News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Daveeeeed

I love the Great Movie Ride's scale, its music, its pacing, The gangster scene, and especially the overall into the movies theme. I love Hollywood. Mickey is a great idea for a new ride, but pretty much like everyone has mentioned, the main issue is capacity. I meant at least Epcot can handle not having so many people eaters, Hollywood Studios is going to be a madhouse come 2019. I still am sad to see the GMR go, but again it isn't even going to be enjoyable with the crowds. I can't wait for Pandora, not so much HWS finished

MerlinTheGoat

I think there are ways to make them work, but I think your opinion is well-taken.
I did read all of your post. I agree with pretty much your entire message. Trust me, i've seen screens done "well" and have found myself enjoying rides that do have a lot of them. They can certainly have a place in some situations. But yeah, I can't pretend that i'm not becoming somewhat perturbed at even the properly done variety (let along the poorly executed ones everywhere). It's hard for me not to be reminded by how many video screens i'm already constantly inundated with on a day-to-day basis and it begins to really take me out of the experience. I want something different and more unique/special out of a Disney experience. As a result, i'd argue even extremely old and arguably "outdated" AA's can be very charming and enjoyable for me.

My love for Disney rides is definitely heavily influenced by their impressive sets and unique and fluid animatronic figures. I'm sad that these elements are beginning to disappear (or at least heavily reduced) in many new rides. Even the reports of the Star Wars and Avatar projects being screen-centric has caused me to hold back on my anticipation for them...

Last edited:

Mike S

I did read you entire post, just quoting a small bit. I agree with pretty much your entire post. Trust me, i've seen screens done "well" and have found myself enjoying rides that do have a lot of them. But yeah, I can't pretend that i'm not becoming somewhat perturbed at even the properly done variety (let along the poorly executed ones everywhere). It's hard for me not to think of how many video screens i'm constantly inundated with on a day-to-day basis and it begins to really take me out of the experience.

Disney made me love them because of their rides' impressive sets and unique and fluid animatronic figures. I miss this in new rides.
I was very impressed with the new AAs I've seen this summer in Orlando. Not quite dead yet :)

NearTheEars

I agree. In this case however DHS needs a big icon. In all of the other WDW parks there are major icons that not only serve as symbols of the park but they're also designed for easy navigation for guests. In EPCOT for example, Spaceship Earth can be seen from most locations in the park and it's easy for guests to gauge their location in the park based upon that landmark and it makes navigation through the park easier. Same thing is true for the castle in MK and the tree in AK. At 135 acres DHS is bigger than the MK.

With tiny parks such as Disneyland or DCA, large landmarks are not really needed since it's hard to get lost in such cramped spaces. But the bigger parks in WDW really benefit from large landmarks such as the BAH they used to have in DHS. Knott's Berry Farm has a huge tower as another example.

The Chinese Theater at DHS is only a front facade and it's insignificant. How about a huge tub of buttered popcorn for an icon?

movie-theater-popcorn.jpg

Seeing a giant park icon from outside RNRC isn't going to help you too much with navigation.

Suspirian

I'll bet Mickey LPS goes in DCA at Paradise Pier. Under the Mickey head or close.

BTW- I'd just love a trackless Haunted Mansion one day. Maybe in the next Magic Kingdom...

If part of Hollywoodland (sans Marvel) is staying it could fit there as well.

P.S can someone let me know what "the site that hsall not be named" is please? Maybe through message im completely lost.

Phil12

Seeing a giant park icon from outside RNRC isn't going to help you too much with navigation.
That's true in the current configuration of DHS. With the advent of the new SW land and other expansions RNRC will most likely no longer be a dead end. Also the park will probably adopt a circular pattern in concert with the other WDW parks.

brb1006

While a better choice by far than GOTG or most other IP's, this still evicts a classic ride (of the sort you don't see built anymore and probably never will again) and offers no gain of additional rides. And as Martin hinted, it's unlikely to be even half as long as GMR (we'll be lucky if it's a third).

I'll somewhat hold my judgement until we see the final product, but i've other concerns as well. In the proper hands, with the proper budget and with the right execution, this obviously has the potential to be an awesome ride. But I have serious concerns about budget and execution. Budget was already mentioned to have been somewhat reduced in an earlier post, so that's off to an unpleasant start already.

I also feel somewhat troubled by @marni1971 hinting at a heavy presence of video screens. While a great ride, Mystic Manor IMO is already a bit too screen-centric for my tastes. And while I may be attacked for saying this, even the POTC at Shanghai (in spite of being a good ride with well implemented screens) went overboard on screens with too few animatronics for my tastes. Ratatouille looks like it completely crossed my threshold of tolerance, wouldn't like something like that at all.

I miss the detailed setpieces and huge AA population from rides like Splash Mountain, following that ride's type of showscenes are what I would have wanted out of a Mickey Mouse ride. I'm even more concerned that they'll use CGI instead of traditional animation for the video (something they tried to do with Little Mermaid initially, and even recently for a Snow White's scene at Shanghai), which would be extremely inappropriate for classics.
I really love Pooh's Hunny Hunt at Tokyo Disneyland since it's mostly AA and the ride design and atmosphere is so beautiful. The only time we see a screen used is during the Tigger scene but it's not that long and I actually like the use for it.

MerlinTheGoat

That's interesting, I always thought the building for GMO was small.
Always seemed huge to me. I don't know the exact square footage or comparisons to other WDW ride buildings (square footage might not be easy to compare because GMR also seems to have taller ceilings than many other rides). The vehicles and its path are very wide as well, and the scale of the sets are rather big with lots of vertical space as well (which I hope they take advantage of in the new ride).

One would think they could make at least a moderately longer ride than Hunny Hunt...

DC0703

Wow, I'm very conflicted on this one.

On one hand, if this is indeed a trackless dark ride using cool new AAs and Mystic Manor style effects with a Mickey movie theme (I've skimmed the thread, so I may off on the details of the rumor here), that does sound exciting. In fact, it's almost kind of surprising that Disney's main mascot hasn't really been the focus of a major dark ride in WDW before. And to that end, putting it in an iconic location like the Chinese Theater and making it a centerpiece of the park seems more fitting than putting it in a corner some where.

That said, GMR is the one ride I was hoping Disney wouldn't touch with this remaking of the park. It's one of the few remaining dark rides that was made in the '80s dark ride mold of Horizons, SE, etc. It's a fun, long and rather diverse ride with a lot of cool scenes. It breaks my heart a little to think of it going away, even the replacement is a neat ride.

Man, I thought having the sponsorship might save it from being gutted anytime soon. I guess I was wrong.

Captain Neo

Don't worry guys it will be replaced with an interactive video screen based ride that is half the length and tied to a hot IP!!

DznyRktekt

Why not keep the GMR and replace Fantasmic with the new E ticket, an extension of Sunset Blvd? Think of the cost savings if they scrapped Fantasmic.

brb1006

By the way, I don't know if this has been mentioned or not, but this idea is quite similar to the 90's videogame Mickey Mania. Each level takes place in a Mickey cartoon, starting with the oldest and reaching up through the newer ones from the 90's. Steamboat Willie, The Mad Doctor, Moose Hunters, The Lonesome Ghost, Mickey and the Beanstalk and The Prince and the Pauper.

I'd be extremely shocked if we don't see Steamboat Willie in the ride. The game's level even used a neat effect in the second level to "magically" transition the graphics from black and white into color, which would be very cool to see done in a ride (probably could be with some sort of digital mapping effect. Would love to see Lonesome Ghost and Mickey and the Beanstalk adapted into the ride as well. Would also be quite surprised if Sorcerer's Apprentice isn't included (and it should be, i'm dying to see a proper physical showscene of Mickey on the cliff calling forth the seas and heavens). There's almost limitless potential here with the vast library of classic Mickey cartoons.

And yes, that is me sounding slightly excited for a change, wanting desperately to be optimistic. In spite of everything that is already questionable about this project, and all that could end up going wrong in the end... Can't I be hopeful for once without being sorely disappointed by the end product?

I do love how the Sorcerer's Apprentice section is dark and you see stars passing you but seeing Sorcerer Mickey doing the same water moves (endless looping) felt disappointing. I would picture the LPS version of that film to have you pass by an AA Mickey controlling the stars and water. The water might spray the guests depending on where they are located at and the vehicle is turning around the rock a few times while you feel wind blowing and feel the impact of thunder and lighting by the noise. But that might sound to expensive for Disney and I thought this idea up after seeing the final section to Mystic Manor where guests are spinning around a Monkey statue while chaos ensues.

Sadly that idea might sound to expensive for WDW and that would sound like something Tokyo and Hong Kong would pull off at there parks.

brb1006

Always seemed huge to me. I don't know the exact square footage or comparisons to other WDW ride buildings (square footage might not be easy to compare because GMR also seems to have taller ceilings than many other rides). The vehicles and its path are very wide as well, and the scale of the sets are rather big with lots of vertical space as well (which I hope they take advantage of in the new ride).

One would think they could make at least a moderately longer ride than Hunny Hunt...
Does this mean that once GMR finally closes. Hunny Hunt might end up as the last Disney ride that is longer than a typical Disney attraction across the world besides Splash Mountain and Haunted Mansion?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom