Y'all should ...

Atomicmickey

I don't think it's greedy. But then again I want both AND an addition to Epcot too.

This is what the Spirit was alluding to a few threads ago, where he opined that WDW'd need more than a billion to get things up to speed.

Here's what it comes down to, Jim Hill pointed out all the spending that's been going on, infrastructure wise, and I'm sure he's right about a lot of that. But spending on roads, and DVC, etc. is not the same (to us, anyway) as attractions and theming in the parks. Two separate animals. And, if they want to sell DVC, they need things to make people want to come back. Arguably--and I think this would be TDO's point--they have that already. We 1-percenters (and by that I mean the actually MUCH LESS than 1 percent of park visitors that are Disney fans) see these things more acutely--and an average DVC purchaser is probably happy coming once a year for a few days, for years, without griping about the minutae that we all go on about, here.

But, still--attractions. Attractions. Another Disney Decade, where it seemed like new wonders (and, admittedly, some not-so-wonders) sprung up like weeds. As much as DHS needs a 2.0 version, Epcot,
FutureWorld especially, needs the same.

Can the economy support it, these days, though? Who knows.

Ramble mode, off . . . well, sorta.

SirLink

No it doesn't mean one or the other yet.

In all other businesses capital investment would of already been invested into new attractions into these parks not just plussing but actually adding its been like 6-7 years for both parks since an attraction of note was dropped down.

Californian Elitist

I could not let this one go by. It made me laugh hard. On Saturday, I was walking around the Adventure Tower and heard a horrific yowl come from the bushes followed shortly by a the most hilarious feral cat chase I have ever seen. It add the "wild" to the Adventure Tower theme. :D

That's nothing. I almost ran one over when I was driving the Casey Jr one day. Scared the crap out of me. Those cats are something else.

Ignohippo

You all are stark-raving (no pun intended) looney if you think TDO would ever green light BOTH Avatar and CarsLand at the same time. Especially after the FLE.

TDO sees WDW as one destination (instead of looking at each park and property as it's own separate entity and business, as it should). They would see CarsLand or Avatar as expansions that would drive business to the entire resort. There's no way they'd consider two $500 mil expenditures at the same time – in their minds, it would affect the bottom line way too much and they would cannibalize each other for attendance. While common sense would say they're two different audiences and each would be a big enough draw to increase attendance in both parks (Uni has Potter but is still adding Despicable Me and Transformers), TDO has never seen things that way. In their way of thinking, they could get families to take two trips instead of one by building them at different times.

The FLE is a perfect example. They could have had the SWMT come online in 2013 if they wanted. But they don't. By stalling the opening of each section, they've created reasons for families to take multiple trips, and passholders to re-up for multiple years (personally, I think they've WAY over-estimated the draw of the SWMT - especially with Potter2 opening around the same time).

IF we see both projects, the most likely scenario is CarsLand in 2015/16 and Avatar in 2018/19. That gives them a couple of years to see how Avatar 2/3 are developing before greenlighting the project and would give them the staggered openings that they've proven they desire. The "budget" problems with Avatar are more than likely part of a bigger stalling tactic.

bubbles1812

Please don't tell me innoventions is becoming stark industries.... I love iron man and all but ugh. Epcot is my dream park and no matter how bad it gets I still get chills even looking at it on Google maps.

But of all places that fit with iron man, that would be the place. I just hope there's Scotch.

As others have said, you don't have to worry about any Marvel characters appearing at WDW whatsover... Universal has those rights (which I'm sure Disney would love to get at if they didn't have to pay a few billion to do so...no way Universal gives up those without getting giant pile of money first).

If Ironman comes to DL, think that would honestly be great. Ironman is a hugely popular property and I'm sure they could get Robert Downey Jr. to do some fun stuff for them regarding preshow or something. It would definitely be attractive to little boys, and with Carsland already there, would make quite the winning combo. Disney attracts girls really well and does boys as well, but less so in my opinion, especially as the grow a little older. Those two together would be great. I no qualms about Innovations going away for something like that, though I know others would probably take issue with it.

Also really hope we can somehow someday get both Avatar and Carsland (or something along its lines). I know some people are against Avatar period but I will take a major edition at each of the two WDW parks that really need it the most over just one at one of them anyday. And I honestly think the Avatar plans, at least as described in this thread, could actually be a winner. It's as "big" as the project needs to be for success. Anything less and I think it has a much bigger chance of flopping.

choco choco

'Cause, say what you will about Avatar, at least it wouldn't be a clone. I mean,
in some ways, with this coaster thing. But, you know what I mean.

Color me in the same boat. The Avatar attractions sound amazing, and I hope Cameron fights for every penny to get that entire version of it in. And credit to Rohde, who hasn't had much of a chance to prove himself lately and then comes out with a smashing proposal for a difficult concept.

See how much better things would be if people didn't ask for clones all the time...

M.rudolf

You all are stark-raving (no pun intended) looney if you think TDO would ever green light BOTH Avatar and CarsLand at the same time. Especially after the FLE.

TDO sees WDW as one destination (instead of looking at each park and property as it's own separate entity and business, as it should). They would see CarsLand or Avatar as expansions that would drive business to the entire resort. There's no way they'd consider two $500 mil expenditures at the same time – in their minds, it would affect the bottom line way too much and they would cannibalize each other for attendance. While common sense would say they're two different audiences and each would be a big enough draw to increase attendance in both parks (Uni has Potter but is still adding Despicable Me and Transformers), TDO has never seen things that way. In their way of thinking, they could get families to take two trips instead of one by building them at different times.

The FLE is a perfect example. They could have had the SWMT come online in 2013 if they wanted. But they don't. By stalling the opening of each section, they've created reasons for families to take multiple trips, and passholders to re-up for multiple years (personally, I think they've WAY over-estimated the draw of the SWMT - especially with Potter2 opening around the same time).

IF we see both projects, the most likely scenario is CarsLand in 2015/16 and Avatar in 2018/19. That gives them a couple of years to see how Avatar 2/3 are developing before greenlighting the project and would give them the staggered openings that they've proven they desire. The "budget" problems with Avatar are more than likely part of a bigger stalling tactic.
No one said anything about the same time but staggering them thru the fiscal year is absolutely possible. Also what if they brought in sponsors for avatar the flying mountains sponsored by apple etc

PurpleRose

For a moment, my mind began to wander as to Stark Industries being at EPCOT until I remembered about Universal. Not saying good or bad, just began to contemplate (Hey, I'm on mandatory OT but at the moment we're slow. Give me a break)

Also, I think a speeder chase through Endor would be awesome. ^_^

Ignohippo

No one said anything about the same time but staggering them thru the fiscal year is absolutely possible. Also what if they brought in sponsors for avatar the flying mountains sponsored by apple etc

It certainly wouldn't be the same fiscal year. Same decade is more likely...

themonkeyisthesultan

For a moment, my mind began to wander as to Stark Industries being at EPCOT until I remembered about Universal. Not saying good or bad, just began to contemplate (Hey, I'm on mandatory OT but at the moment we're slow. Give me a break)

Also, I think a speeder chase through Endor would be awesome. ^_^

There are speeder bikes if you go to Kashyyyk in Star Tours plus there are wookies there and everyone knows wookies are better than ewoks.

PurpleRose

There are speeder bikes if you go to Kashyyyk in Star Tours plus there are wookies there and everyone knows wookies are better than ewoks.

So not the same thing. So not at all what I was talking about.
That's IF you go to Kashyyyk. I'm talking about a speeder bike ride. Not pod racing. Not a randomized scene. A speeder bike ride.

nytimez

So not the same thing. So not at all what I was talking about.
That's IF you go to Kashyyyk. I'm talking about a speeder bike ride. Not pod racing. Not a randomized scene. A speeder bike ride.

Rent a scooter and ride through the Redwood Forest. Cheaper than a WDW trip. And you might even see Lucas.

Also, Wookies kick all kinds of butt on Ewoks.

Ignohippo

Rent a scooter and ride through the Redwood Forest. Cheaper than a WDW trip. And you might even see Lucas.

Also, Wookies kick all kinds of butt on Ewoks.

Agreed with PurpleRose. nytimes, you speak about Star Wars like someone who's 15. Kashyyk v Endor? Seriously!? No one cares about Kashyyk. Ask 100 people what Endor is and then ask the same people what Kashyyk is. I'll bet the responses would be 25 to 1. They did a great job with Kashyyk in Star tours. That's good enough.

The speeder bike scenes in RotJ were pivotal to the franchise. Besides, as I said before, this would only be one component of a much larger SW land. You couldn't build a SW land without some kind of speeder bike ride.

nytimez

Agreed with PurpleRose. nytimes, you speak about Star Wars like someone who's 15. Kashyyk v Endor? Seriously!? No one cares about Kashyyk. Ask 100 people what Endor is and then ask the same people what Kashyyk is. I'll bet the responses would be 25 to 1. They did a great job with Kashyyk in Star tours. That's good enough.

The speeder bike scenes in RotJ were pivotal to the franchise. Besides, as I said before, this would only be one component of a much larger SW land. You couldn't build a SW land without some kind of speeder bike ride.

Hurling insults now? Shame, I thought you better than that.

FWIW, I didn't even mention Kashyyk -- only Wookies and Ewoks. If you want to insult me over something, fine - but at least choose something I said.

Magenta Panther

Avatar has no concrete plans. That's the mess it's in. Announce something, a vague distant opening date, and then decide what to do. I believe what's listed is a current proposal.

Guess that's why Iger didn't want to talk about Avatar at the last stockholders' meeting. What could he say? "I got nothing." :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom