On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

DVCakaCarlF

2nd degree burns can be highly entertaining! ;)
I was visiting my wife’s family once for a funeral, and one of the relatives, and their souse, decided they we’re going to cook dinner for everyone.

Well, when we got there, they hadn’t figured out the pressure cooker yet, and it was going to be another 45 plus minutes. Of course, the “chef” was the “engineering type,” and he couldn’t get around some technical issue on the cooker...whatever...so we ended up eating white slices of bread, my favorite, until someone else brought pizza.

He was too “upset” that we didn’t wait any longer, and left.

Of course, he didn’t tell anyone.

He’s probably related to your SIL @ImperfectPixie

DVCakaCarlF

Oh yes.

For its first few years, this “News and Rumors” forum was essentially an online club for many insiders to trade gossip. Think of a local bar after work. Pheinex was one of those original members. Lee and Marni were others. Their track records were impeccable.

Iger had just become CEO and his original policy for WDW was “maintain, don’t build.” Disney refurbed Main Street USA and the HM but ignored almost everything else. You can imagine how negative the insider opinions were.

As the site became more popular and the forums gained more Pixie Dusters, the new members couldn’t handle the realistic conversations and labeled the insiders “Doom-and-Gloomers,” an issue that did exist on many Disney fan sites but was rarely a problem here. But it became tiresome to constantly battle, and many of the new members set themselves up as self-styled experts even though they were not insiders at all—just curiously defensive fans. Original insiders began to fade away.

We also had a few good years with a certain Spirit who left MiceChat and headed here; and even though his attitude was gruff, his Disney business knowledge was dead-on. But he frequently mixed political and personal opinions into his posts, and people joined the boards to tail him and constantly argue even when his Disney news was right.

Steve (Mr. WDWMagic himself) still knows what’s going on, but there are fewer insiders constantly posting. For one thing, many left the company. Others were afraid of revealing their sources when Lasseter cracked down on leaks during his brief stint at WDI. The Spirited discussions on here also attracted Disney Social Media employees who set up accounts specifically to argue and defend. And Lee, Pheinex, and others drifted off.

These are still the best WDW fan forums; and tbh, once a site grows like this, it can’t be the office water cooler for gossip. There are just too many people. Most of the modern news isn’t interesting anyway.

It’s good to see Pheinex again.
But getting political is my favorite...don’t tell @The Mom

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Others were afraid of revealing their sources when Lasseter cracked down on leaks during his brief stint at WDI.

Crackdown started before Lasseter, but it definitely became larger in scope during his time at WDI.

As I posted in another thread, I was contacted by Disney at my private email address that they shouldn't have had, telling me to stop posting; and on two occasions, security followed me around the park while I was taking pictures, and proceeded to say my name.

tirian

Crackdown started before Lasseter, but it definitely became larger in scope during his time at WDI.

As I posted in another thread, I was contacted by Disney at my private email address that they shouldn't have had, telling me to stop posting; and on two occasions, security followed me around the park while I was taking pictures, and proceeded to say my name.
That’s scary.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
That’s scary.

A third time, I was taking pictures of the BatB theatre in Studios. It was wide open, but empty, so I sat down to take pics. A CM saw me, asked what I was doing, and proceeded to try and call security. I got up, walked to the gate, left the park, and went to another park. That was the final incident, since it was also close in time to when I left the country.

Getachew

Everyone who works at the parks agreed to work at the wages they make and has decided to stay their at the wage they make. Should they make more? Sure, but it is still their decision to work there.

If enough people would turn down the job or quit, Disney would be forced to increase compensation, but too many people want to work for Disney at low wages.

Disney did in fact agree to increase wages in 2018, to $15 an hour minimum by 2021.

WDW862

Everyone who works at the parks agreed to work at the wages they make and has decided to stay their at the wage they make. Should they make more? Sure, but it is still their decision to work there.

If enough people would turn down the job or quit, Disney would be forced to increase compensation, but too many people want to work for Disney at low wages.
This is why we're unionized.

brianstl

This is why we're unionized.
I am well aware that is why they are unionized. I support their union. Posters earlier where acting like some big sea change was coming where Disney wouldn’t be able to get enough workers and have to change their pay structure because of that.

That isn’t happening. To continue to make increases in salary the workers need to stay organized and strong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom