On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

AEfx

In a perfect world, absolutely. But as the largest employer in the region and in the state, Disney holds most of the cards here. If people leave due to low wages, there's a dozen people with a Disney dream waiting to jump and take over their jobs.

Only to be disillusioned later.

It's a store I've seen repeated many times with the mouse.

Do you not think, though, that so much is changed and is changing in our economy, that those “Disney Dreamers” are going to be anywhere near as eager to move to Florida?

And those people, as much as they may be online, what percentage of actual workers do “Disney lifestyles” represent?

Things have started to change among even the kool aid/YouTube bunch. You have some of the major influencers walking around parks with masks on because everyone who is home is watching out of curiosity, yet are pretty much telling people “yeah, you don’t actually want to come here”. Others (the DVC Moms) are pretty much saying “yeah,we may use some points on a stay next year, but we aren’t planning on the parks again for a long time”.

Do you really think the “lifestylers” who are willing to go broke working at WDW are going to make up for all the young and old people who no longer are a viable part of the future WDW work force?

Miss Bella

Not always. You treat the negotiation on price and the financing as different transactions. Focus on the out the door price, have preapproved financing, and don't be afraid to get up and walk. The car salesman and sales manager aren't your friends - they're people who want your money.
I've learned the hard way. I'm probably one of the few people to ever get out of a car contract. I got home realized I'd been screwed over went back to the dealer made a big scene and got the contract torn up and renegotiated. It was the third car we've bought from this dealer. I'm glad we won't need another car for a few years.

Someone backed into my car last week in the employee lot. No note of course. I'm out a thousand bucks getting it fixed. 2020 has not been a good year.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Do you not think, though, that so much is changed and is changing in our economy, that those “Disney Dreamers” are going to be anywhere near as eager to move to Florida?

Only the salt of the earth midwestern types who would rather go broke working in warm weather than deal with another winter.

And those people, as much as they may be online, what percentage of actual workers do “Disney lifestyles” represent?

A reasonable amount, but even most of the ones who started like that are burned out and over Disney within a year.

Do you really think the “lifestylers” who are willing to go broke working at WDW are going to make up for all the young and old people who no longer are a viable part of the future WDW work force?

Nope. Disney's turnover is going to spike.

brianstl

Only the salt of the earth midwestern types who would rather go broke working in warm weather than deal with another winter.

A reasonable amount, but even most of the ones who started like that are burned out and over Disney within a year.

Nope. Disney's turnover is going to spike.
Disney doesn’t need more employees now and won’t for a long time. They can afford to burn off 20% of their current parks employees and be fine. Have you seen the crowds in the parks?

Then if they need to add employees in 8
-12 months they won’t have an issue hiring employees. The unemployment rate in Orlando is above 17%.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Have an examples to your theory? Because I've never seen any separation agreements that try to manage anything like this.

And in the scenario we are talking about... we were talking about linkedin... which is a CV/job search platform - not just 'social platform'.

Your theory doesn't hold up.

Yes - and their focus is on your terms - not trying to put gag orders on how you address your work history.
Well, admittedly, the gag orders NDAs I've seen were pre-social media days, but they included both secrecy of terms AND non-disparagement clauses.

But face it -- IF an employer offers a huge incentive to keep the news of a mass layoff out of social media, and IF they put that in the NDA, and IF people sign it to take the severance, they'd be as bound to adhere to it as any other provision.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I was attacked by an ******* guest, guest denied and claimed self defense, Disney proceeded to not investigate and instead terminated my employment based off of a false accusation.

I finished my bachelors in hospitality, left the country, went back to school, did a bachelors in graphic design, started my career, did a masters in advertising, returned to the states, and am a passholder and shareholder now.
Wow, that sure is a Goofy story... ;)

AEfx

Too many people won't have the luxury of taking the normal path. Historically, these types of imbalances end very poorly. Especially, when one side effectively just told the other side, "we don't care if you get sick and die, shut up, go to work so I can have things."

That’s exactly the thing I think so many haven’t realized yet.

You put it nearly perfectly, but I would change just one thing (if I may take the liberty, LOL) - “we don’t care if you get sick and die, shut up, got to work, so you can SERVE me things”.

Because that’s precisely what we told people. While a large swath of society was able to stay home, and kvetched on social media about “omg my family is driving me crazy! This is so hard!”, fast food, gas station, drugstore clerks, baggers and cashiers at grocery stores, so on...had to continue working their minimum wage jobs, risking their lives and watching the news every night about how “everyone smart and responsible is self quarantining”.

gwhb75

They have to adhere to GAAP.
Theoretically correct, but materiality factors in as well. While the correct accounting procedure is as you described (defer revenue and recognize over the term of the pass), if the total of all passes is relatively low, they could just take it all to income at some other time (e.g. first use of the pass) rather than the defer and recognize method....but that's enough boring technical accounting for this forum.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Hiring now is freaking miserable... horrible work ethics, irrational expectations, people think they can show up when they want, and then whine a company sucks when they get fired for not doing basic things like SHOWING UP ON TIME.
Dang -- looks like I retired 4 years too early...

DVCakaCarlF

Theoretically correct, but materiality factors in as well. While the correct accounting procedure is as you described (defer revenue and recognize over the term of the pass), if the total of all passes is relatively low, they could just take it all to income at some other time (e.g. first use of the pass) rather than the defer and recognize method....but that's enough boring technical accounting for this forum.
It’s safe to assume the revenue from AP sakes is material.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Happiness at the DMV is getting out in under two hours and for less than $100.

My last visit was $85 and I was in and out in 20 minutes.

The secret is get an appointment and show up with more paperwork than you think is necessary.

gwhb75

It’s safe to assume the revenue from AP sakes is material.
Maybe, but you've got to consider the size of Disney as a whole. Material to Parks and Resorts? Possible but doubtful ($1,200 for an annual pass, equates to a 2-3 night stay at a delux resort) . Material to the consolidated WDC? doubtful.

brianstl

You can try to make it into an emotional play... but you're just deflecting.

I do think Disney should pay it's employees way more - especially given the standards they expect of them. But I disagree with much of Disney's management style and their approach towards employees.

None of that changes the basic premise of self-responsibility. If you don't like your situation, it's on YOU to change it. Not pout and cry my boss isn't doing it for me.
Everyone who works at the parks agreed to work at the wages they make and has decided to stay their at the wage they make. Should they make more? Sure, but it is still their decision to work there.

If enough people would turn down the job or quit, Disney would be forced to increase compensation, but too many people want to work for Disney at low wages.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom