Y'all should ...

Mawg

Yes, Remember is the best firework show! It shows during the spring, Magical shows during the summer and then there are the holiday shows. You went in June, so Magical should have been showing.

I don't know how I missed it, We were in fantasyland when Tinkerbelle was flying over, can you only see if from the front of the Castle? Seriously bummed

Californian Elitist

I'm glad I caught Remember during both of my visits this year. I remember in January being disappointed when it started out just like Wishes and then it got really good. It is my favorite Disney firework show.

LOL, that's everyone's reaction until the show really starts;) Had you even heard of the show prior to when you first saw it?

Californian Elitist

I don't know how I missed it, We were in fantasyland when Tinkerbelle was flying over, can you only see if from the front of the Castle? Seriously bummed

You can see the fireworks from Fantasyland but not the actual show, including the special effects on the castle. When you went in June, do you remember seeing Dumbo fly during the show at all?

Mawg

You can see the fireworks from Fantasyland but not the actual show, including the special effects on the castle. When you went in June, do you remember seeing Dumbo fly during the show at all?

No, I missed it. For part of the show we were riding Casey Jr. It was nice riding and seeing the fireworks but we had no idea what we were missing from the front of the castle. Seriously considering canceling my June WDW trip and going back to Cali for the family reunion. I know it is unlikely that any of the new construction will start by June in WDW but if it does some more attractions could be closed and the new Fantasyland will not even be complete yet. DL and DCA are in such perfect condition right now.

Pixiedustmaker

The argument that Indy is not as relevant as Car’s or Princesses holds true for the movies and merchandise. Although my son watched the Temple of Doom before we rode the Indy ride at DL and he has been going around talking about it and humming the song for weeks now and wants a whip. But boys and girls (and a lot of us adults) still have a fascination with exploring, archeology and adventure. Whether they know much about Indy or not they still love this stuff and an Indy ride is right up the alley. For a child to feel like they are submersed in some dangerous archeological adventure, that’s just plain cool. This stuff doesn’t go away because there is some new Action Marvel Movie out, or a Pixar Cartoon out. They never stop loving the idea of exploring some tomb or ancient ruin or solving a mystery. Indy will always be relevant.

I'm all for an Indy based roller coaster, or even an Indy clone (albeit with different scenes/plot). I agree that archaeological adventures are still good fun, the Tomb Raider and Mummy movies are sort of in the same genre and did well.

But I'm also a realist. In this day and age, big announcements from Disney are scrutinized, and announcing an Indiana Jones ride for WDW would look dated in many eyes, especially when compared to Potterland/Transformers. Yes, Crystal Skull came out in 2008, but when I think of Indiana Jones, I think of decades past.

Look at the Avatar announcement, a calculated move by Iger to make it look like Disney is "hip" with current pop culture and that they want to do something fresh. I can't see the current leadership announcing that they are making a new land/attraction based on Indy, they want to be in front of the wave so it can lift their boat, not behind it.

Rasvar

LOL, that's everyone's reaction until the show really starts;) Had you even heard of the show prior to when you first saw it?

No, I try to avoid seeing them before I go for the first time. I like to be surprised. So I was. Even though I grew up with WDW and not DLR, a lot of the show resonated. I also loved some of the really old callbacks in the show. But I broke out laughing with "Please remain seated" by Jack Wagner. What other voice could inspire a t-shirt? "Please stand clear of the doors..."

Por+favor.jpg

Californian Elitist

Aaww man!:( Well at least you were getting another ride in and not wasting time:) If you're going to cancel WDW in June, I just want to let you know Thunder Mountain at DL is apparently going down for a huge refurb and will be down for the majority of the year. Also, if you want to see Remember (the video I posted), I don't think it shows in June. Magical is a really good show, too. I don't know if you've ever heard of it.

Here's a video of Remember, without all the cheers and screams from the locals. The video I posted was from opening night and people were going crazy:

Here's Magical, which I consider to be a great show as well. If you go in June, I believe this is the show you'll be seeing:

Pixiedustmaker

The only way Avatar fits into the picture is that it's delay makes it possible for CarsLand to slide into that 2015/2016 slot perfectly. If Avatar happens, it would be their next major draw in 2018/2019.

Carsland is a big hit, and I think it will stay that way. Not sure how the bean counters are looking at all of this, to "make it official", they might want to wait a year to see how Carsland holds up. Probably splitting hairs when trying to differentiate between a great success, and unexpected & completely amazing runaway hit. Just conjecture, but of course folks are looking closely at Carsland.

What about FLE? Its story has yet to be written, in terms of success, and though it is thematically unrelated to Carsland, if FLE bombs, or does unexpectedly well, they'll want to study and learn from whatever lessons can be derived from this experience. Also, there might be park cannibalization when FLE opens, and which park will get hit the most? Will the resort gain guests as a whole? Nobody knows, but what happens might change timetables for different parks, and push various projects to the front burner.

And don't forget that Carsland, despite the success, was very expensive to build. DLR has about 1.7 parks (DCA is pretty small), while WDW has technically 4 gates with aging attractions. Meaning that the smarter buck might be to radically revamp several E-Tickets, and plop down some new rides, rather than to be burdened with the costs of building something new like Carsland if they've got Avatarland already on the burner.

Californian Elitist

No, I try to avoid seeing them before I go for the first time. I like to be surprised. So I was. Even though I grew up with WDW and not DLR, a lot of the show resonated. I also loved some of the really old callbacks in the show. But I broke out laughing with "Please remain seated" by Jack Wagner. What other voice could inspire a t-shirt? "Please stand clear of the doors..."

Por+favor.jpg

Wow, so you were totally unaware. I definitely agree with your statement about the show resonating. IMO, you don't have to have grown up with Disneyland to enjoy the show. I think it compliments any of the castle-style Disney parks really well. It speaks to all Disney fans.

I think pretty much everyone laughs during the Matterhorn English and Spanish spiel, including myself. I don't know why but it's kind of funny! Those Jack Wagner spiels are classics.

Mawg

I'm all for an Indy based roller coaster, or even an Indy clone (albeit with different scenes/plot). I agree that archaeological adventures are still good fun, the Tomb Raider and Mummy movies are sort of in the same genre and did well.

But I'm also a realist. In this day and age, big announcements from Disney are scrutinized, and announcing an Indiana Jones ride for WDW would look dated in many eyes, especially when compared to Potterland/Transformers. Yes, Crystal Skull came out in 2008, but when I think of Indiana Jones, I think of decades past.

Look at the Avatar announcement, a calculated move by Iger to make it look like Disney is "hip" with current pop culture and that they want to do something fresh. I can't see the current leadership announcing that they are making a new land/attraction based on Indy, they want to be in front of the wave so it can lift their boat, not behind it.

I guess I see your point but also remember who pays for the vacation. Mom and Dad and most Mom's and Dad's are at the age right now where they were the ones that grew up with Dr. Jones. So the kids might not be begging to go because they don't know who Indy is but mom and dad sure do.

Pixiedustmaker

I guess I see your point but also remember who pays for the vacation. Mom and Dad and most Mom's and Dad's are at the age right now where they were the ones that grew up with Dr. Jones. So the kids might not be begging to go because they don't know who Indy is but mom and dad sure do.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade came out in 1989, feels like yesterday for me, but somebody born in 1989 would be 23, or so, today, right around average child rearing age! Ten years after they build a new Indy ride, there would be even less brand recognition. Most folks are introduced to Indy via DVDs and such, nothing wrong with that, but not the same as the media whipped up for an Indiana Jones film. Remember, just 59% like the last Indy film, and didn't Spielberg saying something along the lines of not really wanting to have made the film?

I think a new Indy ride would be a hit, especially with teenage boys, but Disney doesn't want to do anything that looks dated, IMHO, plus they got so many great films coming out that could be made into attractions, they'd probably have to figure out a way to strike up a deal with Lucas.

Mawg

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade came out in 1989, feels like yesterday for me, but somebody born in 1989 would be 23, or so, today, right around average child rearing age! Ten years after they build a new Indy ride, there would be even less brand recognition. Most folks are introduced to Indy via DVDs and such, nothing wrong with that, but not the same as the media whipped up for an Indiana Jones film. Remember, just 59% like the last Indy film, and didn't Spielberg saying something along the lines of not really wanting to have made the film?

I think a new Indy ride would be a hit, especially with teenage boys, but Disney doesn't want to do anything that looks dated, IMHO, plus they got so many great films coming out that could be made into attractions, they'd probably have to figure out a way to strike up a deal with Lucas.

I agree, I don't think Disney will build it either, I still think it would be a great attraction but it would not have the media bling. I'm happy to see they are looking into car's land, Avatar and MI coaster. No more princess stuff for a little while. I like that they are looking at things that are attractive to Boys and Girls and even teenagers.

Goofyernmost

Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular is suffering from the same thing as the original Star Tours did. While the Franchises of Star Wars and Indiana Jones are timeless, the attractions were not timeless. The original Star Tours wasn't aging gracefully when it was replaced by Star Tours: The Adventure Continues. Stunt Shows need to have changes after a while to keep the show fresh and Disney never did that for Indiana Jones. If Disney doesn't bother updating or changing the show once in a while, they might as well get a rid of it.

There is an old saying that goes...one man's garbage is another man's treasure. We, as Disney Fans, always seem to lose sight of the fact that only we are seeing it over and over and over. It is stale to us, but not to the people outside the groups that are either Indiana Jones fans or Disney fans. The newbee's would make up the vast majority of guests at WDW.

I have never seen an Indiana Jones movie...yet I enjoy the stunt show and for the purposes of a stunt show there is no need to change anything. If judging by the full house almost every performance I would have to say that the general public doesn't have a problem with it either. It is a simple, but great show and if I had to guess I would guess that 80% of the audience are first time viewers. To them it is as fresh as it was to us when the park first opened. We are way to quick sometimes to put our own thoughts and opinions into the minds of others and assume that they see things the same way we do.

Why does HM or PoTC or Peter Pan or Jungle Cruise never need replacement? Because we all love to see it over and over and remember what was great about it. Disney doesn't have a good track record for redoing a current attraction. Think Imagination or the Tiki Room or Alien Encounter.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Why do you think building an Indiana Jones attraction would make Disney look any more dated then building an entire land based on Dumbo, Little Mermaid, and Beauty and the Beast which all pre-date the most recent Indiana Jones movie?

Rasvar

Wow, so you were totally unaware. I definitely agree with your statement about the show resonating. IMO, you don't have to have grown up with Disneyland to enjoy the show. I think it compliments any of the castle-style Disney parks really well. It speaks to all Disney fans.

I think pretty much everyone laughs during the Matterhorn English and Spanish spiel, including myself. I don't know why but it's kind of funny! Those Jack Wagner spiels are classics.

I have to admit that one of the funniest Jack Wagner thing I have heard is him doing a George Carlin bit on the F-word. There is just something wrong with hearing this voice of Disney doing a routine like that in a straight deadpan style.

Now that I have completely gone so far off topic. Ob topic:
I will be disappointed if the Indy Show is taken out. I still enjoy it. But there have been accidents, so I could understand replacing it. If it does go, I would be disappointed if it is not replaced by another Indy attraction of some kind. But please no Shai LeBeouf!

culturenthrills

Bah! You haven't lived unless you were a little kid during the days of the "single lap bar for your whole row" days of ToT! A little kid seated in a row of adults would just fly up into that thing! Oh how I prayed to get the single seat in the middle of the back row with a seat belt!

Oh man, everytime we would ride we would hope to get the seat belt seat. That is still the best seat cause you can extend your legs out and get more airtime on the drops.

culturenthrills

I'm glad I caught Remember during both of my visits this year. I remember in January being disappointed when it started out just like Wishes and then it got really good. It is my favorite Disney firework show.

Remember is amazing. I got to go to DL during the 50th and it just blows away Wishes. I would hope we get something similar for WDW 50th. Hopefully it won't be replacing Wishes but a newer show.

doctornick

Cameron isn't going to get everything he wants, that would blow the budget sky high.
There will have to be compromise on both sides, or else....you know.

Sure. But I hope and think that Cameron could get "a lot" of what he wants, certainly more than some random Imagineer pitching an idea. Because he can simply walk away and threaten the whole project.

Goofyernmost

Cosmic Commando said:
Bah! You haven't lived unless you were a little kid during the days of the "single lap bar for your whole row" days of ToT! A little kid seated in a row of adults would just fly up into that thing!

Ah...the good old days. Remember it well. Fortunately for me, I was usually the biggest person in the row so it didn't really cause me any problems. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom