The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

I always find it difficult to know what to share. I don't want to sound like I am bragging or showing off as I know there are plenty of people who are less fortune as I am but it is fun to discuss things and share my excitement as I love to travel.
I wouldn't worry about sharing in this thread. Besides we can tell you are humble. I know I am not the only one that loves to see pictures from other places on this thread, especially the food ones. :):)

12in12

If you have the time land in NY and see the city, drive south on 95 to Philly and explore, drive west on 30 through Amish country and Hershey area, drive south on 81 into MD then se( a bunch of twists and turns) into Baltimore then back on 95 into DC then stay on 95 until I-4 into Orlando:joyfull: a word of warning there's nowhere to get off and get decent coffee between the middle of NC and the GA state line, bring a thermos and fill up in NC
Thank you for the advice especially about the coffee!
Unfortunately it will be at least 2021 before I can seriously start planning thanks to my stupid mortgage. :(

MySmallWorldof4

I agree that you can't expect kids to always make good choices but adults in a theme parks in the middle of the day surrounded by families?:bored:
If one of those idiots had fallen they could have traumatized the people watching them.:mad:
Not only that, they probably would have found a way to sue. :rolleyes: A lawyer would have found a way to blame Disney for it.

12in12

I wouldn't worry about sharing in this thread. Besides we can tell you are humble. I know I am not the only one that loves to see pictures from other places on this thread, especially the food ones. :):)
Thank you for saying that. I grew up quite poor so the last thing I want to do I make people feel bad because they are less fortunate than I am now.
And I will happily share any food and travel but most days my life is very tedious.
Go to work, come home, spent some time on my tablet, go to sleep and repeat.;)

MySmallWorldof4

If handcuffs were involved it isn't because they were climbing the tree of life, it would probably be because they refused to stop and/or told a security person where to strategically place a limb.

However, in a more serious vane... Why does Climb and Limb have a "B" at the end? We don't say clim-ba or lim-ba. Sometimes the English language don't make no good sense no how.
My guess is that the b's used to be pronounced, and we just got lazy saying them. Maybe in the UK they still pronounce them? What of it @Mr Ferret 88 ?

MySmallWorldof4

Speaking of UPS, I just had the VA send me some pain medicine for my current round with Sciatica. It was picked up by them on the 29th of Nov. The VA is in Durham and I live in Cary, NC... a distance of 24 miles. As of this moment it has not been delivered. I was told that is was going to be an overnight delivery due to the fact that a lot of pain was involved. So I stayed home, inside all day Thursday (no show). Thinking that maybe I misunderstood I repeated my confinement on Friday (nope). Stayed in on Saturday and Sunday as well, still nothing. Along comes Monday and I am in drastic need of some basics at the grocery store (including Advil), so I went out to the store. I was gone about 30 minutes and when I came back there was a UPS slip on my door saying how sorry they were that they missed me. OK, no harm, no foul... it was my fault and the note said they would deliver it the next day. I haven't mentioned yet that the particular meds. they were sending me were controlled medications, so I have to be here to sign for it. Anyway, I then was able to sign on to their Website for tracking. It showed that I wasn't there at the time and deliver was slated for the next day. Tuesday I stayed home all day, no delivery happened. Later I checked the site again and it stated that the deliver date was rescheduled for the next day. Once again I stayed home all day. Wanna guess what happened? Right, no delivery but this time I had to watch as a UPS truck passed right by my apartment.

It is rescheduled for today and in about an hour I have to make my way to Durham for a PT appointment. Anyone want to place a bet on when they are going to show up? Now at least I know what UPS stands for Unbelievably Poor Service! Sure glad I didn't need this medicine to keep my heart beating. Pain apparently isn't important to UPS.
I am so sorry to hear this. That is just awful. There are some yoga exercises to help with sciatica. On another note, Cary is a beautiful area. We had considered moving there about 10 years ago. The Raleigh area has just grown so rapidly.

MySmallWorldof4

I'll try to remember you saying this when we get there!! I'd love to see the look on my daughter's face when she first sees Cindergrellas castle!

I saw this thing on Facebook (which has to be true, right, because it's on the internet) that said that American English actually resembles the most ancient form of English and that European English has evolved far more away from the way it was written and spoken before the times of Shakespeare.
If ancient form of English is slang, I can believe it. ;) Personally I don't think so.

12in12

I'm right there with you. We most likely won't be going much of anywhere for the next 4 years.:(
I am sorry, I really shouldn't complain as I have a trip to Disney scheduled in 43 days.:oops:
I am just super spoiled because before I had my mortgage I would take off for a couple of months to travel on a regular basis but I can't do that anymore. I suffer from Peter Pan syndrome and hate the responsibility of a mortgage. I don't even like owning the apartment anymore.:(

I'd ask @RedNoseMickey or even @Songbird76 about the proper use of the English language on that side of the pond. @Mr Ferret 88 only speaks Goinsey and redneck:hilarious:
This really made me laugh! English is not my first language, being in Switzerland at the moment it is more like my third language.
But I can tell you that the B's are silent in the Queens English as well.:)

MySmallWorldof4

@Goofyernmost , @RedNoseMickey , @CherylM , @DisneyBound2017 and everyone else. All about the silent B.
What is the origin of the silent 'b' at the end of English words such as lamb, comb, crumb and bomb?
  • WE OWE the silent 'b' to the fact that centuries ago our ancestors pronounced a b-sound: climb was Old English climban, and bomb comes from Italian bomba. The b-sound was lost by about 1300. It leaves traces to the present day, however, in pairs such as climb-clamber, crumb-crumble. Thumb appears to be a rogue case, because here the 'b' is not etymological; there may have been influence from thimble. There are about 20 words in ending in 'mb'. In some of the rarer ones, such as lamb or coulomb, people sometimes pronounce a b-sound. Phonetically, 'b' is classified as a voiced plosive, as are 'd' and 'g'. Sound changes applying to one tend to apply to the other two as well. This is so with 'g' for those among us who pronounce no g-sound after the nasal at the end of sing and hang, but not for those midlanders and northerners who make singer rhyme with finger. But 'd' remains in the standard pronunciation of mind, stand, round (perhaps because we need the 'nd' sequence of sounds to keep the past tense distinct from the present in fined, tanned, crowned). Even so, we readily omit the 'd' in speech in phrases like mind the doors, stand back, round the corner.
    J C Wells, Professor of Phonetics, University of London.

12in12

@Goofyernmost , @RedNoseMickey , @CherylM , @DisneyBound2017 and everyone else. All about the silent B.
What is the origin of the silent 'b' at the end of English words such as lamb, comb, crumb and bomb?
  • WE OWE the silent 'b' to the fact that centuries ago our ancestors pronounced a b-sound: climb was Old English climban, and bomb comes from Italian bomba. The b-sound was lost by about 1300. It leaves traces to the present day, however, in pairs such as climb-clamber, crumb-crumble. Thumb appears to be a rogue case, because here the 'b' is not etymological; there may have been influence from thimble. There are about 20 words in ending in 'mb'. In some of the rarer ones, such as lamb or coulomb, people sometimes pronounce a b-sound. Phonetically, 'b' is classified as a voiced plosive, as are 'd' and 'g'. Sound changes applying to one tend to apply to the other two as well. This is so with 'g' for those among us who pronounce no g-sound after the nasal at the end of sing and hang, but not for those midlanders and northerners who make singer rhyme with finger. But 'd' remains in the standard pronunciation of mind, stand, round (perhaps because we need the 'nd' sequence of sounds to keep the past tense distinct from the present in fined, tanned, crowned). Even so, we readily omit the 'd' in speech in phrases like mind the doors, stand back, round the corner.
I learnt something new today.:)

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

My husband makes fun of me because I pronounce the g at the end of words. Like going doesn't sound like goin' from me,... its more like goin-ga

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom