about the seasickness on the first night...definitely not the way to spend first night on cruise w/new hubby. (wink wink, nudge nudge...family site so clearly I mean snuggling) I've never cruised before but I'm trying to talk Bill into it....but when we only get one vacation a year, I'd rather it be Disney World than a cruise. So jury is still out on that one.

Have fun at the conference!!!

sweetpee_1993

Me, too. Glad we're waiting for the weekend for the next installment. I'm in Pensacola currently sitting at the DMV waiting for Chandler to take his written test for his permit. :eek: We'll be at Gramma's house this week being entertained with family. The only internet we get is at Starbucks or my iPhone. I hate reading reports on the iPhone. It just doesn't do your gorgeous pictures justice. Happy Conferencing! We'll "see" ya this weekend! :wave:

Wow! Lookit me and my patient little self! I deserve a cookie!!! Nom Nom Nom Nom!!! :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom