On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

asianway

He was full time DCE in a good height range and traveled a lot for the company. I only ever saw him doing things in the parks once or twice, plus one year he got cast in the Christmas parade.
So....he would get paid 8 hours on the road, get lodging covered, and work maybe 2 hours?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
So....he would get paid 8 hours on the road, get lodging covered, and work maybe 2 hours?

I think travel time + actual work (with the 4 hour minimum call time), with per diem, and Disney provided lodging. I did a few OT van driver shifts to pick them up at MCO, and they were usually pretty chill.

disneyflush

A lot has happened in the last few weeks..what’s your thoughts on this now?
(Seriously)

Can I chime in? Not old guard but been here for a few years. Feel like its becoming apparent that we'll never get 100% rid of this Covid19 or the mutations from it because its (a) so contagious and (b) its too early to tell if you can build immunity/get it more than once. I think we can probably make the assumption that a therapeutic will be developed at some point in next 12-18 months, hopefully, and some of the fear will scale back around it. The long-term effects of having it and recovering are still super murky. The therapeutic will ease the liability concerns from the park standpoint and the mask requirement will be lifted. Things like temp checks will likely stick around for 2-3 years for the security optics (much like current bag check stations) at the gate. My concern is more the economic dominoes that will continue to fall at a more exaggerated pace as this continues. Using the Fed as a piggy bank doesn't work forever. 43% of households missed their home payment last month. How much disposable income will be left to head down to the mouse next year with, likely, increasing prices to try and make up for the missed revenue now. Business/convention travel has been forced into an absolute reckoning and I think we've found a lot of value/cost savings in Zoom meetings and calls that continue indefinitely. Old business methods that support behemoths like Coronado Springs will never go back to what they were. A lot of jobs that were lost will not come back. I think some of the gluttony has been trimmed from the American mindset (not all of it or even a significant portion of it but enough to make an impact) and the price gouging displayed the last decade is going to undergo a sanity check for quite a few families. The America in 6 months is going to be substantially bleaker than the one now being propped up by stimulus checks and packages.

TrainsOfDisney

My parents always told me you don't need to like your job, but you need to make enough money to do the things you like. I envy people that can do their dream job and make good money at it. Most of us work to live not live to work. That being said I do get a lot of satisfaction from being able to pay my bills, save money, and take vacations.

I’ve never worked to work a day in my life. I’m not sure what that feels like but I imagine it’s miserable.

I suppose I’m lucky but it’s been incredibly easy for me to get jobs in the fields that I’m passionate about and enjoy.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And there it is people, another person who doesn't care and thinks he's brilliant for not doing so.

"there's no work here" -- Move
"I don't like my boss.." -- Look for another job
"I've been making the same money for 5 years" -- What have you done to increase your value? Are you doing the same exact job? Have you pursued advancement? If not, and think you're being denied, have you started to look elsewhere?

OR take the position of "my boss owes me more" (while they do the same exact job).

Sorry, Truth bus just pulled up.. If your job can be replaced by someone else doing the same output in less than 2 weeks - do not expect your income to grow simply because you are good at treading water.

Miss Bella

"there's no work here" -- Move
"I don't like my boss.." -- Look for another job
"I've been making the same money for 5 years" -- What have you done to increase your value? Are you doing the same exact job? Have you pursued advancement? If not, and think you're being denied, have you started to look elsewhere?

OR take the position of "my boss owes me more" (while they do the same exact job).

Sorry, Truth bus just pulled up.. If your job can be replaced by someone else doing the same output in less than 2 weeks - do not expect your income to grow simply because you are good at treading water.
You make a lot of good points.

Lilofan

I’ve never worked to work a day in my life. I’m not sure what that feels like but I imagine it’s miserable.

I suppose I’m lucky but it’s been incredibly easy for me to get jobs in the fields that I’m passionate about and enjoy.
A successful manager knows how to delegate to get the work done through his team. Just don't forget to recognize them!

Miss Bella

I wouldn't say working is miserable. Productivity brings happiness and satisfaction. They're all different ways to look at it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Nope, just a minimum wage that allows for a minimal standard of living without requiring unnecessary sacrifices, such as having to choose shelter OR food. A living wage.

It's not enough for people. They want to be the Greeter that requires no real prior training, can be done by anyone with basic training, and want to live where they want, and support their families.

So should the 20yr kid living with 4 other people make x, while 35yr living in a house with 2 kids, doing the same exact job make 4x more because he has greater expenses? If not, the second guy cries "I'm starving..." while the 20yr old says "I'm saving for an xbox...".

This is why the premise of a 'living wage for all' doesn't fit. Everyone doesn't live the same life. And then you get into deciding what kind of life should they be able to afford? Does that mean I can expect them to take lynx buses, or should they be able to afford a car? What is the acceptable commute time? etc etc etc.

The labor market is self-correcting when we ensure people are mobile and empowered. The employers get to squeeze labor when labor is desperate and locked in.

Disney pays like crap - and know what that means? I'd never recommend anyone work there.

If the major employers that set the tone for wages weren't constantly leading a race to the bottom in low wages, that would work well.

If employees weren't desperate and actually gave themselves job skills they wouldn't be trapping fighting over scraps.

There are plenty of jobs in my area that pay minimum wage.. know what.. no one in my family works at those places. Instead they do what it takes to work at places that pay more money.

You call it demanding, I call it negotiating. I've negotiated my salary for the past three jobs as part of the hiring process.

No, literally most people act like the company is obligated to give them this... vs as you say, negotiating if they want you, they need to do X.

Hiring now is freaking miserable... horrible work ethics, irrational expectations, people think they can show up when they want, and then whine a company sucks when they get fired for not doing basic things like SHOWING UP ON TIME.

MickeyLuv'r

Oh good god...

You aren’t seriously this bored, are you Mayor Dyer?!?

This has been battled for decades...since roughly 1964...the modern Orlando was built by travel and is tied to it. It’s the “trunk” of the tree. Because it “branched” out...doesn’t mean it doesn’t depend on it.

This is the same argument made by ever sleepy town that is home to a gigantic university.

The city council pushes ordinances to make money off the kids and then when pushed that they need them say “this town would exist without _____ University”

Yeah...it would be lucky to have an Arby’s.

This is nonsense. Orlando is crushed in recessions because travel is cut immediately and heavily. And here it comes.

Not the end of the world...but don’t lie to yourself.

Oh...and they’re medical companies? In Florida?
Really an “upset” to get those in town, huh?

...I need a drink. You need a couple.

I think you have me confused with someone else?

I'm not sure why you reacted so angrily to a posting of some dry facts and statistics, because, that's all I posted. It was mostly just a list of companies located in the Orlando area.

DVCakaCarlF

Average for 40 hours.

This man was working 60 hours/week and included per diem. Not worth it.
No, but he doesn’t have to work there...maybe he should only have worked 40 hours, declined the overtime, if any, and worked a mother job.

I grew, owned, and operated a business from scratch...I worked a lot the first four or five years for little or no money to get it going, but no one told me I had to do it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Imagine being a Disney fan who thinks so little of the employees who making going to Disney possible.

You can try to make it into an emotional play... but you're just deflecting.

I do think Disney should pay it's employees way more - especially given the standards they expect of them. But I disagree with much of Disney's management style and their approach towards employees.

None of that changes the basic premise of self-responsibility. If you don't like your situation, it's on YOU to change it. Not pout and cry my boss isn't doing it for me.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Question: Do you believe in a universal pay scale? Also, what was his stress level at that position?

I don't, but I do believe in a living wage after working 40 hours. However, Disney is very much a proponent of a universal pay scale.

His stress level.... at the time (17 years ago) I would have said low. But not having worked in a position that required long hours, high visibility, and travel, I'd say reasonably high.

Animaniac93-98

You can try to make it into an emotional play... but you're just deflecting.

I do think Disney should pay it's employees way more - especially given the standards they expect of them. But I disagree with much of Disney's management style and their approach towards employees.

None of that changes the basic premise of self-responsibility. If you don't like your situation, it's on YOU to change it. Not pout and cry my boss isn't doing it for me.

Imagine STILL having this attitude, during the worst global recession in a century.

Again, as an alleged "fan".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom