Y'all should ...

nytimez

Sure, but it has many names. Currently, it's called The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. :D

I dunno if that's true -- I read on these boards to WWoHP is too small, "only" has one new attraction and that it's based on a dying franchise that "won't last" and that Disney was smart to "let" Universal have it.

baymenxpac

who knows how we got here, but i'll chip into the drift:

huge SW fan, HUGE RotJ fan, and totally not into endor at all. shrug. not saying it couldn't be cool nor that i wouldn't be stoked to see it, but i always thought the scenes on endor were the worst parts of RotJ. but i digress, since we are, after all, debating the merits of a hypothetical attraction.

bubbles1812

I dunno if that's true -- I read on these boards to WWoHP is too small, "only" has one new attraction and that it's based on a dying franchise that "won't last" and that Disney was smart to "let" Universal have it.

Yeah, and look how terribly that decision has been for Universal. It's not like that one attraction was voted best new attraction in the world. Or that their unique merchandise is flying off the shelves as fast as they stock it. Or that it has massively improved park attendance and brought in giant loads of cash in general. Or that it was so successful that they are building a second part to the land just a few years after the first was completed while their competitor down the road drags their feet. Wasn't that something at Disney? ...no...wait just a second...that was WWHoP! :rolleyes:

Not obtaining Potter was one of the biggest mistakes of the current Disney era in my humble opinion. Disney clearly underestimated the popularity of Potter as well the impact it could have. That business decision was about as dumb as a bunch of rocks. Actually, that might be an insult to rocks everywhere to imply that it was dumber than they are. *apologizes to the rocks*

nytimez

Yeah, and look how terribly that decision has been for Universal. It's not like that one attraction was voted best new attraction in the world. Or that their unique merchandise is flying off the shelves as fast as they stock it. Or that it has massively improved park attendance and brought in giant loads of cash in general. Or that it was so successful that they are building a second part to the land just a few years after the first was completed while their competitor down the road drags their feet. Wasn't that something at Disney? ...no...wait just a second...that was WWHoP! :rolleyes:

Not obtaining Potter was one of the biggest mistakes of the current Disney era in my humble opinion. Disney clearly underestimated the popularity of Potter as well the impact it could have. That business decision was about as dumb as a bunch of rock.s Actually, that might be insult to rocks everywhere that it was as dumb as they are. *apologizes to the rocks*

Oh, I agree 100 percent with everything you wrote there -- I'm just pointing out that nothing gets universal (pun intended) acclaim around here.

El Grupo

This is what the Spirit was alluding to a few threads ago, where he opined that WDW'd need more than a billion to get things up to speed.

Here's what it comes down to, Jim Hill pointed out all the spending that's been going on, infrastructure wise, and I'm sure he's right about a lot of that. But spending on roads, and DVC, etc. is not the same (to us, anyway) as attractions and theming in the parks. Two separate animals. And, if they want to sell DVC, they need things to make people want to come back. Arguably--and I think this would be TDO's point--they have that already. We 1-percenters (and by that I mean the actually MUCH LESS than 1 percent of park visitors that are Disney fans) see these things more acutely--and an average DVC purchaser is probably happy coming once a year for a few days, for years, without griping about the minutae that we all go on about, here.

But, still--attractions. Attractions. Another Disney Decade, where it seemed like new wonders (and, admittedly, some not-so-wonders) sprung up like weeds. As much as DHS needs a 2.0 version, Epcot,
FutureWorld especially, needs the same.

Can the economy support it, these days, though? Who knows.

Ramble mode, off . . . well, sorta.

Yes, considering the cutbacks in park maintenance and limited investment in new attractions across WDW over the last few years, I think Disney is looking at well over a billion (actually a few billion) to return the resort to its late 90s show quality and make all four parks full-day experiences, plus address DTD. When you count the actual attractions across all four parks, doesn't WDW have fewer today than a decade ago?

Disney has 9 years until the 50th anniversary of WDW. Plenty of time to spread the costs over multiple fiscal years. But, the clock is ticking.

Ignohippo

Hurling insults now? Shame, I thought you better than that.

Don't overestimate me.:)

Besides, it really isn't an insult. There are just us old geezers who know when Star Wars was good and the 15-year old sect who really only know the craptacular prequels and think that is what Star Wars is all about (and I'm joking a bit about that, at least the Clone Wars TV show is amazing).

nytimez

Don't overestimate me.:)

Besides, it really isn't an insult. There are just us old geezers who know when Star Wars was good and the 15-year old sect who really only know the craptacular prequels and think that is what Star Wars is all about (and I'm joking a bit about that, at least the Clone Wars TV show is amazing).

You can love the Forest Moon of Endor all you want and think it's a wonderful idea for a ride. I don't -- but it's really not something to start name-calling over. And yes, calling someone a 15-year-old is an insult and don't pretend otherwise.

Also, I take it the irony of accusing someone of being a child while arguing about Star Wars is lost on you?

Ignohippo

You can love the Forest Moon of Endor all you want and think it's a wonderful idea for a ride. I don't -- but it's really not something to start name-calling over. And yes, calling someone a 15-year-old is an insult and don't pretend otherwise.

Also, I take it the irony of accusing someone of being a child while arguing about Star Wars is lost on you?

You're being entirely too sensitive.

cookiee_munster

Good lord, the last 2 pages have been intertwined with star wars related jargon! *smacks bottoms* :p

a rollercoaster for avatar? i really was thinking something a little more technical, like harry potter, like dinosaur etc. i don't see how they could pull off the effect of flying around the floating mountains without it being part dark ride (like rockin' rollercoaster) as disney don't like to create rollercoasters that cant implement the track into the theme. otherwise it starts to look cheap and six flaggy.

honestly. as much im not all that keen on clones, id much rather see cars land over avatar.

devoy1701

Actually...you'd be surprised how often it gets thrown on the table. Including fairly recently...

yay, a 17 year old attraction finally making its way over here! :eek:

Seriously...people are still trying to throw this one around as if it would be a worthwhile addition to WDW? A 17-year old attraction?!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You all are stark-raving (no pun intended) looney if you think TDO would ever green light BOTH Avatar and CarsLand at the same time. Especially after the FLE.
Stranger things have happened. This isnt all TDO, but I'll still be surprised if both move forward quicker than they are doing!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom