A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes: A March 2011 Disney Wedding/Honeymoon Trip Report

It’s official! Brett and I are finally married and I couldn’t be more excited. We had the most perfect wedding day ever, at our most favorite place in the whole entire world. And of course, as expected, it went by all too quickly. I’m not going to lie, coming down off the high that was our Disney wedding/cruise/honeymoon has been tough. In fact, I'm hoping that writing up/posting this trip report will help me work through some of that. However, I’ve spent much of my spare time in the last few weeks staring at a blank word document... writer’s block? Never heard of it! :lol:

For the first time ever, in all my trip report writing, I did a pre-trip report. It lays out most of the wedding-related details, but for those of you out there who are like me and rarely read pre-trip reports, here’s a quick rundown of events:

Wednesday, March 16, 2011: Drive down, check in offsite for the night
Thursday, March 17, 2011: Check-in, Disney’s Polynesian Resort
Friday, March 18, 2011: Wedding Day, Sunset Pointe
Sunday, March 20, 2011: Board Disney Dream for a 4 night Bahamas cruise
Thursday, March 24, 2011: Check-in, Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
Sunday, March 27, 2011: Check out and head home

We kind of saw this trip as having three legs: Wedding/Cruise/Disney!

A look back at our Disney trip reports: September 2008 (Contemporary), December 2008 (Old Key West), January 2009 (Port Orleans Riverside & Disney Marathon), July 2009 (Wilderness Lodge Villas/Animal Kingdom Lodge), December 2009 (Beach Club Villas), March 2010 (Pop Century & Princess Half), June 2010 (Coronado Springs), August 2010 (Polynesian & Engagement), December 2010 (Kidani Village)

This was our first time on DCL, however, we’ve cruised a handful of times before. So if anyone is interested, those trip reports can be found here: May 2009 (Carnival Liberty), December 2009 (Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas), May 2010 (Emerald Princess), June 2010 (Norwegian Sky)

Oh dear. I feel like I’m embarking on what will be the longest trip report EVER (and I’ve written some long ones). My apologies in advance, as it will likely take awhile to get this report up in its entirety. The good news though, is that I’ve completed the text all the way up through the wedding, so we’ll get to that part fairly quickly!

With all that said, let the memories begin...

IMG_3834.jpg

PartOfYourWorld

The Dream looks beautiful!!!! Can't wait to see more pictures!

And love the Chip and Dale interaction!! Those two are always so funny :) They are some of my favorites!

joanna71985

Loving the Dream pictures! I REALLY want to take a Disney cruise sometime in the near future (I've never been on a cruise before), and I would love to go on DCL as my first. Plus, I would love to see all the characters!

maggiegrace1

I have been waiting for this!..we just got back and OMG we are already planning another LONGER one!!

The Dream is AMAZING!!...The staff, the rooms, the food, the SHOWS!..:D the character experiences...BEST CRUISE EVER!..No other line will ever compare and that is if you have kids or do not!

It is worth EVERY single penny..Oh I miss it!..:D

I did not post a report but I have pics on fb...I will send you and anyone the links to the albums if they want!..:D

HollyBelle

Original Poster
OMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!! Thank you, Holly! You're the bestest ever for taking all those awesome pics for me with the full crowd report! I totally think we have the right plan for our embarkation day. I took a cue from you and grabbed us a 7:30 a.m. Kona Cafe ADR so I'd time our drive over to the port just right. I hope we get that good of parking, too. I love the thought that the car will be in the shade. Ugh! My car has black interior so it gets so super-mega hot it's not even funny. If I'm in the shade in the garage I can skip the sunshade in the front dash and crack the windows. WooHOOO!

Look at y'all lucky-duckies with your Group 1 boarding assignment! Cha-ching, baby! I'm crossing my fingers for anything in the 1st 5. Yes, I'll be up at midnight the day of our pre-sailing check-in date so I can get as early an arrival time as possible. There's been some recent reports tying the port arrival time to the boarding group assignments.

Love love looooove your Chip-n-Dale interaction score! Fantastic stuff!!!

Again, I can't thank you enough for all the info and pictures. What a pal!

(((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))

Yay! I hope the pictures help at least a little bit. Of course, now that they seem to be enforcing the arrival times, it may be quite different. It definitely only took an hour to get to the port, so I think your morning plan will work out perfectly. You should also experience the same situation with the parking garage if you are there early. The Dream is the only Disney ship going in and out of Port Canaveral right now so it makes sense that the garages completely empties out the morning a ship returns to port and then fills right back up that very same day.

I was super stoked about the #1 Boarding pass. We really were the fourth or fifth family to board. If you make it on anywhere in the first five, you'll be just fine. And if the guys are anxious to get on the Aquaduck they should just wear their trunks with a t shirt to the port. They had it up and running shortly after we got on. And the first people to get on were able to ride over and over with next to no wait.

I'll be honest, I've never really had any interest in going on a cruise. The Disney parks is where it's at for me... But just looking at the few pics you've posted so far, and I've changed my mind! The Dream looks BEAUTIFUL!!!! I think we may have to look into a crusie for 2013!!! :)

She really is an amazing ship. And so well themed (of course). You could always pair a short three day cruise with a trip to Disney that way you get the best of both worlds. It's a good way to try cruising to see if it's for you.

yay! you have boarded the disney dream! woo hoo! your pictures are amazing! and how great that you had such a fun interaction with chip and dale! i swear, you and brett have more fun stories about meeting characters than anyone i know! :lol: sounds like your honeymoon was off to a great start!! can't wait to read more.

Finally, right?! I hope to get the rest of our boarding day posted sometime this evening or first thing tomorrow morning.

I'm thinking the "fun character interactions" are a result of two things. First, volume. The more often you get in character lines, the more likely you'll get a crazy interaction. And second, we try to engage the characters with some kind of comment that will encourage them to interact with us differently than the norm. Sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't.

Yay Holly! Finally some Dream pics!! How awesome that you guys got to board with the first group! It really led to some great picture opportunities. :) I am TOTALLY jealous of your Chip and Dale interaction. They are my favorite! I love seeing them when there are not many people around and they can really play up the antics. Can't wait for more!!

I was so excited about that boarding pass!!! I adore Chip and Dale and the Chip and Dale on the Dream played off each other so incredibly well. Throughout the entire cruise you could just tell that they were so accustomed to one another. Of course, it makes sense, but it was great to see.

The Dream looks beautiful!!!! Can't wait to see more pictures!

And love the Chip and Dale interaction!! Those two are always so funny :) They are some of my favorites!

Mine, too. There's more of them to come!

Loving the Dream pictures! I REALLY want to take a Disney cruise sometime in the near future (I've never been on a cruise before), and I would love to go on DCL as my first. Plus, I would love to see all the characters!

You should definitely try a cruise, Joanna. For us character fans, it is amazing. Especially that first one, where you get to meet the characters in all these different outfits that you haven't met them in yet. You would LOVE it.

I have been waiting for this!..we just got back and OMG we are already planning another LONGER one!!

The Dream is AMAZING!!...The staff, the rooms, the food, the SHOWS!..:D the character experiences...BEST CRUISE EVER!..No other line will ever compare and that is if you have kids or do not!

It is worth EVERY single penny..Oh I miss it!..:D

I did not post a report but I have pics on fb...I will send you and anyone the links to the albums if they want!..:D

OMG! You're back already. I'm sorry I didn't get any Dream stuff posted before you left. But I'm happy to hear that you LOVED it. I see you put the shows in all caps... that was the part of the cruise that really blew me away. Mostly because I've never been a fan of the shows on other ships. I knew I'd enjoy the Disney shows, but I don't think I knew just how much I would fall in love with them.

It's definitely worth every penny. Now that we're back, we're trying to find a time to book the Fantasy.

Fashionista007

Sideways glance, smile, twinkle. Got it! :ROFLOL:

I am now SO excited for our Disney Dream cruise in Nov 2012! Yep, I too booked a Disney cruise more than a year out. But we're smart because I hear that the prices go up based on availability. I booked mine literally the day the rates came out. My travel agent rocks!

I can't wait to see more of the Disney dream! You both look so blissfully happy it brings a tear to my eye :)

maggiegrace1

OMG! You're back already. I'm sorry I didn't get any Dream stuff posted before you left. But I'm happy to hear that you LOVED it. I see you put the shows in all caps... that was the part of the cruise that really blew me away. Mostly because I've never been a fan of the shows on other ships. I knew I'd enjoy the Disney shows, but I don't think I knew just how much I would fall in love with them.

It's definitely worth every penny. Now that we're back, we're trying to find a time to book the Fantasy.

Shows were amazing....:sohappy: and we are planning our next trip for the Fantasy also...I do not know if I could ever cruise on another line ever again!..

Oh and I posted a somewhat trip report here with links to my pics..:D

Ariel484

Glad to hear that the move went okay...moving is just THE WORST. :hurl:

Great update! I can just feel the excitement looking at your pictures...you both look thrilled!

Awesome job with the character meets...4 already and you just got on the ship! I am impressed. :sohappy:

DiPSU224

Your update has put me in a good mood before work! I adore how much you guys love character interaction. I may have mentioned this before that we never meet characters because I always feel so awkward. I think I have taken my picture a total of 2 times with Mickey as an adult (I know..crazy!) I never know what to do with them! Can't wait to see what other characters you guys find on the ship.

Add me to the short list of those who don't really have the desire to do the cruise, but not because the DCL ships look nothing short of amazing. Since our trips to WDW are becoming quite infrequent, I'm afraid I'd miss the parks way too much and would regret spending the money on the cruise instead of a week long parks vacation....haha does that make sense?

Bring on more of the Dream!

Holly, I'm also enjoying your report of your cruise. We haven't booked one yet but thinking about it for sometime next year. I really appreciated the detailed boarding report. I'm wondering how it would've been if you hadn't received the "special" pass. Is it first come first serve with that? In other words, I'm wondering how to get to board the earliest. Because let me tell you....I'm LOVING your empty ship pics. That's SO something I would want to do!

One other question: since you've cruised a bunch on other ships (non-Disney), would you rank theme for me against Disney. I'm sure Disney is numero uno but I'm having a difficult time convincing some of my family to cruise Disney vs. the others b/c of the cost. They've found cheaper cruises and can't understand why we should sail Disney and pay more. Of course, I have no desire whatsoever to EVER cruise any other ship but Disney. No one in my family has ever cruised on any cruise line so we have no point of reference. I've already told them about the good points (the shows, the kid's only areas, the adults only areas, the aquaduck, the terrific restaurants, the virtual porthole, Castaway Cay) and they think they can be just as entertained on other ships. Any words of advice in comparing the ships? Thanks so much in advance!

meganw1985

So glad I didn't miss much since I've been on my HONEYMOON!!! How weird is that?! We were parked next to the Dream in Nassau, and I was contemplating ways to stow aboard. I love love love the horn! I got a pretty sweet panorama picture of it from my balcony too! Can't wait to hear about your ports of call!!

diddy_mouse

Yay! I'm so glad the honeymoon report is starting!

First off I've got two words for you: POG juice!!! :slurp: I swear, if Brandon and I end up going this December (fingers crossed) I will meet you at the Poly and treat you to an Island Sunset. I miss POG juice so much...I haven't had it since I lived in Hawaii.

The Dream looks absolutely breathtaking! I can only imagine how excited you guys were heading onto the ship. Aww...And how awesome are Chip and Dale? Those chipmunks are just too cool. You and Brett definitely have the best character stories.

Can't wait to read more about the Best Cruise Ever. :D

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Sideways glance, smile, twinkle. Got it!

I am now SO excited for our Disney Dream cruise in Nov 2012! Yep, I too booked a Disney cruise more than a year out. But we're smart because I hear that the prices go up based on availability. I booked mine literally the day the rates came out. My travel agent rocks!

I can't wait to see more of the Disney dream! You both look so blissfully happy it brings a tear to my eye

Yeah, I’ve recently looked into booking one closer to the current date and the prices are ridiculous. It doesn’t help though, that the Dream only has a really small number of inside staterooms, and once you get out of that category the prices are crazy. So, of course they all book up first.

More Dream coming up soon!

Shows were amazing....and we are planning our next trip for the Fantasy also...I do not know if I could ever cruise on another line ever again!..

Oh and I posted a somewhat trip report here with links to my pics..:D

Where’s your report, Dana? I’m off to find it! Who else have you cruised with? I really fell in love with Princess when we cruised on the Emerald last May. No, it’s not Disney, but then again neither is the price. :lol:

Also, we had a 11:30-12:00 arrival time for the Dream and were in boarding group 5..we got there around 10 and no one was there..

So they let you in the terminal early even though you had the 11:30 arrival time? That’s a great boarding group assignment!

Glad to hear that the move went okay...moving is just THE WORST.

Great update! I can just feel the excitement looking at your pictures...you both look thrilled!

Awesome job with the character meets...4 already and you just got on the ship! I am impressed.

It really was so exciting!! Yep 4 already, and many more to come. I swear, but the end of the cruise we had met EVERY character, in each of his/her different outfits. We’re not weird, I promise!

Oh yeah, and I LOVE the new avatar!

Your update has put me in a good mood before work! I adore how much you guys love character interaction. I may have mentioned this before that we never meet characters because I always feel so awkward. I think I have taken my picture a total of 2 times with Mickey as an adult (I know..crazy!) I never know what to do with them! Can't wait to see what other characters you guys find on the ship.

Add me to the short list of those who don't really have the desire to do the cruise, but not because the DCL ships look nothing short of amazing. Since our trips to WDW are becoming quite infrequent, I'm afraid I'd miss the parks way too much and would regret spending the money on the cruise instead of a week long parks vacation....haha does that make sense?

Bring on more of the Dream!

I’ll admit, I sometimes feel rather awkward meeting the princesses, but not the rest of the characters. One thing to remember is that the *characters* are adults. And something has clearly drawn them to that role, probably their own love of characters in a lot of cases. So I really do feel like they get it. Mickey’s one of the more difficult characters to get an *interesting* reaction out of. Chip and Dale on the other hand… go find them. They’ll fawn all over you and Chris can take the pictures. :animwink:

Makes total sense. In fact, with Brett’s new job our vacation time is going to be extremely limited, so I fear the infrequency that you mentioned. If you do ever get curious enough to try the cruise, start with a three day, that way you can follow it with four days in the parks.

Holly, I'm also enjoying your report of your cruise. We haven't booked one yet but thinking about it for sometime next year. I really appreciated the detailed boarding report. I'm wondering how it would've been if you hadn't received the "special" pass. Is it first come first serve with that? In other words, I'm wondering how to get to board the earliest. Because let me tell you....I'm LOVING your empty ship pics. That's SO something I would want to do!

One other question: since you've cruised a bunch on other ships (non-Disney), would you rank theme for me against Disney. I'm sure Disney is numero uno but I'm having a difficult time convincing some of my family to cruise Disney vs. the others b/c of the cost. They've found cheaper cruises and can't understand why we should sail Disney and pay more. Of course, I have no desire whatsoever to EVER cruise any other ship but Disney. No one in my family has ever cruised on any cruise line so we have no point of reference. I've already told them about the good points (the shows, the kid's only areas, the adults only areas, the aquaduck, the terrific restaurants, the virtual porthole, Castaway Cay) and they think they can be just as entertained on other ships. Any words of advice in comparing the ships? Thanks so much in advance!

The boarding process is in flux right now, if I understand correctly. They’ve been trying a couple of different approaches to keeping the terminal from being overcrowded. When we boarded it was first come/first served. Now, they’re having cruisers pick a “port arrival time” and reports seem to be mixed. I’ve heard that your port arrival time is tied to your boarding pass number so if you have a late port arrival time, showing up early won’t help you in getting on the ship any earlier. But then I’ve also heard that they aren’t enforcing this. So, who knows?!

I can completely understand why it’s difficult for your family to find the value in Disney when they aren’t Disney fans. You can usually take comparable cruises (in terms of length/itinerary) for a third the price of Disney. That’s no small thing. We’re crazy fans of Disney, but I’m sure we’ll continue to book on other lines, too.

Ranking the other cruise lines is pretty easy for me: Princess (by a landslide), Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian. But it’s not fair to rank them without a little description. The ships, length of cruise, and ports of call definitely factor into my opinions.

We took a 7 day eastern cruise on the Emerald Princess last May and I was completely blown away by the ship. Overall, Princess did everything right. I can’t remember the exact numbers now, but there were 4 or 5 decent sized pools on the ship and something like 6-7 hot tubs. It’s the only cruise I’ve been on where I was able to get even remotely close to the pools throughout the week. And the décor of the ship was understated in comparison to the over-the-top gaudiness of some of the other lines. In fact, I even commented in my cruise report that the attention to detail reminded me of Disney. :eek:

My experience with Carnival was on the Liberty, another decent sized ship, and another 7 day cruise, this time the western route. Of all the lines, I think Carnival had the best food and may have even had the best entertainment (still a far cry from Disney). Bear in mind, we don’t usually attend the shows on the ships. The ship décor was garish and hard on the eyes… but easy to overlook because it was incredibly well maintained and clean. Plus, the staff was amazing. And even though I don’t have kids, I hear really great things about their kids’ clubs.

RCI and NCL were at a disadvantage to begin with because these were shorter cruises (5 day and 3 day, respectively) and they were on some of the oldest ships in each of their fleets. Plus, in both cases it was just Bahamian ports. My opinion may or may not differ greatly if we’d cruised different ships/itineraries. One thing that I don’t think would change is the food quality. I wasn’t real impressed with the food on either of these lines. Although, NCL offers the “freestyle” dining which is pretty nice if you’re not as interested in getting dressed up and going to dinner.

I’d recommend Princess without hesitation and in fact, they’re easily at the top of our list. When we choose cruises in the future, if itineraries and price are similar among a couple of lines, there would be no question that we would go with Princess. It felt much classier than all the others. I’ve written reports for all of our cruises and they’re linked in the first post of this thread. If you check out the Princess one, I do some comparing/contrasting throughout the whole review. In fact, I did this in all of the reviews, and true to form there are a bazillion pictures to go along with the reporting. We always book inside staterooms and there are pictures of those in each of the reviews.

If you check it out, and have any specific questions about lines, please let me know.

So glad I didn't miss much since I've been on my HONEYMOON!!! How weird is that?! We were parked next to the Dream in Nassau, and I was contemplating ways to stow aboard. I love love love the horn! I got a pretty sweet panorama picture of it from my balcony too! Can't wait to hear about your ports of call!!

YAY! Megan, congratulations to you and your new hubby!!! I’m so excited for you. Which line did you cruise on? Last summer I was on a Norwegian cruise and did the same thing while in Nassau (I think it was the Magic). I kept drooling over it from afar.

Yay! I'm so glad the honeymoon report is starting!

First off I've got two words for you: POG juice!!! :slurp: I swear, if Brandon and I end up going this December (fingers crossed) I will meet you at the Poly and treat you to an Island Sunset. I miss POG juice so much...I haven't had it since I lived in Hawaii.

The Dream looks absolutely breathtaking! I can only imagine how excited you guys were heading onto the ship. Aww...And how awesome are Chip and Dale? Those chipmunks are just too cool. You and Brett definitely have the best character stories.

Can't wait to read more about the Best Cruise Ever.

I’m so afraid the POG juice is going to be overpowered by all the other ingredients in an Island Sunset. But I’ll gladly take you up on your offer and meet you at the Tambu Lounge in December!!! We’ll each buy a round. :D

More about the best cruise ever coming up shortly!!

maggiegrace1

Where’s your report, Dana? I’m off to find it! Who else have you cruised with? I really fell in love with Princess when we cruised on the Emerald last May. No, it’s not Disney, but then again neither is the price. :lol:

So they let you in the terminal early even though you had the 11:30 arrival time? That’s a great boarding group assignment!

!
It is basically a summary and a link to the pictures..:D..not as great as yours..;)

We did carnival.and it was GREAT..I loved it..but after being on Disney I think it will be hard to do any other..especially with a child..there is so much for Maggie to do without stepping foot in the kids area..and other cruises basically for kids they just have the kids clubs!

Yes, we got in line outside, entered through security, went upstairs, got the boarding group numbers and did all the paperwork and waited around..no one looked or said a word about our arrival time.:D

HollyBelle

Original Poster
After meeting Chip and Dale, we ate quickly, and then continued on with our tour of the ship. Looks like they were just turning on the water for the Aquaduck. The crowds would be sure to follow...

IMG_1681.jpg

Hey, look, it’s “For the Birds.”

IMG_1722.jpg

IMG_1724.jpg

IMG_1725-1.jpg

IMG_1726.jpg

IMG_1727.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
Nemo’s Reef looked like a lot of fun. Imagine, a place designed for kids to climb all over the Nemo characters. :lookaroun Never seen that before. :lol: :lol: I found it kinda weird how it’s situated near some of the dining tables. Sure, there’s a glass wall between them, but still it seemed odd.

IMG_1731.jpg

IMG_1732.jpg

IMG_1733.jpg

IMG_1734-1.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We wandered through Cabanas to get some pictures while the place was relatively empty. Cruisers were starting to filter in and fill their plates. The theming was, of course, really well done. And I loved the mosaic murals all along the walls.

IMG_1736-1.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1744.jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1748-1.jpg

IMG_1749.jpg

IMG_1750.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
The Arr-cade is just outside Cabanas, on I believe, the starboard side of the ship!

IMG_1751.jpg

Reason number 2,749 why you should book a Disney cruise... complimentary fountain drinks. Yep. If you haven’t cruised before (or you’ve only cruised Disney), you may not be aware of this, but you are charged for fountain drinks on pretty much every other major cruise line. On Disney, it’s included in the price. Behold, the big beautiful fountain drink station...

IMG_1752.jpg

IMG_1753.jpg

It was still only 12:30pm, but the smart folks who brought swimsuits along in their carry-ons were already migrating to the pool area:

IMG_1756-1.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We made our way back inside and headed for the lower decks. Loved the regal carpets throughout the hallways and stairwells:

IMG_1759.jpg

The atrium is absolutely gorgeous!

IMG_1761-1.jpg

IMG_1762.jpg

IMG_1763.jpg

IMG_2171.jpg

Around 12:45pm we headed into the D Lounge to see if we could change our dining. We were currently at an eight top, but what we really wanted was our own two top. And not just because it was our honeymoon. We would’ve tried to switch regardless of this. I know a lot of people really like the joint seating on cruise ships, but we’re not big fans. Luckily for us, it didn’t seem to be a problem at all, and the maitre ‘d happily switched us to our own table. :sohappy:

While we were there I got some shots of the D Lounge! If I’m not mistaken, they held a lot of family activities in here in the evenings. The décor actually reminded me a lot of other cruise lines. Bright pops of color with super heavy furniture that doesn’t move with the ship. Of course, it was much more tastefully done than some of the stuff we’ve seen on other lines. :lol: :lookaroun

IMG_1767.jpg

IMG_1766.jpg

HollyBelle

Original Poster
We stopped to rest for a bit. Seriously, we were carrying around a huge bag full of heavy lenses and other gear and it was starting to really weigh us down. I've seen the way porters throw all the luggage into huge massive bins before and we didn't want to take any chances with some of our electronics, so we were toting it around with us.

IMG_1769-1.jpg

The hallway leading to The District, the adult’s only night life area of the ship:

IMG_1772.jpg

Funky mirror shot!

IMG_1773.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

IMG_1776-1.jpg

Evolution. If I’m not mistaken this is where a lot of the adult’s only comedy acts and late night shows take place:

IMG_1779.jpg

Of course, leave it to Disney to make sure the elevator bank was themed to fit the District:

IMG_1782-1.jpg

I’ll probably post a lot of these as we go forward, but I really could not get enough of the art on the ship. Brett and I are huge fans of Disney art and I loved how it was displayed in all the stairwells. And it was obvious that which pieces were placed where was a conscious decision. No doubt about that.

IMG_1783-1.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom