Y'all should ...

John

Carsland is a big hit, and I think it will stay that way. Not sure how the bean counters are looking at all of this, to "make it official", they might want to wait a year to see how Carsland holds up. Probably splitting hairs when trying to differentiate between a great success, and unexpected & completely amazing runaway hit. Just conjecture, but of course folks are looking closely at Carsland.

What about FLE? Its story has yet to be written, in terms of success, and though it is thematically unrelated to Carsland, if FLE bombs, or does unexpectedly well, they'll want to study and learn from whatever lessons can be derived from this experience. Also, there might be park cannibalization when FLE opens, and which park will get hit the most? Will the resort gain guests as a whole? Nobody knows, but what happens might change timetables for different parks, and push various projects to the front burner.

And don't forget that Carsland, despite the success, was very expensive to build. DLR has about 1.7 parks (DCA is pretty small), while WDW has technically 4 gates with aging attractions. Meaning that the smarter buck might be to radically revamp several E-Tickets, and plop down some new rides, rather than to be burdened with the costs of building something new like Carsland if they've got Avatarland already on the burner.

Are you sure your not jt's evil twin?

John

I always feel like I am the local pessinist, I am sorry but I cant buy any of this. Why? Let me get this straight....Disney invest a billion to nex-gen and wants to invest another billion on exspansion....No matter how you slice and dice it, with any of the aforementioned additions if they were to do any two it would cost upwards of a billion when you figure in all the cost. This is the same TDO that cut FLE....the same TDO that is balking at Cameron. The same TDO that REFUSES to fix other attractions on the premise ....its just not fiscally prudent to do it now.

I am like the rest of you here. I am all for it. But just dont see it. All this plus a DTD reimagination?....huh?
Call it pessimistic but I am just going what has been a historically tight TDO. All of the sudden they are going to throw caution to the wind and just run up the credit card ?

I believe that the esteemed "insiders" we have has heard these tid bits....but are they simply on a wish list or actually starting construction.....Avatar is moving at a snails pace or at a complete halt...is what we are hearing. Carsland sounds possible....but will it too be cut? I agree with others who say.....Disney if you put CL in WDW you better do it right! You know what that means.....$$$$$$$$$$$ once again does this sound like the TDO we all know and love?

ctxak98

Can someone help me I am having a blank. I have been around for a while but what does TDO stand for? haha probably a dumb question but I always just overlooked it

Skyway

I'm so confused.

The Avatar announcement was met with a collective yawn.

Now there's talk that Disney wants to cut the budget. Specifically, it sounds like they want to cut one of two E-tickets (rather than what we typically think of budget-cutting that results in cut corners on a single attraction)

So all you that were opposed to Avatar in the first place as a non-viable franchise now want Disney to double-down on a bad bet? Add 2 big Avatar attractions, which surely means depriving another land or park of a different attraction?

I don't doubt that whatever they do will be incredible. But that doesn't change the fact it's based on Avatar. And that's not just my opinion of the franchise. Go back and look at the reaction when it was first announced. Many have been hoping for the project to die ever since. But now people are upset it will only be one questionable attraction instead of two?

Clever Name

I always feel like I am the local pessinist, I am sorry but I cant buy any of this. Why? Let me get this straight....Disney invest a billion to nex-gen and wants to invest another billion on exspansion....No matter how you slice and dice it, with any of the aforementioned additions if they were to do any two it would cost upwards of a billion when you figure in all the cost. This is the same TDO that cut FLE....the same TDO that is balking at Cameron. The same TDO that REFUSES to fix other attractions on the premise ....its just not fiscally prudent to do it now.

I am like the rest of you here. I am all for it. But just dont see it. All this plus a DTD reimagination?....huh?
Call it pessimistic but I am just going what has been a historically tight TDO. All of the sudden they are going to throw caution to the wind and just run up the credit card ?

I believe that the esteemed "insiders" we have has heard these tid bits....but are they simply on a wish list or actually starting construction.....Avatar is moving at a snails pace or at a complete halt...is what we are hearing. Carsland sounds possible....but will it too be cut? I agree with others who say.....Disney if you put CL in WDW you better do it right! You know what that means.....$$$$$$$$$$$ once again does this sound like the TDO we all know and love?
I view you as a realist.

doctornick

Thanks for the reply, but you missed my point. Why would they build Carsland first? Seems like it would be easier to complete MI, and have that attraction online, before taking down two existing attractions to build Carsland.

As far as LMA and BLT... Can I please set off the charges?!? PLEASE...?

Agree with this. The Monsters Inc coaster should be fast-tracked and up and running ASAP to increase capacity and the total number of attractions and make Soundstage 1 used for guest purposes.

I'm a bit curious to see if (assuming Carsland is truly a go) they close down LMA and the Backlot Tour soon and together. OR would they, say, close LMA first, start doing some building there and leave the Backlot open for guests as long as possible before closing it for demolition/construction. Probably not worth it, but it is true that DHS will really hurt for attractions if both LMA and the BLT are closed (talk about a "half day park"). But, hey, at least they'll have the new Jack Sparrow attraction up soon! :cool:

Also, they have a refurb for the BLT scheduled later this year, right? We'll have to see if that gets cancelled or maybe it will close but never re-open, depending on what the plans end up being.

Cosmic Commando

And don't forget that Carsland, despite the success, was very expensive to build. DLR has about 1.7 parks (DCA is pretty small), while WDW has technically 4 gates with aging attractions. Meaning that the smarter buck might be to radically revamp several E-Tickets, and plop down some new rides, rather than to be burdened with the costs of building something new like Carsland if they've got Avatarland already on the burner.
This is just the quickest way of comparing parks, but here's the number attractions on each park's official map (each park seems to have different standards on what is an "attraction", which is why it's hard to compare; I will try to point some questionable "attractions" out:
DL - 60 (questionable: Main St Vehicles are listed separately, Starcade, Bibbidi Bobbidi)
MK - 42 (I added Sorcerers and the questionable: City Hall, Chamber of Commerce package pickup, Harmony Barber Shop, Bibbidi Bobbidi, Pirates League)
DCA - 37 (questionable: bread tour)
Epcot - 32 is what I counted, but depends very heavily on how you count pavilions and their associated parts; I think I was fair.
DAK - 21 (questionable: Rafiki's Planet Watch is divided into four attractions; nearly one out of every five attractions is RPW)
DHS - 18 (questionable: ABC Sound Studio)

Anyway, I think it's fair to say that DCA more than holds its own. It has more than twice as many attractions as DHS!

doctornick

Actually all this replacing this for that, I'm not arguing against the issue of removing it seen as its short jump and I can see it can although be it in Disney Studios, but should they not just keep Indy stunt show and add an attraction seen as they have an expansion pad right at the front of park on the parking lot?

I hate this idea of lets replace x with y when we should be asking for lets keep X and add Y. Maybe its just me though?

This. I'd love to see an Indy ride at DHS (whether a clone of Forbidden Eye, a roller coaster, a water ride, whatever) but don't see why it would have to replace the stunt show when it can instead compliment the show by adding another attraction to the lineup at DHS. It's sad how WDW has tons of space but always seems to replace attractions rather than using the space to it's fullest.

prfctlyximprct

This. I'd love to see an Indy ride at DHS (whether a clone of Forbidden Eye, a roller coaster, a water ride, whatever) but don't see why it would have to replace the stunt show when it can instead compliment the show by adding another attraction to the lineup at DHS. It's sad how WDW has tons of space but always seems to replace attractions rather than using the space to it's fullest.

Epcot is a perfect example of this! They could have another restaurant and another pavilion in future world, as well as 2+ more countries. Don't take away, add!!!

SirLink

TDO don't like to add new stuff though they would rather replace x with y look at the FLE the only new capacity the MK is getting is a restraurant under the vague notion of a French menu.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Is this up to TDO at this point? DTD maybe. Spending a billion on Carsland or Avatar would have to come from the top.

Lee

Adventurer
Approval to spend Carsland-sized money (which isn't a billion) has to come from Burbank. Probably needs Board approval, too.

TDO can ask for it, but they can't write the check. It's easier for them to cut than to spend.

This is an unusual situation where they want to spend. Well, maybe not want[/]...more like need.

Kuhio

Approval to spend Carsland-sized money (which isn't a billion) has to come from Burbank. Probably needs Board approval, too.

TDO can ask for it, but they can't write the check. It's easier for them to cut than to spend.

This is an unusual situation where they want to spend. Well, maybe not want[/]...more like need.

This is not the kind of money that TDO deserves... but it is the kind of money it needs right now.

ParentsOf4

First, it depends on who you think is really making the major decisions at WDW, Burbank or TDO. From a corporate perspective, I doubt TDO has the authority to green light any $100 million plus WDW investment without Burbank's approval. Second, what happens at WDW is largely driven by its financial success. If WDW is making a lot of money for TWDC by building DVCs, raising ticket prices, and cutting corners, then we will continue to get more of that. If, however, revenue and profits are not trending in the direction Burbank wants, "somebody" at a very high level will expect "somebody" at a lower level to "fix it".

WDW has skated by financially for more than 10 years based on reputation (and building more DVCs & higher ticket prices). However, with the wildly successful WWOHP up the road and, more recently, Carsland, it might not be enough anymore. Vacationers actually need a reason to visit WDW, rather than arrogantly taking the position that "we're WDW, everybody loves us". If the rumor mill is to be believed, TDO (or whomever you think is calling the shots) might be forced to take a new approach because the old approach of the last 10+ years is no longer working.

Does this mean the Yeti (for example) will suddenly be fixed? No. However, it does suggest that "the powers that be" are looking for a new business strategy. Perhaps Carsland in DHS and Avatarland in DAK are part of that new strategy. Will both (or even more) come to fruition? It's uncertain at this point. Corporately, change is hard so I strongly suspect there are significant internal battles going on right now within TWDC to set the future direction of WDW. I simply hope it's a different direction than the last 10+ years.

Bolna

I think it may be two months now since Iger said no new big investments. Seems like this announcement had as much truth in it as those "no more discounting" announcements he made in the past.

First they put a lot of money on the table to assume Euro Disney S.C.A.'s 1.7 billion US$ debt (which I guess they were forced to do) and now we are talking substantial investments at DHS... Makes me wonder how the Euro Disney debt will impact any willingness of the board to green light huge investments in the US parks?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom